ESL - An observation.

Alainax

Elite
Society
Hardcore
Bonnie
I have noticed with ESL there is something we dead speak readers are missing. Or at least I am missing!

On several occasions my crew have been able to tell when someone chatting in the universal space chat is dead. Where as those with ESL cannot see. An example was someone fighting with a pirate, where all who did not have ESL could see the outcome of the battle, yet those with cannot - As the ESL just looks like normal type talk.

I had never really noticed it before until someone pointed out that someone else was dead, and I was completely none the wiser! As the space chat is universal to space, and not local, you do not get the " xx killed xxx" message.

A very trivial point of course, as there are not many situations where it is handy to know who is dead or alive in game.

I thought it might be a little idea though to maybe have a sybmol or such like to hint at who is speaking whilst being dead. So that those with ESL can tell just as easily as those without :)

Did it not used to be a slightly different colour before the new chat interface? Where as now all the colours are what ever we want them to be. Maybe a colour option for how dead speak would read could fix it :) ( unless there is already and I've totally missed it!)

Yes, the deathspeak used to be darker than normal text. And now I often find myself explaining to someone how to deal with being "stuck and can't move" while in fact they are just dead and accidentally abandoned the revive sequence :). I bet everyone with ESL has filled a support case at least once during this year after we got the new interface, to no avail.

Yes, the deathspeak used to be darker than normal text. And now I often find myself explaining to someone how to deal with being "stuck and can't move" while in fact they are just dead and accidentally abandoned the revive sequence :). I bet everyone with ESL has filled a support case at least once during this year after we got the new interface, to no avail.

That's a good example of where it is useful to know! and thanks for pointing out that it wasn't just me being daft :D

Yes. Would be very helpful in rookie chat. When we unknowingly respond to dead people, they get the impression that everyone can understand them.

Just bringing this up again, it was mentioned in space chat the other night. Some were aware someone was dead, others (with ESL) were not. It would be really useful to know who is dead when they speak :)

I agree that the colour of text being dead is hard to spot being different to local or trade chat.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a little skull icon or similar distinguishing feature at the start of the sentence?

I agree that the colour of text being dead is hard to spot being different to local or trade chat.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a little skull icon or similar distinguishing feature at the start of the sentence?

Yes, this.

I thought it might be a little idea though to maybe have a sybmol or such like to hint at who is speaking whilst being dead. So that those with ESL can tell just as easily as those without :)

Yes, this.

+1

Just like we have a heart symbol for friends...

Skull symbol is a good idea indeed.

Btw, is the ESL functionality itself fixed now? Without ESL you see this "oooOooOOooOoo" line?
I'm pretty sure it was broken for a long time, and i was about to say they should fix it.. but then remembered i have ESL and so i wouldn't notice if it was fixed lol

Last edited:
Skull symbol is a good idea indeed.

Btw, is the ESL functionality itself fixed now? Without ESL you see this "oooOooOOooOoo" line?
I'm pretty sure it was broken for a long time, and i was about to say they should fix it.. but then remembered i have ESL and so i wouldn't notice if it was fixed lol

It is fixed yes, without ESL you see the oOooOoOO... line
And I completely agree that there should be something to show that it's a dead person speaking. Even a * would be good :)

It is fixed yes, without ESL you see the oOooOoOO... line
And I completely agree that there should be something to show that it's a dead person speaking. Even a * would be good :)

I did consider an "*" or other ASCII character but it could be faked (not sure if there is a potential PVP Landgrab incentive to do this, but there might be just for mischief purposes)

A skull symbol in a similar fashion to the heart symbol as earlier mentioned would be an improvement on the "Three Shades of Grey" current situation. :)

Back