To All Gaming Developers (In and out of EU) : Stop giving us Eye Candy!

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Video games.. the blessing and bane of society, and in today's little post, the thing is this..

To all the Game developers out there who make games (and this MMO's like EU as well) HEre's a simple sentence..

Please stop giving us.. Eye Candy.

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter if you are turned on by Princess Peach (or Daisy, or Rosaline, Or Zelda for that matter) or by girls like Jill Valentine.. Or Bayonetta.. or any of the other hot looking women that are out there.. Let's just be honest.. Stop giving us that Eye candy...

It seems as of late Game develoopers have create a lot of women who in video games Lack.. what is the word? Oh yeah, Personality. They have no real 3rd deimention, no real storyline you can relate to, no .. well toehr than the body, they really have no real personality..

After all women (even in Games like Bioshock Infinite), should have some personality to them right (Okay so I used a cheap shot here by saying Elizabeth from that game is vapid.. Well to be honest, she isn't.. heck, Jill Valentine or Blood rayne or even Lara Croft is less charming the more you get to know them in a personality sort of way..

I mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. and in fact this question goes all teh way back to the 1960's and early 70's..

I mean let's take a couple of the best known examples in the real work (of Television and Cartoons) and then ASpply them here..

First off we all know Gilligan's Island..(at leas those of us over 40 remember it..) But the fisrst quesstion that a lot of guys who sat around the bar was perhaps the most Undignified question that came out of their moths.s.. That question?

If you had to choose between the Starlet (Ginger Grant (A hot looking Redhead who was a sttarlet back in the 1960's), and Mary Anne, (A nice down to earth country girl from the middle of Kansas), which one would you go out with..

(And from a lot of guys back then (and even now, they's rather take the Eye Candy Ginger to the loveable and more personality driven Mary Anne. )

Then from the Cartoon sspect back in the early 1970's there came a similar question, a question where you had all those horny Teenage boys (who sat around the soda shop talking about of all things, girls), and this question came to mind.. and in fact it's exacftly similar to the last one..

If you in Scooby Doo, had to choose between another redheard (One Daphne Blake (who is a bit of an airhead (originally)), or the more intelligent Velma Dinkley, who would you choose?

Well while everyone who is sffering from Testosterone issues, chose both Ginger and Daphne, I myself go against that logical thinking and choose both Mary Anne and Velma (And you'll see why in a moment.. and how it relates back into video games..

Most game developers today don't lookaat women as being intelligent or smart or have a personality.. iNstead they base their choices on of all thing,s, Looks (Yes you know what parts we're talkinga but here.. and I don't ahve to go into detail to tell you this..)

But what about girls who have personality... the smart ones, the ones who are sweet and not too shy and innocent but who are willing to sit down and talk to you? The ones who can sit down over a fcup of coffee, or a lunch, or whatever, and carry one a decent two sided conversation about anything.

In short, they have personalities.. But many game women (Like the afformentioned ones I gave earlier) are in fact shallow, almost vapid to the point you wonder.. "How in the heck did i get lassoed into this mess?

The point is, this.. Womena re people too, and game developers (and this includes MA, thosgh I willsat that The reason why MMO's do work in a way) afctually should have people with more Interactivity.. and in fact this is where games like EU do shine.. because behind those avatars that are women , there are actual women who do have personalities... (Though comes on guys I know a few of you like to play women.,. and it's not for the personality.. it's for the T and A.. (And if MA ever made this game R18, then you 'd be looking at other body parts as well (but ladies those of you who are women are in fact real gamers, and have real personalities), and usually just by the way people speak you can tell if a person is a male behind a female avatar, or a wommen showing her true avatar self and acting like a ladiy you could sit down and have a decent converstiaton with (And yes, I notice this a lot when i talk to certain female avas who are in fact real women behind those avas.. They tend to have a bit of compassion for guys.. yet sure some of the women (and ladies, take this as no offense to you, cause it's not0 , become nothing mroe than I cand, rather than opening up and really letting guys know tht they are sensitive and caring..(Heck the last two women I ment in game who later became my supposed in game Girlfriends actually were nothing more than Eye cany.. and that's about it.. They didn't care about the deicisions I made or the feelings i had for them.. In short a few of these women who lack personalities tend to be like other gamer girls that are not in an MMO they tend to be vapid, and without personality.. they are just that T and A eye candy, most guys who are having testosterone issues tend to gawkl at..

