Trip to the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia

Thark

Stalker
Society
The Prodigy
Shawn Thark Columbo
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a place to stay in those countries or some tips from people who have been there before and who know some interesting places that I can't find on tripadvisor and such sites. Or maybe a good bar, a nice view, a beautiful secret beach or what ever. If you've been there 10 years ago, tell me about the places you still remember cuz those were probably one of the better locations :p

in September I will be traveling all over the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia. Obviously 1 monthy is way too short for 3 countries but I can't take more time and we figured we'd just go all over the place and get a general feeling and then come back next year or the year after or when ever for a more in-depth trip to a specific area.

We are 3 people, mid 26-27 very open to new things and everything new and exciting we love to go off the beaten path, so not just the big cities. Ofc we will visit them for a day or 2 each anyway.

First stop is Hong Kong to meet up with my other room m8. Then we fly to manila and spend -+1 week in the Philippines. Probably staying in the northern part as I've read the south is "less save" but also because we couldn't really get very far south if we have to be back 8 days later or what ever

Then we fly to Kuala Lumpur and wanna visit Taman Negara and Penang and stuff on the western coast.

We will then drive to Singapur and fly to Bali from there. Check out the island for a while and either try to find a decent transportation to Jakarta i.e. a boat or train or what ever or just fly from there and then do some trips to places around jakarta and just use it as a base of operation.

Ok so this is all we have planned yet and I hope you didn't get bored reading it but I thought the more I share our plans the better you guys can give me tips.

Thanks in advance! :)
Thark

First stop is Hong Kong to meet up with my other room m8. Then we fly to manila and spend -+1 week in the Philippines. Probably staying in the northern part as I've read the south is "less save" but also because we couldn't really get very far south if we have to be back 8 days later or what ever

If u like to party-party 24h go to Angeles City, near Clarck. If u like nice beaches and beautiful scenery, fly from Manila to Palawan, Puerto Princesa and take a van to El Nido. Or somewhere in Bohol. And in south, Davao is ok, as safe as other bigger cities in Philippines... Check hotels before u go, specially in El Nido....

I spent about a month in the Philippines a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I have known Filipino people for many years starting off at a young age when I was in the military and made quick friends with and enjoyed spending time with them. I have often contemplated retiring there.

It is an archipelago of about 7,000 islands divided up between three main regions, Luzon in the north (that is where Manila is), Visayas in the central region, and Mendanao in the south. It is a country of extreme contrasts that will please, and often assault your senses, especially if your visiting from a developed western society. There are many things to do and places to go see.

In my experience, it is not any more dangerous than many other places, except for some war torn places around the globe but that would be expected. I never had a problem while I was there, but I was traveling with locals I trusted when I was there, with a word of caution as they told me. You can feel very safe and not know you are in danger because everyone treats you so well, this can lull unsuspecting people into a false sense of security. Most of the people there are VERY nice and polite and will usually greet you with a big smile, either out of happiness to see you or curiosity and someone disbelief to see you if your off the beaten path.

I don't suggest going off the beaten path if your not with a local you know and trust. Later in the US when I told a Filipina friend where I had gone in the Visayas, she was aghast and said I would never have taken me there, she said I could easily have been a kidnapping target. I think she was overreacting a bit. I never felt the threat either in the city or the province and I am VERY security conscious and keep a heightened sense of situation awareness when I am out and about. I have been told that it was better not to go too far out from the main cities in the southern Mendanao region, but I have read and monitor a LivinginthePhilippines Yahoo group and there are members who live in certain areas in that region without any trouble for many years.

This could be said about anywhere, but the thing that will keep you the safest is to just respect everyone and smile and make sure you keep your wits about you and don't put yourself in sketchy situations. Don't let anyone sucker you into a no-win-no-way-out situation. Stay away from drunk unstable people. Better to politely decline and walk away and live another day as they say. If you get into trouble, there is not a lot anyone will be able to do to help you. Beware of all kinds of scams, its generally a poor country and everyone is trying to make a buck, but don't get mad, just understand it for what it is, smile say no thank you and move on. It is important to let others "save face", do not argue to win or make a point. You may win the battle and loose the war so to speak. Remember you are just visiting and are a guest there and want to go home in one piece. You can be social and have a good time without getting into debates about political or other topics. Don't get drunk and act a fool. Don't disrespect the women! (or the ladyboys for that matter). If you look really different than the local population, like a tall white or black guy, you will definitely stand out and get your share of attention so be prepared for that, it can be good or bad attention. With all of those cautionary things said, you and your friends will probably enjoy it there and will meet many happy helpful VERY nice attractive people in your travels in and around the Philippines, I know I did :)

You can usually get by with English, most people speak their native dialect from the region they come from, plus they learn Tagalog the national language in school, as well as English. Some have traveled extensively as OFW's and can converse in many languages as they seem to adapt well wherever they go.

