4G as internet@home

minim

Elite
Society
Rangers
Mini MiniM Mine
I'm considering 4G LTE as exchange for my current ISP. I live in a "remote location" without fiber and with a 4km long copper (adsl) line that sucks. Currently I have a radiolink (5.8Ghz) limited to 6/6mbit and that's max of what I can get from adsl/radiolink that are my two options. Now a telephone provider has mounted a 4G LTE antenna just 1.5km out from here and when testing with a Samsung galaxy S5 I get 18mbit up/down from it. The provider sells a Huawei B593S router to go with the data pack of 200gb/month. The big question is how good can 4G LTE be for gaming and is 200gb/monthly quota enough for someone who uses the computer ALOT? :)

If you don't stream any video 200gig maybe ok. I go through that in about 2 weeks playing games and streaming netflix and amazon prime. I have games on steam that always update. Usually 50meg a day.

You may have connectivity issues on bad weather days. My phones 4g always reverts to 3g when it snows or rains. Wireless isn't as stable as landline in my experience.
Maybe track your bandwidth use for a few months first.

200Gb should be plenty unless you're streaming a lot of video.

I went a bit mad on the streaming from Crunchyroll and I only got my fibre connection to ~170Gb in a month but that's standard resolution not HD.

I'm considering 4G LTE as exchange for my current ISP. I live in a "remote location" without fiber and with a 4km long copper (adsl) line that sucks. Currently I have a radiolink (5.8Ghz) limited to 6/6mbit and that's max of what I can get from adsl/radiolink that are my two options. Now a telephone provider has mounted a 4G LTE antenna just 1.5km out from here and when testing with a Samsung galaxy S5 I get 18mbit up/down from it. The provider sells a Huawei B593S router to go with the data pack of 200gb/month. The big question is how good can 4G LTE be for gaming and is 200gb/monthly quota enough for someone who uses the computer ALOT? :)

I bought a house recently and had no internet for a month. After like 2 days I was going crazy while I wait for the Internet guy to turn it on. So I Hotspotted my cell. I had perfect speed. Played a few days and had no problems

It works good for download speed and so, but you should look what latency your connection have today and what to expect with 4G.
Mobile connections like 3 and 4G often have worse latency then DSL(All depending on situation though).

Connections is more than just upload and download imo(not many think about it though).

Just my 2 pec

/ Del

It works good for download speed and so, but you should look what latency your connection have today and what to expect with 4G.
Mobile connections like 3 and 4G often have worse latency then DSL(All depending on situation though).

Connections is more than just upload and download imo(not many think about it though).

Just my 2 pec

/ Del

Yeah I'm aware of that part but due to long distance for ADSL the line is very unstable and low speed so the ping times vary alot. The central is also full so I have to wait for a spot again to connect back in. The radiolink is at 5.8Ghz and is broadcastet from the same tower as the 4G LTE but the difference is 6mbit speet to 50mbit++ from 4G. I have very limited knowledge about ping times on 4G vs radiolink tho.

Someone mentioned unstability in bad weather. Here LTE should be better than 5.8Ghz radiolink shouldn't it? Lower frequenzy tend to reach longer and penetrate better at the same power in my experience but the 5.8 link is limited to 25mW I belive but cell phones are 1watt+?

As others have said, Streaming video is the killer. My sis will go well over 200gbs from streaming netflix everyday.

Rgds

Ace

Just my 2 pec

/ Del

Yeah, latency is the key element in online gaming... Conn speed is secondary thing.

LTE is supposed to have low ping.

I often use my phone as hotspot when traveling.
When it shows 3G or H+ chances are good that i have a good latency around 50ms
But i can also happen that the latency swings between 1500ms and 50ms

With the swings it is impossible to hunt because of lots of fails and lag.
Everything else works with some lags.

On test with the galaxy s5 I think I've been around 20-25ms in ping. That's around the same as I get with radio link but the problem there is that it's not consistent. Some days it's 20-25 and some it's 30-40. Spikes is also very common with the worst timing..

As you have a LTE device already just connect it to your PC and try it :wise:
Then you will know if it will be an improvment.

PS: You can use USB-Tethering if you PC does not have a wifi connection

Edit:
EU itself is consuming very low amount of traffic, you can run it even on slow 64kb isdn connection.
VUs ofcourse is another topic...

I got the device but the carrier has limited the speed it's only 1gb quota/month. It's not phone (my carrier only has edge coverage here) so can't experiment much with it.

As i said, EU does not generate much traffic.

Get any cheap prepaid card and test it.

Back