Crypto Currency(ex.: bitcoin)... PED already a Crypto

Bitcoin Wallets are anonymous ? This is a huge problem for a company like mindark because they must prevent money laundering, else they get in trouble or get shut down by authorities.

Why is this relevant? If its so good at being anonymous (Which it is pretty good) then the company has nothing to worry about. The currency will be peer to peer anyways. That is like trying to hold Gold responsible if its used as a money laundering tool. You kind of contradict yourself... if bitcoin is so good at being anonymous... why wouldnt I just use bitcoin?

AIA DIDNT READ THE WHOLE POST said:
I guess most of us who deposit get our Money in our paychecks in "fiat" currency; deposit through bitcoins would be an additional step.

The "inspired audience" would be those who get their income in bitoins.. (well or are bitcoin traders). I'm pretty sure that the compaines who sell Products and charge in bitoins pay their employees in "fiat" currencies; after all there are third parties (ie tax authorities) that assume salaries and book keeping is done using official tender for that country.
At the risk of sounding pretention ill keep this short. I am not proposing you deposit with bitcoin... never was. My reference to "inspired audience" would be those activily involved in economics, and monetary systems. An audience that understood the current world of Digital Currencies. That audience would know that Bitcoin is 1 of 1000's of digital currencies now, and anyone has the ability to create a currency, including MA. Which pretty much already has (PED).

Guys you all really miss the point of this post. Was to bring posotive ideas to the concept of decentralizing the PED. Which there are more then there are not, but again I am just assuming its the inspired audience reference. I am really surprised there are not more people on the boards who understand Cryptocurrencies.

Great question Etopia.

If you disconnected the PED from the USD you give PED the ability to rise and fall. Its value would be determined then by Entropia Universe and its value to the market place of gaming.
So the benefit is obvious here if you believe that Entropia Universe is growing and will continue to grow.

By disconnecting and allowing the value of the PED to rise or fall, our investment of PED has the ability to increase in value. If PED is worth 10:$1 now and we assume that this is the market value now.(meaning the market truly rates that as its exchange rate when open to a free market) then if we have people joining the game on consistent basis, faster than we have paid users leaving, then the value of PED has to go up per unit. As long as MindArk Puts a Market Cap on how many PED it will release.

PED effectively becomes a micro stock or in the most direct understanding, an actual currency with the ability to rise and fall in value depending on how well the “country” is doing financially.

Mind Ark is a cash positive organization, unlike the United States. So if that’s true, the value of Mind Ark should be rising as it creates new ways to interest its users and attract new ones.

I like the idea that my PED holdings can increase from 10:$1 to 10:$1.5 just because the game is doing better and there is more people joining.

If you really think about it, your deposits now you are investing into MA, the difference is your PED doesn’t reflect that. Mind Ark currently just eats that value (assuming it is there). However if there were a fixed number of PED like 100,000,000 eventually the PED runs out and your PED will start to increase in value (again assuming we have more people join the game).

We know Mindark is interested in us Viewing ped as a spendable currency, which is why they made the credit cards available to us a while back. What this does is bridge that game and allow people MA to collect transaction fees vs Visa/Master Card. The benefits for MA are exponential and are a different topic.

Don't mind me asking but...does the following two points sum up what your trying to say?

1. Delink PED exchange rate of 10 PED : 1 USD.
  2. Make there be a finite amount of PEDs.

If yes, then my question to you would be...how would MA survive as a company then?

Afaik, MA is a company that has expenditures. It needs Swedish Krona to pay for stuff annually and its employees monthly.

To that extent, MA survives by the deposits that players give them. As in it sells PEDs to those players at a fixed rate of 10 PED : 1 USD.

By delinking the exchange rate and what's worse...making it a finite amount, how do you suppose MA gets the money to pay for its expenses?

By making it a finite amount and delinked, do you suppose people would even play the game and spend their PEDs?

At the current rates of returns, people are already crying about their losses. What do you think they would be doing if it becomes 1 PED per 10 USD for instance?

With no people spending their PEDs, MA cannot make more PEDs to sell (cause its a finite amount) and then what? We all hug together and drown, I suppose? :silly2:

PED needs a serious re-evaluation.

if by "re-evaluation" you mean:

PED being pegged to the dollar it's destined for failure as the dollar will most likely crash and when it does it takes PED with it and every FIAT currency in existence that's based on the dollar as the reserve currency.

Then yes, I agree PED does need a serious re-evaluation.

Here's an idea.. :wise:

Rather than peg PED to the USD, create a new cryptocurrency (as there are many in existence); replicate an existing coin like Bitcoin, except give it a larger block size, like 50 MB; or 1MB and increasing every year by X%; that's even smarter. Call this cryptocurrency "PED" .. Heck it'd probably even be wise to make another cryptocurrency called "PEC" and have it interract kinda like the DAO interracts with ETH. Merge that currency with the game this will give PED the cryptocurrency "instant value" .. offer the players an "incentive" for making trades in game with this cryptocurrency. Mind Ark can even hedge and still suck USD out of the cryptocurrency if they so please by converting all their PED and PEC (crypto) into BTC and having a company such as BitPay (whom I have no affiliation with, I'm just familiar as they are among top payment processors) convert all the BTC into their coveted USD.

if by "re-evaluation" you mean:

PED being pegged to the dollar it's destined for failure as the dollar will most likely crash and when it does it takes PED with it and every FIAT currency in existence that's based on the dollar as the reserve currency.