So yeah it's adouble edged swrod here..

But they say "Beauty is in the eye of teh beholder." and in the case of women , My own perosnal idea of a women in any game should be more with persoality and intelligence rather than the eye candy.. and this goes both in game and in Real life..

(And this comes from a guy who feels like Doctor who.. Gone through a dozen women (10 in RL and 2 in game) and none of them had feelings for me, They didn't want to sit down and carry on a conversation and really hear the guy onthe other end.. iN short it's like that one anime that recently came out.. called "Me! Me! Me!" and it's a story about a guy who never cared aobut his RL gf and instead was sitting there oggling the eye candy out there.. Girls who weren't even real show up a lot and in a way they actually show up n things like Synthetic Dating sims, and yes I know of one guy who actually was in Japan for over 3 yers, and got dumped by a RL women (who had no real personality to speak of) and ended up falling back to Dating sims.. and then 3 yers later after he was happily married to a woman who showed him compassion aand understood his feeling, did he come to realize why these dating sims from Japan DO exist.. It's becau of the fact that the Japannese males spend most of their time at work, or they hit the sake bars with their business buddies and work 14 hour a day shifts, and also spend all that time with the boys.. In short, their relationship time is so small that their own interest in women would be about 5% of the time.. 5% out of a full 168 hour week..

So yeah there is a reason why guy s in japan turn for the girls in dating simes.. To be hoenst they don't want the eye candy, but instead they want Women who don't argue who aren't constantly bickering about how much money they make or how proficient they are in bed.. in short, these guys turn to these fantasy girls cause well, they want a real relationship, and not something that would end up in divorce.. and yes ladies they want actual contact and not in teh you know wht kind of way.. They want to be held, and cuddled.. They want to actually be able to hold hands.. and maybe a simple peck on the cheek, and who knows some of the guys just want to have a friendly relationship that ends up in dating, and then love and then marriage.. and then.. well you get the idea..

But as of late Video game devs and others hav literally taken this idea to the extreme.. and have made a lot of these women in video games nothing more than the eye candy that we often so hear about.. they';'re less than 3 dimensional they have no real sense of a players feeling.. to the player all they are , are one piefce of T and A and that's it.. Period..

Maybe what Game devs need to do (and I think this would include MA0 should look at the social aspect of why girls play video games (and i can tell you it's not aobut ladies looking for eye candy either..) In short, maybe the issue here is that Game devs should stop with the eye candy in games like Bayonetta 2 or Super Mario whatever0 to make the characters more realistic and 3 dimentional.. to give them a personality..

In short, get rid of the eye candy, and give us more women we could fancy, the Marry Annes and the Velma Dinkleys of the world..

well how do people actually feel about this? what are their response to this article and this thread about how video game devs should go? After all I'd rather would be glad to meet a velma Dinkley or a Marry and then be miserable with some Ginger Grant/Daphne Blake), airhead hanging off my arm.. So Game devs, take note.. Stop with the eye candy, and give us the real women that we so need.. Stop withthe T and A, and give us more woen who have a personality.. In short, get down to the basics.. an give us sometone who is more three dimentionl than Jill Valentine or Princess Peach.. give us the real women that gamers so deserve to enjoy..

Well that's about it.. Time to get back to working on ghames (oh and to the devs of a certan game that has 19 million players, do us a favor.. put Not only PC women But NPC into the game. I t would be better tthan looking at all teh guys running around in villages , makeing you think.. "Man, this game is so undeerwhelming"

That's it for now..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.ka. "The BLind Sniper" (and) HIs_Dog_Spot./

+rep pretty much sums up my feelings on this

Only someone sexually disturbed would find an in game character arousing in any way. Anyone comparing themselves to videogame characters have low enough self esteem for it to be considered an illness and probably should find someone to talk to, preferably a trained professional.

With that said, I couldn't care less about the matter. It is just pixels.

And female characters have cheaper equipment. Who gives a rats ass about digital curves? You are projecting a disturbed view of women onto others.

Hmm. I say Moar plz.. my eyes need diabeties.

