Elon Musk: SpaceX nearly "Sticks" the landing.

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Well my father used to say this..

"Almost counts in Horseshoes handgrenades , and Nuclear weapons."

Well now Dad, you can add "Rockets landing on barges" to taht list of "Almosts..

It's ironic that SPace X has tried this stunt 3 times and of those 3 one of them had to be aborted cause the seas at the barge landing site was too rought for recovery.. But today's launch was hopefull the one taht would set the record books straight and prove tthat you can actually take the booster stage of a rocket and actually land it safely back on the groun or the sea if the weather is right..

Oh so close Elon, so close.. almost a ringer but dang.. the pictures show that it had the right approach, but at the last second once it touched down, a little bit of lateral motion was still laft and well.. there goes the rocket.. again..

Crash landings 2, Spacex 0

But let's be hoenst, this one was so close that when the video comes out we'll see really how close this landing really was (and that will happen in a few days once the barge gets back to shore.) It'll be intersting to see if Elon can finally get at least 1 rocket onto the deck and get it down smoothly..no tip overs, no hard landing and no aborts..

but yep.. another "Almost made it.."

but hey sooner or later, Mr. Musk will stick taht landing on that barge and then the skeptics can be quiet on that one.. mean while the rocket community will be rejoicing.. cause if this does happen (and i have good feelings for the nex tone), then you'll watch the dcost of rocket flight go down..in a hurry..

Best idea since.. the space shuttle.. at leas tElon has the right idea.. now if only physics and stuff will work for him rather than against him..

Bu hats off man, you alomost got it this time.. Next time yhou will..

if this does happen (and i have good feelings for the nex tone), then you'll watch the dcost of rocket flight go down..in a hurry..

Aye, this one and that satellite delivery system (which I really can't remember the name of) that can be attached to the underside of a regular fighter jet, lifted to a high altitude and then shot off into space (for the fraction of a cost of sending up a rocket) should both help get costs down for space launches :)

the video does not lie.. it almost made it..!

Aye, this one and that satellite delivery system (which I really can't remember the name of) that can be attached to the underside of a regular fighter jet, lifted to a high altitude and then shot off into space (for the fraction of a cost of sending up a rocket) should both help get costs down for space launches :)

Well true, but then we're talking something that the government tends to do on a grandiose scale.. and what I mean by that is that they tend to do things at 100 times the cost..

Now as for the landing.. they just showed us the distance shot of the landing and as you can see the landing is flawless until the last second or two of this vedeo.. and you can tell that the vehidfle did have some residual horizontal motion.. and that right there was the failure.. if that motion had been zero, then the thing would probably have landed upright and intact... it's not impossible to do, it's jsut that all the variables afte rjust two attemps makes me wonder if they'll finally tweak the right variables to get the desired result..

But man, what would have happened if this had been the one that struck home.. itw ould ahve been the one who would have shut down the entire skepiticism of rocket tretrieval and recovery..

I mean I feel that this is posisble and believe me there will be a lot more falures than successes but when they finally do stick it, then maybe all those skepitcs will rethink their position and in a hurry..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a. "The BLind Sniper" (and) "His_Dog_Spot"

A better angle on the near landing event. The base of the rocket was still very much intact when it stopped and fell over (check right screen @ 0:17). Minor damage at that point. This was much closer to being a success than most realise.

Last edited:
For our next trick.. we're gonna land it.. where???!!!

A better angle on the near landing event. The base of the rocket was still very much intact when it stopped and fell over (check right screen @ 0:17). Minor damage at that point. This was much closer to being a success than most realise.

Indeed, and what is next for ths bunch? Well get ready for a shocker.. cause spac3e X will trey and do the Im Possible,. whcih is not to land it on a boat, but this next time in June or July, land it backk :eyecrazy:

(How's that for a shocker..

Now if ou think that this is dangerous, the reality of this is taht it's more dangerous duuring the ascent (Or flight into orbit0 than returning 9and this included the landing..

No doubt about it, I'll be watching this next one!

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper" (and ) "His_Dog_Spot "

Back