New gaming rig underperforming in Entropia?

sbi

Elite
Sbinortz Sbi Latz'tek
Hi all,

Since I am not computer tech savvy at all I'll ask you guys :)

I just bought a new gaming rig. I had quite high hopes for the rigs performance in Entropia but alas they are not quite fulfilled.

With very high settings and highest resolution (windowed mode) I get around 30-40 ish fps in average. And quite often the fps drops to 7 for a brief time when moving around.

Furthermore I experienced a LOT of tools fails (i.e. fap not working due to lag/unresponsiveness) when I play with very high gfx settings. It seems like this problem is gone when I lower the gfx settings.

The rig:
Main screen: 2560 X 1440
Secondary screen: 1920 X 1200

Win 8.1
16 GB DDR4-2133 Ram (4 modules X 4GB)
i7-5820K 6X3,3Ghz processor
SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB harddrive
Asus X99-A Motherboard
Seasonic SSP-750RT PSU
Nvidia Asus GTX980ti 6GB gfx card

I've attached some screens from 3d Mark.

So, am I just expecting too much of the rigs performance in EU? Or can I do something to improve its performance? (windows fully updated as is the gfx drivers I believe.)

Any input and suggestions are well received :)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=302493&c=19

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=302494&c=19

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=302495&c=19

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=302496&c=19

/sbi

This happens during lots of GDs around? Such as eomon spot? I think that area will be laggy even for any uber PC if so.

If you lagg other normal places then I have no idea

The 980ti, that is essentially SLI on a single card, right? EU is awful about supporting SLI and Crossfire. Can you turn off one of the GPUs? If not, turn tesselation off or way down. That may help. There is some other setting, but I can't remember what it is.

unfortunately EU suffers from some pretty massive server optimization issues... Try these out:

Change draw distance to high/medium
Change Object Quality to High
Change terrain quality slider to middle
Change Particle Effects Quality to High

Everything else can be on very high with no issues, also make sure anti-aliasing is 2x, no higher..

Your PC is a beast, and could handle just about any game, but EU needs a processor from God himself to run everything maxed at 60fps.. But EU can only utilize 2 cores because CE2 is a DX10 engine.. So overclock that CPU to 4.2Ghz and make the changes I suggested.. the game will look the exact same (basically), but you'll get 60fps everywhere (save for a few populated/unoptimized areas..
'

Try running full screen an check the difference.
My graphics could only be used 100% when in full screen

It's just a matter of waiting for (hopefully) the next VU that addresses the recent lag issue.

Nothing worse than attempting to fix a PC problem that is completely out of your control.

To confirm its not your PC, its Entropia, run another game that you are familiar with, and if it runs as well or better than expected, then its just a waiting game. :tapfinger

You have a nice setup. Just take out draw distance(low) special when you in Troy server area. I am running a 3440x1440 with a gtx980ti. maxed out except draw distance and runs smooth.

Hmmm

I have seen a lot of folks with troubles with 8.1..Not sure what their rig was.
But good luck to you sbi.......:eyecrazy:

Last edited:
I have a high end rig as well, EU is the only game with problems as far as i can think of now... And I'm not talking about migration with 100 green dots kind of problems. Make conclusions yourself...

With a bit of tinkering I can easily get 60+ fps. (i.e. draw distance a bit down). But currently working to solve the 'failed' messages when using a tool. I assume they are gfx related but it may be wrong. Devastating to gameplay though.

Anyone else suffered from excessive fails?

"Failed" has nothing to do with your hardware, only with connection (lost packets) or server side lag (hiccups between MA's servers), or combination of both.

Reactions: sbi
"Failed" has nothing to do with your hardware, only with connection (lost packets) or server side lag (hiccups between MA's servers), or combination of both.

Hmm interesting. I just moved the location of my router. Could try to change that back. The software running the wireless connection could also be an issue I guess?

Hmm interesting. I just moved the location of my router. Could try to change that back. The software running the wireless connection could also be an issue I guess?

Could be. Run "ping -t login.entropiauniverse.com" continuously - if you have no lost packets at all or get a "failed" without a concurrent hiccup in the ping listing, it's not on your side.

Quick update... the tool fails stopped completely after I moved the router closer to my computer. :yay::yay:

So now the only question remaining is if I can tweek my computer to perform better with the highest gfx settings.

Wireless generally sucks for gaming. Get on an Ethernet cable so you have a dedicated channel and know your packets arrive when you expect them, not interfered by other transmitters or your missus turning on the microwave.

And yes, this advice comes from a guy who worked with teams defining 802.11 before it was called WiFi and whose laptop did the world's first roaming from an 802.11b to a 802.11g Access Point back in 2001.

Yes, definitely get wired if you can.
Your rigs better than mine, but I have all maxed except draw distance. Loads of green dots kills it for me, anywhere else it's fine.

