Question: Ready to try my luck at mining.

sirchadwick

Provider
Society
Benevolence
Sylva Kyra Minor
Okay folks I have been strictly hunting since I started playing since January. While it's been a blast I really don't think I can survive on one profesion. I have been wanting to try mining but it has seemed an overwhelming thing to get started in. But here I am I have 300 ped max to throw at this and I have an f-101 and a simple ul excavator not sure which one. Anyway just wondering if anyone out there would be kind enough to give me some tips or am I just wasting my time. By the way, I have no skills but hey u have to start somewhere right. Thanks for any help as I would greatly appreciate it:yay:

First off go to mininglog.com and download LBML then watch all the tutorial videos on there and sign up for the forum. The forum is not all that active, but its still a good place to post any questions that you might have.

Secondly, 300 ped is not much of a starting budget, but its enough to get started with to try it out and see if mining is something that you want to invest time and peds in.

Tip - 300 ped is ok if you cycle them with rookie finder. 0,5 - 1 ped per throw is out of your league for now.

Thanks for the good info. Did not want to roam the countryside hoping for big claims or chasing ath's. That being said, would you suggest I just drag a few probes with to drop while I am out hunting. Just trying to think of ways to keep the peds cycling as it is now hunting is not always positive.

Thanks for the good info. Did not want to roam the countryside hoping for big claims or chasing ath's. That being said, would you suggest I just drag a few probes with to drop while I am out hunting. Just trying to think of ways to keep the peds cycling as it is now hunting is not always positive.

Hunting is rarely positive, its pretty much a ped sink :) People do it for fun and hope for a global or the ever elusive ATH :)

Dropping a few probes while out hunting though is a good idea but use the rookie finder until you get the F101 maxed. Full time miners usually recommend a bankroll of 1 - 2K peds to start mining full time if you don't want to go broke after the first two or three runs, but if you use the rookie finder, which uses only a 10th of the probes that regular finders do, your 200 - 300 peds will represent an adequate bankroll for training purposes. You probably won't find much in the way of large claims with it, but it is possible that you will do so.

Mining, like most other things in this game, is a game of averages. You can profit at mining if you have enough capital to begin with to see you through the periods of poor returns, and you must also have a good and updated knowledge of resource prices so that you can maximize your sale returns by concentrating on areas that have the higher MU resources. The map on the mininglog site is particularly useful for this as it is the most up to date map available.

Another website I'd point you at is www.greenleafmining.com. Neil runs a profit share mining business on Arkadia and he has some good how to information on his website which is well worth looking at.

Hi,

Here are some tips:

1. Use rookie gear to learn the mechanics, and find out if you actually like doing it. It is not worth wasting time on something, if you actually don't enjoy the process. 300 ped will last, and even if they all go down, you won't agonize yourself over losing your ass off in an activity you don't even like that much.

2. Budget is the king for mining. Couple hundred will be fine for unamped, and playing at the low level. You will need thousands for amped mining. Liquidity is king.

3. Gear is not really important, esp. in the beginning. You don't really need a 10k ped extractor, if you don't extract 10k+ ped of ores per day.

4. Get familiar with the market, and get familiar with the geography.

5. Flying vehicle helps tremendously, to deaggro mobs, and accelerate mining process on the planets.

Cheers!

Mining is probably the best way for new players to start. Make sure you read the mining guides, and here's a few tips:

1. Outdoor mining generally maintains a 33% hit rate. If you are way below that you are either mining in an area above your level or your equipment is too low for you, even though SIB is activated.

2. To check your equipment, take the max depth and your actual depth (to the left) should be about 80% of the max. Drops per minute should be maxxed.

3. Find a relatively flat area and use "p" to mark off 110 meters. Run that several times to get an accurate time in seconds. This is the minimum distance between drops.

4. Many people think that dropping entmatter only saves money. It does not. The reason is that the average entmatter find is II-III, while the average ore find is IV-V. The average entmatter find is not half the average ore find.

5. DO NOT: use amps, go to pvp areas, use enhancers, go to an indoor area, or double bomb, at least until you are more experienced. In general, level 10 makes you a beginner, level 20 makes you a high beginner.

6. Try to get a vehicle. Not only does this make the drops faster, but it also protects you from wandering monsters. Flying vehicles will instantly stop monsters from chasing you, except flying monsters.

7. Read mining guides.

8. You do not need to keep upgrading finders after you have maxxed one. One way to upgrade is: TT finder, F-101, F-102, F-103, F-105, then the F-105 forever. Deeper finders just mean rarer finds, not bigger finds. In mining, size matters. Because markup on rares is so bad, you must be able to find large commons, not small rares. (note: the F-104 is hard to get because it requires dunkel to be crafted. Just skip it and go from the 103 to the 105.)

9. Stick to the TT extractor. If your planet only has L finders, bring 2.

10. Don't refine your ores/ents until you can afford a T-104. Usually, your finds will be so small holding them for auction is unrealistic. Don't save anything for auction unless MU is 110% or higher, as you can sell stacks of 50 ped or so and still beat the fees. At 105% or lower, you need stacks of 100 ped to make a profit.

Back