Don't play above 0.50 BAC.

edit: (if you think there are good-looking female characters ingame, you've likely been playing drunk)

Don't play above 0.50 BAC.

edit: (if you think there are good-looking female characters ingame, you've likely been playing drunk)

Some people like anime. It's a thing.

Computers games is a visual media, and how do you give something in a game "personality"? Yes, it's possible in RPG games, but in games like this you pretty much have the visual presentation. So you want them to be gluier or what? It's a bit different in movies/tv where you can create a character with personality.

Only someone sexually disturbed would find an in game character arousing in any way. Anyone comparing themselves to videogame characters have low enough self esteem for it to be considered an illness and probably should find someone to talk to, preferably a trained professional.

And female characters have cheaper equipment. Who gives a rats ass about digital curves? You are projecting a disturbed view of women onto others.

With that Statement you have sunk the whole Japanese island :tongue2:

With that Statement you have sunk the whole Japanese island :tongue2:

Care to elaborate? :D

I'm being honest, I didn't get the reference. Are we talking about japanese game makers that like big tits or are japanese men so perverted that they masturbate to video games? :scratch2:

I'm being honest, I didn't get the reference. Are we talking about japanese game makers that like big tits or are japanese men so perverted that they masturbate to video games? :scratch2:

Anime? Manga?

The Seppaku of Japan...and why we think about 4 body parts..

Well sure some of you could care less. SOme of you are hormonally challenged, and some at least have the guts and state the obvious truth.. But let's get onto taht one part i stated about Japan and how Syntheitc dating is helping kill th Japanese Relationship and romance department. As Whinking Skeptic put it, I could care less it's all pixels..

But then really WS, have you seen the popuilation statistics for Japan? No? Then let me point this out.. and in fact this deals with both how humans interact.. both with and without pixes..

As of the last 5 to 10 years, Japan has seen a slump in their population growth, and by Slump, I mean major slump.. why? Because of the fact that it's the real life people who don't play games and want to try and have a realtionship that are helping the country perform Relationship Seppaku (No not Hari Kari as some people believe the correct term is seppaku..

But the main reason as to why the Japanese governemtn hasn't figured out why is really because they are ylike you, they couldn't care les.. That's the attitude that sinks most empires, and kingdoms..

But they are taking notice and in a hurry..

Beccause Japane needs new blood and that biological clock, she's a ticking..

But why do guys in Japan play these dating sim games? well it might surprise you.. it's because rhe real life women in Japan are .. how shall I say this.. Too Picky? I mean has anyone out there heard of the "Snow White Syndrome that women have.. it's because they are looking for the best of the best, and sadly all of you may think you're studs but you're not.. in fact no guys here is a stud muffin or think they're great in bed.. and women know it..

But then you're saying, "Well ehat then does this have to do with Japane, gaming and more persoanlity in non MMORPG games.. Well.. A lot!

See the reason as to why the eye candy is so popular is because it seems thatmen have this attitude of what you just said..

"They could care less.. IT's all fantasy and not real.. blah blah blah, you drone on, but in reality, there's two sides to every story..

Men sure we look at eye candy a loot, but do we as humans get to really sit down and have a talk with a real life woman.. to try and undertand them.. Or do you care less and just think they are Eye Candy in real life/ (and yes I hate to break it to youu guys asw well who are "Hormonally challenged.." You're suffering from the "Prince Charming Syndrome." You have to find the perfec tmate, if I remember what my biology teachers taught me..

But agian even though there are 7 billion people in the world today (give or take a could hundred million, the reality is guys, you could care less/ Hoate to break it to the male gamers, but we're in teh minority.. When it comes to actual numbers.. )

Now I'm going to turn the tables on you, and make you take your foot, shovee it up to you knee cap and hopefully bite it off and then choke on it..

Let me ask you this simple set of questions..

1. Are you single or married, or are dating a significant other?

2. Have you gone out and socially interacted with people (in real life) and sat down and gotten to know them and understand them?

3. And here is the most important poart..

Have you ever interacted wtih a real life female?

Now you can answer yes to any one to 3 questions here with a simple Yes.. or a simple no. but the truth of the matter be told, is that you could care less that this is about rela life, this is about games..right?

