Anyone running a kaveri

TeesMaarKhan

Prowler
Society
Shaolin
Tees Maar Khan - Formerly The Crouching Tiger 2006 - 2011
Hey guys

Anyone here running a AMD Kaveri 7870K or a 7850k not with onboard GPU but a dedicated let's say r9 series or a or a nvidia 9xx series card and what's it like is there and bottle necking from the CPU side or is isit sufficient power wise thinking of building a system on a budget and not a full blown i7 and has this setup in mind

MSI A88xm gaming
16gb 2400mhz ram
And 7870k
R9 290 or 285
And some ssd

What you guys say?

Regards
Tees

I'm an nVidia kinda guy, so no help on the AMD front from me.

One thing I would recommend is to have your games on a raid striped set of ultra fast SSDs. If you can stretch to it, I would (and wish I did myself) is have a raid stripe for my system drive and a raid stripe for my games drive.

This setup makes full use of the latest SATA connectivity, but check to make sure you get all devices that support the latest SATA standard. Having it set up this way means that whenever you play games, your load times are minimised but also, any system activities (e.g. windows random stuff) will not hinder your load times. Which are particularly pertinent in games that dynamically load resources from the disk as and when needed.

I would also make sure your getting the latest spec DDR ram (unless there has been a new standard in the last year or so in which case disregard!) and just hit that with a hammer, put as much in a you can possibly manage.

On the processor front, I've seen some debate on whether going i5 or i7 is the best way, so I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people. I went for an i7 Extreme, which is really nice, and I leave it vanilla (unclocked.)

I went (when I did the build 2+ years ago) the GTX 690, which is effectively two cards in one, and it is still going strong. If I hit full quality within EU it doesn't really blink, unless I wang the terrain detail to maximum (or when I'm recording videos!)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for reply.... I've had plenty playing around with 8 core amd and i7s in crossfire and worked perfectly just never had a play with this new apu kaveri so was curiouse to known if their might be any bottlenecking if I use high end graphics in crossfire mode or not.....

The problem with computers is once you fixed one bottle neck, the problem goes to the next step :).

Entropia Universe is known for being CPU hungry, its the nature of the game really.

I run a straight kaveri 7850k with 8gb mem and run this game on high settings with smooth animation and no lag but I will probably upgrade to r9 in the near future or the r7 depending on how much I can stretch my budget. The entire system cost me around 600usd with everything and I am pretty happy with it.

i would propose that you go with an nvidia card instead. From my experience, my GTX 770 runs EU way smoother than my r9 280x ever did, just my 2 cents

i would propose that you go with an nvidia card instead. From my experience, my GTX 770 runs EU way smoother than my r9 280x ever did, just my 2 cents

Wasn't it that the Cry stuff is all "Better on nVidia" branded?

Good stuff I can always choose nvidia....was just concerned more about the handling ability if the CPU....I guess its all go. Thx guys

Regards
Tees

Thanks I will take that in to consideration when I start shopping.

My suggestion is that if you are going to run a dedicated video card anyway you might as well stay away from the APU. IMO they are better suited for a basic system tho they do have better GPU performance than the Intel integrated GPU.

My suggestion is that if you are going to run a dedicated video card anyway you might as well stay away from the APU. IMO they are better suited for a basic system tho they do have better GPU performance than the Intel integrated GPU.

I agree after doing a little further research I came across a 860k amd which is same as above CPU but without the integrated gpu...so this might be a better bet

I agree after doing a little further research I came across a 860k amd which is same as above CPU but without the integrated gpu...so this might be a better bet
I'm curios at what price your aiming at for the CPU. :)

Go 8g ram (I seriously don't know why people go 16 when so few of them actually need it) and spend the extra dollars elsewhere

Go 8g ram (I seriously don't know why people go 16 when so few of them actually need it) and spend the extra dollars elsewhere

Understandable but I've read a few reports of people having better fps and handling during migration lag and so on when using 16gb aka more than 8gb

Back