Fix the items waves MA!

Society
Entropy
Sunsout Tacotuesday Gunsout
So I am at work and I see another 5 Jaguar foot guards dropped, 4 to the same person.

We all have seen how they drop like this for months (edit: YEARS, since around 2013). The first hour or two of every Core or mayhem event, or migration.

I think it is time MA figures out a way to make it a bit more fair for everyone.

In last core, I did over 30 hours to test how items drop there:

I had 146 globals, all cat 3 or higher, mostly Evis, and some Harb.

I got about 20 guns in the first 5 hours (33 globals) then after that, I received NOTHING except a 9 ped L binary and a 22 ped L chip for the NEXT 90 GLOBALS.

For 90 straight globals, besides those two little worthless items, all I got was ammo and oil.

On any other planet, no matter what, those 90 globals would have got me 40-60 guns or items, my last 25 globals on Ark got me 18 guns and a few scopes and sights, my last 25 on RT got me like 3-4 new trekkies and about 40 chips and other items and a DOZEN good armor pieces with mu. My last 25 on Cyrene got me 19 guns or swords.(there, a freebie to all you caly-dwellers that never seek adventure...try it)

Finally, I hit a 70tt L Caly Spirit mkIII with some actual MU around Core global number 122....and the last 25 globals NO items.

As you can see by this, 98% of my items came in the first 5 hours, right after the Core zone went active.

I understand some of you will say "that's how it is, adapt or die" I understand that...save your breath. The fact it, it is unfair to others that can't log on right when events start. It has to stop. The amount of people I know in game that are so pissed off about this is huge. EVERY person I have ever talked to about it is upset at how MA has been dropping items lately. Some don't even play now because of it.

There needs to be a better way to do this.

It seems MA has just gotten lazy lately...it never used to be like this. It can't be that hard to fix.

Right now, everyone just hits the Caly events in the beginning and then leaves to get normal loot on other planets...which is fine with me, since I sold all my CLD's, but Caly, if you are listening, you need to step up and get this figured out, because you are killing yourself.

P.S. I also Streamed most of it, and had 15-30 viewers most of the time laughing at how bad Caly loot is with no items (after the first 5 hours). Fix it now before it gets any worse.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better, I rushed to get into the Core as soon as it was up for this very reason. But I didn't get anything throughout the entire event :laugh:

But you're right, loot does need to be more evenly spread when it comes to the content of the loots (not necessarily the TT value of the loot).

Seems like there are far more Jaguar foot guards than full sets of Jaguar now, which just doesn't make sense.

I got jack shit for three hours before I called it quits. Be glad you got anything.

More important for them to fix is the AH bug that claims you don't have enough money to bid on an item when 1 you do and 2 you are putting an item up for sale, not bidding on something.
The auction is a pretty major part of this game.

Yep agreed.. They gotta find some way to fix that..

2013 season when LT's arrived I was the first to find the spawn and surely, first global, Jag helmet.. Next three people to get a global also got a jag helmet.

Think yourself lucky, some of us get barely any itamz on a day to day basis.

I got jack shit for three hours before I called it quits. Be glad you got anything.

More important for them to fix is the AH bug that claims you don't have enough money to bid on an item when 1 you do and 2 you are putting an item up for sale, not bidding on something.
The auction is a pretty major part of this game.

LMAO. "Be Glad"??? Wow, because you did 3 hours and got nothing, I should "be glad"? Listen, I did 30 hours and lost over 3kped to test this shit and you tell me to be glad cuz you had a bad 180 minutes...seriously.

And then you go OT with auction bug...THE AUCTION BUG IS FIXED IF YOU RELOG.

The item waves isn't!

Last edited:
Think yourself lucky, some of us get barely any itamz on a day to day basis.

It's not luck. It's recognition of patterns and brains.

Also, if you do 100 globals on caly starting when event starts, and 100 globals on other planets, you will get the same amount of items too. It wasn't just my luck. Anyone can do it. Right now at least, since thats how the planets are currently dropping...obviously this might change.

Last edited:
LMAO. "Be Glad"??? Wtf is wrong with you. Wow, because you did 3 hours and got nothing, I should "be glad"? Listen, I did 30 hours and lost over 3kped to test this shit and you tell me to be glad cuz you had a bad 180 minutes...seriously.

The items waves isn't!

Need I remind you?

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Yep agreed.. They gotta find some way to fix that..

2013 season when LT's arrived I was the first to find the spawn and surely, first global, Jag helmet.. Next three people to get a global also got a jag helmet.

Yeah that is around when it started you are right.

Since then everything been like that...the 3 LT test too...the first time, they had ELM turned up way too high with no limit. But the next two tests they dropped right away and limited out quickly.

It is too easy now to know to be there right when it starts, and to stop when the items dry up.