Then yes, I agree PED does need a serious re-evaluation.

Here's an idea.. :wise:

Rather than peg PED to the USD, create a new cryptocurrency (as there are many in existence); replicate an existing coin like Bitcoin, except give it a larger block size, like 50 MB; or 1MB and increasing every year by X%; that's even smarter. Call this cryptocurrency "PED" .. Heck it'd probably even be wise to make another cryptocurrency called "PEC" and have it interract kinda like the DAO interracts with ETH. Merge that currency with the game this will give PED the cryptocurrency "instant value" .. offer the players an "incentive" for making trades in game with this cryptocurrency. Mind Ark can even hedge and still suck USD out of the cryptocurrency if they so please by converting all their PED and PEC (crypto) into BTC and having a company such as BitPay (whom I have no affiliation with, I'm just familiar as they are among top payment processors) convert all the BTC into their coveted USD.

Holy necro batman.

I think I'll stick to USD, I can use it to buy things :)

I am here to talk about PED being untied to USD and its value being tied to Entropia's Value, vs the USA value.

1. Each time a major bitcoin Exchange is "hacked", one way or Another, the value of Bitcoin seems go sink like a rock. From a Quick glance, that doesn't make it look like a solid currency.

2. Why I wouldn't like Bitcoin in a Place like Entropia, is that issuers of ransomware often demands payment being paid in Bitcoins. A journalist once let his computer be infected by ransomware, and well, he tracked the technical parts down to server and ISP; and as for the Money he tracked the bitcoins to something he said was a well known bitcoin Money launder Enterprise. In that perspective, I wouldn't want Entropia be a part of ransomware Money changing hands, by adding an alternative layer that could launder Money coming from ransomware victims.

On the other hand, wasn't there a payment provider already that accepted bitcoins as a mean of depositing into entropia? If there is, I guess the payment provider will take the business risks associated with bitcoins. Please don't complain if the payment provider charges fees though.

ED being pegged to the dollar it's destined for failure as the dollar will most likely crash and when it does it takes PED with it and every FIAT currency in existence that's based on the dollar as the reserve currency.

In case you haven't noticed it: Many national banks in western World are actually trying to keep their currency *down*. One reason is to keep the services done in the nation internationally competative, and the other reason is to increase(!) the prices in the land (create inflation), so that people will spend more Money and not just put Money in the mattress or bank.

The net result is, if Dollar would go down significally, other countries will also let their currency fall; in the longer run will currencies be at the same level becuase other national banks will follow. And on the other hand, there are other nations that will try to keep USD *up*, so that that people who pay with USD still will afford to shop from the domestic factories.

Last edited:
This topic just wont die will it? :D

Switching to crypto currency becasue "the dollar might collapse" is, and pardon my french, horseshit. If the dollar collapses id rather have my money stowed away in the form of timber then bitcoins, atleast then i can burn it for warmth while i hide away from the marauding hordes of looters.

Some of you bitcoin people dont seem to realise that if the fiat system completely collapses we are at the very least looking at major civil unreset in the entire developed world for a very long time, if not full blown civil war in a lot of countries. At that point i doubt your local canned food supplier will accept bitcoins...

Last edited:
You're just advocating replacing one fiat currency with another. Not solving anything. None of the currencies are backed by anything.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/04/bitfinex-hack-could-shake-faith-in-bitcoin.html

Bitcoin is not fiat currency. Also, bitcoin is backed by math. I believe in math. You're a math guy, right? Though in the case of Bitfinex, I'm guessing what you really mean is that people's money isn't insured in the case of hacking/theft?

The lesson in the bitfinex hack is never keep more on an exchange than you need to trade.

Also, Bitcoin isn't for everybody, obviously. Anyone can think of a million reasons for not buying into something. Which is perfectly fine. In the meantime, early adopters such as myself will continue to happily accumulate.

1. Each time a major bitcoin Exchange is "hacked", one way or Another, the value of Bitcoin seems go sink like a rock. From a Quick glance, that doesn't make it look like a solid currency.

I wouldn't exactly call the price of bitcoin dropping from the high $600's to the mid $500's sinking "like a rock." More like panic selling - aka moving from the weak hands into the strong hands. Others would even say, a nice buying opportunity. Anyway the price has recovered somewhat, btw and seems to be holding steady/rising nicely even in spite of a major exchange being hacked.

