Help: GFX Glitch, any ideas?

Pauhe Gunor

Stalker
Society
Hunters Unlimited
Pauhe Cybertrash Gunor
I have an annoying graphical glitch that i cant seem to fix, anyone got any ideas...

This problem happens on all games, this is not a GFX Card hardware problem as i have tried another card, rolled back drivers, reinstalled latest drives, removed drivers and reinstalled them, updated bios, removed all overclocking.

The temperatures are fine, nothing abnormal on the monitoring. am i overlooking something?

gfx_glitch_407594.jpg

I will try get a better screenshot of the glitch, the blocks flash in random locations sometimes covering large areas.

Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (OC 4.8GHz)
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 Memory
R9 280X OC
250 GB Agility 3
2 TB HARD DRIVE 7200 RPM
Microsoft Windows 8.1 PRO

Tests done
memtest86 - Passed
BurninTest - Passed
OCCT - Passed
Prime 95 - Passed

Last edited:
If you've been overclocking your graphic card, I think you may possibly be looking at buying a new one.

Just a gut instinct on that pic that isnt a clickable thumbnail (at time of posting).

I always say Run 3dmark (whichever version you can download for free these days) and see if that shows up errors in these situations.

Seems to me faulty memory module. you can google for Memtest so you can run diagnostic or you can download ISO file of ultimatebootcd (ultimatebootcd.com) and run diagnostics of several parts of your computer

Alternative solution to Memtest (which is a good program, I've used it myself) is using Prime 95.

Stress tests memory and the CPU.

Something to try after Memtest, if RAM seems to be good.

ah thanks forgot about memtest, yeah it was just a segment of a screenshot as it was not the glitch in EU, managed to take a picture of the glitch in EU, had to use camera though as SS would not capture it.

The GFX was not overclocked just the CPU, GFX is the Dual x OC Version.

Thanks for the help :)

ah thanks forgot about memtest, yeah it was just a segment of a screenshot as it was not the glitch in EU, managed to take a picture of the glitch in EU, had to use camera though as SS would not capture it.

The GFX was not overclocked just the CPU, GFX is the Dual x OC Version.

Thanks for the help :)

CPU probably toasted then.

The candle that burns twice as bright only burns half as long Paul. :(

Simple to replace, at least.

Seems to me faulty memory module. you can google for Memtest so you can run diagnostic or you can download ISO file of ultimatebootcd (ultimatebootcd.com) and run diagnostics of several parts of your computer

a failing memory module on GFX card will give you extreme lag both in game and out,(I had this happen this week)

I had a similar looking thing though and it turned out to be a dodgy cable,just a thought.

Last edited:
More like failing or overheated GFX memory, not the onboard RAM.

CPU probably toasted then.

Fried cpu? i should be getting a lot more issues if it was fried than random gfx glitches?

this cpu is only 4 month old and is built for overclocking

Just to make sure i'm reading this correctly. you have swapped out the cfx card for a different one and it still has the issue?

I had something similar on my AMD 555BE when I was running the ACC core unlocker utility. Once I shut off the extra 2 cores and went back to just the dual core config that the CPU was supposed to be all was fine. I doubt that is the issue here tho since you are running an Intel CPU that doesn't have more than 4 total physical cores but does the I7-4970k support hyper threading? Maybe a problem with that?

Theres a program called BurnIn Test you might want to run and it should point to where the issue is.

I've only seen graphic errors like that once before, and that was when I bought a faulty graphic card, sent it back for replacement.

I never overclock. I know people enjoy doing so, so if something gone wrong that way, hard for me to judge.

If it looks like that with 2 different graphic cards, then its not the graphic card. Its a process of elimination.

3dmark

Memtest
Prime 95

HDMI cable isnt a bit loose by any chance? Try wiggling it a bit. :eyecrazy:

Last edited:
As your card is 4 month old, try doing a RMA from where you purchased it. I also had a Gigabyte card from mid 2008 to fall 2009. Eu toasted it with the silly framerate upon login at this time. Had some artefacts but not the same as you showed. It was a GTX280, i sent them back and they resent me a gtx460SOC for free cause they didn't produced 280 any more.
Gl

I have an annoying graphical glitch that i cant seem to fix, anyone got any ideas...

