Discussion: How would raising age requirements to 18/21/25 change EU?

Society
Apocalyptic
Whining Skeptic Aboard
Good evening,

While I tend to believe that the average age in EU is alot higher than for any other game, I also seem to have noticed a sudden rise in the amount of underaged participants.

While kids are cute with their diapers and all, I tend to believe it does a disservice to community at large. While there are plenty of exceptions, children are impulsive and lack self awareness and the ability to think critically.

Mind you, most of the people popping in thinking they can get rich over night that I've talked to, are 15-16 years of age.

Imagine a hypothetical scenario where the age limit was raised to 18, 21, or even 25. How do you think the game would change?

Please consider this a thought experiment and not a suggestion.

Edit: What I'm trying to achieve is a discussion about age, and how limiting the age spans in game would affect it. Feel free to suggest any age span and discuss it. I am not claiming older players necessarily behave in a mature way, just look at me for instance.

Some points to discuss could be impact on PR, in game economy, MAs economy, in world experience, what direction the game would move, etc.

Last edited:
A -21

Mind you, I am 19 and not doing harm to the game. At least I think so. By doing that, the playerbase would go down A LOT.

18+ is the deal, I think. I feel "attacked" here. Someone who is 18, or 19, does not mean they are like 15... year olds.

Mind you, I am 19 and not doing harm to the game. At least I think so. By doing that, the playerbase would go down A LOT.

18+ is the deal, I think. I feel "attacked" here. Someone who is 18, or 19, does not mean they are like 15... year olds.

I'm thinking that too to be honest. 18 would probably be the best.

I currently do not see what type of benefits advertising the game to people below 18 are.

Edited the OP to include 18.

It IS 18. Just because they allow younger to play with parents consent doesn't change that.

Rated R movies are for 18 plus but younger can go see them if accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Drinking here is 21, but in some states you can drink in a bar at 18 if your parents are there.

Gambling is 18

Dying for your country is 18.

It already IS a mature game. It has a RCE. It is for 18 and up or others with parent consent. It can't change nor should it. What is the point of your post?

It IS 18. Just because they allow younger to play with parents consent doesn't change that.

Rated R movies are for 18 plus but younger can go see them if accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Drinking here is 21, but in some states you can drink in a bar at 18 if your parents are there.

Gambling is 18

Dying for your country is 18.

It already IS a mature game. It has a RCE. It is for 18 and up or others with parent consent. It can't change nor should it. What is the point of your post?

The point is discuss how people believe that limiting the universe to certain age spans would affect the game.

If you've noticed interesting patterns among 60+ players, feel free to suggest that and discuss how you'd think the game would look with only seniors inside.

I bolded the last part of the OP. I did it to emphasize the fact that it is not a suggestion for implementation but a suggestion for a topic to discuss.

I think having a job is useful and the ability to deposit.

Unfortunately with many turning 18 or 21 doesn't give them an more sense. However I guess an IQ and moral value test would be a bit harsh ;)

18 makes sense from a financial point of view. Its the age here in which you can get yourself into a crap load of debt, if you so wish.

It is just annoying for the rest of us when we come across such immaturity in game, where we wouldn't usually associate with those sort of people IRL, but unavoidable I guess as those type of people come in all ages. Just have to up ones "dodging the numpties" skill ;)

18 is fair. I started playing when I was 16 and 10 years on I look at some of my old posts and cringe. Too nieve and impulsive like you say.

Although I've met 30 year old players that are far worse than some of the youngest players I know.

Unfortunately with many turning 18 or 21 doesn't give them an more sense. However I guess an IQ and moral value test would be a bit harsh ;)

18 makes sense from a financial point of view. Its the age here in which you can get yourself into a crap load of debt, if you so wish.

It is just annoying for the rest of us when we come across such immaturity in game, where we wouldn't usually associate with those sort of people IRL, but unavoidable I guess as those type of people come in all ages. Just have to up ones "dodging the numpties" skill ;)

Well...

Such a test would sure be interesting. But I actually doubt it would have any big impacts. I'd probably manage to pass it eventually, yet you know what kind of baby I can behave like in game. ;)

I personaly started playing this game when i was 14, and while having a more childish behaviour (per say), I was still far more mature than older people I've met throughout... I don't think adding an age requirement is gonna help at all to be honest. It might filter some of the deadweight, but won't really fix anything, as you can be a child wether your 10 or 40, the rookie chat is a really good example of that.

so yeah :p

Well if you choose to interact with 1000's of faceless people for your fun, you can expect ALL personality types to be present.

Some of those personalities you won't like...sure...but...

This game isn't close to the level of immaturity found in CoD or basically any xBox live game. That is why we chose it.

Celebrate and enjoy the different people that found this game, and don't try to make them all like you...trust me, you would get sick of that too.