2. Why I wouldn't like Bitcoin in a Place like Entropia, is that issuers of ransomware often demands payment being paid in Bitcoins. A journalist once let his computer be infected by ransomware, and well, he tracked the technical parts down to server and ISP; and as for the Money he tracked the bitcoins to something he said was a well known bitcoin Money launder Enterprise. In that perspective, I wouldn't want Entropia be a part of ransomware Money changing hands, by adding an alternative layer that could launder Money coming from ransomware victims.

Well for one, the way to combat ransomeware in the first place is to back up your files. If you do that, it doesn't matter what hackers demand payment in. If you have backed up your important files, you can tell the hackers to go F themselves. The people and business who fell prey to ransomware attacks such as the hospitals and healthcare networks in recent news didn't back up their files. If they had, they would still have access to their data/files and wouldn't have had to pay the criminals. Sometimes the hard way is the best way to learn as they say.[/QUOTE]

Also, bitcoin is backed by math. I believe in math.

Once in a while, the payment for mining is halfed; this is because there is a max number of Bitcoins availible. The mining itself is kind of what runs the system (signing of the transaction); so eventually the "free signing" will cease. Already, the way mining is rewarded (one "Winner" takes all) makes it hard for all but the biggest mining Groups to run.

Though in the case of Bitfinex, I'm guessing what you really mean is that people's money isn't insured in the case of hacking/theft?

I'll take it again: When a major Bitcoin trader is hacked/scammed, the Bitcoin rate tends to go down. At least for a while, it will be harder to sell bitcoins after that kind of events. This is regardless if you use the Exchange or not.

A nearby risk, related to what you say, is where you Think the highest security is. Do you know what's most secure; your computer or the mainframe at a professional Bitcoin trader? Again, Think ransomware and trojans. (As a sidenote, the ransomware/trojan distributors tend to exlude certain nations/top level domains from being infected, accidently those nations/top level domains seems to be the area where the ransomware/trojans originate. This means that certain regions might be safter than others to store bitcoins on local computer than others because the villains will leave them alone.)

Also, Bitcoin isn't for everybody, obviously. Anyone can think of a million reasons for not buying into something. Which is perfectly fine. In the meantime, early adopters such as myself will continue to happily accumulate.

If you Watch Bitcon rate, the bitcoin rate has had two phases: Before January 2013 and after; at beginning of January 2013 the rate rised like a Nail. Before 2013, the bitcoin currency was varying around 6-12 and after 60-200. In other Words, If you had bitcoins Before 2013 and still have them, congratulations. But as it looks low, it's on the second relatively volatile Plateau. Looking at graph there does't seem line an obvious reason to get into bitcoins now. I'd say feel free to continue to "accumulate", but after the hike in 2013, don't expect a lot of others to join.

Once in a while, the payment for mining is halfed; this is because there is a max number of Bitcoins availible. The mining itself is kind of what runs the system (signing of the transaction); so eventually the "free signing" will cease. Already, the way mining is rewarded (one "Winner" takes all) makes it hard for all but the biggest mining Groups to run.
That's a very superficial and incomplete explanation of what bitcoin mining is, but ok. Not sure what point you are trying to make here. Are you trying to say that once all the bitcoins have been mined, miners will no longer have incentive to verify transactions? If so, I'll just refer you to here to this article which explains the possibilities better than I ever could: https://news.bitcoin.com/what-happens-bitcoin-miners-all-coins-mined/

I'll take it again: When a major Bitcoin trader is hacked/scammed, the Bitcoin rate tends to go down. At least for a while, it will be harder to sell bitcoins after that kind of events. This is regardless if you use the Exchange or not.

And I'll reply to this again, the drop in price is because of panic selling. Which is followed by a correction upwards due to people buying at the discounted prices. Bitcoin moving from weak hands in to the strong hands. This has been the case in every instance of an exchange being hacked/shut down/DDOS attacked etc. Every time, the price has rebounded from the initial drop. Traders love this, btw. Not sure where you get the idea that it is very hard to sell bitcoins after these kinds of events. It is around these events when you see high trading volume occuring. Again, traders love the volatility.

A nearby risk, related to what you say, is where you Think the highest security is. Do you know what's most secure; your computer or the mainframe at a professional Bitcoin trader? Again, Think ransomware and trojans. (As a sidenote, the ransomware/trojan distributors tend to exlude certain nations/top level domains from being infected, accidently those nations/top level domains seems to be the area where the ransomware/trojans originate. This means that certain regions might be safter than others to store bitcoins on local computer than others because the villains will leave them alone.)
I'll say once again, back up any important files and data so that if/when you ever get locked out of your computer/server/whatever by ransomeware, you won't have to worry about having to pay any ransom. Simple. You may have to buy a new cpu, but at least you still have access to your important stuff and don't have to pay anything to some thug. Everyone should do this - whether you're an individual or a big corporation. And store your main bitcoin hodlings in a cold wallet or a paper wallet. EZ game.

