Nudity, violence & gore in video games

Sure, lets break it down for you.

So you don't like the idea of vixens as a pet, thus it creates a shitty image for the whole game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

You, and "your kind" should stop eating what media offers and start thinking for yourselves for a moment, it's not that hard, it requires a brain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Second, you can't make a broad audience for the game because most of the "broad audience" is let's say.... incapable of grasping how an RCEMMO should be played, end up in losing tons, which only leads to even more negative reviews. It has and is happening. Also it would mean we should ban all those almost nude outfits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_reasoning

So basically you picked up some radom links (probably from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies). Is that it? You either didn't understand anything I said, either don't want to understand.

So basically you picked up some radom links (probably from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies). Is that it? You either didn't understand anything I said, either don't want to understand.

No. I pointed out why your post was useless. If you can't figure it out with those links, I'll explain it to you:

So you don't like the idea of vixens as a pet, thus it creates a shitty image for the whole game.

I did not say this, you made that up.

You, and "your kind" should stop eating what media offers and start thinking for yourselves for a moment, it's not that hard, it requires a brain.

What's my kind!? What the fuck is my kind!?

Media!? What the fuck does media have to do with anything!? Here you go call me an idiot: "Boooooooo you believe everything you here". From what did you draw that conclusion!? From me stating that I am well aware about the general consensus of said topics?

Second, you can't make a broad audience for the game because most of the "broad audience" is let's say.... incapable of grasping how an RCEMMO should be played, end up in losing tons, which only leads to even more negative reviews. It has and is happening. Also it would mean we should ban all those almost nude outfits.

I said as broad of an audience as possible. What the fuck does naked avatars have to do with anything!?

Seeeeee!?

I asked for someone to come back at my points on how the game would be percieved, but what do I get!? You make some shit up and argue against!?

Edit: I am upset and behave like a baby at the moment, because I would like to see a proper discussion on the topic, rather than the i-dunno--what that is going on at the moment.

Last edited:
entertainment

Video games are for entertainment no ? So leave the real world behind and escape.

Yes it is not the real world in a video game so if you can't distinguish between the two then do not play them.
Same goes with entertainment : if you can't tell the difference between entertainment and real life then forget entertainment.

Movies, books, video games, games, music,etc..etc.. are for entertainment. And yes some forms of entertainment do include nudity, violence and gore.

If you don't like entertainment then forget entertainment. simple :yay:

Last edited:
Video games are for entertainment no ? So leave the real world behind and escape.

Yes it is not the real world in a video game so if you can't distinguish between the two then do not play them.
Same goes with entertainment : if you can't tell the difference between entertainment and real life then forget entertainment.

Movies, books, video games, games, music,etc..etc.. are for entertainment. And yes some forms of entertainment do include nudity, violence and gore.

If you don't like entertainment then forget entertainment. simple :yay:

It would be such a wonderful state of affairs if the majority of people were able to make the distinction from what is appropriate, and what is influencing their lives.

The sad fact is though that although many possess this capability, many do not. This isn't merely saying " I saw someone shoot someone in a video game, so now I go shoot people".
It is a continual barrage of a certain principle, idea and concept which motivates and influences pliable minds into certain behavoiurs which could have otherwise been avoided.

Well, I didn't, and nobody gave even a second to give me a proper response to my arguments. Instead, I get shit arguments thrown at me "GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHAAAAA NUDE FEMALE AVA", "Ghghghghghhghghghghghghgh robot" and whatnot.

Frankly.

While I do care about equality across the full spectrum IRL, that is not my main concern in this game. My main concern is that I want EU to stay healthy. My main concern is that I've got somewhere aroune $10,000 dollars in here, because I believe in the concept, and want to see it grow.

2.My concern is, that, all this crap creates a shit image for the game. We are moving further and further away from what EU is. And I understand that both MA as well as the players will need to adapt.

However, as you can see by the responses in here, not all are very fond of the idea. The PC bullshit you throw at me for questioning stupid shit like the bong and the vixens is quite misguided. I know what the general consensus is on these topics, and I want the game to move in a direction where as many as possible can step inside without going "uuuuuuuuuhhhh". Hence, I'd like to promote what I believe would be accepted by the broadest possible audience. With other words: Generally accepted = Politically correct.

