Entropia Universe Getting Oculus, SteamVR Support - VRFocus

News Bot

Guardian
Entropia Universe Getting Oculus, SteamVR Support
[SIZE=-1]VRFocus[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For the past 12 years PC videogame Entropia Universe has offered one of the largest Massively Multiplayer Online Real Cash Economy (MMORCE) experiences in the world. Players have been able to enjoy this sci-fi experience, travelling to a wide range of ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]and more[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

Interesting.. though our eye sight will suck big time if using those too long

This is cool.

Now can we get DirectX 11 support? :)

There are definitely going to be some challenges to overcome with this, from both an Entropia Universe perspective and also Oculus Rift's perspective.

Having been mucking about with a DK2 in Elite: Dangerous, I can share that the experience, while thoroughly awesome, is currently fundamentally flawed.

Things that would need to happen:

1) In the first instance, at least 4K screens need to be utilised instead of the current HD units. To achieve the VR experience, a couple of lenses are utilised within the unit, which means that the pixel density becomes all too apparent.

2) nVidia specific issue, but nVidia graphics cards that have more than one GPU on one card will not support the OR in direct mode properly. The only way I can get the OR to work on said card is to run in Extended Desktop mode, this causes other issues, where the situation becomes a multi-desktop environment, and as such, the refresh rate of the OR can become limited to the refresh rate of the normally primary monitor, which is another problem, you have to make the Oculus primary when running in extended mode, which is a real ball-ache to deal with.

3) MindArk will need to do a lot of work with the HUD stuff, such as lifting it from the 3D elements but also making it possible to look around that plane. Again, the need for this harks back to the pixel density issue, which would be alleviated somewhat by using a 4K solution, but I don't believe the use of 4K screens will fix it 100%. Currently Far Cry 3 can be run under VorpX, but this is merely a hook-in solution, I wonder if MindArk are going down that road or looking to work in direct mode.

4) Textual based content rethink. Being able to read text is going to be one of the hardest challenges as once again pixel density causes us issues here. Colouring of the text can help a little, but not all the way.

5) Other: with the successful development of bendable screens, I would have thought an easier on the eye solution would be to utilise these screens and bin the lensing. I don't know of the ins-and-outs of how the OR works, but I think being able to use a lenseless solution would help alleviate VR Sickness.

Don't hold your breath for this guys, but this is a truly exciting prospect, whenever it happens.

GZ ma taking uber serious action to become one in world wide press to have support of item that has biggest interest in gamers world.

by making EU support oculus it will be in a list which will be advertized in whole world.

ofc dx11 support can come too, but than need to upgrade engine itself.

I don't hold my breath

Maybe we get it on mindarks 20th anniversary , but when its implemented it will be a cool feature for sure :)

I think the various DX upgrades since CryEngine 2 was utilised in Entropia Universe haven't been enough to warrant MindArk's development resource, however, DirectX 12 which has a definite focus on running efficiently would be an extremely important step-up upgrade to the engine.

Today the company behind the title has announced plans to fully integrate support for virtual reality (VR) head-mounted displays (HMDs) into the title.

First of all there was many announced plans - after years some of them was abandoned, others are still in hiatus.
Therefore this might be one of marketing moves, to advertise existence of EU while riding on a VR wave news. We might never see it implemented, so don't get excited.

Secondly, any self respecting development team fixes all known bugs before implementing new code. Doing otherwise leads to massive problems and is hugely cost ineffective and counterproductive.
Although in recent year it seem like MA finally got this principle and they seem to fix more, they are still 'behind'.
It even seem like MA's coders do not track their bugs as they reappear quite often (unless it's the management that is ambitious and decide to ignore those tracked bugs).
If they would implement VR without addressing all existing bugs, that would seriously backfire.

Third, they have so many things that were promised and never implemented, that it would show serious disrespect to their customers (us) by bringing something new (and something that small percentage of users would utilize anyway) before something that was promised years ago and is still to be implemented.

Given those, I do not think we would see VR before 2020, if at all....

Secondly, any self respecting development team fixes all known bugs before implementing new code. Doing otherwise leads to massive problems and is hugely cost ineffective and counterproductive.

In my entire software development career, this has always been the ideal and never the practice. Various business constraints almost always usurp the ideal.

In my entire software development career, this has always been the ideal and never the practice. Various business constraints almost always usurp the ideal.

Bit off-topic.
In my experience that are always 'business people' who force developers to rush and deliver on-time instead quality. (Not saying that there are no teams who do not care about it.)
There are lots of benefits coming from fixing bugs before new code, and loads of penalties from not doing that.
But that is a discussion for another topic maybe.

