need help with RAM

zfv6

hello everyone

im new to Entropia Universe/planet calypso i registered and downloaded yesterday how ever i onlyfinished the tutorial today which was realy nice :) no problems wasnt to hard ( cept the mining part???) anyhow since iv gotten to the mainland at the beach when ever i try to play about 2-5 minutes into the game it crashes saying i dont have enough RAM to support this application how ever i check the minimum requierments which was i think 2-3gb ram??? dont remember but my computer has 4 gb ram so i dont understand what the problem is can someone help me out on this??? im not a computer Guinness so if someone can put it in plain english that be great thanks a bunch :D

hello everyone

im new to Entropia Universe/planet calypso i registered and downloaded yesterday how ever i onlyfinished the tutorial today which was realy nice :) no problems wasnt to hard ( cept the mining part???) anyhow since iv gotten to the mainland at the beach when ever i try to play about 2-5 minutes into the game it crashes saying i dont have enough RAM to support this application how ever i check the minimum requierments which was i think 2-3gb ram??? dont remember but my computer has 4 gb ram so i dont understand what the problem is can someone help me out on this??? im not a computer Guinness so if someone can put it in plain english that be great thanks a bunch :D

Whilst 4gb ram is playable, I had a lot of problems in certain areas until I switched to a 64 bit operating system that could use 8gb ram (32 bit operating systems cant use more than 4gb ram)

Lowering the graphics settings will help (try playing in low), but some recently introduced areas arent as friendly to 4gb ram PC's as others.

Hope that wasn't too technical :)

Whilst 4gb ram is playable, I had a lot of problems in certain areas until I switched to a 64 bit operating system that could use 8gb ram (32 bit operating systems cant use more than 4gb ram)

Lowering the graphics settings will help (try playing in low), but some recently introduced areas arent as friendly to 4gb ram PC's as others.

Hope that wasn't too technical :)

thanks il try my best :) how ever we dont have more then 4 gb ram :( so bad luck there not to mention the Id+!T who installed windows on our computer LOVES 64 bit how ever installed it in 32 bit.... Guinness i must say.... anyhow il try low settings if not then il stick to safe mood seemed to work

thanks heaps

Welcome to Planet Calypso!

My advice to you is to close all other programs and see if it helps. In some instances other programs take up big chunks of RAM, leaving little room for EU.
As you are no computer wizard, most likely you will have some programs starting automatically with computer, in fact most of them you don't need anyway... check small icons in system tray, next to system clock and date. You can right click them and select close/exit manually or you can use some programs to help you clean autostart, check AnVir - very user friendly program, although it can be bit intimidating at first.

If your PC have 4GB RAM as you said, or you have 32-bit System, switching to 64-bit will most likely not change anything for you (unless there is crucial bug in 32-bit EU that affects you).
However if you want to try, here is how to do it:
1. First check if you have 64-bit System (and how much RAM you have):
- click Start
- right click My Computer
- click Properties
- information screen should popup, displaying info about your System, if you see 64-bit in System type then you can proceed to step no. 2., if not, you have 32-bit System
- on this screen you can also check total amount of RAM installed (and how much useable)
2. In Client Loader click Tools, in first tab (Options) there is "Use 64-bit client" option - make sure to check it and click OK. Then start new game.

Note that if you have more than 4GB RAM and 32-bit System, you are limited to 4GB only. The way to fix it would be to install 64-bit Windows.

Hope it's not too technical for you.

32bit system, can see 4 GB ram but can only adress 2GB to a 32bit program
64bit can see as much u can put in :) and can adress the same to 64bit program

You probably have 32bit Windows. Solution reinstall Windows with 64bit edition and optional put another 4GB ram in PC :)

Back in the days I ran 32-bit, only solution to this problem was to increase swap space. Even on lowest gfx settings did the engine fail with this error.

3 or 4GB swap could possibly help. If the problem persists, I fear the other posts suggesting a 64-bit OS is just about the only remaining option.

++luck;

EU will run on almost any PC with 2 gig of RAM as long as you have a half decent graphics card - my son runs EU on a dual core with only 2 gig of RAM, just ensure nothing else is running. search for "run" in the control panel. Type msconfig, go to start options and turn everything off except your anti virus, this will prevent any other programs running when you start your PC. EU will run fine as long as you have a separate graphics card. You may need to reduce the graphics resolution to make the game run smoothly. If you do not have a separate graphics card then you will have serious problems running the game. I hope this helps and Good Luck

Type msconfig, go to start options and turn everything off except your anti virus, this will prevent any other programs running when you start your PC.

This can cause problems depending on what programs the computer relies on. It should be done with caution.

This can cause problems depending on what programs the computer relies on. It should be done with caution.

Sellecting Diagnostic startup- Load basic device drivers and services only should be safe enough for him ?

If your PC is running 1x4gb memory card it will struggle, if it is 2x2gb you will be better off as the motherboard will be able to use 2 streams of memory, I recently upgraded from 1x4gb to 2x4gb and it vastly improved gameplay for me, am able to run on high graphics where as before i could only use low.

If you are in the UK and would like some suggestions on what RAM to buy drop me a PM and ill point you in the right direction (spent about a week trying to find best deal for decent quality) Its quite cheap aswell, was just under £50 for the upgrade and can be done for less.

Do you know if you have a separate graphics card in the PC or is it built into the motherboard?

A separate card will have it's own memory, however built in "onboard" graphics will take up maybe 1Gb of your 4Gb system memory.

Back