Don't we want to create a game where the target audience is as broad as possible? Sure, let's have planets like RT that are hollywood style, but let's try to keep it a tad under control. Those like you who enjoy the concept can go there, those like me who don't enjoy most of it (Except I must admit i like motorheads and kong) can stay out of there. Both will be happy.

1.The tameable vixen is a stupid idea from start (Out of a PR POV). Sure, let ND have it, but because of its nature and the general opinion it might be a good idea to have it isolated. In fact, having it isolated will further promote the badass-attitude that he wants RT to associate with.

Letting ND run loco on RT might be a good business idea. Letting him do so across the whole universe is definately a bad one.

And your convo doesn't say much; Individuals differ and handle trauma in different ways. I also talked to someone who had been sexually abused today. She was excited that the vixen is being banned on all the other planets.

Edit: Another concern I should have is my spelling it seems.

1. into 2.

Your kind is the herd that eats what media (in all ways) offers.

From me stating that I am well aware about the general consensus of said topics?
Yes, if you don't agree with that you wouldn't have said it... ("I want the game to move in a direction where as many as possible can step inside without going "uuuuuuuuuhhhh"")

I said as broad of an audience as possible. What the fuck does naked avatars have to do with anything!?
As broad as possible =/= "broadest possible audience" and IMO we don't need the broadest possible audience, WOW is for that, plus, like I said, I don't think that's possible to achieve due to the RCE thing.

Naked avatars exist for a long time in the game and haven't seen any complaints yet (you know... objectifying females...).

Hope you get it now at least.

What I don't understand is why people bitch because MA isn't doing enough to bring more people into the Entropia virtual world. And then people bitch because some planet partners don't want to allow things that a large portion of the population would find troubling.

I don't have any problem with Rocktropia being the red light district of the Entropia Universe. I think people are pretty well aware of what to expect when they go there. It's really not an issue.

But, as far as your whole "safety valve" argument goes, I really do not think it passes the sniff test. I suspect that what these sorts of things really do is allow frustrations and resentments that should have been dealt with, to fester and remain hidden. Seriously, if you need to go to a special room to beat the hell out of a doll that looks like your boss, shouldn't you maybe want to rethink your life choices? Even if there is some comic relief to a company setting up a room for that, it is a far cry from the argument that video games serve the same function.

I think it is more likely that some content in computer games encourages a certain segment of the population to believe that things portrayed in the game are acceptable behavior. Obviously, I'm not talking about people who are as well adjusted as you and I. If you don't see my point, take a look at some of the posts regarding the inability to export stripper slaves to other planets. Most of them are just people expressing an opinion, but a few of them are frothing-at-the-mouth crazy. Think about what those people must be like IRL, then tell me that it is all just a healthy release.

For the past few years, the gaming industry news has been full of stories about the extreme misogyny and harassment of female developers by a troublingly significant portion of the gaming community. I simply do not feel the need to feed that mentality. I think that there is a huge difference between being a crusader for political correctness, and being someone who has very little patience for pubescent ass clowns.

Anyone who would consider me to be politically correct or holier-than-thou, either has a tragic misunderstanding of those terms, or has been completely absent from this forum for the past nine years.

1. into 2.

Your kind is the herd that eats what media (in all ways) offers.

Yes, if you don't agree with that you wouldn't have said it... ("I want the game to move in a direction where as many as possible can step inside without going "uuuuuuuuuhhhh"")

As broad as possible =/= "broadest possible audience" and IMO we don't need the broadest possible audience, WOW is for that, plus, like I said, I don't think that's possible to achieve due to the RCE thing.

Naked avatars exist for a long time in the game and haven't seen any complaints yet (you know... objectifying females...).

Hope you get it now at least.

Except, I'm not. How could you possibly come to that conclusion?

I want the game to move in that direction out of my personal interests for the games growth.

You don't see the difference?

Some reading, with links:

Video Game Violence: A Scientific 'Consensus' Cracks

Not an actual study but some are linked from there.
Your link didn't work, fixed it.
Below's a short quote from the article:
Ferguson and his colleague German researcher Malte Elson invite readers to contemplate a thought experiment as way to think about the plausibility of the "monkey see/monkey do" theory of media violence. "Take 200 children and randomize 100 to watch their parents viciously attack one another for an hour a day, the other 100 to watch a violent television program an hour a day," they suggest, "then assess their mental health after one month is over." Surely they are right when they assert that "to suggest the mental health outcomes for these children would be even remotely identical is absurd." As the thought experiment makes clear, ordinary folks do recognize that people, including children, can distinguish between real and fictional violence and will react accordingly.