If you Watch Bitcon rate, the bitcoin rate has had two phases: Before January 2013 and after; at beginning of January 2013 the rate rised like a Nail. Before 2013, the bitcoin currency was varying around 6-12 and after 60-200. In other Words, If you had bitcoins Before 2013 and still have them, congratulations. But as it looks low, it's on the second relatively volatile Plateau. Looking at graph there does't seem line an obvious reason to get into bitcoins now. I'd say feel free to continue to "accumulate", but after the hike in 2013, don't expect a lot of others to join.

Trust me, I've been watching bitcoin well before I bought my first few batches in 2011. I can assure you there have been more than just "two phases" of bitcoin price. I have been buying, selling, trading, spending, gambling, losing, winning, earning and accumulating bitcoin for a while now and I've seen and lived through many phases. When bitcoin rose to $1, pundits were saying along the lines, "There is no reason to buy, the top is in.", "It's foolish to buy now at this inflated price.", "No way, bitcoin will go higher, only a fool would buy now." etc, etc. They all said the same thing when bitcoin hit $10. Again when it reqached $32, $50, $100, $260, $500, $760, and on and on.

All of this is pretty much off topic from this necroed thread, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway, what exactly in bitcoin's chart makes you say, "Looking at [the] graph there does't seem [like] an obvious reason to get into bitcoins now." ? Do you think the price will not ever go higher than what it is currently? Is it some cost prohibitive thing? Or is there some technical analysis leading you to think this way?

I wouldn't exactly call the price of bitcoin dropping from the high $600's to the mid $500's sinking "like a rock."

If my money lost 20% of its value I would definitely describe that as sinking like a rock. In fact, in the real world, if a currency lost that value there would be serious problems (see Venezuela, and oil).

I do have to point out the irony of valuing the bit coins in USD however :laugh:

Games taking advantage of the bitcoin blockchain technology are beginning to emerge.

These are games that create and make use of digital items and currencies that are freely tradable on a public blockchain, outside of the game. These game assets exist independently of the game that created them, and they truly belong to your patrimony. The same item can potentially be used in two or several different games that have nothing in common (there are already real examples).

Another advantage of the technology is that it can bring increased transparency regarding the real rarity of in-game items, because it is possible to fix the total number of a given item and publish it openly on the blockchain, without the possibility for the game issuer to make any change afterwards. Recently, such an item (a digital tcg card limited to 200 units) was privately traded on the blockchain for $3700.

Last edited:
it looks very shady, i'm pretty sure it isn't approved by mindark, and especially trading PED outside of the universe is against EULA isn't it?

Yes. Unless MA announces they did it themselves or partnered with so-and-so for this project, it is most certainly not approved and any deals you enter are at your sole risk.

If it's not an outright scam, then it is a dilettanteish attempt at piggybacking. Ask the guy to post a picture of his bedroom, er office. By the way, I am the nephew of the late king of Bunga-Bunga-Land who died in a plane crash and need your assistance in the transfer of US$ 39 million...

If my money lost 20% of its value I would definitely describe that as sinking like a rock. In fact, in the real world, if a currency lost that value there would be serious problems (see Venezuela, and oil).

I do have to point out the irony of valuing the bit coins in USD however :laugh:

Well, like I said before, Bitcoin is not for everyone. Some people are more risk averse than others. Those people should definitely stay away from Bitcoin.

And don't worry, the irony isn't lost on most, if not all, bitcoiners that Bitcoin's value is pegged to the USD (you aren't the first to notice), though most traders see it more as merely convention. Just as in Forex trading, or any trading for that matter, it is necessary to reference the curencies you are trading to a monetary value. Who knows, in the future, people may be valuing USD in bitcoin. Don't worry, we'll all prolly be long dead before that ever happens, lol. But oh, imagine the ironing then. :eyecrazy:

Also, I forgot to add in regards to your concerns about ransomware attacks. A person or business can be the target of a ransomware attack regardless of whether or not they own or implement Bitcoin in their business. Not owning or not utilizing Bitcoin doesn't make you immune from these attacks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik, the admins of the healthcare systems that were attacked had no idea prior to being attacked what Bitcoins even were, much less owned or used them to transact business. They only first heard of Bitcoins when those responsible demanded payment in Bitcoin. They had to go and buy Bitcoins to pay off those responsible for the attack.

So basically what I'm saying is MA can be targeted just as easily now by a ransomware attack as they could were they to implement Bitcoin as an extra deposit option. It makes no difference. The argument that MA shouldn't add Bitcoin as an extra deposit option because of the possibility of a ransomware attack doesn't hold water. Not to mention the fact, backing up important files and data essentially renders ransomware attacks powerless anyway.

@Optimator, can you explain hard wallets or whatever mechanism/strategy is used to keep your bitcoins safe offline and not on an exchange somewhere they can be hacked? I don't know much about it, just picking up some random stuff in my streams on this and wondered if you could explain it if you use it or not, or if there are exchanges that you use.

Fiat currency is back by math too. Its called forex. Your argument on the validity of bitcoin is invalid. It'd just another fiat currency with no tangible backing like any of the colored pieces of paper we use today. In fact the value of bitcoin operates in the same way as all fiat currencies do over the foreign exchange. Its value is based on the moods of the people who hold them.... just like bitcoins (example.. panic selling) and as such are prone to manipulation.

