Info: Auction Update

S4400Salvation

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Shaman 4400 Salvation
I noticed a post today regarding a bid made that was due to human error, then found another and wondering how many more to come before some changes are made.

I know all sales are final but human error happens more often then u think, why would u continue to have a participant in stress?

So i suggest adding some extra measures before a person makes his final bid on Auction, i can think of a few.

About time to have the Auction get a update.

I noticed a post today regarding a bid made that was due to human error, then found another and wondering how many more to come before some changes are made.

I know all sales are final but human error happens more often then u think, why would u continue to have a participant in stress?

So i suggest adding some extra measures before a person makes his final bid on Auction, i can think of a few.

About time to have the Auction get a update.

It is not fair to say there haven't been improvements to auction over the years, there have, and the warnings even might be in red (not sure on that) but I have to be honest, if it is still possible to bid $3487 for a $2 item by a player who has been here over 10 years, then the auction system remains more dangerous than any mob in game.

It should not be possible to bid your entire ped balance ever.

(And probably best not to disagree or Taco will find your post from the past when it happens to you!)

Hope you get something sorted sbi!

It should not be possible to bid your entire ped balance ever.

Pretty often, I'm broke:ish, and I need to buy something from auction (let's say mind essence). So I TT the ammo I have, go to auctioneer, still not enough, I see I need Another 1.5 ped, so I go back to storage, split 1.5 ped off animal hide stack, TT it, visit auctioneer, do the buyout, and after that I have 0.02 PED left on card.

(Ok, not 100% of card balance, but as Close I can get without TTing too much.)

Pretty often, I'm broke:ish, and I need to buy something from auction (let's say mind essence). So I TT the ammo I have, go to auctioneer, still not enough, I see I need Another 1.5 ped, so I go back to storage, split 1.5 ped off animal hide stack, TT it, visit auctioneer, do the buyout, and after that I have 0.02 PED left on card.

(Ok, not 100% of card balance, but as Close I can get without TTing too much.)

Yeah fair enough, ok so how do I re-word the quoted sentence so these these situations dont happen to people?

I'm quite interested in knowing what these extra measures are that you are thinking of.

Dont fix something that aint broken. In real life you have no one else to blame when you go to auction and bid 10k usd for 5usd vase. Maybe only change order system where seller gets highest possible price not vice versa. So if order is 1400ped per CLD then if you try to sell your cld at 5peds each, you still get 1400 each, as thats what the buyer is ready to pay. Right now few ppl order CLDs always highest price and sell em lower, because they are not aiming for few ped profit, but auction order mistakes.

Last edited:
You don't even need a very complex system either, even a message "Hey bud, you are about to bid your whole pedcard. You sure bro?" would wipe out half if not more of these auction mistakes.

That's 1 minute of toddler level programming.

From there you can start doing more complex checks or whatever.

I think auction should:

not accept bids more or less than xx% than current mu (i just copy past about trading halt from wiky: trading pauses", which are defined as, under NASDAQ, "if a security is subject to a Trading Pause, the Pause Threshold Price field will contain the reference threshold price that deviates 10% from a print on the Consolidated Tape that is last sale eligible as compared to every print in that security on a rolling five (5) minute basis")

this is a symple way to save us from bid mistakes and market manipulations.

New items should be regulated in different way, pheraps with an alert message in which is write how much more than current mu u are bidding.

I'm quite interested in knowing what these extra measures are that you are thinking of.

Some extra message like you are about to bid entire ped card, or you are about to bid on something with 50k mark, one easy one should be the implementation of gc with auction, little more effort from participants but will save allot of headaches in the end.

Dont fix something that aint broken. In real life you have no one else to blame when you go to auction and bid 10k usd for 5usd vase. Maybe only change order system where seller gets highest possible price not vice versa. So if order is 1400ped per CLD then if you try to sell your cld at 5peds each, you still get 1400 each, as thats what the buyer is ready to pay. Right now few ppl order CLDs always highest price and sell em lower, because they are not aiming for few ped profit, but auction order mistakes.

Some people might not do it intentionally put stuff without BO, but some do for sure, hence i am asking for this Auction update, it's preying on the misfortunate, we all have different states of mind.

To clarify my own misfortune... I was tired, just wanting to get one last craft with a new bp done before bedtime. The bp required oil. I went to auction, looked a bit around, sorted items... thought in my hurry I selected an oilstack with BO. Clicked it, didn't read the confirmation page well (seen it plenty of times, and hey I knew what I was doing right?) and mistake was made.

So tired + habits + no BO = disaster. Tthis combination might not occur and trigger very often but when it does it is devastating. I currently consider selling out again for good (after just returning to the game after long break).

As I see it it would be very easy to fix this... The system should check if the bid made by the buyer differs radically from the average MU on the item. If this is the case a 3rd warning screen (and not often seen screen = no habit getting used to it) should pop up and say... 'hey, are you sure?'. That would have caught my attention.

I'm thinking,

Perhaps just making the bid manual might be enough?

Mistakes like the one above happens because people click the leftmost arrow to bid BO. If you had to click the second arrow twice and third one three times to make a bid of 320 ped.

If MindArk is allowed to make mistakes without concequences, like the CLD sale, then i don't know why participants can't get the same treatment, human failure is human nature.

you don't even need a very complex system either, even a message "hey bud, you are about to bid your whole pedcard. You sure bro?" would wipe out half if not more of these auction mistakes.

That's 1 minute of toddler level programming.

From there you can start doing more complex checks or whatever.

there is this message already

VU 11.7.0
Added a warning if you bid more than 95% of your PED balance.