Source..?
Where did they get this from?

I have a question: Who gives a shit?

Seriously. What. The. Hell. Questionmark?

VR for Entropia Universe

Will be fun.

Last edited:
So I have an Occulus. I got it to work great for the game.

There was a problem though.

When playing in first person mode the game looks amazing except, when you tag a mob it runs up to you and then starts doing it's repetitive lunges into your face. When it does this it generates a blurry depth perception from the nose of the monster to its back end. It did make me ill.

Not sure how they can fix that.

So I have an Occulus. I got it to work great for the game.

There was a problem though.

When playing in first person mode the game looks amazing except, when you tag a mob it runs up to you and then starts doing it's repetitive lunges into your face. When it does this it generates a blurry depth perception from the nose of the monster to its back end. It did make me ill.

Not sure how they can fix that.

I don't think it poses serious challenge, minimum distance should be set so mob doesn't get past avatar.

There are bigger problems, one of them redesigning UI to be able to use controller and at the same time not being limited to move, look, use too, change tool. EU has so many available actions that should be available to really enjoy game.
I do not think you can just 'look down' in headset and see keyboard, or can you?

I'm curious how you control EU in headset and how many actions are available to you.

You can't really see anything outside while inside the headset. There is a very tiny gap at the bridge of the nose you can use but it is extremely small and awkward. I ran all my controls through an X-Box controller as recommended by the developers. For standard hunting it was fine.

Texting with my Soc mates was pretty impossible and with the crappy resolution of the first gen I could not clearly read the text anyways.

What is the point to look into 3D at killing the same mob 10K times ?
Also, the game is absolutely not ready for that ...

Maybe in 2020 or will they postpone another promised system which was paid for ?

(ps : I own the Dev Kit 1 & 2 of the oculus rift and waiting for the virtuix omni delivery)

I play in 3rd person mode in EU and everywhere else where it's possible, so Oculus is of little use for me. But if adopting it will increase interest to the game, it's a great thing. In fact, this very article is already doing this job :)

I do........ :yup: Exclamation-mark! ;)

Perhaps I just don't get it, but here is my point of view:

VR is for people that want it to be realistic and want great gameplay. Ergo: VR is not for EU players.

What am I missing...? :scratch2:

Well for the purpose of the VR is sounds like a nice addition to the game, since this does have a powerful engine running and all that, which as seen by the pet contest pictures, you can manage to get some nice "views" and all that...

But in terms of general purpose and utility, it's limited, as in almost any other application it's being used on atm, besides FPS'

All in all, if it brings PR, it's good I supose, but if it takes too much time to implement... It's bad on many levels

The wording of the press release seems to suggest that what they're looking to gain from this is partnership with developers (planet partners or otherwise) who want to develop content using the EU platform in combination with VR functionality, rather than improving the existing content.

Perhaps I just don't get it, but here is my point of view:

VR is for people that want it to be realistic and want great gameplay. Ergo: VR is not for EU players.

What am I missing...?
This....
I play in 3rd person mode in EU and everywhere else where it's possible, so Oculus is of little use for me. But if adopting it will increase interest to the game, it's a great thing. In fact, this very article is already doing this job :)
Some of this....
The wording of the press release seems to suggest that what they're looking to gain from this is partnership with developers (planet partners or otherwise) who want to develop content using the EU platform in combination with VR functionality, rather than improving the existing content.

And I'm an electronic engineer so so this type of stuff peeks my interest! :woot: Also I do believe they have to improve the existing backbone to make this work seamlessly. As with everything, time will tell! ;)

It's kind of funny. You guys talk about this like it is something that will ever happen in your lifetime. :laugh:

It's kind of funny. You guys talk about this like it is something that will ever happen in your lifetime. :laugh:

This might happen sooner :laugh:

latest

MA should concentrate and fast on good software and platform for mobiles and tablets and flexible payments and deposits from these . This market is goin higher and higher every day. Maybe not hunting and mining, but auction, crafting,shops, trading..etc should work nice.

What is the point to look into 3D at killing the same mob 10K times ?
Also, the game is absolutely not ready for that ...

Maybe in 2020 or will they postpone another promised system which was paid for ?

(ps : I own the Dev Kit 1 & 2 of the oculus rift and waiting for the virtuix omni delivery)

I agree, the oculus is enabled for several games already, but those games including Entropia are in no way ready for the (best) experience with the oculus.

Back