A Year in space..

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Well here i EU, for us Space time is relative.. and 45 to 70 minutes flying through space is one thing..

But what if we had to take lover and lover flights.. say 30, 60, 90 days or more.. Well NASA has in fact done this before.. with the Skylab Station missions back in 1973..

But wait, there's more.. Let's ay that were' going to go to Mars.. and yes they say it's goable..

How long would it take? At least a year to go to mars and back.. Unless the astronauts that are going to wars are going to stay there for quite a while..

Well this last week, AAmerican Astronaut Scott kelly is going to try and prove that spending a year n space is in fact Child's play )Or so we hope)

Scott Kelly is the brother of Mark Kelly a now retired astronaut who used to do shuttle missions, after his wife former Arizona US Senator Gabrielle Giffords was wounded and injured in an assassination attempt some 3 years ago, Mark haas just retired from the astronaut carrer and has let his brother Scott now take his place in the history books..

Mr. Kelly if everything goes right will spend a total of 342 days (or almost a year) but with his additional flight time h had with his young brother during the shuttle era, Scott Kelly will have spent more than 522 days in space.. and that in itself ia a record ..

But wait there's more.. remember that i said flying is space is relative.? Well this is a bit of an Einsteinian test.. and in fact Scott is just 6 minutes younger than his brother, mark..

Now put an astronaut into space for a year and in fact due to his speed (EEven though it's a paltry 185000 mph, means that Scott will age a little bit slower than his brother.. Thus in a sense Mark will be a lot older (by fractions of a second than his younger brother.

Eistein called this "The Twin Paradox.." and his theory stated that if you had two twins who were identical and you sent one at the speed of light say to the nearest star, 4.3 light yers away and then returned im..while he's only have aged about 8.5 years, his brother on earth would have aged almost 70.. and this is if the brother going to the nearest star would be traveling as close to the speed of light as possible..

So in a way this is a double test.. One test is to see if we can stay alive i space for over 300 days, (Even nasA has never done this, being that the lonest stay s in sklab were just 83 days tops.. and even then in the ISS most astronauts don't say beyond say 180 days.. so believe me, this is going to be an epic trip.. around the eart, over and over again.. 90 minutses per revolution, 24000 miles in travel didtace for the next 342 dayys..

The math alone will give anyone a headache.. even me..

So heere is to Scoot, who is already onboard the station and is alreaydy 3 days into the 342 dys stay.. so 3 days down, 339 to go..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
aA.K.A> and "His_Dog_Spot"

Now put an astronaut into space for a year and in fact due to his speed (EEven though it's a paltry 185000 mph, means that Scott will age a little bit slower than his brother.. Thus in a sense Mark will be a lot older (by fractions of a second than his younger brother.

I was never good at math or science, but if people are not going faster than the speed of light.. then you are not catching up time?

Beats me why plans and effort hasn't been put into making anti-grav crafts? You'd have to construct it in space, but really, shouldn't that be the initial goal, make a space dock from where bigger crafts can be constructed? (read assembled)

For long missions, surely (without the invention of true artificial gravity) the way to go is centrifuge living quarters?

Last edited:
I was never good at math or science, but if people are not going faster than the speed of light.. then you are not catching up time?

if you move you "catching up time" (hope this phrase is what I think it is) no matter with what speed
in theory if you move with the speed of light the time must stop
(in CERN they speeding protons up to 99,99 % of the speed of light and the time effect "appear" ... and it must "count" this effect even on satelits and GPS systems)

and for the "arti-grav crafts" ... to do this first must find the "graviton" ... the particle that is suppose to be the gravity field carrier .... or learn how to "bend space" ... and ...
there are a lot of theories, but if we don't find some way to do "wormholes" or "teleportation" or "hiper space traveling" we will be "stuck" in our solar system ... because even with the speed of light we will need 4.3 years to go to the nearest star ...

p.s.: or maybe some day the aliens will come and will show how to travel acros the universe :)

p.s.: or maybe they are already here :) :) :)

But surely time is a man made creation. Not a constant that is there no matter what, but a creation of ours that bends or moves across different parameters. The illusion of time.

Our biological bodies do not need to conform to our set parameters of time. It wouldn't be so much a case of slowing down time in order to live longer, but rather moving quicker through time to get somewhere much sooner.

Time is relative... especially in the UK where " I'll be there in 5!" or " just give me 2 mins" means nothing of the sort ;)

Last edited:
So, if I go to work by car every day I live a second longer than If I go by bike?

If speeding faster (although not as fast as the speed of light) makes you age less..

So, if I go to work by car every day I live a second longer than If I go by bike?

If speeding faster (although not as fast as the speed of light) makes you age less..

can say yes, but not a second ... it is more like 0,000000000001 seconds (there are maybe a few more "0" there but it is something like this)
and if you think ... we all are moving with very very big speed, as the planet rotate and spin around the sun, the sun spin around the black hole in the center of the galaxy and the galaxy move towards Andromeda galaxy .. so basicly we are moving with very very .... very big speed :)

But surely time is a man made creation. Not a constant that is there no matter what, but a creation of ours that bends or moves across different parameters. The illusion of time.

Our biological bodies do not need to conform to our set parameters of time. It wouldn't be so much a case of slowing down time in order to live longer, but rather moving quicker through time to get somewhere much sooner.

Time is relative... especially in the UK where " I'll be there in 5!" or " just give me 2 mins" means nothing of the sort ;)

Time is a real thing, it's the fourth dimension and without it we would not exist. This is why you hear the word spacetime. It's not the time in space but a way to represent the four dimensions (three spacial and time).

Time is variable. :)

The "twin" paradox.

Actually the person who is moving (Even at a slower rate of speed than the speed of light) will actually have time dialate for ihhim or her by a tiny fraction of a nano second.. so in a way a person who is younger than his brother (Even by a few minutes) would in theory catch up to his brother's age by those few fractions of a nano second.. IN shor, the gamep between the two would narrow..

Now at higher velocities approaching the speed of light (c in Einseitn formula E=Mc^2) a person who is traveling at that velocity would have time dialated by a considerable amount.. and in stead of tiny fractions we're talking days and even years..

So in the example.. Let's ay Scott (The younger brother ) was sent to Alpha Centauri some 4.3 light years away at say 90=95% of the Speed of light, the time dialation would be so great that Scott would hagve at most aged at least 10 years,, mean while Mark would be probably dead or a almost in the grave aging up to 70 yers.,. and this is what Einstein called "The Twin Paradoa" Thwhere two identical twins would have vast age differences if one traveled at the speed of light while the other remained on earth..

So in shrt this is an experiment in a way of that Theory..

Time is variable. :)

and in case you notice Time in a way is variab le provided you go fasas fast or as close as fast to the speed of light as possible.

Or as a certain Gallifrean Time Lord would say..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a "The Blind Sniper" (and) "His_Dog_Spot"

Back