There are a few places tho, that if you look in a certain direction out in the wild, your fps takes a massive hit, the pvp island in the centre of Calypso for example.

Run 1920*1200 full screen btw.

With a bit of tinkering I can easily get 60+ fps. (i.e. draw distance a bit down). But currently working to solve the 'failed' messages when using a tool. I assume they are gfx related but it may be wrong. Devastating to gameplay though.

Anyone else suffered from excessive fails?
Yes.
I had this problem with my Alienware laptop, Turns out the issue for me was something to do with the wifi, either the card or the killer network controller, maybe even the router...either way bad packets were being thrown all over. If I have a hard connection to the router there are no issues at all, If I use wifi, this will happen from time to time.

The rig is sufficient enough to run Entropia at max, i do suggest switching to a ethernet cable instead of wireless.

Quick update... the tool fails stopped completely after I moved the router closer to my computer. :yay::yay:

So now the only question remaining is if I can tweek my computer to perform better with the highest gfx settings.

Hello sbi,

Have you tried to add Entropia.exe to your Nvidia 3D option list and let the software choose what is the best options?
This has done wonders with my old Geforce 9500 GT card.;)
Cheers

Hello sbi,

Have you tried to add Entropia.exe to your Nvidia 3D option list and let the software choose what is the best options?
Cheers

You mean I let the Nvidia software decide? I will try :)

You mean I let the Nvidia software decide? I will try :)

Yep, it also works well with the Geforce GTX 960.;)

When you logon after Nvidia has decide what is best you will see on what settings every options stands.:D

Hope you get it worked out and it should do "Awesome" with your gaming rig.:yup:
Cheers

It would basically decrease the quality to improve performance - OP could as well do it manually in EU's options while having wider control over it. But the goal apparently is to maximize performance without sacrificing anything :).

On my gtx980 I have ~50 fps at 2560x1440 with all setting on very high, and ~100 fps if I slightly sacrifice one of 2 things - either draw distance or terrain quality. Since I prefer to have the first as great as possible and don't see much visual difference between the terrain quality on max and on 1/2, I decrease the latter.

It would basically decrease the quality to improve performance - OP could as well do it manually in EU's options while having wider control over it. But the goal apparently is to maximize performance without sacrificing anything :).

On my gtx980 I have ~50 fps at 2560x1440 with all setting on very high, and ~100 fps if I slightly sacrifice one of 2 things - either draw distance or terrain quality. Since I prefer to have the first as great as possible and don't see much visual difference between the terrain quality on max and on 1/2, I decrease the latter.

Hmm seems like my rig is underperforming compared to yours. Can I ask what you get in 3d mark? And did you overclock/download special drivers etc?

first of all, its sad that the entropia universe platform still performs that glitchy and beta-ish in some situations, so many stuff never got fixed and/or finished... but anyway, today its still better as 2 years ago...

There is a tool called Razer Cortex, it miproves performance for every game you want to it. Its completly free and helps a lot. There are also some other features like screenshot and video recording, but i just used the game boost yet. Im using it with entropia myself, but you just have to add the game to tool manually as auto detect is not working with entropia. I get at least 10 fps more with boost on...

and btw you have a pretty impressive gaming rig :eyecrazy: :tongue2: :bowdown:

Last edited:
Hmm seems like my rig is underperforming compared to yours. Can I ask what you get in 3d mark? And did you overclock/download special drivers etc?

Results are predictably worse than yours, at least in Fire Strike. I probably just play in less populated places than you do :)

The card is factory overclocked Asus Strix, no user overclock beyond that. The CPU and RAM are overclocked (3.3->4.4ghz and 2800->3200mhz) but that unlikely affects graphics performance.

Results are predictably worse than yours, at least in Fire Strike. I probably just play in less populated places than you do :)

The card is factory overclocked Asus Strix, no user overclock beyond that. The CPU and RAM are overclocked (3.3->4.4ghz and 2800->3200mhz) but that unlikely affects graphics performance.

Looks good :) Seems like my physics score is the culprit here. It is constantly somewhat lower than yours.

I'm tempted to try overclocking a bit but will need to look into that lol.

It may decrease the quality but at least it does set it where it is working without issues.;)
And you could adjust it manually a bit like i did till one is happy with it but in my case it has help me out since this old card was giving me some issues.
Depending on ones rig one will have to sacrifice something but if your rig is good enough than all should be just fine at High and even Very High settings.:yay:
I do like to have the draw distance(medium) and terrain quality(100%) as high as possible so i must sacrifice the part of being in the cities where it does slow me down but since i'm most of the time just standing there viewing the auction it is all good.:yup:
At your resolution and quality settings EU should look like "Awesome".:cool::wtg:
Cheers

Back