In fact, everything that exists is founded in mathematics. Just so happens that bitcoins is the latest thing that has come across that presents a barrier for governments to not print more of.. even though the creators certainly could. Few years ago it was those Ron Paul liberty dollars.. before that it was egold and other means.

So basically what I'm saying is MA can be targeted just as easily now by a ransomware attack as they could were they to implement Bitcoin as an extra deposit option.

It's not a ransomware attack, per se, that can strike MA; it is that ransomware attackers use MA to launder bitcoins. I don't want to spell it out, but there is a mechanism ingame that can, theoretically, be used to transfer funds from player A to player B and player B can walk away with the Money/PEDs relatively safe from risk of account lock.

@Optimator, can you explain hard wallets or whatever mechanism/strategy is used to keep your bitcoins safe offline and not on an exchange somewhere they can be hacked? I don't know much about it, just picking up some random stuff in my streams on this and wondered if you could explain it if you use it or not, or if there are exchanges that you use.

The first video below explains hardwallets infinitely better than I ever could. If I tried to explain here in my own words I'm afraid it would just be a tl;dr jumble of confusion. I'm just not very articulate or understandably concise when it comes to explaining technichal stuff, especially when I am nowhere near an expert on it.

The second video has info about another form of offline wallets aka "Cold Storage." Again, explaining it better than I ever could here.

What is a Hardware Wallet?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCFP0p7mOOo

Bitcoin 101 - Intro to Paper Wallets & Cold Storage - Bitcoin Security & Fun with Sloppy Wallets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1uefzJJ6nM

Also, here is a link to bitcointalk.org which is a bitcoin forum you can find experts on everything and anything bitcoin. (Beware the scammers and trolls) link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=57.0

This site is also good for beginner info: http://www.coindesk.com/information/

Fiat currency is back by math too. Its called forex. Your argument on the validity of bitcoin is invalid. It'd just another fiat currency with no tangible backing like any of the colored pieces of paper we use today. In fact the value of bitcoin operates in the same way as all fiat currencies do over the foreign exchange. Its value is based on the moods of the people who hold them.... just like bitcoins (example.. panic selling) and as such are prone to manipulation.

In fact, everything that exists is founded in mathematics. Just so happens that bitcoins is the latest thing that has come across that presents a barrier for governments to not print more of.. even though the creators certainly could. Few years ago it was those Ron Paul liberty dollars.. before that it was egold and other means.

Not sure what your definition of fiat currency is exactly, but as I understand it, fiat currency is money that has been forced into circulation and declared to be legal tender by order of a central power or government, legal tender meaning that the currency is legally binding and must be accepted by the receiving party. As it stands today, fiat currency is backed by government decree and to a certain extent, the stregnth of that government's/nation's economy. Which goes to your point about Forex backing fiat currency which I can agree with somewhat - in the sense that the strength of a nation's economy backing/giving value to it's currency compared to another nation's currency when it comes to forex.

Bitcoin the currency, on the other hand is not created by a centralized entity or government. It is literally created and made into being by actual math and proof of work and hence what I meant by it being backed by math. I don't have the expertise to explain in my own words how Bitcoins are created by math so I'll just quote from a Bitcoin faq page:

"How does Bitcoin mining work? [How Bitcoins are created]

Mining software listens for transactions broadcast through the peer-to-peer network and performs appropriate tasks to process and confirm these transactions. Bitcoin miners perform this work because they can earn transaction fees paid by users for faster transaction processing, and newly created bitcoins issued into existence according to a fixed formula.

For new transactions to be confirmed, they need to be included in a block along with a mathematical proof of work. Such proofs are very hard to generate because there is no way to create them other than by trying billions of calculations per second. This requires miners to perform these calculations before their blocks are accepted by the network and before they are rewarded. As more people start to mine, the difficulty of finding valid blocks is automatically increased by the network to ensure that the average time to find a block remains equal to 10 minutes. As a result, mining is a very competitive business where no individual miner can control what is included in the block chain.

The proof of work is also designed to depend on the previous block to force a chronological order in the block chain. This makes it exponentially difficult to reverse previous transactions because this requires the recalculation of the proofs of work of all the subsequent blocks. When two blocks are found at the same time, miners work on the first block they receive and switch to the longest chain of blocks as soon as the next block is found. This allows mining to secure and maintain a global consensus based on processing power.

Bitcoin miners are neither able to cheat by increasing their own reward nor process fraudulent transactions that could corrupt the Bitcoin network because all Bitcoin nodes would reject any block that contains invalid data as per the rules of the Bitcoin protocol. Consequently, the network remains secure even if not all Bitcoin miners can be trusted."

tl;dr: Bitcoins are created and backed by actual math and proof of work (see above).

If you consider this to be invalid as you stated earlier, then I don't know what else to say. We'll just go ahead and disagree.

