Complete Resource Gathering guide

TunerS

Old Alpha
Sniper TunerS Eagle
Some of you might know me from Cyrene forum. The rest of you...if you are not on Cyrene at the moment or going to visit it soon...don't worry, you didn't miss anything important.

These past few weeks I have been harvesting trees most of my ingame time. It surprised me that there are so many players who still don't know how Resource Gathering profession really works, what player is suppose to do to find these trees and how to harvest them correctly. A lot of players started to ask me to explain them how it all works and I realised that it will take me less time to create a tutorial about it than explaining every player individually what it is all about. So after harvesting over 8500 trees I finally decided to do it.

Let's start...

Moonleaf Boards and what it's all about?
There are 3 types of Moonleaf Boards that can be harvested from trees with Terratech PH tools.

Each board can be harvested from different tree levels using different Terratech PH level. More about that I will explain in Tools section. All these boards are used in crafting Composite Plank which is used to buy CLD Estate Plots.

Harvestable tree types, levels and largest areas with them
Harvestable trees have 3 levels. The level means what Moonleaf Board type can be harvested using the approprite level Terratech tool. More about that in Tools section. Tree level is not changing the actual tree size in any way. All harvestable trees from same type looks the same no matter what level.

Small Tree (lvl.1)

Large Tree (lvl.2)

As far as I have found there are 3 types of different looking trees on Calypso.

Near Fort Argus teleporter on Eudoria

Small area compared to other places but still notable.

All around New Switzerland teleporter on Amathera

Basically all areas where you can see green fields on the map. Hard to harvest trees since there are a lot of Argonauts around everywhere ranging from Young to Hunter level. Also PVP area outside Landareas. Most players will try to kill each other. Mostly for players who would like a little action as addition to harvesting.

All around Port Atlantis, Camp Icarus and Billy's Spaceship Afterworld teleporters on Eudoria

This whole area is covered with just one harvestable tree type.

Tools
All Terratech models look the same in game.

However each model has different parameters.

Terratech PH-1 (L)
Source: Trade Terminal
TT value: 5.00 PED
Decay: 0.02 PED

Harvestable boards from trees:
Small Tree (lvl.1) - Small Moonleaf Board, Wood Shavings
Large Tree (lvl.2) - Small Moonleaf Board, Wood Shavings
Huge Tree (lvl.3) - Small Moonleaf Board, Wood Shavings

Terratech PH-2 (L)
Source: Crafted
TT value: 10.00 PED
Decay: 0.05 PED

Large Tree (lvl.2) - Moonleaf Board, Wood Shavings
Huge Tree (lvl.3) - Moonleaf Board, Wood Shavings

Terratech PH-3 (L)
TT value: 20.00 PED
Decay: 0.10 PED

Huge Tree (lvl.3) - Long Moonleaf Board, Wood Shavings

Terratech PH-3
TT value: 30.00 PED
Decay: 0.10 PED

Huge Tree (lvl.3) - Long Moonleaf Board, Wood Shavings

Tips and tricks how to make tree harvesting more efficient
1. When you equip Terratech harvesting tool, you will be able to see node (blinking yellow dot) on the harvestable tree trunk. You can find multiple harvestable trees in the same location with different levels. You can find any tree level with any Terratech tool, but you can only harvest certain boards from trees as explained above in Tools section.

2. ATTENTION! Once you start harvesting the tree, you have only 20 seconds before it disappears. It is enough time to finish harvesting it. But keep an eye on any distractions you might get while doing so. For example, creatures that might force you to heal or even respawn, steep slopes where you might fall down and not get back to the tree in time.

3. You can only get a maximum of 8 pulls from 1 tree. It is also possible to get only 1 pull before the tree disappears and even that one might be just a yellow message saying "Harvest attempt failed to generate useable resources."

4. Try not to visit the same area where another player has just been. Chances are there are no harvestable trees left. It never hurts to check though, you never know what might spawn right beside you :)

5. It is a good practice to respawn Small Trees (lvl.1) by using Terratech PH-1 (L) from Trade Terminal once on them. With just one use it will start the tree timer and it will disappear after 20 seconds. It will not only help you see where you have been before but also give other players a sign that this place is already harvested.

6. There is a way to see harvestable trees (trees that have nodes) without equiping Terratech tool on Eudoria. By turning down graphics settings to LOW quality, you will remove all unnecessary graphic effects. Which will turn all trees with nodes in lighter green color than the normal ones around them.

