Skillgains on killshot

Society
Titans of Space
John Black Knight
For a long time now i have noticed that the killshot seems to have a much higher probability of gaining skills then any other hit - so much so that i dont mind spending extra peds on finishing shots that do more damage then required to kill a target.
Most would say that im wasting peds this way (however hunting in space i dont have much choice anyways ;) ).

Has anyone ever tested to see if the skillgain from overdamaging a mob is compensated/rewarded by mindark with additional (higher) skillgains at the end ?

For a long time now i have noticed that the killshot seems to have a much higher probability of gaining skills then any other hit - so much so that i dont mind spending extra peds on finishing shots that do more damage then required to kill a target.
Most would say that im wasting peds this way (however hunting in space i dont have much choice anyways ;) ).

Has anyone ever tested to see if the skillgain from overdamaging a mob is compensated/rewarded by mindark with additional (higher) skillgains at the end ?

I imagine that would be rather hard to quantify since we do not know how the underlying skillgain algorithm works.

My understanding has always been that there's a kill bonus skill gain. Was way easy to see on old pre vu10 tants and merps.

There is. It is based on the level of the mob and the final kill bonus can be based on any attack you've done during that kill. Ie.. start off with arson and the kill bonus can be pyro And not rifle from the gun that did the shot.

My understanding has always been that there's a kill bonus skill gain. Was way easy to see on old pre vu10 tants and merps.

Not only easy to see but MA did mention a long time ago that it remembers the difference weapons being used and at the end can supply an additional bonus skill which can be for any of the weapons used. Hence switching between professions will make you notice skills from the weapon you are not finishing the mob with.

(there is no reason to overkill, you get the bonus skills anyhow)

Not only easy to see but MA did mention a long time ago that it remembers the difference weapons being used and at the end can supply an additional bonus skill which can be for any of the weapons used. Hence switching between professions will make you notice skills from the weapon you are not finishing the mob with.

(there is no reason to overkill, you get the bonus skills anyhow)

I agree that the message/bonus will be there but if you shoot at a highlevel mob with an opalo for an hour you would gain on every skillgainmessage just a small amount of skill whereas using a grenade launcher with alot of decay you would gain a much bigger amount of skill per skillgain message displayed.
The question is when it comes to the killshot will the bonus reflect a big skillgainmessage when a highdecay weapon is used or will it be a small/random skillgainmessage unrelated from the decay generated.
And if there is a relation taking decay or damage into account will it consider the decay of the last shot to 100% or just the fraction that was 'needed' to kill or will the bonus be totally unrelated to the decay and purely based on the mobs level.

If its not been properly tested yet - i guess i could run a testkillround collecting 100mobs have my crew damage them all down to killshot and just put the killshots in - make sure everyone spent the same number of shots and compare the total skillgain.

I agree that the message/bonus will be there but if you shoot at a highlevel mob with an opalo for an hour you would gain on every skillgainmessage just a small amount of skill whereas using a grenade launcher with alot of decay you would gain a much bigger amount of skill per skillgain message displayed.
The question is when it comes to the killshot will the bonus reflect a big skillgainmessage when a highdecay weapon is used or will it be a small/random skillgainmessage unrelated from the decay generated.
And if there is a relation taking decay or damage into account will it consider the decay of the last shot to 100% or just the fraction that was 'needed' to kill or will the bonus be totally unrelated to the decay and purely based on the mobs level.

If its not been properly tested yet - i guess i could run a testkillround collecting 100mobs have my crew damage them all down to killshot and just put the killshots in - make sure everyone spent the same number of shots and compare the total skillgain.

A long shot ... I wouldn't think that it is the case.
Overkill is a loss in loot, I don't see why you would win it in skills.

But testing will never hurt ofc ;)

The extra skill bonus has always been there - there should be some old threads about it on here. I believe Marco told everyone on this forum that it was the case.

My understanding is that the kill bonus for skills is a bonus for the kill not for decay. I haven't checked lately but I used to hit a creature with each type of weapon and then kill with my main DPS because on the kill you get a bonus roll for each type used. For instance you can get short blade, long blade, blp, laser, whipper, etc.... Bonus gains all on the same kill shot. This is a huge factor in skilling esp at lower levels. Kill shot bonus is significantly more valuable (either overall or per ped to kill I'm not sure) on smaller mobs, so when trying ng to skill fast you have to balance between more skills gained on small mobs kill shots vs higher DPS and decay skill gains on larger mobs for the time spent.

If comparing ped vs. Ped the small mob always gives more skills, but when you factor time..... It becomes less Clear.

L# also plays a part in the equation. Higher L# between two mobs with the same HP will give noticeably more skills.

Edit: typing from phone sorry about formatting errors or typos.
Twenty 100hp mobs will give you a lot more skills than a single 2k HP mob. But it takes longer to kill them because of lost weapon efficiency and moving between mobs. This is one reason bardcore skippers love rockets. The best of but the worlds.....

Back