And as far as Ron Paul Liberty Dollars and egold and others, which you mentioned, those are prime examples of centralized alternative currencies that failed. As opposed to Bitcoin, which is the first ever DEcentralized digital currency. Decentralized, meaning bitcoin does not have it's own governing authority, no CEO, no administration, is not run from an official website and has no central point of attack by which it could be shut down. Those alternate currencies you mentioned failed because of corruption inherent in a centralized system among other reasons and had various points of attack by which government authorities were able to shut them down: websites, physical offices, bank accounts, CEO's/admins that could be arrested, etc. etc.

It's not a ransomware attack, per se, that can strike MA; it is that ransomware attackers use MA to launder bitcoins. I don't want to spell it out, but there is a mechanism ingame that can, theoretically, be used to transfer funds from player A to player B and player B can walk away with the Money/PEDs relatively safe from risk of account lock.

Money laundering can be attempted ingame regardless if the ciminal is a ransomware person or just some random joe blow crook or whether they deposited via fiat or with bitcoin. Am I missing something here? What's the difference? What is it about ransomware attackers who try to launder money/bitcoin ingame that makes them any different from any other crook trying to launder money ingame? I mean, please do spell it out, because I must be extremely dumb or something as I'm not seeing it. I want to understand.

As stated multiple times in other threads, if MA were to use a 3rd party Bitcoin payment processor, no bitcoin would ever be in the game system. At no point would MA be holding any bitcoin in any of its accounts - ingame or outside the game. Player deposits via bitcoin, that bitcoin is converted to USD or whatever fiat currency by the bitcoin processor, the fiat currency is then transfered to MA who in turn credits the player with PED.

You say ransomware attackers use MA to launder bitcoins. These would be very dumb criminals. If someone wants to launder bitcoins, the easiest and least round-about way to do it is to simply use a bitcoin mixing service. Attempting to do so through MA, would just be taking unecessary risks and involve more people than needed. Mixing service: Just put bitcoins in mixing service. Receive bitcoins out, made up of hundreds/thousands of other pieces of other mixed up bitcoins. Simple, no questions asked.

Money laundering can be attempted ingame regardless if the ciminal is a ransomware person or just some random joe blow crook or whether they deposited via fiat or with bitcoin. Am I missing something here? What's the difference?

If MA was to accept bitcoins directly, it would be fairly easy for a criminal to create a dummy avatar, let that dummy avatar deposit bitcoins (achieved from criminal activities), do a one-way implicit (not explicit) trade (without confirmations) with goods with TT value (nanocubes from trade terminal will probably work but probably not the best way to stay under radar), the receiver TTs the received items and posts a withdrawal into IRL ("fiat") currency. If receiver also receives items in implicit trades from other players he would probably just claim that he doesn't chose who he trades if MA sees the pattern and wonder what's happening.

The implicit trades work simularily to the implicit trades at online poker games that has been used for Money laundering/Money transfer.

The convenient part is that MA woud do the part converting bitcoins into "fiat" currency and when the Money is withdrawn, from the outside it would look like a "gift" from MA without any trace of the origin.

All of this is pretty much off topic from this necroed thread, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway, what exactly in bitcoin's chart makes you say, "Looking at [the] graph there does't seem [like] an obvious reason to get into bitcoins now." ?

It's this chart I was looking on: http://www.xe.com/sv/currencycharts/?from=XBT&to=USD&view=5Y
I just drew my own conclusions looking on it.

tl;dr: Bitcoins are created and backed by actual math and proof of work (see above).

I Think we are talking about two different things.

For "fiat" currencies, the "backed by {your favorite national bank}" means that a national bank is behind at least trying to keep the currency stablel; and making the currency acctepted by currency trading between banks, so it is possible, in the long run, to change the currency into Another currency.

"Backed by actual math" is Another thing; it is mainly about securing that each bitcoin is genuine. It's like sayinig that, for instance, Australian dollar is backed by plastics (because they have some bills that are made by plastics to make them harder to forge). Then, for bitcoins, it's in the "rules" for bitcoins that there is a limited amount of them that will never go up. It's like a national bank that promises that it won't put more Money into circulation; only print new bills to replace torn bills.

It's like Calling Rembrandt paintings a currency; Natually there are only a finite number of (genuine) Rembrandt paintings. In beginning, only a few were known, but by time previously unown paintings are found and put into market. To that say that bitcoin is backed by math, it's like saying that Rembrandt paintings is backed by history (the fact it's certain no more Rembrandt paintings will be created).

For most people, bitcoins are like that. Some people have a heap of bitcoins as investments, but most people would need to buy bitcoins on a market and then the other party would need to sell the bitcoins on the market. For someone having rent to pay each month, it wouldn't be feasible if suddently the paycheck wouldn't suffice to pay the rent because a heap of people just got "scared" because a major Bitcoin trader just got scammed.

