Question: What hardware and software do you use for Entropia videos?

Steveyneo

Guardian
Society
Groene Draeck
Steveyneo Weltmeister Honsook
Hi folks,

This is a general request for information from the Entropia video-making community regarding what hardware/software you use to record and produce/encode your movies?

I keep things very basic: I have been using Fraps for years now but my home PC isn't designed for gaming, so I'm not pushing past 'medium' graphics settings when I play. This however enables me to create some half-decent video captures with sound, so I'm happy with that.

I then use Windows Movie Maker just to stick it all together, add some transition effects and have used EU music over some of them. I usually save as a HD file which gives a good clear finish. What this doesn't allow me to do of course is make things a bit more interesting with multiple video layers and other effects.

What I'd really like to think about doing is audio voice-overs and 'video in picture', as many people do nowadays. I have a Logitech HD cam for instance and could make use of that, but don't know what software I might need?

How do you guys go about recording and editing your videos and how do you each audio voiceover and video in picture effects?

Fraps working fine for me (got lot of free HDD space). Then i use Movie Maker to edit it (basically just to save it to another format to make it smaller)

Seems Bandicam support the PiP thing, but never used it personally.

DXTORY, epic and low load on comp.

Thanks for the responses guys - I will certainly look into Bandicam and Dxtory, they look interesting.

Using Fraps seems fine for the time being. It does create fairly large AVI files but I like being able to put them into Movie Maker and easily throwing together a movie. It just takes a long time to encode if the movie is lengthy and I do it in HD but it makes all the difference, even if the graphics being captured aren't very high.

What kind of graphics card do you have?
If you have an Nvidia Geforce card you should look into http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/shadowplay/
The performance when recording with it is really good.
If I'd make a movie today that is what I'd use.

In the past I used fraps and it worked fine but it used way to much resources in my opinion.

Look into OBS.
It's app made for streaming but there is option to save local videos, and it's very powerful.

@Amber Knightley
I have an old NVidia card but the PC in general goes a bit crazy whenever I push the graphics past medium :-/ Thanks for the link.

@Teiwaz Storm
That's for the suggestion regarding OBS, I'll look into it!

I've recently purchased a GoPro Hero4 Black action cam (for non-EU related stuff of course), which comes with GoPro Studio video software. I'm thinking of importing my FRAPS videos into that to see what it does - might be interesting!

Back