Last edited:
I am not entirely sure what can be done to avoid issues like this; even if let's say you get a last big, red, bold letters message box saying something like "You are bidding xxxx PED for Item abc; are you sure?" might not help. The simple reason is that the Auction process for those who use it a lot ceases to be of importance, and because of the habit and the fact that 99.99% you're correct you may just go with the flow and click on the messages without reading them.

It's a difficult issue to fix; that being said I'd definitely like to see them come with a smart idea to at least make it a lot more difficult to make mistakes.

I am not entirely sure what can be done to avoid issues like this; even if let's say you get a last big, red, bold letters message box saying something like "You are bidding xxxx PED for Item abc; are you sure?" might not help. The simple reason is that the Auction process for those who use it a lot ceases to be of importance, and because of the habit and the fact that 99.99% you're correct you may just go with the flow and click on the messages without reading them.

It's a difficult issue to fix; that being said I'd definitely like to see them come with a smart idea to at least make it a lot more difficult to make mistakes.

Adding something new to grab the participants attention might help, i still suggest a gc check, enable/disable option, just so we have a extra layer or protection, someone having to use the gc to put up a auction will definetly put more effort into it, just because it requires more of you to do.

If you ask me, they only need to do one simple thing.

Remove the arrow's ability to bid your whole ped card.

Force players to have to key in or click the proper arrows to the exact amount that they want to bid.

Else, implement some cooldown period whereby players can withdraw bids made on a mistake within say 1 minute?

But anyhow....DO SOMETHING PLEASE!!!!

Your (MA) inactions are driving people out of the game....people we need...to sustain this game.

PS: Word of warning to those whom have a lot of peds on their PED card. Remove most of them and put them in the storage. Only insert them into the ped card when you need them...and only for the amount that you need. This will prevent you from accidentally bidding your entire in-game asset into some lousy P.O.S.

And also when selling something that's very valuable or high mu with very low TT. Please double or even triple check yourself before you ever click the accept button. The amount of money that you will get for an auction sale has always been PED for PED indicated. Regardless of whether its stackable or not, in MU% or TT+MU.

Last edited:
It's a bug in the up arrows. They should never do what they do. This is a pure fail in the auction interface.

There should be a button there for auctions with a buyout. For bid auctions, it should automatically enter the next higher bid and you can adjust the bid manually with arrows if you desire.

The up arrows should NEVER bid your whole ped card, extra warnings are NOT necessary and are NOT the solution to this problem.

It's a bug in the up arrows. They should never do what they do. This is a pure fail in the auction interface.

There should be a button there for auctions with a buyout. For bid auctions, it should automatically enter the next higher bid and you can adjust the bid manually with arrows if you desire.

The up arrows should NEVER bid your whole ped card, extra warnings are NOT necessary and are NOT the solution to this problem.

The arrows behave the same way in 'split stack' dialog and construction terminal interface, so I assume it's just their default behavior - which of course isn't OK in the auction.

The only solution I can think of at the moment would be to disable all but rightmost arrows and enable them after the lower register has been clicked - tens are enabled after you've clicked on ones, hundreds after you've clicked on tens, etc. It would take four clicks to bid a thousand (or more likely, 1111), in which time even a sleepy user would realize what they're doing.

The arrows behave the same way in 'split stack' dialog and construction terminal interface, so I assume it's just their default behavior - which of course isn't OK in the auction.

The only solution I can think of at the moment would be to disable all but rightmost arrows and enable them after the lower register has been clicked - tens are enabled after you've clicked on ones, hundreds after you've clicked on tens, etc. It would take four clicks to bid a thousand (or more likely, 1111), in which time even a sleepy user would realize what they're doing.

That indeed would be a good fix.

Skeptic got a good point here, it might be inconvincing but it if you had to enter your bid manually and not just clicking the first arrow to put in the bo or your max ped card accidents like this would be more seldom. That still dosn't fix the mistake to sell 12 cld's for 1600 ped but its a start.

just give us 3 minutes to remove our bid and let auction not end at least 10 minutes after last bid

a free market is a free market and there should not be any warnings or "your bidding your entire wallet".

BE on your guard, ill bet your on your guard when going to a store and open your wallet?

Place a bid off 5000$ on a stupid chair at real worlds auction, and guess what you will be forced to pay for it at the end?

Use your brain, and if you do fail then its your problem.

MA is not here to think for you nor is MA here to save your ass every time you play drunk!

Its RCE and if it comes to real cash, everybody should be aware of the risks, speak cost of mistakes you do!

Place a bid off 5000$ on a stupid chair at real worlds auction, and guess what you will be forced to pay for it at the end?

Use your brain, and if you do fail then its your problem.

MA is not here to think for you nor is MA here to save your ass every time you play drunk!

Its RCE and if it comes to real cash, everybody should be aware of the risks, speak cost of mistakes you do!

You clearly are joking, a decent person would reverse a transaction like that made in game, and everybody is aware of the risks while using auction but to sum up all the mistakes due alcohol is too funny.

Maybe use a few extra brain cells too?

ps. not asking for any redemption from MA after a mistake is made, asking them to update the current auction system.

just give us 3 minutes to remove our bid and let auction not end at least 10 minutes after last bid

If time is increased to 10 minutes, it would make the people who do +1 ped bidding happy... or well, the owner(s) of the dedicated auction alts. And having a friend overbid would be "safe" as the bid could always be retracted.

Suggestion:
Remove the arrow interface and instead let the bidder type in the amount he wants to offer. If amount is greater than balance on PED card or less than current bid (when window was opened) grey out the OK button. In the window write out with clear numbers the current bid (and the %) and the buyout (with %) so the buyer knows what to type.

Removing the ability to "max" amount using arrows on offers without BO would be a nice and quick solution; but the problem would be the offers that have a lol buyout (ie 11111 for 1 ped of oil) - they're not common but it would just be a matter of time until someone makes a mistake on those.

Back