Recent research bolsters this common-sense view of how people actually experience media. Last month the Villanova psychologist Patrick Markey and colleagues published a study comparing trends in onscreen violence to America's murder and aggravated assault rates between 1960 and 2012. They report that movie violence has dramatically increased in the past 50 years, and that depictions of gun violence in PG-13 movies have tripled in the last 27 years. Controlling for possible confounders such as age shifts, poverty, education, incarceration rates, and economic inequality, they report, "Contrary to the notion that trends in violent films are linked to violent behavior, no evidence was found to suggest this medium was a major (or minor) contributing cause of violence in the United States." Earlier this week, the Federal Bureau of Investigation reported that the violent crime rate has fallen by nearly 50 percent over the past 20 years.
TL;DR: We are victims of pseudo-scientific manipulation. "Monkey see/monkey do" is a myth, it doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Long story short. All you Holier Than Thou Moral Police Cops!
Go ahead, close that damn safety valve, take away that beating doll from that Japanese worker.
It will give you sense of satisfaction and achievement. World will be a better place!

i'd say anyone needing this subject matter as a safety value probably got some issues, for which therapy would be a better solution. so the argument really falls down. in fact its pretty offensive.

now im the first to complain about authorities censoring and nannying, and dont hold much truck with the idea that computer games will make players in to mass murdering snipers. studies can show you what you want, but we heard it all before with videos, rock music, etc. but this matter is different, its private and selective, a decision by a group to maintain a standard they wish. if you want your vixen pet, your nudity, violence and gore theres a place to go for that.

suits everyone.

i'd say anyone needing this subject matter as a safety value probably got some issues, for which therapy would be a better solution. so the argument really falls down. in fact its pretty offensive.
2nd person to say this, i begin to see the wisdom in Svarog's wariness to use the "safety valve" argument...

The "safety valve" is a great argument which I usually abstain from using in these discussions, because a regular response is that if one has a need for that, one needs a serious medical help. Because, you know, modern humans have got so evolved (in a couple of decades, that's it; don't mind the "savages" beyond the "first world") that the only emotions they are able to feel are love and compassion.

O well, too late to take it back now (it's irony, in case u didn't get it) :smoke:

2nd person to say this, i begin to see the wisdom in Svarog's wariness to use the "safety valve" argument...

O well, too late to take it back now (it's irony, in case u didn't get it) :smoke:

you may be smug about it, however the arguement doesnt work for such a specific example. the principle that taking our frustrations out on something is quite sound, when that something is non-specific, abstract, removed from the frustration. saying you want to shoot pixels to unwind after hectic day at office works. saying you want to see nude ladies... yeah, worked for few thousand years. saying you want a female slave robot... are you sure?

you could, should have used an argument of escapism or fantasy, as that acknowledges it's out of the ordinary. the safety value, and the contrast to a "boss" punch bag is really kinda saying its just ok, ordinary behaviour. like say cycling, or knitting. thats whats wrong with the argument. (and i would be very careful about drawing contrasts to japanese practices, they have some cultrual interests that really dont travel at all)

Some reading, with links:

Video Game Violence: A Scientific 'Consensus' Cracks

Not an actual study but some are linked from there.

TL;DR: We are victims of pseudo-scientific manipulation. "Monkey see/monkey do" is a myth, it doesn't work that way.

Looks like an interesting piece (I only scanned it as I don't have much time atm) but it seems to miss the point that the key is normalisation, i.e. the part of my first post in this thread where I said "in a context that makes it appear normal and acceptable".

Let's look at GTA, for example, as a commonly-cited example of a violent game that's always been controversial. I love the GTA series, they're among my favourite games ever. What the moral critics generally don't get about GTA is that the lifestyle, the violence, the misogyny, the destruction, all of the horrible things that are depicted in those games, are never, ever portrayed as being part of normal life. All of the people that do bad things in GTA are criminals and lowlives, and inevitably bad things happen to them as a result of their actions. They get killed, or members or their families get killed, or they go to jail.