Last edited:
If MA was to accept bitcoins directly, it would be fairly easy for a criminal to create a dummy avatar, let that dummy avatar deposit bitcoins (achieved from criminal activities), do a one-way implicit (not explicit) trade (without confirmations) with goods with TT value (nanocubes from trade terminal will probably work but probably not the best way to stay under radar), the receiver TTs the received items and posts a withdrawal into IRL ("fiat") currency. If receiver also receives items in implicit trades from other players he would probably just claim that he doesn't chose who he trades if MA sees the pattern and wonder what's happening.

The implicit trades work simularily to the implicit trades at online poker games that has been used for Money laundering/Money transfer.

The convenient part is that MA woud do the part converting bitcoins into "fiat" currency and when the Money is withdrawn, from the outside it would look like a "gift" from MA without any trace of the origin.

The scenario you presented could happen the exact same way as well by someone who wanted to launder fiat currency acheived from criminal activities. Crook deposits money he wants to launder. MA converts that RL fiat money into PEDs, the crook(s) do their thing ingame as you described, then withdraw to the dummy/receiver account. I would hope MA had something in place whereby this activity would be detected, but in any case, whether it's fiat or bitcoin, MA does the "convenient part" as you put it, by converting whatever currency into PEDs.

Not to mention again, that it is much easier and efficient to launder bitcoins by simply using a bitcoin mixing service. Simple, less steps, up front, no dummy accounts, no need for covert activity, etc. Only a moron would want to go through all the hassle and risk to launder btc through MA/EU.

Your stance that MA shouldn't accept bitcoin deposits because of people who might use the game to launder bitcoins makes no sense to me - no offense. By your logic, fiat currency deposits shouldn't be accepted either then, as it is just as possible to launder fiat deposits the same way you described for bitcoin deposits.

It's this chart I was looking on: http://www.xe.com/sv/currencycharts/?from=XBT&to=USD&view=5Y
I just drew my own conclusions looking on it.

I was just curious as to the reason behind your statement, "Looking at [the] graph there does't seem [like] an obvious reason to get into bitcoins now." I just thought it was interesting because that's what people have been saying since the beginning of Bitcoin's chart, especially during the earlier times when the chart had the same shape you are looking at but on a smaller scale. Anyways, your conclusions are your conclusions, I guess.

I Think we are talking about two different things...[reasoning]
Yes, and that pretty much is my point.

The scenario you presented could happen the exact same way as well by someone who wanted to launder fiat currency acheived from criminal activities. Crook deposits money he wants to launder. MA converts that RL fiat money into PEDs, the crook(s) do their thing ingame as you described, then withdraw to the dummy/receiver account. I would hope MA had something in place whereby this activity would be detected, but in any case, whether it's fiat or bitcoin, MA does the "convenient part" as you put it, by converting whatever currency into PEDs.

The major option today for deposits is by using "creditcards", or by using PayPal. Creditcards are usually issued by banks, and by law, in most western countries, they nowdays must (by law) have routines to prevent Money laundring. For the other major option, Paypal, I guess they try to do what they can. After all, we have read here about players who had gotten locked ingame because of warnings from Paypal for suspicious deposits. Remains Voucher deposit. Yes, I Think I can remember that a randomware attack wanted a voucher code from a certain voucher provider to send the unlock password. It's not common though.

Maybe Entropia could be a way to "cashify" bitcoins that come from a mixing service. While, maybe, a professional trading service wouldn't touch bitcoins they suspect come from a mixing service, MA might not have the knowledge to track down from where it comes.

I was just curious as to the reason behind your statement, "Looking at [the] graph there does't seem [like] an obvious reason to get into bitcoins now." I just thought it was interesting because that's what people have been saying since the beginning of Bitcoin's chart, especially during the earlier times when the chart had the same shape you are looking at but on a smaller scale. Anyways, your conclusions are your conclusions, I guess.

At first, the trend was slowly upgoing, with some smaller peaks. Then at December 3rd, 2013 it peaked at its all time high after pretty much an exponential rise just Before. After that day, bitcoin currency has been relatively volatile, and (of course, but definition) hasn't reached near that top again.

One thing that has happened, is that the trader that I guess was doing 90% of the trades, Mt Gox, collapsed after getting hit by a kind of forgery. And after that, it's likely that Bitcoin has become volatile because lack of a big trader such as MtGox.

Also, again: Wasn't it possible to deposit bitcoins through, I Think, PayPal? If so, then the problem is solved for those who want to deposit bitcoins, and it will be PayPal who will take the risk if something bad happens; and PayPal (or an external Company that handles deposits) are probably better equipped for it than MA.

The major option today for deposits is by using "creditcards", or by using PayPal. Creditcards are usually issued by banks, and by law, in most western countries, they nowdays must (by law) have routines to prevent Money laundring. For the other major option, Paypal, I guess they try to do what they can.

Yes, banks/CC's and paypal have systems in place that can alert those looking for it to possible money laundering activity. However, these methods of deposit can actually help crooks launder fiat money through EU. See below.