Well not exactly.. and this goes back to a forum question that I posted in the Genral discussion section of the PCF forums.. and this comes from this simple question..

When you are in a game, do you focus more on the money? or the social interaction..

and a lot of folks put moeny ahead of social interaction..

Now then, let's twist this around and look at why people are starting to look at fantasy women are are demanding more personality..

I hate to say this , but programmers can't program to save their livves.. and a lot of these programmers are in fact Hormonally challenged men who are as I recall, guys who just want to look at the eye candy.. in fact a lot of you guys just by even the simplest posts have shown me wher eyou r minds are . it's it's not in the mwallet it's in teh gutter..(and no you're not drunk either.. you're stone cold sover and just enjoy making women into eye candy rather than actually sitting down and talking to them..

(It's also Intersting to note.. that of all these posts (So far0, the reality of this.. is that there were what? 15 posts and out of thoe 15, 1 was a female gamer.. who plays a female avatar in this game..

Now stop me right there is you want..(And i know what WS is going to say, "This is fantasy right?" Well to you it's the eye candy talking.. to me it's the real person that anyone could be..

Now let's take this into another aspect.. adn that is of ocurse the aspect of how games today are developed and what they portray.. and a lot of times this is in the form of men wanting thetats, and all the rest of the body parts (It's humours to knot that if I ere to draw you a woman in the way you see her, you're only looking at 4 parts and these are..

1. The Tats..
2. The Naughty Bits
3. The hiney and of course
4. The legs..

but what about Part Number 5? The brain.. the personality that set s eahch woman artart?

This is somehting that men to forget about.. tehat women are like us guys.. they have feelings and emotions and yes ladies some of us guys respect you.. and some of us don't like the fact that women are just being seen as the 4 part eye candy that guys want be it in real life or in any game, and this goes from Single palyer and Multiplayer games..

Now I bet you have heard of a game called "Team fortress 2. " and you probably have heard the fact that there are no women in this game.. it's all guys shooting themselves in teh keester just to prove how macho they are..

And yet, a lot of folks tend to think that women as snipers, or scouts or soldiers or even spioes or heavies aren't important.. well, they are..

It's ironic to note that in Real life, it took America 20 extra years in time to put our fist woman up into space on a space shuttle. The russians can at least claim they put a woman up some 20 years earlier..

yet while we look at that female astronaut as "Eye candy," Many of the Russians look up at that first female cosmonaut and respect her.. why? Cause she's not eye candy..

Now as for the Japanese.. there's a reason why thee culture is sinking and it was best explained by a gamer himself who does cultural studies about the games we play.. an in fact back in 2012 he did a video that dealt with Dating sims and synthesized relationships.. In it he noted that Japan's Population is gettnig older and they have no yonger blood to replace the now slowly retiring men who have worked 14 hour a day jobs for 6 days a week. (And then these guys go out and get drunk on sake until midnight ast least.) So out of their time, they are spending the 95% of their lives out either working or getting plastered ) so what about the other 5%? Well this is the interesting point.. they do try to have real relationships with real women, and they end up getting kicked to the curb. (so all you hormonally challenged guys, go to Japan and see if you can get a woman without getting kicked to the curb.. ) But there's a reason for that too,

Women too have their eye candy, and in fact if you look into their minds the same pattern starts to appear..

They focus on..

1. The chest, (yes we like tats, they like muscular chests so ther eou go.. number 1. is the same..

2. The naughty bits (and in fact more notably so then the guys.. (Afte rall women are looking for performan in the bedroom while guys are looking for a quickie..)
Check..
3. The backside.. yes ladies do look at the guys'; keester as much as we look at thir's.. and n fact Iw as a guy who really wanted this game to have some equality so that they coule get their little piece of eye candy..(Sur ethe panty bulge in the front will get some women's hearts to racing, but they get the thongs/ What do we get? Swimsuits.. and I'm not talking the speedo variet.y..

and ofurse 4, the legs.. Yes women not only want a chest tha looks hot an will keep them fully happy, bu they want those legs (and in conjuction with "The Naughty bits' it becomes lear why..

Now that's i Real life.. and sure w'ere dealing with fantasy when it comes to in games.. But then as Taxo pointe out in another thread, we see eye candy in most every game and movie..(Most being the right word, instead of all when it comes to the movie part..(IN the game part it is very true.. most if not all games have just eye candy..