All around Port Atlantis, Camp Icarus and Billy's Spaceship Afterworld teleporters on Eudoria

Notice a slight difference in color for two trees. These trees can be harvested.

Near Fort Argus teleporter on Eudoria

Again notice the different color of some trees. These trees can be harvested.

7. Trees with nodes can be selected with mouse while Terratech tool is equiped. You can check almost every tree that is in your view range for possible nodes by just howering your mouse over them. Keep in mind that nodes are located closer to the ground and the further you are from the tree, the harder it will be to target it. The maximum range I could target a node was 323m away. I think that is far enough to cover most of the area for fast information.

8. Harvestable trees have locked coordinates. If the tree is harvested, it will respawn in exact coordinates after a few hours. It is worth remembering where the largest harvestable tree groups are. If no one has been there for a while, there is a high chance there are harvestable trees spawned again.

Last edited:
Excellent guide + rep

A really nice job. Well done!

Very well written and comprehensive guide.

Thanks for doing it. :thumbup:

(still not a hobby for me, but I know some that love hunting a mob that never fights back ;-) )

Actually you have no clue about the areas :D

Rest of guide is good + REP

One thing that you neglected to mention, and I just posted it on another thread, is that the target is actually only on one side of the tree, the south side. Maybe its a different side on other planets, but on Arkadia its the south side. If you try to cut most anywhere else on the circumference of the tree you get the dreaded "failure to move within interaction range" message. Its always the side, at least with the species I've seen, where the tree has a "foot" sticking out from the tree base. When due south is not accessible just move a little one way or the other and you can get the job done.

Great info .. thank you!!
A really nice job. Well done!
Very well written and comprehensive guide.

Thanks for doing it. :thumbup:

(still not a hobby for me, but I know some that love hunting a mob that never fights back ;-) )

Actually you have no clue about the areas :D

Rest of guide is good + REP
If you know more about tree areas then feel free to share the information. I will add you to the contributors list. It is nearly impossible to cover the whole map, it just takes way too much time, so I just shared areas around popular teleporters.

One thing that you neglected to mention, and I just posted it on another thread, is that the target is actually only on one side of the tree, the south side. Maybe its a different side on other planets, but on Arkadia its the south side. If you try to cut most anywhere else on the circumference of the tree you get the dreaded "failure to move within interaction range" message. Its always the side, at least with the species I've seen, where the tree has a "foot" sticking out from the tree base. When due south is not accessible just move a little one way or the other and you can get the job done.
I never used "Auto-Use Tool" or "Move To Target when Interacting" while harvesting. You have to get close to the tree manually anyway and when you are there, you can just hold your mouse button for 20 seconds. Maybe I'm just not that lazy to use these actions. :laugh: This is the reason why I didn't post any workaround for this problem. Thanks for the information.

Hi

Like to add to this guide some information. Make sure you dont pass the server line when looking for trees as it appears this is only on certain servers, doesn't matter if the trees are the same as the harvestable ones. Waiting for ma to confirm but i checked most trees on the other side of the server and didnt find one lon:65533 lat:74588. If confirmed should save you an hour or two ;)

resource_gathering.jpg

That's why worth it to read forum often!
Thanks for info and tips
+1

Are there any specific locations on other planets, like Arkadia, that have a big forrest of these trees?

Great little guide, thank you TunerS.

I have just spent the past hour (miraculously I actually have time to get online) harvesting trees, and for the first time, thanks to your post.

It is an excellent and informative Guild :)

Some things though - not all trees are green, there are some alien ones that are harvestable and they are purple.
I have taken screenshots of all the different types I have found - what they look like and location shown on radar.

Calypso is better than Ark (well it used to be, I have been away for a while) on Arkadia there are servers where there are no trees at all. Its a waste of time looking for them in those - I can not remember which ones they are offhand - will post later when I have been to Ark again & check (5 of 9 servers I think) - info is on Arkadian Forum

The gold dot is on the South side, and it can be easy to miss them (on Ark anyway). What I do is sweep the cursor across trees as I am approaching - about the height where they branch - if they are harvestable will show up as white letters in a black box - that appears much father away then the gold dot.

A couple of things - some trees are of a size and shape that it is difficult to harvest them - then untick the "move to target" box in options - that works but remember to tick it again when finished.

I did not have time to do much harvesting/exploring last time I was on Caly - but it seemed there were less trees (harvested maybe?) and there seemed to be some new types (will take shots for my pic collection)

/mod note/

Thread moved to Mining/Resource Gathering section, and stickied :wise:

Thanks for the awesome guide. You deserved a rep from me :)

Back