I can't think of a single example of a character in GTA where people commit violence or other crimes and don't have to suffer the consequences. There might have been in the first two games, where as far as I can remember they didn't bother much with character development, but it's been so long since I played those I wouldn't like to say.

Similarly in most FPS games there are reasons for the violent actions of the characters. They're at war, or fighting off an alien invasion. They are suffering extreme circumstances, not taking part in normal life.

If we look at the other extreme, say the case of a child's father beating the mother in their own home, for example, that's the exact opposite. Having your primary male role model doing that while you're at an impressionable age is clearly going to normalise that behaviour.

That's where the difference lies.

I can't think of a single example of a character in GTA where people commit violence or other crimes and don't have to suffer the consequences. There might have been in the first two games, where as far as I can remember they didn't bother much with character development, but it's been so long since I played those I wouldn't like to say.

Then let me take you on a nostalgia trip.

16 years ago. Damn.

Can you imagine someone creating pedophile game where all the children are vampire babies? I dearly hope no.

There was this other 3D environment (don't mentioning names to not get deleted). Ppl could create content, own avatars and own game logic. For way too long there were no rules, everything was allowed. All big companies (Ford, NBC, Fox News, name it) were there and had their own island.

And guess what: no rules, so of course ppl programmed pedo stuff. Players could act as kids and babies and get paid to be abused by other avatars. Yes, it was all pixels. Was it OK? No.

Result: all big companies left this "game", because they created rules way too late.

Do you want this to happen to Entropia? I don't.

If you like to have a woman as pet/slave (yes, it's a robotblabla), just fly to Rocktropia. You can do that there and also find a lot friends there. What is your problem?

Remember this "pet" ? :)
4212075-4836178914-warcr.jpg

The point with the other computer games, is you knew that when you signed up to them.

Some may enjoy that aspect of these other games, others just put up with it in order to enjoy the other aspects. Just like on here there is a divide between people who enjoy whipping the strippers, and those who think it is at best extremely poor taste and quite tacky.

With Entropia however, this was not what we signed up to. If someone told me " Go play entropia, its an awesome game, just try to ignore the men who have mostly naked strippers as pets whipping and selling them to other men" I can assure you my response would not be pleasant.

This development is at complete odds with their compet path, and I hate to say it - but the few who think this is all a big joke and people are getting upset over nothing, are contributing to the inevitable demise of a universe we all once loved.

Imagine compets did take off, it became the saviour of mind ark and boosted our univese. A game as wide spread and profitable of the likes of farmville. It wouldn't take more than a few days before the whole lot will come crumbling down. Just like Smoerble pointed out has happend in the past - With headlines such as -

"Cute compet games teaching your kids how to make sex slaves!"
"The dirty side of Compets - whipping & selling pet strippers causes huge backlash"
"Company dissovled after mixing cute bunnies with whippable playboy bunnies in game geared at young"

Entropia Universe is loved by many of it's players for it's social aspect. and the fact that it has a better balanced player population than many games. Less teens and a much higher proportion of female members (rather than F avatars) than is usual in an MMO.
Ever stopped to wonder why ?
Perhaps there are a few clues in this thread.
As a woman I have no wish to see hookers on every street corner, nor do I want to see the glorification of white slavery or any other thing that shows women as objects of degradation. It astounds me that any right thinking person would.
This is not about nudity or a F avatar/mob/NPC looking pretty or even sensuous this is clearly about enslavement rather than pets The robot answer is specious. Saying it is a bot so it is ok, is like saying a painting depicting and glorifying torture is ok... no it's not

Much as I love EU, I rarely go to RT (though I do like some of it) as I really don't want all this juvenile male fantasy pushed in my face.
Grow up boys or go play a game that offers what you want, rather than spoiling the nice balance we have here.

OK go for it, bring on the haters.. but remember this... people will judge you by your apparent predilections. I am already sure there are people who have posted here, that I would avoid in RL.

You can have your fantasies and your release from RL but either do it in your head, do it in private or do it in a game set up by and for like minded people.

Except, I'm not. How could you possibly come to that conclusion?

I want the game to move in that direction out of my personal interests for the games growth.

You don't see the difference?

That's just like supporting gay relationships, although you do not think they are normal. Which is a stupid thing to do and most of all hypocritical.