How to launder fiat currency in EU:

For example, Steve, a small time drug dealer, has $20,000 US made form illegally selling drugs which he wants to clean and put in his bank without causing any red flags to go up, or at least he wants to be able to have have a legit explaination as to where he got the money from (from EU) whether flags are raised or not. If he hasn't already done so previously, the first thing he does is create a legitimate account with his ID/email/bank/credit card/paypal info/etc and makes a cc or paypal deposit. Later, he goes to any paysafecard retailer and buys 200 x $100 paysafecards at various retailers with the drug money cash - no ID required, except only to show the retailer that you are 18 years or older if they ask. As you can see from the deposit options, paysafecards are accepted by MA. Steve the drug dealer proceeeds to deposit the $20k via the paysafecards incrementally over time.

He doesn't even have to make an alt account at any point. Just play the game normally - hunt, mine, craft, trade, buy stuff, sell stuff, get his Gundam Style on at Camp Icarus, whatever. He bides his time exploring and plinking away at various mobs just like any other player would do. When he's ready, say 6 months or a year or more down the road, he starts withdrawing - again incrementally over time, he's in no hurry. He initiates withdrawal requests, MA checks his activity logs each time and sees nothing out of the ordinary, just normal play and thus processes his withdrawal requests to the his bank account. Mission accomplished. Money cleaned, even using and depositing initially with his bank/cc to set up a genuine account.

Here's another example of laundering fiat money through EU (again, helped by cc/paypal):

Again, we have Steve, the drug dealer who's end goal is to get the money he has earned from illegal activity into his legitimate bank account so that he can then invest that money and make it earn him more money legally. Steve the drug dealer creates genuine EU account with real ID/email/bank/cc/paypal infos and makes an initial legit cc or paypal deposit. He tells his drug buyer clients if they want to buy his illegal drugs, they need to create EU accounts and pay him ingame.

After building up a certain amount of PEDs, Steve then withdraws the money to his bank. Rinse and repeat each time a certain target amount of PEDs is reached. It may be harder not to raise suspicions, but since "all trades are final" and there being hundreds of jobs and services players can provide for each other for a fee/price, it's possible. And additionally, Steve the drug dealer can also play normally as described in the previous example.

So, fiat currency can be laundered through EU, just as easily as bitcoin deposits can.

One thing that has happened, is that the trader that I guess was doing 90% of the trades, Mt Gox, collapsed after getting hit by a kind of forgery. And after that, it's likely that Bitcoin has become volatile because lack of a big trader such as MtGox.

Bitcoin has gone back and forth between periods of stability and periods of volatility for various fundamental reasons all throughout its lifetime. MtGox is just one of many many fundamental events - events both positive and negative.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anyone advocating for MA to add an option for bitcoin deposits is trying to convince people to buy bitcoins or join the cult of bitcoin. As I said before, bitcoin isn't for everyone and everyone will have their own personal reasons as to why they would or would not allow themselves to get into bitcoin. In any case, the point of all these threads is that those, how ever many or few there are, who do have and/or are into bitcoin are simply requesting MA add an option for depositing in bitcoin.

I'm not saying that if MA were to add the option that I or others would all of the sudden start depositing tens of thousands of dollars worth of bitcoin into EU, I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to deposit money/bitcoin and not have to pay the higher fees. Again, it would just be an added option like all the other deposit options available. No one would be forced to have to go out and buy any bitcoins.

Also, again: Wasn't it possible to deposit bitcoins through, I Think, PayPal? If so, then the problem is solved for those who want to deposit bitcoins, and it will be PayPal who will take the risk if something bad happens; and PayPal

No, sorry, the problem isn't "solved" with paypal (LOL) - because of the fees that would be associated with paypal.

(or an external Company that handles deposits) are probably better equipped for it than MA.

YES, this! Absolutely this. This is all that we've been saying/asking for the whole time, nothing more. Using a bitcoin payment processor such as Bitpay or some other would just be an added option for depositing. It would allow MA to accept bitcoin deposits without actually having to hold any bitcoin at any point. And thus, at no point would MA be subject to the volatility of bitcoin price fluctuations someone were to deposit $100 US worth of bitcoin to EU via a bitcoin payment processor, MA would receive $100 US worth of whatever fiat currency it wanted, US, SEk, ?euro, whatever, even bitcoin or partially in bitcoin if they wanted.

And yes, as to your concerns, MA wouldn't have to worry where the bitcoin came from as far as illegal activity, already laundered/from a btc mixing service. That would be the processor's concern. There would likely be fees involved, but they would be minimal - much less than credit card/paypal fees for sure. In any case, MA would just pass the fee cost to the player depositing as they already do now at the time of deposit. The benefit to the player depositing btc via the btc processor is that the fees would be minimal, significantly less.

MA would still have to be vigilant as usual against money laundering either way - whether it's fiat or bitcoin deposit. But as long as they report and comply/cooperate with law enforcement authorities and aren't complicit with any form of money laundering or fraud, there shouldn't be any problem as far as MA getting into trouble.

Back