Keyboard from laptop starts to go bad, what to do?

Ardorj

Elite
Society
NBK Rangers
Ardorj-Njarr
Like said in the title. Some keys are very hard to use lately, sometimes they do work, like 5 min. per hour. It's about the keys backspace, slash under backspace, enter under that key, arrow down & right. Typing starts to be a real pain in the ass and it feels like some other keys are starting to suffer from it too. Specially chatting ingame, because I'm prone to type a bit to fast and thus make a mistake. Mix that with a bit of perfectionism and well ... I just want to use that backspace, and that "Enter" is enter-chat key. :smash:

I contacted the support from the laptop, it's an ~2,5 year old Acer Aspire V3-771 by the way, and got a replay that I could send it for repair because the keyboard is defect. They didn't say how expensive that would be, so I asked for a price indication. Got a new replay with that, but it says "LCD Module" for the replacement part, wich in my noob-mind sounds too much like the screen and too little like the keyboard. :scratch2:

Waiting for their reply why they want to replace the LCD-screen when the keyboard is going defect. Now I'm thinking about the options that I have. :lam:
1. Let them repair the laptop, they said it's about 45 EUR ... "LCD Module" .
2. Buy an external keyboard, I've seen keyboard going for 30-40 EUR ... kinda nullifies the laptop idea.
3. Buy a new laptop, this one costed about 650 EUR ... apart from the keyboard it still works just fine I guess.
4. Other options what to do/ how I may go about solving the problem myself/ some good advice ???

If you want you can buy a simpel keyboard for like 7 Euros or a gaming keyboard for more then 100 - I guess I had looked for a good deal between those and would get a better keyboard then laptops usually have

I wouldnt repair a 2,5 year old laptop in this case I guess, this is broken or outdated anyway soon to you wasted those 45 Euros, but you can keep the extern keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V...pebp=1437497922727&perid=0HDCQ245YM7R1D8B6K17

Super cheap, super easy to replace, I did it in my acer.

You dont even need to open up the laptop, the keyboard is just clicked into place from the top.

Run a knife around the edge of the keyboard bracket to open the clips and pry it out,

unlock the clasp on the ribbon and remove the old one,

lay the ribbon from the new keyboard into place,

secure the clip that holds the Ribbon

then press the keyboard down into the hole and it will clip itself in.

DONE.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll search for a replacement-keyboard myself and try to do it myself. It looks easy enough on the internet ... I am, however, not always so handy with such things. I think that in the worst case it will take me an hour, in stead of 6 min. you see on the instruction videos lol.

Stop playing e.u. with a laptop. Quick keys wear out too fast...

Swapping keyboards on a laptop is generally quite easy but get the model number from your one first as sometimes a manufacturer can use 2-3 different ones on a range. Usually it's on a sticker on the back of the keyboard.

Also make sure your buy the correct one for your language, sometimes people will list keyboards as compatible but not the language their for.

Last edited:
Got an answer from the Acer Support. The listed LCD Module was a mistake ofcourse, keyboard replacement done by them will cost me >80 EUR now lol.
Looks like I've got a bit of a special model, yet I am searching and finding a few. Looks like it will cost me 30-35 EUR and a lot of frustration and cursewords to get the repairing down myself :laugh:

Got an answer from the Acer Support. The listed LCD Module was a mistake ofcourse, keyboard replacement done by them will cost me >80 EUR now lol.
Looks like I've got a bit of a special model, yet I am searching and finding a few. Looks like it will cost me 30-35 EUR and a lot of frustration and cursewords to get the repairing down myself :laugh:

Its a very easy process so you should be fine.
Externally changeable keyboards are real joy to change compared to models with the keyboard mounted under the front panel, where you'd basically have to disassemble the whole laptop :)

What kind of special model is it btw (i.e. whats different)?

Most of the time the tricky thing with replacing laptop keyboards is reconnecting the short, plastified flatcable attached at the bottomside of it. Also the detaching of it while carefully lifting the unscrewed keyboard without damaging it.

With gaming laptops (macro keys/lights etc.) there can be multiple of these flatcables. Their connectors on the laptop must be either slid or flipped open/shut. Just make sure to align the flatcable properly when inserting it and be careful not to tear it when moving the keyboard around. Position the KB in the placeholders usually located at the bottom before tightening the topside of it with the screws.

Finding the screws to release the keyboard is often not hard.

You should be able to find a video or a manual to show the process. Youtube has a lot of repair / replacement procedures for various makes and models.

Not a nice job from the looks of it, most just unhook from the top and come right out but I usually buy business machines from HP or Dell which tend to be more modular.

Last edited:
Really, stop using your laptop keyboard and fix it. Only use it when you are mobile.
Then add a USB mechanical keyboard like a Razer (hot key configurable for EU)
or a Bluetooth Logitech for general use ....USB wired is better!
Don't smoke drink near your keyboard and occasionally run the Vacuum cleaner (open nozzle) over it to suck the nasty dust out with your laptop off.
Don't use your laptop in bed of on a soft surface that may occlude the ventilation system.
Remember Keyboards, Laptop or other are a hub for pathogens / infection, especially mobile phones and require alcohol wipe cleansing (particularly in the workplace)

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2015/07/13/4266505.htm

I fixed it! It took me literally hours to get it done, while I had to remove every single piece, or like montekis said:
montekis said:
Externally changeable keyboards are real joy to change compared to models with the keyboard mounted under the front panel, where you'd basically have to disassemble the whole laptop :)
Quess wich kind I have? lol

I started yestereve with opening, but searched too long for a hidden screw. Then I found a really good video that showed it all, step by step by screw. More then an hour into the job I got to some very tiny screws. Of course, I didn't had a screwdriver for that size and neither had my neighbours. Shops were closed for 10 minutes, bought a new one this morning. With that one I could unscrew the last few, I counted 49 in all ... although I do remember one falling into the innerparts, but never coming out. Reconnection the keyboard flatcables and other connections was excually the easy part if you ask me. Took me too long to replace every single screw back in too ... and I now have 2 spare lol.

It was terrible, but it works again as it should! It feels much smoother too when typing, dunno how to explain this feeling. All other things work too (that I've tested/ used so far).
:wtg::lam::wtg:

Really, stop using your laptop keyboard and fix it. Only use it when you are mobile.
Then add a USB mechanical keyboard like a Razer (hot key configurable for EU)
or a Bluetooth Logitech for general use ....USB wired is better!
Don't smoke drink near your keyboard and occasionally run the Vacuum cleaner (open nozzle) over it to suck the nasty dust out with your laptop off.
Don't use your laptop in bed of on a soft surface that may occlude the ventilation system.
Remember Keyboards, Laptop or other are a hub for pathogens / infection, especially mobile phones and require alcohol wipe cleansing (particularly in the workplace)

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2015/07/13/4266505.htm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the best advice in this thread. I always use a wireless keyboard and mouse and keep the laptop well out of the way of my seat. I dont even use the laptop screen, which sounds paranoid but over the years my 2 sons have broken 2 keyboards and 2 screens on various laptops. I work away from my native country but always plug my laptop into a separate screen and have external keyboard and mouse. I carry the keyboard and mouse with the laptop and I very rarely do not use them.

Anyway GZ on finally fixing and sorry it was such a trial (most traditional keyboards are simple to fix but I to have come across ones that require the removal of dozens of screws.

Back