Now as for the movies, I bet anyone one of you guys can't name a movie that had a woman with a personality.. not one.. and sure as we all know Movies are fantasy, but then let's put this into real context..

if you say that all movies are like real life went then you're sadly mistaken.. cause i can name one movie tha actually does have a woman who is peronably likeable, intelligent, likes to read books and have intersting debats and eventually uses her personality to get the guy she fell in love with.. and remember this is a movie character, but it cvould be applied here n games or real life..

Oh and I'll tell you who in a bit, right now I'm going to get down to the matter..

People tend to see each other as Eye candy.. they tend to look at the physical parts rather than the actual intellectual or psychological make up of a pperson. andI mean any person in oru out of a game..

Sure we see Jill Valentine as a great looking hot chick but can she have a personality? She could if the programmers wanted to do so..(and with today's tech it's not that far from the truth..

Oh and Taco, I hate to say this.. but ND may have made the strippers, but it was the Japanes ewho created.. the actual robottic strippers people claim..(Think i'm joking? They've had them around since at least 2007.
the newer models are just getting to the point wher ethey're catching up to tthe fantasy girls ND created.. and that was just 3 yeras ago.. Imaigne what would happen if the programmer dcould make a robotic female more likeable and they actually do have a personality..

Oh and yes guys in other game stoo, there's plenty of eye candy.. but what about pesonalites.. like was pointe doutm most programmers don't put personalities into these game girls that we interact with because they're lazy and don't want to program a real ideal woman who could relate to you crying ovfer a spilt beer..

(Yet the Japanes ehave created Sings and dancers who are not real, and yet they have people actually pay a 100 bucks (tht's 100 ccks american.. to go see a concert.. heck even David Letterman had soone of these girls who lookis real but in reality wasn't.. she was nothing more than a computer program.. and sure she could sing and dance, but it was her facial expressions that gave her a bit of personality (even if there was not some to speak of..

That's the thing about Japan. they can create fantasy girls like Hatsune iku, like Samus Aran, like Princess peach, but that's teh ting, these so called women lack personality.. why because thy arn't real..(and thus we go back to the eye candy again.. over and over.. It would be amazing to see a programmer of some game company actually develop an AI that would learn and grown and eventually take on a life of it's own..(And no, i'm not talking T-1000 Terminator kind of personality, but rather a female character tha isn't jsut those 4 specific body parts..

But sadly the Japanese are facing their own extinction because they can't handle a simple Real life relationship.. so they turn to synthetic ones to pick up the slack.. (And you know folks no relationsips in real life means no new generations to come.. and that means your population base is gonna get a little thin...

But I digress.. now where was I.. Oh right, Barcelona.. (Nope wrong idea there, sorry..)

The thing is game developers could in theory develop a game AI that learns as it goes along.. that develops and even has emotions and the eprson can interact with the character's programming.. sure we read our msisions in game (or do we?) and we get an understanding of what we have to do.. but when it comes to other thigs, we're totally cluesless about fcertain things, and most notably, that of the opposite gender..

As was explained by this one game gguy, there are very few game girls in the world, why? Becaus they don't want to deal with a few things.. and thsoe few things are..

1. The guyss who think they are macho.. (Hell there are some guys out there who cry at a moive..) Not all women are looking for a guy who can barroom brawl with the rest of them.. after all that's not the personality talking it's just animalistic thining there.. Alpha males and what not..(But there are alpha females as well, and this goes back to the Japan issue in a moment.)

But let's say that the programmers were able to produce a girl with a personabilty or who has likeable qualities other than say the four baisc parts that make sup "eye candy.." it makes you wonder.. if this did happen, and we started to related to some of the fantasy girls as being more with a personality, wouldn't it make the game a bit more fun? Some guys say no, but some would say, yes.. It's really all POV on how you look at this.. (But considering that guys are all down there with part number 3 then using their brains, it's only natural that the reptillian bran inside of eah of us is the problem here..(Must reproduce, must reporduce.. blah blah blah..)

yet l;et's jump back to Japan for a moemtn, ever wonder why those guys hit those synthetic relations ships/ it's bbecase Rel life females in Japan are the Alpha Females.. they are the carnivores of the speciews and they will actually try to make you their own, if only for one night 9gee4 wherehave we her d this before? Oh right.. read up;..) :lolup:

But then this is why guys do turn to synth relationships.. they want a woman who is not going to just use them, but rather a woman they can come to know and relate (and those darn japanese gamers really have screweed up stuff thanks to all those game sthat promote.... (well I won't go there..)