I visited many places in Luzon and the Visayas. In the Visayas I spent time on the island of Bohol and there are some nature things to do and see there. I also spent a week on Boracay island which is kind of touristy and expensive but its just a long strand of white powder beaches surrounded by turquoise blue water with hotels and plenty of stuff to do, or just lay on the beach and swim in the lukewarm water. It was REALLY nice. I stayed in a nice hospitable place and enjoyed relaxing and doing some other activities like scuba diving, etc.

In Luzon, there are many things to do, one I recall that I enjoyed was taking a boat to Corregidore and seeing all of the old artifacts from WW2 and the cave where the US was holed up as the Japanese advanced and took over the country in those early years of the war.

Mania was not unlike a lot of other big cities I had been to, I don't have a lot to comment there, other than if you like nice (for that region) hotels and shopping, there is plenty there. You can go to the great mall of asia and be astounded by the offerings there and just wonder how people can afford all the name brand stuff. But there are a lot of rich people there too, and a lot of OFW money that flows back in so there are some bucks floating around even if you don't expect it.

Ok, that's my brief travel advisory for the Philippines. With so many other places to visit, I probably won't go back any time soon since there are so many other places in the world I want to see, but there is still a lot to see and do there that I didn't get around to so I wouldn't mind going back again sometime.

Mabuhay!

You mentioned driving down to Singapore.

if you staying there a few days, there are all sorts of places you can stay at, from back packers places to 5 star hotels.

It all depends on your budget and what you looking for.

As for looking around, pretty much a very safe place, and I can suggest places, if I know what you looking for.

If am free when you are down, am even willing to meet you up for a drink or two ;)

Thank you for your replies, I noted all the suggestions down and am so so happy for the input. We'll work out our rough plan from home but leave plenty of room for spontaneous things.

El Nildo looks like a great place, I'd totally love to see the pictures I get from google for real.
I'll totally try to convince my traveling party to check out Corregidor, I'm a big history nut but my friends not so much but I bet a boat tour I can sell.
All the others are written down and I'll check them out in depth.

As for the questions / additional info about us:

We are from Germany and my friend and I have traveled a lot. we have been to every continent except Australia and spend several months in Asia specifically but never in one of those countries. I appreciate the warnings and general tips none the less and please don't worry, we got this :) We are totally nice people. We've never had any problems anywhere we couldn't just fix with being nice, or in the case of Russia, paying the bribe the police wanted from us :p (no offence to anyone, that's just what happened)

We are usually low budged when we travel, one because that way we can travel more ;P and two because you meet all kinds of cool people in hostels or more importantly those small shops on the windy corner of a dirty street or anywhere but the big fancy hotels or malls.
I personally like to, really quick, check out the few sights one just has to see in the city I'm in and then just walk around the city drive to different places and see what I can see.

In Singapore we'll probably do the same thing. If you know a place that is authentic there, maybe your favorite bar, a good Singaporean food shop or a nice place you like to relax at I'd totally like you to share any suggestions you might have. I know Singapore is not like this but just to give you a picture of us, we would much rather go to the run down pub/bar the old locals go to then some fancy western or Irish pub in fact, we wouldn't go there at all. Last time I was in Thailand and China I didn't eat any European food or went to any "western" shops at all. I hope you know what I mean.

And yeah if you feel like it would love to meet up with you. I'll pm you my E-mail so we can stay in contact.

Best Regards
Thark

Last edited:
Bump For more tips about the Philippines, Malaysia or Indonesia.

Haven't gotten much for the Indonesia part. That includes Bali and then how to get from there to Jakarta and what to do on or around those 2 places.

Regards
Thark

Hey,

so I'm leaving tomorrow for Hong Kong, then two days later I'll be in Manila. And on the 17th I'll be flying to Singapore and shortly after we'll be driving around malaysia. On the 24th I'll be in Jakarta and then be taking the car or some trains to look around indonesia. Thanks again for all the tips I have a lot on my cheat sheet now :p

If any of you guys would like to meet up somewhere and show me your favorite bar or something lemme know when and where you are so I can figure something out.

Thark

Reactions: Mac
Hey,

In singapore right now. Grabbing some food and then i'm up for some drinks :). Pm me

How was your PI visit?

Back