This problem happens on all games, this is not a GFX Card hardware problem as i have tried another card, rolled back drivers, reinstalled latest drives, removed drivers and reinstalled them, updated bios, removed all overclocking.

The temperatures are fine, nothing abnormal on the monitoring. am i overlooking something?

gfx_glitch_407594.jpg

I will try get a better screenshot of the glitch, the blocks flash in random locations sometimes covering large areas.

Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (OC 4.8GHz)
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 Memory
R9 280X OC
250 GB Agility 3
2 TB HARD DRIVE 7200 RPM
Microsoft Windows 8.1 PRO

i know this problem, is because new generation r9 graphic card with updated bios.

all has same problems with dx9 , updating newest drivers does not helped for our customers. But only seen on dx9 games.

so problem is incompability of new r9 2xx and dx9

older r9 280x and 290x does not had this glich bug, olny new versions have so i dont know really if it good idea to downgrade your vga bios, better return it and buy a nvidia product

Lots of good advice here for the OP, I hope he gets it resolved soon.

To anyone thinking about building an OC Gameing PC, there are several distributors in the UK that sell pre-tested MoBo/CPU/Memory packages that remove the risk that is inherent in the OverClock. I use an OC i5 @4.2Ghz and it runs rock solid. PM me if you would like a name.

Dirk

Theres a program called BurnIn Test you might want to run and it should point to where the issue is.

Test Passed & memtest86 passed

More like failing or overheated GFX memory, not the onboard RAM.

The same issue happens on 2 different identical gfx cards

but does the I7-4970k support hyper threading? Maybe a problem with that?

Yes it has Hyper-threading 4 cores 8 threads

This problem has only been around for a month or so, no new hardware added recently.

Yes, I saw it in the OP but the symptoms still are quite apparent. Did you try the gfx cards in other pci-e slots, if your MB allows that? Could be something wrong with the circuitry that works that pci-e slot, or with the whole northbridge if it's same in all slots, that makes the gfx memory seem faulty even while it's not.

On the other hand, try the OCCT, it stresses a wider selection of hardware than Prime95, and if yours will pass it for, say, half a hour - you probably can safely rule out any hardware problems. Then perhaps ktpsmf is on to something and it's a tricky software conflict (that reminds me why I stay as far as possible from AMD/ATI's contraptions :silly2:).

If the issue wasn't fixed by changing gfx cards, then I'd suggest checking either your monitor and/or cable.

In fairness, this wasn't my idea. This was discussed in soc chat. Someone figured the monitor and I added the wiring as a possibility.

Reactions: jod
Test Passed & memtest86 passed

Yes it has Hyper-threading 4 cores 8 threads

This problem has only been around for a month or so, no new hardware added recently.

Prime 95 time.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

Run the "Torture Test" which tests the CPU and the Memory.

Test does need to run for a few hours ideally, but can fail much sooner than that if there is an issue.

So an update...

I have done all the tests everyone has recommended and all have passed with no errors.

I have also done a complete format, disconnected everything cables, hardware and changed the gfx card slot, changed the HDMI cables.

Not had time to run any game tests yet, will check later tonight.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice :)

Try hooking it up to a different monitor to eliminate that possibility?

Try hooking it up to a different monitor to eliminate that possibility?

Its running on dual monitor.

so far the issue is still here, cant seem to find the root problem of it :mad:

I think this issue may be resolved, The GPU Memory Clock was being throttled at a constant 1500 MHz and someone somewhere mentioned changing the Refresh rate so i dropped both monitor outputs to 59 Hertz and the Clock instantly throttled down.

Hopefully this has been fixed just trying to test it as the artifacts were a little unpredictable...

Back