But youget the idea.. that pleus the olong hours men work in Japan gives very little if any way for them to date.. (And the Japanese government can't figure this one out? Sheese shows how brilliant they are!)

But gettng back to the point.. I think a lot of gamers are getting tired of the eye candy.. they're getting tired of the fact that they want to actually want someone they can relate to.. and above all they don't want jigglevision, they want a meaningful conversation even if the girl is indeed fantasy.. or as you say, it's all pixels..

Yet in anay mmorpg, we're not dealing with Just pixels here, we're dealing with real people (Sure the mobs are just pixels too, but we do hunt them.. we even tame them.. but the point is this.. what if you could sit down and literally become the next Doctor Doolittle and talk to the animals.. (oh wait that' right, theire jsut mindleesss animals we can't talko tot them..

but man I see this post i stared and I laugh.. No I relally do.. Seems a lot of guys don't check their pistol at the door.. when they walk into a bar.. they hav eto put up with who's mroe macho.. and yet I bet the guy who women wallk out with are not the alpha malkes but the guys who jsut want some simple cuddling..

And yes in Japan they've gotten to tohe point where women get paid for just cuddling with me.. and a lot better than those video vixens..

And then if you don't think Japan is the only place that goes there, then Just Google Jackie Smith, and "The Snuggery" (ye swe too here in the states have the same thing!

How abut that.. we need more personality right (Oh I could care less as a certain someone would say it..

Actually we need more personality ourselves and interaction.. like we are now.. Sure i might give some reacers eye diabetes (but hey I could care less, I'm legally blind in Real life already? Can't drive a car or do certain things, but I could care less there..)

but anyway enough Idle chit chat, and let's get back to the issue, should gamedev really star tto stop thinking about the 4 main body parts and start looking at the 5th, the braiin the personality as you were going to clal it.. the sensitivity, I mean this is what makes people people.. and with today's tech, we have to jsut take a programming leap of faith (and not end up liekthe guys who program us) and actually think.. could it be done/ I know a lot of you say no, but I think everyone else is sick of CGI movies as well.. after all in the world of games and media there are a lot of ways to express yourself.. and I'm talking aobut animation, live action and even gaming.. but until we start to look past the sigma of the first four parts and ge to the 5tgh, then, and only then can we actually enjoy a conversation with a NPC game character..

After all it's only a matter of time.. Just ask the Japanese.. (who are kiling themselve sby not being or having a personality.. (Blah blah blam.. Like I scould care less!)

Hmm maybe we need to deprogram a few humans and start thinnking.. Like the borg.. Afte rlal

Resistance is futile.. you wil be assimilated..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper" ()and ) "His_Dog_Spot"

No, Japans population is not regressing due to dating simulators. That is a very, very stupid thing to say. You might find a corelation but no causation between that. Just look at the timeframes. And no, no one who is not disturbed sexually prefers a relationship with a virtual girl over a real one.

There is no eye candy in EU, I REPEAT; NO EYE CANDY IN EU! Well, unless you are talking about some of the scenery when playing on highest quality, but definately no eye-candy as in oooohhh-loooook-at-that-drooool-wank-wank. No.

Neither is there in any game. Because it is games,

Ben. Do you have kids!? Daughters!? When your daughters start to grow, they might become attractive. Will looking at them make you aroused?

Our brains have blocks - you don't look at your children or your family like that and you don't look at video game characters (especially as poorly modelled as in EU) like that. Simple as that. If you do, you are sexually deviating..

Sure, one could argue game makers for being sexistic, but then again, who cares? There is nothing to care about unless you make up fake problems (much like radical feminists like to do, or radical whatever for that matter). And if we are going to start talking sexism in games, lets start with the unreal "expectations" on males since day one of video games.

Edit: And stop smoking pot while typing on PCF.