Lol yeah, I even cleaned it up a bit too right after I hit send when I thought of >>> :swoon:

Seems like it. I swear to god it said something about "punk" when I pressed the quote button.

Anyways, yeah, item flood sucks. I think the problem is that MA puts the stuff in a pool, which sucks. What they need to do is to set a probability on looting the item instead.

Say they want to drop 100 guns. Rather than putting 100 guns in a pool, they should make an estimation on how many mobs will get killed throughout the event, and then adjust the odds accordingly. Sure, first event 78 might drop and next time 132 but it would even out.

Obviously, I am clueless, but I am getting the feeling this is how it works.

Seems like it. I swear to god it said something about "punk" when I pressed the quote button.

Anyways, yeah, item flood sucks. I think the problem is that MA puts the stuff in a pool, which sucks. What they need to do is to set a probability on looting the item instead.

Say they want to drop 100 guns. Rather than putting 100 guns in a pool, they should make an estimation on how many mobs will get killed throughout the event, and then adjust the odds accordingly. Sure, first event 78 might drop and next time 132 but it would even out.

Obviously, I am clueless, but I am getting the feeling this is how it works.

Interesting, I think when you had the reply window open with the quote in it, as you were typing, I changed the part you quoted, so when you were done typing and hit send, it used the updated quote. After your post I took out another mean part, and that is still in your quote (like it should be). But it seems it allows you to modify it until another user actually quotes AND hits send. I always thought that once they started a reply to your quote, it was stuck the way it was when they quoted it.

And yeah I agree, its just a dump into the loot pool. Which to me is just laziness.

I have the feeling that I won't be getting anymore guns in loot for a long time. :laugh: But this HAD to be said...I know how important this issue is to the players I talk to. And all I ever want is for the game to get better, even if it is small steps like this, if we don't tell MA what we want, then things remain the same.

SO if you are displeased with the drop waves, please say so, and let them know directly. Thank you.

LMAO. "Be Glad"??? Wow, because you did 3 hours and got nothing, I should "be glad"? Listen, I did 30 hours and lost over 3kped to test this shit and you tell me to be glad cuz you had a bad 180 minutes...seriously.

The item waves isn't!

That's three hours of only shrapnell and ammo, and not enough of it to cover ammo expense, and you whine about getting items.

Also, having to log in and out 5 or 6 times to place an item in the auction does not make it fixed.

But hey, let's have MA ignore a major component of the game and have them take care of your little pet peeves.

That's three hours of only shrapnell and ammo, and not enough of it to cover ammo expense, and you whine about getting items.

Also, having to log in and out 5 or 6 times to place an item in the auction does not make it fixed.

But hey, let's have MA ignore a major component of the game and have them take care of your little pet peeves.

I guess you missed the point. Have YOU ever gone 90 globals in a row with no items? Have you even had 90 globals total?

Look, the drop rate is fucked up. Look at the pic the guy linked above from EL...8 jag parts in 30 minutes.

There used to be better distribution. Somehow that was lost.

I am not whining about getting items...you totally missed the point. You went 3 hours with no item...I went 23 hours in there in a row with no items, you obviously did your 3 hours during the time I wasn't getting items either.

So the problem affects you too, and all who don't set the alarm to wake up at the exact moment an event starts.

Last edited:
itamz.jpg

Give the guy ELM guns :eyecrazy:

I would love to see this fixed and it has been discussed before, along with comments (IIRC) from Kim and proposed algorithms to fix it by yours truly and others ... and not just since 2013. It has ALWAYS worked this way. What has changed that makes it more obvious now is
  1. There's now a rare item HOF that lets you see when it happens for some ("rare") items.
  2. The Flood-o-items policy has made a lot more "rare" items drop in the last couple years.
  3. There are a lot of events these days (don't know if you noticed :eyecrazy: ) and MA throws in item drop bribes like these to drum up more participation *cough*revenue*cough*.

I actually went off-planet for awhile because there were PP announcements saying they had made some adjustments to try to fix this issue last year. In the end I couldn't see that the waves had really ended but maybe they were reduced somewhat. I suspect a true fix will require one from the platform provider side of things.

Whining's suggested change seems like an obvious solution but IIRC Kim said it already works that way (except that there's obviously a cap on total drops in any given time), so they either do this intentionally by setting the probability too high, or the system is simply not capable of setting a low enough probability to stretch it out when vast numbers of a mob are being killed. I'll let you decide which it is... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, this has to be fixed. Should have been fixed long ago.

