Can transport be internalized in EU? (Viability of upcoming space delivery missions)

Doer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
David "Doer" Falkayn
I've been wondering something and am curious what others' perspectives are on the matter. We know that the "upcoming" expansion of space content to include delivery missions will be funded by the auction transport fee. While this sounds reasonable on the surface (unusually so for MA), it suffers from the the fact that EU hasn't been designed from the ground up to internalize the cost of transport. (digression: i made this a key consideration in the design of our planet when i was part of a potential planet partner team, but that was before we knew how little control planet partners have over anything). We have been used to instant, free auction delivery anywhere on the planet and instant avatar transportation anywhere on the planet through tps. Are enough people going to embrace paying for delivery to generate (fund) a meaningful number of delivery missions? Thoughts?

The truth is MA has been very slow to create interesting content that capitalizes on their built-in piracy policy. A few years back I envisioned a system that requires all pirates to "fence" their loot through one of a few pirate bases. The setup of this would provide an opportunity for people to recover their loot by assaulting the NPC base before some timer lapses, while allowing the pirate to stick around and help defend it if desired, and also require pirates to either collaborate or outfox one another to avoid being pirated in turn. It's OT from above but i'm curious what people think about that.

Good question. But since we do not know how much internal revenue is and has been generated so far from the delivery system, no-one outside MA's office is in a position to say one way or the other :( Though for what its worth, MA must think that it will or they would not have implemented it in the first place.. though on second thoughts, that's no guarantee given MA's past track record.

We have been used to instant, free auction delivery anywhere on the planet and instant avatar transportation anywhere on the planet through tps.

Unless I'm missing something this isn't going to change.

Yes. I have already payed for some deliveries from Calypso to Arkadia, I'm sure many will do it.

I have spent over 1k ped easy on instant transport. There is easy 200 players like me. Fun days ahead for sure. But yes I think they did it all wrong.

I have been using instant transport a lot since MA has gone back to the old days of space and hope they will do more. I know it will hurt a lot but I think MA is trying to fix the system and that being space and trying to make it so more people will want to go to other planets. Yes they say that there will be a new system coming, but I think again this is just to lessen the blow to those who have invested in space.

I hope MA can work out a plan to make space and any PvP in a RCE game fun. Right now they have a system were one can steal from another...this of course just can not work. What MA needs to do is work out a new system where we can pvp and loot the others just as if hunting mobs. We as avatars can have some sort of leveling system where one person is 'worth' more than the other. Just think of the ATHs we could get from taking down a MS? Bring fun to space..and not just ways to steal from others all the while trying to justify it as being ok due to it being a game dealing with others RL money.

So two have used the system regularly. Do they represent the majority or a tiny minority?

Good question. But since we do not know how much internal revenue is and has been generated so far from the delivery system, no-one outside MA's office is in a position to say one way or the other :( Though for what its worth, MA must think that it will or they would not have implemented it in the first place.. though on second thoughts, that's no guarantee given MA's past track record.

Yeah this is more about whether the community thinks their judgement was overly optimistic.

Unless I'm missing something this isn't going to change.

No, not going to change. The point was that players are used to getting instantaneous transportation for free (both of themselves and of auction items) and that may affect their willingness to pay for delivery. Maybe it's been long enough since the current implementation of space was put in place that the expectations have changed.

As I understand the anouncement, this transport missions are funded by the fee´s paid for interplanetary delivery, not by all auction fees.

If only interplanetary delivery has to be paid for delivery I can´t see any problem for the PP.

Buying at any point at your planet will still be instant free delivery at 0 costs.

Maybe I am wrong or just don´t get your point.

As I understand the anouncement, this transport missions are funded by the fee´s paid for interplanetary delivery, not by all auction fees.

If only interplanetary delivery has to be paid for delivery I can´t see any problem for the PP.

Buying at any point at your planet will still be instant free delivery at 0 costs.

Maybe I am wrong or just don´t get your point.

The question is if enough players are using the interplanetary delivery system to create enough fees/money to the upcoming transport mission-system. I think yes, because a lot of players on other planets then Calypso probably are using it to get items from Calypso, as I do.

The question is if enough players are using the interplanetary delivery system to create enough fees/money to the upcoming transport mission-system. I think yes, because a lot of players on other planets then Calypso probably are using it to get items from Calypso, as I do.

Yes, that's the question. I was just pointing out that it's easier to get people to pay for things like that if they're not already accustomed to free immediate transport. The difference is one is interplanetary and the other intraplanetary, of course,

Would be interested in hearing from more who use it. Hmm maybe I should create a poll.

Yes, that's the question. I was just pointing out that it's easier to get people to pay for things like that if they're not already accustomed to free immediate transport. The difference is one is interplanetary and the other intraplanetary, of course,

Would be interested in hearing from more who use it. Hmm maybe I should create a poll.

Yeah, but you should also take to account that the players that probably are using it most, players that are not on Calypso, maybe are not reading a Calypso forum as much as the Calypso players. :silly2:

I will try to avoid additional costs as much as possible, but being on calypso almost 100% of my time don't see myself overly tempted to let me deliver something from a different planet. I'm sure other people don't mind that much, especially those on the other planets.

If not enough money is coming in for missions the amount and maybe the value of transport missions will be lower. I doubt its a get rich fast opportunity. It will probably be more like the oil rig in space with a waiting line and after you pick your packet its free for all. Im sure there will be still people trying and flying for a value of 5 peds because its still better than sweating.

