Dealing With Problems In This Forum

Tuhin

Mature
Society
Boss (Rig Klozas)
Tuhin Subhro Sarder
I lately replied to a topic that interested me and a dude down voted my "Reputation Points" saying "Why u necro 9 years old threads??"...I didn't get it...before somedays I replied to an old TOpic and again the same thing. So the question is are we not even allowed to reply to Topics that interest us?

I lately replied to a topic that interested me and a dude down voted my "Reputation Points" saying "Why u necro 9 years old threads??"...I didn't get it...before somedays I replied to an old TOpic and again the same thing. So the question is are we not even allowed to reply to Topics that interest us?

Whilst searching on a topic on the forum for a subject you were interested in, you accidentally bumped up an old thread.

Sometimes old threads are left to die and will never be resurrected :revive:

I dont know which thread you posted in that was a dead thread and you posted in, but I've got a feeling the negative reputation damage has been restored.

As a new user, I'd just ask to check how long ago the last post was, an old timer like me would remember when the post was new. :)

If you find a topic that interests you in an old thread, its better to start a new one on that subject than to post on the old one. If necessary, you can link back to the old thread if there's something in it that's relevant to your new post.

There is a link to the rules at the bottom of every page of the forum.

However, this is one of the forum rules:
3.5 - Necroposting
Pointlessly bumping of dormant, inactive threads causes confusion for other members and visitors who may not notice the original thread post date. A thread is considered inactive if there have been no replies in the last four (4) months. Posting in an inactive thread is strongly discouraged, unless there is a very good reason for reactivating the thread. If you feel an issue or topic from an inactive thread deserves renewed discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum or subforum.

Very often a necro'd thread refers to issues that have since been resolved - or indeed to game mechanics or features that have been significantly changed since the topic was originally raised. Dormant threads that have been necroposted will generally be closed to prevent further confusion.

If, however, the issue is still current and relevant and you feel it needs further discussion, you should create a new thread in the appropriate section.

Please note (and this goes for everyone!) - not every thread should be created in the 'General Discussion' section so that a mod (ie me!) then has to move it for you. :wise:

If an old thread, contains vital information and is still up to date, why not just necro it, instead creating a new one?

Its better for those people that actually use the search function to find only one or two threads to one subject instead finding 30-40 as the same issue has been discussed again and again over the years, while nothing happened :)

Just my thoughts!

If an old thread, contains vital information and is still up to date, why not just necro it, instead creating a new one?

Its better for those people that actually use the search function to find only one or two threads to one subject instead finding 30-40 as the same issue has been discussed again and again over the years, while nothing happened :)

Just my thoughts!

I am sure it really comes down to the reason it was necro'd.

Posting in an old thread, something like......"Does this still apply, as i was looking to get one." Would not be considered bad.

Pinch of salt and common sense i think on this topic......i hope.

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:
I'll be nice.

Last edited:
this is petty issue on many forums. if you necro or bounce a few week old thread you get criticised, if you start a new thread on a well worn subject you get criticised. EF isnt too bad on the latter though.

on the necro, the threads arent locked after time, so they are fair game to reply to. also if the search isnt pulling back threads time ordered, then again seems unfair to complain if older ones are bounced.

It's really not that difficult to work within the forum rules.

A lot of other forum auto-lock threads that haven't been updated in a few months. Here it is left up to common sense, which can be good or bad.

Do not revive an old thread unless you know that it is still truly relevant. And it wouldn't hurt at all if you were to start your necro post with something like, "I know this is an old issue, but..." or "Necro Alert". That way, we don't end up ten posts deep into a necro'd thread before people calm down and notice that they are responding to posts made by someone who chipped out and quit 3 years ago.

Random negative reputation comments might be the result of your previous behavior and not necessarily tied to the post which the reputation comment was associated with.

It was me who neg repped him.
I do it very rarely and neg repped only handful of people in my 6 years here.

He necroed thread after 9 years since last post... just to say:

yeah we want it...children shouldn't play the game Anyway

then he necroed another thread after 5 years just to correct somebody's spelling:

It's Sollomate Opalo

Yeah, I'm a bad person for neg repping him :)

Lol, i stand by what i said above!!!!!

:cool:

Rgds

Ace

Thanks friends. Next time I will open a new topic instead.

Back