Not just the way it works in Core Events, the "interval system" they're using for some other spawns/items is also a fail.
Obviously the goal was to scatter the drops over long period of time to motivate ppl to keep hunting > cycle peds > increase revenue. However, the system is too predictable, too easy to figure out. Changing the interval manually now and then won't have any noticeable effect either.
As a result a whole new playstyle has emerged: Play by the timer. There's bunch of "well informed ppl" (not bad ppl, mind you, just those that have adapted to the rules of the game), who will rush in 60 sec before the next drop time, shoot anything that moves for 5-10 min and then - off they go again. Between the drop moments there's hardly anyone in the spawn. Fail and fail.

MA has been unable to create a decent rare item drop mechanism for years now. How can anyone be so helpless with something so simple is beyond me... :scratch2:

Imho this qualifies as a major problem, unlike a minor auction bug described above. Althou it doesn't really matter anyway, both problems should be fixed, ASAP!

I recognized early in the game that living in a -7 time zone is an automatic disadvantage, as all the action happens during MA business hours, when I'm getting up to go to work in the mornings. It's a big problem and has definitely has reduced my desire to participate in events. Why should I? I know I can't get there at the start to try and loot from the rain, and I know I can't win, so why bother MA?

items always did drop in wave , what ever item,even uber stuff. it has been like that from ever , and i dont think it will change any soon , saddly... thats why the info about what mobs drop what item has so much value in EU , and was so hard to get.the new rare item drop thingy make the info more easy to get , but still , item wave was always there...

Players has drawn attention to this for years to MA because no one like this kind of " item waves " They should do so that new things coming up in a few months, not 10 minutes later it's over...

But we all know that MA always react five years later or never.:wise:

I would love to see this fixed and it has been discussed before, along with comments (IIRC) from Kim and proposed algorithms to fix it by yours truly and others ... and not just since 2013. It has ALWAYS worked this way. What has changed that makes it more obvious now is
  1. There's now a rare item HOF that lets you see when it happens for some ("rare") items.
  2. The Flood-o-items policy has made a lot more "rare" items drop in the last couple years.
  3. There are a lot of events these days (don't know if you noticed :eyecrazy: ) and MA throws in item drop bribes like these to drum up more participation *cough*revenue*cough*.

I actually went off-planet for awhile because there were PP announcements saying they had made some adjustments to try to fix this issue last year. In the end I couldn't see that the waves had really ended but maybe they were reduced somewhat. I suspect a true fix will require one from the platform provider side of things.

Whining's suggested change seems like an obvious solution but IIRC Kim said it already works that way (except that there's obviously a cap on total drops in any given time), so they either do this intentionally by setting the probability too high, or the system is simply not capable of setting a low enough probability to stretch it out when vast numbers of a mob are being killed. I'll let you decide which it is... :rolleyes:

items always did drop in wave , what ever item,even uber stuff. it has been like that from ever , and i dont think it will change any soon , saddly... thats why the info about what mobs drop what item has so much value in EU , and was so hard to get.the new rare item drop thingy make the info more easy to get , but still , item wave was always there...

Both of you bring up a good point I missed...this really just became noticeable to me when the "rare" messages started. It was happening long before, I just didn't notice it.

And some others brought up something I forgot...the timers and predictability on some drops like shrooms and the aurli bones...the bones got fixed a bit I know, but yeah some things are still way too predictable.

I don't know what the solution is. And I don't fault anyone for figuring it out either. 4 jag parts to one person or 4 shopkeeper pads to another person, that is MA's fault, and not the players. If I was getting those drops I would stay there too :) But I hope that some day they come up with a solution, because 8 happy people would be way better than 2 :)

As usual, he's right. I can't find it now, but older players/forum users may recall a rather lively bitch thread when Pham looted I think three or four ml-35s in one day.

You can see it in crafting bp drops too.

As usual, he's right. I can't find it now, but older players/forum users may recall a rather lively bitch thread when Pham looted I think three or four ml-35s in one day.

You can see it in crafting bp drops too.

there tons of exemple over the time , i remember some noob who looted 2 imp fap on molisk young in 1 day , or the 2 mod mk3 on hogglo in 5 min , the mk5 serie on molisk (friend of mine looted like 3 or 4 in 2 day or so),or when MA by mistake put imp 2870 on snable and like 10 of them was looted in less than a day...

i think the problem is , you have 1 chance on 1 T on average to loot some item , but MA when they whant something to be looted , change that to 1 chance on 1000 until x item is looted and the system go back to 1 on 1T

This is why I never bothered doing the core event. Also why I never bother testing the LT spawns for them, because everything good drops in the 1st hour or so, and after that zilch. Only thing I seem to get then is a wave of Nova's.

The same in Halloween, though I do like Halloween mayhem, I'm always to late to get any items, and it's usually TT rubbish when I finally get to log in and play.

Any event Calypso does now I'm not really bothered about joining, until they fix this and spread the loot out over the full duration.

Back