Question: How does quoting work?

Society
Apocalyptic
Whining Skeptic Aboard
The other day I quoted a mean post to remind the author about the :swoon:-policy. At the same time the post was edited, however, I am certain I saw the mean words while typing. Once done, my post showed the edited quote rather than the initial one I intended to address.

When and how is the quote taken?

Cheers

Edit: Stuff

Last edited:
The other day I quoted a mean post to remind the author about the :swoon:-policy. At the same time the post was edited, however, I am certain I saw the mean words while typing. Once done, my post showed the edited quote rather than the initial one I intended to address.

When and how is the quote taken?

Cheers

Now change your post and see what happens

Now change your post and see what happens

Nothing. =/

I am guessing the forum checks the quotes again when you submit your post, so it changes if it was edited during the time you composed your post.

However, now that I think about it, it can't be like that since you can alter quotes.

Am I imagining things?

Not really sure myself.. unless the quote you did earlier.. was edited by moderator after the first post had changed. but i would expect if you quote something .. your post woudn't change just because they edited the original post.

Quoting is added as raw text into reply (at the moment you press "Reply") and doesn't have any link to the original, so I can't see how editing can affect a reply.

Not really sure myself.. unless the quote you did earlier.. was edited by moderator after the first post had changed. but i would expect if you quote something .. your post woudn't change just because they edited the original post.

If I mod a post, I then have to check the rest of the thread to manually edit any quote of it too.

Only 711 can completely answer this, as he is the goto person for all technical information for the forum, but I've noticed that there is a very short window - a few seconds or so - after you submit a post during which you can edit your without the 'Lasted edited' tag at the bottom coming up.
My guess is that this may have happened with the post that WhiningSkeptic quoted - and is why the quoted post only showed the edited text in his post.

Nothing. =/

I am guessing the forum checks the quotes again when you submit your post, so it changes if it was edited during the time you composed your post.

However, now that I think about it, it can't be like that since you can alter quotes.

Am I imagining things?

Its bbcode so the quote is in truth you copy pasting something and applying a mask to it.
So you either imagined it or the quote was modded :)

Quoting is added as raw text into reply (at the moment you press "Reply") and doesn't have any link to the original, so I can't see how editing can affect a reply.

Eureka!

I load the page and read. My browser displays the unedited version. I then the decide to quote. However, while I read, the post is edited. The forum picks up the edited post from the database and puts in the editor for me.

Conclusion: My memory fails me and the edited post must have indeed been included in the editor when I wrote my reply.

Edit:Two replies while I wrote this. No eureka for me :(

Back