Looking for ways to ban yourself out of the game, ech? ;)

In other news today, I recently learned that one guy whom I used to frown upon as "that silly kid" is actually older than me.

Also, humans are apes who never grow up.

Per Planet Age Restrictions

No reason why they cant RESTRICT or ALLOW players to various planets based on a PP age restriction which MA will know when they sign up for an account.

So kids wont be able to tp to, or access PP dl with an age restriction whilst mature players could. Something like that :scratch2:

Less kids/teens = less drama.

But also a LOT more boring and definately not a good move for any game, (just my 2pec).

Young people spend money more easy than older people, thats why the advertising industry love them so much.

I dont mind young people inside EU, not because i hope they get screwed over by mindark but because i believe they do no harm. I can pick my contacts and we have a lot of freedom to choose how tight our level of interaction with other players is. Its easy to blend off large parts of the community if you want to and build your own network of trusted persons. As long i can play EU at my peace i dont mind what everyone else does.

Interacting with other people inside EU can also teach you a lesson or two about people , greed and lies. As faster someone learn that nice people arn't necessary honest or act in your best interest as better it is for their future in real life too. Since Eu is a sandbox and i doubt a 15 year old kid will deposit thousands of dollars the harm of misplacing trust in someone else is limited but the lesson might prove invalueable.

Apart from toublemakers and people with attention syndrome most 15 year old persons are just your average joe and act and talk normally. Limiting Eu to 21 years and older would harm the plattform

Age is no guarantee of maturity.

I met a few 15-16 year olds who I'd happily trust with stuff and I've met 30+ year olds I wouldn't trust and you've only got to look at some of the forum posts to find that.

Good evening,

Mind you, most of the people popping in thinking they can get rich over night that I've talked to, are 15-16 years of age.

arent you one of them and for that rison you made hunting log, and when things went normal you just closed it and made selling out thread

arent you one of them and for that rison you made hunting log, and when things went normal you just closed it and made selling out thread

No. That was not the reason I had/have a log. The reason I ran a log was to share my progress.

And as I've stated before, despite my age I do act less mature than my 4yo from time to time.

Come here young man this area here is designated for having fun.
This older gentleman over there, in the uniform, will look after you and take care that you all behave in there!
Now go get your daily dose of entertainment, son.

This vision isn't real, yet, but we're well on our way there, it seems...
Hopefully the younger generation will take over soon.*
If not, we might eventually need an upper age limit. :yup:

Edit: * By "younger" i mean 18-40, althou some 16y old are more adult than some 21. Some ppl are still very youthful at 70, some are showing 1st signs of approching senility at 35... Those exact numbers is always a risky business.

Last edited:
Imagine a hypothetical scenario where the age limit was raised to 18, 21, or even 25. How do you think the game would change?

Problem: older players who put their toddler in front of the computer, to let them hunt with guns and stuff, while parent go off do something else, despite the fact accounts are personal.. (it's already happened that an older player lost a gun because of this)

As said, this game IS 18+

13+ with parental consent. But any kid can fake this parental consent, and that is the part I am not totally happy with.

The reason I have been playing this game myself for years is mostly the player base is a mature one. Excuse my French here, but in WoW my mom would be fucked by so many kids she'd be a prostitute, anyone even trying to touch my mom in EU will be put to shame in the chat (unless it's called for or banter).

If there is a kid that can behave like a grown up, I'm fine with it. But if this game will be one day overrun by ignorant teens or trolling kids, I will likely move to another game.

There is no point having a restriction that is not enforceable.

Good evening,

While I tend to believe that the average age in EU is alot higher than for any other game, I also seem to have noticed a sudden rise in the amount of underaged participants.

While kids are cute with their diapers and all, I tend to believe it does a disservice to community at large. While there are plenty of exceptions, children are impulsive and lack self awareness and the ability to think critically.

Please consider this a thought experiment and not a suggestion.

Edit: What I'm trying to achieve is a discussion about age, and how limiting the age spans in game would affect it. Feel free to suggest any age span and discuss it. I am not claiming older players necessarily behave in a mature way, just look at me for instance.

Some points to discuss could be impact on PR, in game economy, MAs economy, in world experience, what direction the game would move, etc.

Age is a state of mind. I have met both mature kids, and childish adults in this game. It should be up to the family to decide what age is appropriate for the children to play this, or any other game.

