Help: Gold Card DEAD!

KullXP

Prowler
Society
~ZEN~
Kull KullXP Holland
deactivated

Last edited:
It's nearly always the GC reader, not the GC itself.
(Unless the dog or the baby chews on it ofc)

So .. tried replacing the batteries?
See this thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?88274-GoldCard-Reader-101

If you carry card with you every day, the card will also break. Happened to me last week, contacted support and they already sent out new card, which should arrive sometime this week.
Also they offered me if i want they can remove gold card log in option until i get the card, but i declined as i have too much stuff on my avatar(they recommended that i shouldnt remove the gold card, as they also saw items on my avatar). So OP if you want to play, then use some extra safe password and ask them to remove gold card until it arrives.

If card breaks the reader will also only give out error 72. (in my case i also managed to destroy the reader so waiting for both)

Too bad you can't order new before the old goes dead.

Thanks Sercia, I will give it a try! That is a lifesaver post.

I keep my gold card in an card holder so it has no damage other then from the sliding in and out of the 3 prongs that touch the chip.

I use Isopropyl Alcohol or "Contact cleaner" on the reader and card chip, only need a very small amount on a cotton bud.

Dirk

I just gave it a go Dirk, I think its the batterys maybe. But that is another good tip.

Its very late here I work nights so ill have to wait for store to open to try the battery option.

I just gave it a go Dirk, I think its the batterys maybe. But that is another good tip.

Its very late here I work nights so ill have to wait for store to open to try the battery option.

There are numerous stores that are open 24/7, like Walgreens and I think most CVS stores. Although if you live in a small town or somewhere out in the boonies then I can see where that would be a problem.

Try taking the batteries out and swapping them around the other way.
(Might get just one more reading out of it ... D:)

The CR2016 are dead common, and available (here in Australia anyway) nearly anywhere you can buy any battery - supermarkets, department stores, etc. (Target here sells a pack of 4 for $5).
If desperate, try ransacking any electronic equipment you've got at home - calculators, camera equipment, stopwatches, keyless entry buttons, garage door remotes and so on.

It's nearly always the GC reader, not the GC itself.
(Unless the dog or the baby chews on it ofc)

So .. tried replacing the batteries?
See this thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?88274-GoldCard-Reader-101

Also you might wanna check if batteries are ok. If you don't get anything displayed, then another cause might be an imperfect pin contact. You have to open the reader anyway to change the batteries, you can also check if the single pin is ok. Let me explain: there are 7 pins on your card reader inside, 6 grouped (3+3) and a single one. If you press the single one you should get Error 72(because the other 6 are not reading anything), if you get error 72 written clearly then batteries are ok and all you have to do is to try to raise it up a bit with a needle or something, test it out then screw it back and you're good to go.

Good luck!

Mine still runs on the original batteries after 8+ years of daily use and traveling with me everywhere, but a few months ago I started getting the Error 72 too regularly - apparently, the grooves on the card's contacts had become too deep for a good connection. I took the reader apart and bent its contacts up a bit, and since then it works as new.

Nothing at all displays.

Thankfully I have about 4 keyless entry devices. 6 if you count the 2 that activate and deactivate home security / unlock doors. I hope the ones to my vehicles have them ^^ would hate to mess up on the other.

Going to give it a go ill update soon!

Just did a barrtery transplant from my security system Keyfob, managed to hit the panic button tring to pry it apart. So I ended up putting on a light and sound show for the neighbors at 2 am in the morning :wtg:

It was a SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks for all the help!!! Im back up and running again!!!
<3<3<3

Thanks guys for all the information and help!

The battery was CR2016 as Sercia listed
Lithium 3V Battery

Just did a barrtery transplant from my security system Keyfob, managed to hit the panic button tring to pry it apart. So I ended up putting on a light and sound show for the neighbors at 2 am in the morning :wtg:

^ LMAO, a true addict! :laugh:

Dirk

Too bad you can't order new before the old goes dead.

I don't think that is right anymore. I know someone who ordered a new one recenty, and continued to use the old one right up until the new one arrived. There was no interruption.

I know that problem with the empty battery... happens to me on an saturday night for some months. the problem is here in europe (i comes from germany and i think kull comes from netherland) that in the night or sundays only gasoline stations have open...

This may also just be the "on switch" not working, not neccesarily flat batteries. But give it a try. I had to wiggle mine for a few years until I noticed the batteries had bad contact with the circuit board.

To test the reader vs card, just insert the card upside down and see if you get an error message. If not, reader is dead.

I know that problem with the empty battery... happens to me on an saturday night for some months. the problem is here in europe (i comes from germany and i think kull comes from netherland) that in the night or sundays only gasoline stations have open...

We have 24 hour supermarkets in the UK, but the nearest often can be the 24 hour petrol station.

It's usually dust / fluff clogging the reader, I'm still on the original battery, they can last for over 10 years just lighting up a LCD display for a couple of minutes a day (as long as you dont leave it displayed overnight) ;)

Glad you got it sorted KullXP!

Back