XP gain from driving

DeadShawn

Dominant
(I'm not suggesting XP gain from driving, the title of this post was changed)

I still play from time to time, gotta check them deeds. And my PED balance keeps going up, that's cool. I've played since the early 2000's, the so called golden days.

Lately I've found Entropia boring.

I recently started playing <another game>. Now, it is a VERY different game, but there are good ideas in there that could be applied to entropia.

One very fun thing to do in <another game> is drive around the cities and landscapes. It's just fun to do. Driving in entropia is kinda fun, but doesn't have the same feel at all. Also, in <another game> you get RP (experience) for completing challenges, such as drive X km, or take a jump and get X seconds of airtime. Driving in entropia would be more interesting if you got just a little bit of XP now and then. It doesn't have to be much, just something every so often.

Which brings me to PvP. We have a really cool system on Calypso, the forts. Players can host events with prizes, ammo decay can be half. Cool. But there are rarely ever events, and when there are they're often at a bad time. What if, if no events were scheduled there could be "default" events. Just team deathmatches or something. Maybe 1 ped entry fee? With some sort of team balancing. And players need to be able to join them at any time from anywhere (on calypso) easily. Press of a button easy.

The same could be done with races. Maybe every 10mins or something, 1 ped entry, 1st (maybe 2nd and 3rd) get ped, everybody gets SOME xp for completing it.

Things like bot missions are cool, but they're too expensive for some people. There is the free one (is there still?) but it can be hard to find and get teammates for.

I love entropia. I think there is so much potential, but it has been potential for 10 years. It won't hit that point without more fun. More activities. Something to do when we lost all our ped hunting/mining.

Last edited:
<removed>

The developers did half implement a race track, but I dont think anyone used it.

Bear in mind MA did shoehorn a MMORPG into a FPS engine in 2010, now that couldn't have been easy thing to do!

If PVP doesn't work here it might be because the majority of the playerbase arent particularly interested in PVP. I have yet to be convinced otherwise. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
true

<removed>

Yeah, the race track is a great start, but the problem is getting people to go there. If I make a race and don't promote it nobody will come. If I make a race and spend a day promoting it maybe 2-3 people will come. I'm not going to spend an entire day promoting a race, it's a waste of my time. They need a system where people can just click a button that says "i wanna race" and it'll search for other people that also want to race and after some time (60seconds? 120seconds?) teleport them to the race. <removed>

Granted, they have millions of players, but that doesn't mean the system couldn't work with entropia. There also needs to be awards for participation. Not just PED, XP. If I participate in a race and get last give me something, anything. Then it would be more interesting for me and a buddy to have a 2player race. At least if he loses he gets something.

It's a good point that MA got entropia working in an engine that wasn't designed for this kinda thing. They did a good job of it too (in my opinion) which is cool.

I think there is demand for PvP. there are often people in the rings, and when PvP fort evevnts were first introduced they were popular. But when there are only 1 or 2 events a week it dies. There is a barrier on entry that needs to be removed.

I think there is certainly scope for competitions where the winner receives a prize, the problem is (still is, has always been) there is so much cheating that goes on when the prize is real money.

Plenty of people who have spent much more time in PVP4 and space can comment on the cheats that have gone on.

Trust me, I know how much fun PVP is on <yet another game> is (I did mention that I've been in the MMO world a while didnt I?) but when it's for cold hard cash, which everything is in Entropia - things are different.

Just my take / thoughts on the issue.

<removed>

" But there are rarely ever events " We here in the game have had Events 4.5 years in row nowdays the game its just events lol where have you been.. but as you say you dont play this game so much.

<removed> I think there a lot of other games that indeed have things that would improve this game. Things like space, but I'm hoping that the new updates that are coming for space will improve space.. Time will tell.. ;)

its both a great game and a great tv show

The way I see it, Entropia can't be everything to everybody. Pretty much everything the OP talked about are things I wish that MA would remove entirely. Guess neither of us are going to be completely happy.

It sounds to me like the OP has found another game that he enjoys more and still makes some interest from CLDs or whatever, so I guess things worked out for him.

When MA implements systems and nobody uses them, it's probably because nobody is interested in them.

<removed>....to the op racing sounds fun but will be a tad boring in the sense all vehicles same speed so who ever takes off first kinda wins unless there is something similar to burnout style racing where you can nos boost and knock others off track and crash them and so on....but then that would make it a game within a game...might as well stick slot machines on the walls in town.....fun idea though, as if you have bad hunting mining runs rather than quit leave go do some racing instead or if your having a bad pmt day rather than take it out on the members of the forum go do some road rage in game. If that doesnt cut it for you go call a cop a mofo and get him to tase you in your cu!!.....oh you will find peace.