I pay the fees quite often. Did not when I had the equus, as I could simply pick a customer up and get paid to fly to the planet and pick it up. Without the equus equus though, I use it alot.

Most often I buy stuff with some mu so the fee won't make any difference ..

I've paid the fee a couple of times, once for a MF chip on Caly AH when I was on Ark, and the second time I wanted to run a Cyrene Lancer bp but needed Cyrene mats that were only available on Cyrene AH.

I will try to avoid additional costs as much as possible, but being on calypso almost 100% of my time don't see myself overly tempted to let me deliver something from a different planet. I'm sure other people don't mind that much, especially those on the other planets.

If not enough money is coming in for missions the amount and maybe the value of transport missions will be lower. I doubt its a get rich fast opportunity. It will probably be more like the oil rig in space with a waiting line and after you pick your packet its free for all. Im sure there will be still people trying and flying for a value of 5 peds because its still better than sweating.

There are/will be costs involved in doing a cargo mission. assuming that it has to be picked up on planet and delivered on planet, you have thruster decay, quad fuel and planet entry fee/s to pay. If the box value is as low as 5 ped, then the costs will take most of the reward and also no warp ship pilot would be interested in doing a cargo mission for a single 5 ped reward as the costs in that case will greatly exceed the reward value. To be of interest to a warp ship pilot, the mission reward would have to be at least 15 ped since the costs in that case would amount to ~ 13 ped and I'm not sure even then that many would be interested in doing it for a ~2 ped profit.

Judging by the difficulty that there still is in selling materials on lesser-occupied planets (specifically Cyrene in my experience, and I would guess Rocktropia and Toulan still have the same problem), people are not yet accustomed to the transport fee system. Certainly I personally typically forget that it exists and don't bother checking other planets' auctions when looking to buy something.

I would therefore expect an increase, though perhaps not a great one, in the use of transport fees in future as a result of people becoming more accustomed to the system.

Delivery by auction is ok to me, if I need resource from other planet especially Alternative Ingots and Ospra Ingots come to my mind.
Its save to use the delivery and helps space with the transport missions, once it is implemented.
And no need for traders risking to get looted while transporting it through space.

I think there will be enough people using it, to pay the transport missions.

There are/will be costs involved in doing a cargo mission. assuming that it has to be picked up on planet and delivered on planet, you have thruster decay, quad fuel and planet entry fee/s to pay. If the box value is as low as 5 ped, then the costs will take most of the reward and also no warp ship pilot would be interested in doing a cargo mission for a single 5 ped reward as the costs in that case will greatly exceed the reward value. To be of interest to a warp ship pilot, the mission reward would have to be at least 15 ped since the costs in that case would amount to ~ 13 ped and I'm not sure even then that many would be interested in doing it for a ~2 ped profit.

Mindark told us the value of the cargo will be somewhat linked to your captain profession standing. I expect 5 ped as the entry for a level 0 captain with cargo that's meant to transport via quad.
The fees are 2 peds for 1 planet landing and truster + fuel. I assume all planets will have Npc's that give out new delivery missions so you don't have to do an empty flight unless you don't want to wait until its your turn again to get a mission. After all costs there is still some profit, given the fact a fresh made avatar can buy a quad and do this. Unless we want china farmers in space the entry level value of this transport boxes should be better low.

Higher profession standing should scale the rewards up, who really knows, time will tell us. :)

Mindark told us the value of the cargo will be somewhat linked to your captain profession standing. I expect 5 ped as the entry for a level 0 captain with cargo that's meant to transport via quad.
The fees are 2 peds for 1 planet landing and truster + fuel. I assume all planets will have Npc's that give out new delivery missions so you don't have to do an empty flight unless you don't want to wait until its your turn again to get a mission. After all costs there is still some profit, given the fact a fresh made avatar can buy a quad and do this. Unless we want china farmers in space the entry level value of this transport boxes should be better low.

Higher profession standing should scale the rewards up, who really knows, time will tell us. :)

And how would you skill the captain profession up? It seems it's monopolized by big ship owners at this moment :)

And how would you skill the captain profession up? It seems it's monopolized by big ship owners at this moment :)

Hogglo Diablo :wtg:

Well I never did it and I avoid space as much as possible but I always thought hunting space mobs gives you everything you need to advance your captain profession. Isn't that the case ?

It is also not that hard to become a crew member of a big ship and if this missions turn out to be profitable we will see many ships that aren't utilized yet going into active service. Maybe mindark will fart and the universe changes, who knows the future ?

Hogglo Diablo :wtg:

Well I never did it and I avoid space as much as possible but I always thought hunting space mobs gives you everything you need to advance your captain profession. Isn't that the case ?

It is also not that hard to become a crew member of a big ship and if this missions turn out to be profitable we will see many ships that aren't utilized yet going into active service. Maybe mindark will fart and the universe changes, who knows the future ?

Nope.

Skillgain is slow already in motherships tanking and draining skills from 100 locusaS at a time. In a quad, you can drain one after which you need to find a spacestation and repair.

You are better off purchasing the skills and sweat for the money needed to do so

Mindark told us the value of the cargo will be somewhat linked to your captain profession standing.

AFAIK, that would be a first in the history of EU, endless loot theories and wishful thinking about perception notwithstanding. I don't remember reading that; do you have the source?

Back