Not bashing, just making observation, but you write that children are impulsive. I have seen the same from you. I got the impression you were older at first by how you write. Then I read where you said you were going to school and was confused because I thought that meant you were younger, bad assumption on my part. I could see from your posts that you are an impulsive indecisive character in this game who seems to have more discretionary cash to "invest" than most. I couldn't tell if you were an impulsive and indecisive trust fund kid, or an impulsive indecisive adult with a lot of discretionary income, or a soon to be credit card debt problem. Either way, it's nice to have options, and some of the young people I have played with when I started this game are successful young adults who knew exactly what they wanted every step of the way, so I don't see a problem, just stay out of Rookie chat :laugh:

Age is a state of mind. I have met both mature kids, and childish adults in this game. It should be up to the family to decide what age is appropriate for the children to play this, or any other game.

Not bashing, just making observation, but you write that children are impulsive. I have seen the same from you. I got the impression you were older at first by how you write. Then I read where you said you were going to school and was confused because I thought that meant you were younger, bad assumption on my part. I could see from your posts that you are an impulsive indecisive character in this game who seems to have more discretionary cash to "invest" than most. I couldn't tell if you were an impulsive and indecisive trust fund kid, or an impulsive indecisive adult with a lot of discretionary income, or a soon to be credit card debt problem. Either way, it's nice to have options, and some of the young people I have played with when I started this game are successful young adults who knew exactly what they wanted every step of the way, so I don't see a problem, just stay out of Rookie chat :laugh:

Regarding myself;

I am indeed impulsive and an adult, and I am quite certain I share more traits with teenagers than that. My school would reference to university which is study alongside my company where I work full time. Closing in on the thirties.

Regarding the topic:

I should have put more thought into the original post. Right now it just comes off as bashing young players. I am well aware there are plenty of young people out there more mature in their behavior than most adults, but I am seeing what I think is the presence of more.... Wow-type players. It might also be confirmation bias, that I see it now because I look for it. That was part of the reason why I wanted to get some light into the topic, as that would help me figure out wheter or not it is just me who observed this.

Regarding myself;

I am seeing what I think is the presence of more.... Wow-type players. It might also be confirmation bias, that I see it now because I look for it.

I would only say that the presence of WoW type players is an indication of a growing community. The game is apparently reaching a wider audience this year than since 2008.

An economist might approve of this trend, noting a growth in disposable income in the younger sector as a good thing. If disposable income is not a factor, perhaps adjustments to mob loot tables are proving successful for the platform.

Either way, we grow and adapt. So will they. We will reach a new norm that accommodates all, in some capacity.

Regarding myself;

I am indeed impulsive and an adult, and I am quite certain I share more traits with teenagers than that. My school would reference to university which is study alongside my company where I work full time. Closing in on the thirties.

Regarding the topic:

I should have put more thought into the original post. Right now it just comes off as bashing young players. I am well aware there are plenty of young people out there more mature in their behavior than most adults, but I am seeing what I think is the presence of more.... Wow-type players. It might also be confirmation bias, that I see it now because I look for it. That was part of the reason why I wanted to get some light into the topic, as that would help me figure out wheter or not it is just me who observed this.

I don't think taking your experiences and generalizing them is particularly accurate thing to do and may not reflect what other people are experiencing. I know I haven't.

I don't know what you mean by "Wow-type" players, but it seems to have a negative connotation that rubs me the wrong way and smacks of elitism. I enjoyed my time in Wow and met and played with a lot of great people. I played WoW for many years, since the Molten Core 40 man raid days up until I got burned out leveling up again a few years ago, I played up to lvl 80 and got bored, then started building mixed race/class 5 toon multi-box teams for pvp and instances. Then got bored with that and called it quits.

I played with some co-workers at first and learned the game, then went off on my own when they fell by the wayside over time. I ran with some great guilds who were serious progressive end game content raiders, not like best in the world or anything, but serious about their game play and having fun and competed well on the servers. Most of them were adults, professional adults with real Fortune 500 jobs and families. We raided hard and were very disciplined. Of course there were kids on the servers who did silly stuff, but they were kids doing what kids do and they didn't affect our game play. I would love for a lot of those "Wow-type" people to come play this game, many of them were great gamers and would be assets to the community, but most if not all I had discussed it with and showed it to quickly rejected this game for a variety of reasons. PE's loss.

We need next generation in EU, as we need them in RL.

Next generation is the new players, the new depositors. Thats the people that we need to keep EU alive!

We have the 18+ restriction, and those below that age need parental permission to participate in EU.

I already met several people ingame who told me that they bring their own kids into EU.
I try that myself, as I want to teach them about EU myself.

Most of my kids aren´t interested in EU.
One of my son is interested, and he sooner or later will be here.

I don´t live forever, and time will come my son can takeover what I have achieved in EU.
EU is part of my live, and I surely never will cut out my own children from a part of my life, thats why I want them to learn what EU is!

My kids get parental permission to participate in EU even at age below 18, if they want it!

I did it to emphasize the fact that it is not a suggestion for implementation but a suggestion for a topic to discuss.

/mod note/ I've edited the thread title to better reflect that.

Back