Edit2: Okay, read the last bits of the wall of text. The problem is simply within you. Your perception of reality is broken. All your examples are broken. You are the one who can't see personalities. You are the one who objectify women.

Edit3: Fixed some poor wording

Last edited:
Our brains are programed to pay more attention to what senses we "enjoy" the most depending on what activity were doing ...period! Its as simple as apple pie and ice cream! Or a pretty woman! If I make a game for you to play ill try and incorporate the pie and ice cream but if I cant you can bet ill get you the girl.:beerchug:

Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote are you applying for Peezle's old position?

I don't know why you are focusing on the Japanese in particular and agree with WhiningSceptic's point of view.

However here is a great feature about women in gaming Good Games women in games special that I think people should watch.

sry for the late reply

Japan has grown a widespread subculture that love animes and mangas and they differ from US/EU animated movies. While we make those movies for kids and a nice family evening, they use more "mature" storys covering
not only but also gore and porn. People in japan like cross dressing, wich is pretty much identifying themselves with the character. Some people even go trough plastic sugary to look more like an anime character. Virtual girls
made visible with holograms filling a whole concert hall because they are treated like rock stars. That's japan for you.

We have also cross dressing inside EU or the US, just look at game conventions for lets say league of legends. Or what about LARP'S ?

Kids and teenagers get aroused by virtual girls, if this weren't the case most mmo's would look different. My Son is eight, he knew where to find all the new animes from japan. I just caught him watching a show called "attack on titan". Lets say that's not really what I want my kid to watch after school. But if im not allow him to watch it at home, he will do it somewhere else. I had a long talk that this stuff is not real and movies and real life are not the same thing.

To make my point, getting aroused by 2d and 3d virtual content is more common as you might believe skeptic. Its probably sublime to a degree but its hard to talk it away. According to your post all this people are disturbed, I believe its just another shade of humanity influenced by subcultures. I also admit I have no clue how todays teenagers tick.

sry for the late reply

Japan has grown a widespread subculture that love animes and mangas and they differ from US/EU animated movies. While we make those movies for kids and a nice family evening, they use more "mature" storys covering
not only but also gore and porn. People in japan like cross dressing, wich is pretty much identifying themselves with the character. Some people even go trough plastic sugary to look more like an anime character. Virtual girls
made visible with holograms filling a whole concert hall because they are treated like rock stars. That's japan for you.

We have also cross dressing inside EU or the US, just look at game conventions for lets say league of legends. Or what about LARP'S ?

Kids and teenagers get aroused by virtual girls, if this weren't the case most mmo's would look different. My Son is eight, he knew where to find all the new animes from japan. I just caught him watching a show called "attack on titan". Lets say that's not really what I want my kid to watch after school. But if im not allow him to watch it at home, he will do it somewhere else. I had a long talk that this stuff is not real and movies and real life are not the same thing.

To make my point, getting aroused by 2d and 3d virtual content is more common as you might believe skeptic. Its probably sublime to a degree but its hard to talk it away. According to your post all this people are disturbed, I believe its just another shade of humanity influenced by subcultures. I also admit I have no clue how todays teenagers tick.

I should have picked my words more carefully and put more effort into my posts, but didn't, so I'll start out by clearing a few things out.

1. Mentally challenged and sexually disturbed were both horrible words to use, what Is was trying to say was sexually deviant. Which holds true, anyone who fancy women in games or cartoons to such an extent that they get aroused are sexually deviant. This would be a fetish. Would not make them lesser humans though.

2. Someone actively choosing a relationship with a cartoon or dating simulator over a real life relationship is however disturbed. Sure, one could argue its just a fetish, but fetishes shouldn't control your whole life.

3. Kids and teenagers full of hormones are very different from adults. I should have been clearer. As I had the EU audience in mind, I didn't think of kids and teenagers. However, a teenager playing games with 'sexy' characters won't be formed by that. I watched a shit ton of porn as a teenager yet I don't have this screwed up image of women that the OP claims we all have, neither have any of my friends. I also played DOA and Tomb Raider, just like my friends, without touching myself.

Japan is one country. Cosplay is more about art than sex. Larps are games. It's apples and oranges we are comparing here.

