Question: Is there a need for an external resource in regards to Maps/Locations?

Do we need an external resource for Maps/Locations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jjmatrix

Stalker
Society
SPU
JJ Ony Matrix
Hello everyone. The reason for this poll is very simple: I would like to find out if creating a new website with current geographical information for EU is something the community needs/wants. I understand that new players would benefit the most and that unfortunately. this category of players is not well represented in this forum, but I still think that the poll has value.

Creating a EU map ( a la Google) is very time consuming... if at all possible; right now I'm not sure if such effort is warranted; personally, I think it's worth it but I won't spend a lot of time on a project like this just for me. Besides, I am sure that at the end I won't need to look at any maps any more :laugh:

Other things that could be of use on a website like this: all cities, TPs, Ouposts with coordinates and services available. All land areas on Amethera with coordinates, mining, hunting and tax info. Other POIs, mob locations and anything else that we think it will make a project like this useful.

The most important thing is to vote, with or without comments.... so please do. Thanks everyone in advance for taking the time!

Reserved

Reserved for final thoughts/comments.

Would be nice if it was developed as a service though, so multiple sites could make use of the effort made in an efficient way.

Would be nice if it was developed as a service though, so multiple sites could make use of the effort made in an efficient way.

It could be; as I'll require help (I cannot possibly gather all this info by myself) it would just seem right give something back as well (on top of the actual website). Based on the responses I may get it started and since I intend to use a DB, if requested, I would make it available.
Of course, performance would be key for me so some care and thought will need to be weighed in, but I don't see a problem with having a few other sites piggybacking at this point.

Cyrene already has somethign like this ;): <click>

@edit:
and yes it would be usefull since curently the Entropedia is slowly dying and the map function is alrady not working there...

Falagor
:bandit:

Last edited:
It could be; as I'll require help (I cannot possibly gather all this info by myself) it would just seem right give something back as well (on top of the actual website). Based on the responses I may get it started and since I intend to use a DB, if requested, I would make it available.
Of course, performance would be key for me so some care and thought will need to be weighed in, but I don't see a problem with having a few other sites piggybacking at this point.

I was thinking about re-developing entropedia, I'm currently working on the DB schema currently, but it could be a case that what I do presents a list of mob,tp,area locations as either xml or a service endpoint, then your system can present an html blob that runs the map and its data?

However, this all depends on how much progress I can make on my system :D

I was thinking about re-developing entropedia, I'm currently working on the DB schema currently, but it could be a case that what I do presents a list of mob,tp,area locations as either xml or a service endpoint, then your system can present an html blob that runs the map and its data?

However, this all depends on how much progress I can make on my system :D

It will depend on the technology I'll find to render the map... but it definitely help with time and to have same data powering more systems.

I don't know if your still considering the map or not. I hope so. However; it seems in the first few posts it went from huge to intergalactic. I vote yes to the map but, I think it would be much better to get a first version out before all the other. It's easy to overwhelm yourself, especially with little end reward for you. A hunting map (something everyone could use) showing where to find each creature, is a big task in itself and would be an invaluable resource for all but those few who can remember where each creature is on the whole map. Also, if you were to make such a map, I'm sure you would find many others willing and wanting to help improve or enhance it with your other ideas.
Just my thoughts. I actually searched maps in the forum looking for what your talking about making. I wish it were already done. I'm trying to work through some Iron challenges but I don't know where the creatures are :(.
If your going to make the map, let me know and I'll help as much as I can. :clap:

useful is a huge understatement.

I got 5 on it

I was thinking of making something like this as well. Did you ever start the project? If so possibly I could help. If not I'd like to consider starting it myself.

Back