For you and Neverdie "any PR is good PR" might work. But a lot people here see it different, and luckily MA sees it different too.
I totally understand when someone runs a company and chooses to act like we are in year 2015, not like in 1970.
Let's get one thing straight. If u say this or that PP doesn't like vixens on their planet - this is one thing. If from there u jump over to the conclusion this is a bad PR for EU - that's a completely different thing.
I'm saying you can't make that jump. Nobody outside EU can tell apart planets and PP's, they have no idea what u talking about. For them EU is just EU. Anything that happens inside EU is the same from their POV.

That's why i don't agree with your claim "MA sees [this PR] different too". You don't know how MA sees it.

Well, if the above is just a questionable opinion, below is simply a dirty business...
But we all know, that ND has some serious problems anyway :D, so I am not surprised :D.
Rocktropia obviously /.../ make mistakes with intention, so ppl rant or abuse the game mechanic for a short time.
Here's the newsflash - it's not some SL here, we do have rules. There's some lines we shouldn't cross.

Stay safe.

Here's the newsflash - it's not some SL here, we do have rules. There's some lines we shouldn't cross.

Neverdie is not a stupid person. But you see the same "mistakes" over and over again. It's very easy to avoid these mistakes.

So:
ND not stupid -> same mistakes over and over again -> ND said multiple times "any PR is good PR" -> what makes you angry when I say: it's not mistakes, for him it's a "PR stunt"?

:D

you may be smug about it, however the arguement doesnt work for such a specific example. the principle that taking our frustrations out on something is quite sound, when that something is non-specific, abstract, removed from the frustration. saying you want to shoot pixels to unwind after hectic day at office works. saying you want to see nude ladies... yeah, worked for few thousand years. saying you want a female slave robot... are you sure?
Can't care less about female slave robots btw. Never planned on having one either.
What I do care about is this [neo]nazi attitude that says "you can dictate what other ppl can think, see or do in a video game". So get off my back, it's not about me. I'm standing for the freedom of thought and that's it.

It's your turn now. Choose your side.

... I'm standing for the freedom of thought and that's it.

freedom of thought and choice is about having areas for those that want nudity, violence etc, and areas for those that dont. the policy has allowed this choice, neither side has the others choice imposed upon them. yeah for freedom.

Can't care less about female slave robots btw. Never planned on having one either.
What I do care about is this [neo]nazi attitude that says "you can dictate what other ppl can think, see or do in a video game". So get off my back, it's not about me. I'm standing for the freedom of thought and that's it.

A bit curious here...
Who expressed what you mention: "What I do care about is this [neo]nazi attitude that says "you can dictate what other ppl can think, see or do in a video game"

I sure didnt. Answer without bullying if possible.
And this labeling of others, like being [neo]nazis is a bit annoying. Any chance you can let up on that?

nero

Last edited:
A bit curious here...

And this labeling of others, like being [neo]nazis is a bit annoying. Any chance you can let up on that?

No he can't. Whenever someone says "please accept other ppl opinions", then the FreedomOfSpeech-fanatics always call them nazis.

freedom of thought and choice is about having areas for those that want nudity, violence etc, and areas for those that dont. the policy has allowed this choice, neither side has the others choice imposed upon them. yeah for freedom.
Seems like a reasonable solution indeed. Yeah for freedom!

A bit curious here...
Who expressed what you mention: "What I do care about is this [neo]nazi attitude that says "you can dictate what other ppl can think, see or do in a video game"

I sure didnt. Answer without bullying if possible.
You, indeed, didn't. How do u expect me to answer this? A list of names? :)
Well those lines get blurry at the edges. Besides, i'm an hopeless optimist, i think maybe some ppl might eventually come over to my side... ;)

Maby i can tell a story instead? Did u know where we got tablecloth?

In Victorian ages people were a bit more easily offended. One day someone was looking at the table legs and felt they are terribly offensive! There's legs, all naked, no clothes at all!!!
That's how they invented those gorgeous tablecloth that falls down to the floor. It wasn't a fashion, it was a dire necessity...
(Not a fiction btw, it's a true story)

Let me put it this way. As long as those Victorian age people dress their own tables in their own houses it's allright by me. As soon as they come out to the town squares and demand everyone should dress their tables decently i start feeling a little bit uneasy. People i can't really understand make me nervous, can't help it.
Not sure if that's good enough answer... but that's all i got for now.

Back