The fact that there are subcultures in Japan that fancy cartoon characters doesn't in anyway make it normal for people to get turned on by cartoons. There are plenty of subcultures within Islam where you marry and !!!! kids, but that doesn't make it representative of Islam as a religion (even though it is stupid and horrible just like any other religion) or the rest of mankind.

I'll share a longer response when I get home from work, but it upsets me that Ben tries to justify his own xenophobic and sexistic values by projecting them on others. On top of that, the projecting continues as he tries to apply my response to a certain matter as a universal truth of some sort.

Critical message:Age overflow, too much namedropping. Can't relate.
How about stop watching movies and start looking at the beautiful real chicks next door? Thats where the real beauty is.

@TheProphet

There are things that are considered normal and things that are not. Getting turned on by the sight of poorly modelled characters in a game would fall outside what is considered normal sex drive. I am not saying it is wrong, but it isn't representative for the population at large and thus does not serve as a guideline.

Edit: And no, defining normal is not a philosophical question. It's a scientific and would usually mean within a certain amount of standard deviations from average. I believe two is the most common.

Last edited:
Wrong forum. I am not sure NEVERDIE reads PCF.

More porn please!!!:yay:

There are things that are considered normal and things that are not.

Spending time in a pixel world instead of living "real" life is already a deviation from "normal". Getting turned on by pixel characters is just one more step further in that direction.

Spending time in a pixel world instead of living "real" life is already a deviation from "normal". Getting turned on by pixel characters is just one more step further in that direction.

Not quite.

Spending time playing games triggers all sorts of mechanisms within you. The leap from there to getting aroused by playing the game for the sake of playing is quite big.

@TheProphet

There are things that are considered normal and things that are not. Getting turned on by the sight of poorly modelled characters in a game would fall outside what is considered normal sex drive. I am not saying it is wrong, but it isn't representative for the population at large and thus does not serve as a guideline.

Edit: And no, defining normal is not a philosophical question. It's a scientific and would usually mean within a certain amount of standard deviations from average. I believe two is the most common.

Wow that is some proper 1900s level argumentation right there. No there isen't something wrong with you because your attracted to a portraid image of a man/woman.
You think we humans have drawn paintings of beautiful women for literally as far back as we can find drawings just for posterity? :rolleyes:

PS. the phrase "normal" is so incredibly useless in an argument like this, if we were all normal or close to normal life would be shit boring, variety is the spice of life.

On-topic:
Poorly written characters male or female have always been around in large quantity in games, a case of poor writing in my opinion which should hopefully get better over time as more money gets to the industry and better writers can be hired.
As for reducing the amount of eye candy in video games, well, i dissagree ;).

Cheers
Zweshi

Last edited:
:scratch2:

I don't play games other than EU so can't possibly comment on how it works out there.. but within EU we make our own characters.

How on earth is it the developers fault if our avatars don't have personality! :confused:

If you are looking for more women that you "fancy" then maybe stop judging them by how their avatar looks... and try talking to them. You might be surprised ;)

Last edited:
Wow that is some proper 1900s level argumentation right there. No there isen't something wrong with you because your attracted to a portraid image of a man/woman.
You think we humans have drawn paintings of beautiful women for literally as far back as we can find drawings just for posterity? :rolleyes:

PS. the phrase "normal" is so incredibly useless in an argument like this, if we were all normal or close to normal life would be shit boring, variety is the spice of life.

On-topic:
Poorly written characters male or female have always been around in large quantity in games, a case of poor writing in my opinion which should hopefully get better over time as more money gets to the industry and better writers can be hired.
As for reducing the amount of eye candy in video games, well, i dissagree ;).

Cheers
Zweshi

So, you misinterpreted my posts to make a point? If you are going to argue semantics at least get your homonyms correct. Wrong and wrong are different words that can't be interchanged at will.

Your post smells more 1900 than any of mine as you argue that anything outside the normal is bad (even though I know that wasn't your point).

My argument was that you can't use a outlier to define a group.

Just because someone is different, it doesn't mean there is something wrong (as in bad) about them. I never said that. I did however acknowledge my horrible choice of words last night and few posts up (but quoting that wouldn't help you make up your point).

And of course there is a normal. As in normal, as in 68%. Your use of the word normal is more like "morally acceptable" which was not my intent with the word, which I also wrote, which makes me think your misinterpretation was done purposefully.

Back