I think it is a shame that there are those like the OP that stay away and just sit on their deed payouts. That said, I cannot be too critical because I do the same these days, awaiting the time when certain commodities are at a favourable price.

So what could MA do to improve the game? Well, using racing as an example, maybe the cars available in game could be customisable. Different body shapes (and so different weights), balanced with different engines (so different outputs), different suspension systems, etc. Treat it as an experiment to find the best set up - something that may change depending on what racing surface is used. Beyond the original build cost of your car, the ability to race would cost pecs of oil - perfect for blowing off a bit of steam.

It seems to me though, sadly, that MindArk are either too under-resourced or too dumb to imagine and implement such a system.

<removed>

And sorry about the confusion, I was not trying to say "entropia is boring i play this" I was trying to say "Entropia is cool, but here is my idea to make it awesome!"

I think there is certainly scope for competitions where the winner receives a prize, the problem is (still is, has always been) there is so much cheating that goes on when the prize is real money.

Yeah, it's a good point, so we would have to change the scope a little. If the goal is to have fun and the risk is real money/cheating then we simply have to minimize the risk. If it's super low (each player puts in a ped say, 40% goes to winner 30% goes to 2nd place ... 20% to 3rd place 10% to MA) then the winnings are minimal. With a 10 person race that would be 4 ped for the winner, hardly worth cheating. And if somebody does cheat they're risking their entire account for 4 ped...

But every player could get some experience for participating. Again, not much, so you could basically grind it all day and get maybe 20% of the xp (in different skills of course) would would have gotten if you hunted.

This would encourage people to buy cars, give something cheap and fun to do, not encourage cheaters, and wouldn't require any new huge system (it is really just automatically generated events on a race track)

/mod note/

Thread moved to 'Suggestions/Wishlist', and title changed.

As mentioned already there is a huge potential within EU and regarding cars (racing/driving around etc).
I would like to see a whole industry and a new Profession attached to it... Auto Mechanic. He would be able to modify cars, craft certain parts and install them. While it may sound like a game within a game, all material needed for such upgrades will come from the other professions.

The biggest challenge will be creating an environment for cars that will be worthy of... PEDS. People should have some kind of incentive on top of the fun aspect.

So what could MA do to improve the game? Well, using racing as an example, maybe the cars available in game could be customisable. Different body shapes (and so different weights), balanced with different engines (so different outputs), different suspension systems, etc. Treat it as an experiment to find the best set up - something that may change depending on what racing surface is used. Beyond the original build cost of your car, the ability to race would cost pecs of oil - perfect for blowing off a bit of steam.

Right back when the vehicles were introduced that was suggested. Make the base model UL and then add L customisations that wear out due to use. Problem is we need a healthy level of crafting which we just don't have any more if you discount the EP bp.

The biggest challenge will be creating an environment for cars that will be worthy of... PEDS.

Which to me says making an activity involving cars that is fun.

But based on the responses I've had from that idea I don't think it's for this kind of game. I guess fun races and entropia don't mix, or at least it doesn't seem to be wanted by the community..

Which to me says making an activity involving cars that is fun.
Exactly! But because of the RCE element it's not that simple. Unless you attach some PEDs to it, it's not gonna fly.

But based on the responses I've had from that idea I don't think it's for this kind of game. I guess fun races and entropia don't mix, or at least it doesn't seem to be wanted by the community..
I don't see why some drag races couldn't be organized to start with. Maybe with some items as prizes, a small entry fee and see how it goes.

Exactly! But because of the RCE element it's not that simple. Unless you attach some PEDs to it, it's not gonna fly.
It costs oil to drive. You could even have a 1ped entry fee like on regular events. Winner gets the peds. Everybody gets XP so everybody has that feeling of progression.

I don't see why some drag races couldn't be organized to start with. Maybe with some items as prizes, a small entry fee and see how it goes.
That will never work on a big scale or long term.

The reason it works in [game im not allowed to mention] is because at any time a user can click "play race" and they get matched with 1-20 other people and the race starts. It's easy. Two clicks.

If other players have to organize them it's going to be 1 race a week. We've just removed 99.9% of the potential players for races. That's the situation as it is now, races are rare. For it to be common it needs to be easy and all the time. That's why it works so well in [game i cant mention].

Back