Server downtime for maintenance

Would be cool if the server didn't have to go offline just for some maintenance.

Would be cool if the server didn't have to go offline just for some maintenance.

would be cool, but not possible if things need be changed at server side :)

Laggy much? Let then clean it up..

Servers are up 99.7% of the time, so don't really see the issue. :scratch2:

Let me ask you this.. do you defrag and clean up your computer evdery week? If not , then the next question is.. do you notice your computer running slower/ Yes/ no? if yes, the you need to pull maintenance, if not, then you're lucky..

I mean why do they need to pull maintenance/ Well if you want.. llllllaaaaaaaggggg in your game, or if something goes sout (Like Last July when the servers were down 18 hurs due to a major issue with just 1 or 2 servers. ) I mean do yo want a smoother running game yes or no? If yes, then let them do their job.. if no, then enjoy the llllllllaaaaaagggggggg... After all 20-30 mnutes to clean up an issue saves you a lot of lag later on..

and ith that I will say it all. Pull maintenance on your coputter at least 1 to 2 times a month and you're fine.. ignore it, and expec your enjoyment on your computer to slow down..

But hey it's your computer not mine..

(Cpl) Benjamin Ben Coyote IFN Military Service
a.k.a" THe Blind Sniper" (And) "His_Dog_Spot"

Let me ask you this.. do you defrag and clean up your computer evdery week? If not , then the next question is.. do you notice your computer running slower/ Yes/ no? if yes, the you need to pull maintenance, if not, then you're lucky..

I mean why do they need to pull maintenance/ Well if you want.. llllllaaaaaaaggggg in your game, or if something goes sout (Like Last July when the servers were down 18 hurs due to a major issue with just 1 or 2 servers. ) I mean do yo want a smoother running game yes or no? If yes, then let them do their job.. if no, then enjoy the llllllllaaaaaagggggggg... After all 20-30 mnutes to clean up an issue saves you a lot of lag later on..

and ith that I will say it all. Pull maintenance on your coputter at least 1 to 2 times a month and you're fine.. ignore it, and expec your enjoyment on your computer to slow down..

But hey it's your computer not mine..

(Cpl) Benjamin Ben Coyote IFN Military Service
a.k.a" THe Blind Sniper" (And) "His_Dog_Spot"

I think you missed the point of my post...

I was pointing out that the uptime is close to 100% meaning that half an hour maintenence a week is completely acceptable .

I was pointing out that the uptime is close to 100% meaning that half an hour maintenence a week is completely acceptable .

An MMORPG I used to play many years ago used to have 30 mins - 1 hour downtime every day (no idea if its still the case)

An MMORPG I used to play many years ago used to have 30 mins - 1 hour downtime every day (no idea if its still the case)

Ah I played an MMO that used to have 5-6 hours downtime weekly for server stuff (and was made by a bigger company) so... :laugh:

EDIT: That's in one go, not split over each day

And that's the hole point, it is better to have a 30 to 60 minute down time to make sure the system is still running properly than to actually have it not be maintaied, and have issues lthat later on affedct us all. (And yes Lag is one of those issues ). But I think in the case of a server downtime, especially when you are dealing with Let's see. about 0 or so servers? (and I think this is on all worlds ) The time frame to pull that maintenance shouldn't take more than a couple of hours tops..(So my quesiton is, is it acceptable to ahve even a 30 minute down time once every week just so we don't experience as much lag/ I think it is as well (So I'm not dissagreeing here , I too was just stating obvious fact as to why game companies need to pull mainntenance, that's all reaally..)

(Cpl) Benjamn Ben Coyote (IFN Military)
a.ki.a "The Blind Sniper (and) "His_Dog_Spot"

Fair points everyone makes and noted :laugh:

I do admit, despite my petty gripe with the maintenance, the system works really well. I wouldn't want to see it any less.

I was just thinking it would be cool for maintenance to still occur without shutting the world off temporarily. You don't switch off your pc/laptop when you defrag right?

Wow has 6 hours downtime every week, and while they've been better recently, they have times that it has to be extended to 10 hours.

maybe they should have a small pvp server up when they take the main servers down.. a waiting area... where you can fire guns with no ammo loss.. king of the hill or king of the tower style ;)

maybe they should have a small pvp server up when they take the main servers down.. a waiting area... where you can fire guns with no ammo loss.. king of the hill or king of the tower style ;)

that would be some fun, and free sounds good also :)

Terrific idea!!!

I suppose Ma are better than most platform, but to be leaders you shouldn't stand still and accept things for as they are. Ideas like above will just improve ma's product!

Back