Windows 10 Issues

E-Lite.. Suggestion..

Stop trying to convince these guys that Windows 10 is ok to move to. Let them feel comfortable in the false thoughts that their information is safe and no one is sharing/selling it without their knowledge.

I agree. I'm a user of M$ products and liked XP and 7, but M$ was quite disingenuous in how they auto-opt in people to all their own spyware, just like every other spyware company out there...rather than having opt-out as default and asking if you WANT to opt-in. They bury the info on this deep deep in their EULA. Most users aren't going to even do a Custom install, but that's not the user's fault.

I also laugh whenever someone says something doesn't work in Win 10 (or whatever), and somebody's genius reply is "I didn't have any problems at all". Yeah right, like YOUR computer is the exactly the same as EVERYONE ELSE'S. :dunce:

Windows computers are like snowflakes--no two are the same. Just because something worked fine for you is totally irrelevant to practically anyone else--unless you're discussing a group of computers that all run the same image, immediately after imaging them.

Having used Windows 10 for a few hours I just get the gut feeling that businesses and educational institutions won't be making the leap any time soon if at all.

Yes you can find all the security issues and turn them on or off but you need to know about them first and I know plenty of people who really don't have a clue about their machines capabilities.

I've know people who've clicked on that web pop-up that says 'you've got a virus!' and paid for scan. I even know one who let someone remote onto their machine because someone from 'Windows' phoned them up and said they had a virus and they were calling to help sort it out, in that case someone was on hand to stop them.

The problem isn't for the tech savvy it's for everyone else.

Little late to the game on this thread, but just my two cents:

At least in America, after net neutrality was overturned ISPs were given the right to monitor your network traffic without disclosing it to you.

Websites collect your data all the time, and most of us voluntarily put our personal information out on the web in one form or another anyway. Even if you don't use facebook, if you've ever ordered anything from eBay, or checked online banking, your information has been momentarily visible in the internet world.

Additionally, most places that have rewards cards sell your information to 3rd parties, which puts your information on the internet.

And, lastly, services like smart phones, tablets etc. already collect anything and everything about you. Anyone remember the big scandal about Apple collecting and storing location data without consent a year or two ago?

....all I'm saying is that Microsoft was one of the last companies /services to jump on the "we're watching you" train. So there's really no sense in resisting the upgrade because of that. :wise:

Windows 10 Will support directx 9 so long as you have the latest drivers for your video card, and that your video card will support windows 10.

If you want to be relatively sure that you can upgrade and play, look up the reviews on your card's compatibility with win10. If it looks good, odds are you're probably in the clear.

If it isn't, talk to your nearest nerd. Most of us can ramble off driver compatibility pretty easily in a broad, generalized sense. :laugh:

Having used Windows 10 for a few hours I just get the gut feeling that businesses and educational institutions won't be making the leap any time soon if at all.

Yes you can find all the security issues and turn them on or off but you need to know about them first and I know plenty of people who really don't have a clue about their machines capabilities.

I've know people who've clicked on that web pop-up that says 'you've got a virus!' and paid for scan. I even know one who let someone remote onto their machine because someone from 'Windows' phoned them up and said they had a virus and they were calling to help sort it out, in that case someone was on hand to stop them.

The problem isn't for the tech savvy it's for everyone else.

Most businesses and educational facilities use active directory... settings are never turned off at the client level unless you're a very small business. This is all controlled centrally.

*edited to add content*

This thread is retarded.

People complaining about windows 10 are retarded.

You are playing a Windows based game. Windows 7 is nearing its end of cycle.

Enjoy windows 8! I'm happily gaming away on windows 10, and doing it without all the Cortana bloatware (except of course on my phone) that people are complaining about. Its ridiculously easy to get rid of. All you need to do is follow some directions that Windows 10 actually provides on the screen while you're setting it up.

Oh, it's also nice to have my desktop, my HTPC, my laptop, my virtual desktop at work, my windows 2012 R2 servers, and my phone all syncing up how I would like them to.

Even factoring in domain protection, my VPN and its various rules, and HIPAA concerns, the sync went flawlessly, and now I can be a fully functional sysadmin without the need for extraneous tools like LogMeIn.

As an advanced IT professional I rather enjoy Windows 10. But hey, you kids keep griping.

This thread is retarded.

People complaining about windows 10 are retarded.

You are playing a Windows based game. Windows 7 is nearing its end of cycle.

Enjoy windows 8! I'm happily gaming away on windows 10, and doing it without all the Cortana bloatware (except of course on my phone) that people are complaining about. Its ridiculously easy to get rid of. All you need to do is follow some directions that Windows 10 actually provides on the screen while you're setting it up.

Oh, it's also nice to have my desktop, my HTPC, my laptop, my virtual desktop at work, my windows 2012 R2 servers, and my phone all syncing up how I would like them to.

Even factoring in domain protection, my VPN and its various rules, and HIPAA concerns, the sync went flawlessly, and now I can be a fully functional sysadmin without the need for extraneous tools like LogMeIn.

As an advanced IT professional I rather enjoy Windows 10. But hey, you kids keep griping.

We bow down to your superiority, 'o' exalted one. :bowdown: :handjob:

Yeah, the post was a bit harsh, but the main message of the post was pretty accurate. All the complains about privacy issues in Windows 10 is based on inexperience, and very often boosted by rumors created by non-techie people and "tech blogs" driven by writers that has no experience what so ever in the field.

Bottom line is, Windows 10 doesn't expose anyone's privacy more or less than Windows 7/8.x does. Anyone claiming anything else simply doesn't understand what they are talking about.

I'm an "advanced IT professional" too, but felt no need to brag about it. :)

And today, I noticed something even more disturbing about Microsoft, they're REALLY being aggressive in pushing Windows 10 Upgrade through as a Windows update. My users are getting a new prompt--not just the "Get Windows 10" Systray icon that the average user can't make disappear (the only way to remove it is to uninstall KB3035583, then run Windows Update and manually HIDE it)--now, M$ is practically forcing through Windows 10 Pro Upgrade just by having a user click "Install updates"!

I don't have time to upload all the screenshots I just took about this...but suffice to say, the only way to NOT install Windows 10--which is a serious consideration for an enterprise, as it's a 2.8 GB download that ALL USERS will be doing, unbeknownst to them, that is masked as an UPDATE, not an UPGRADE. Incredible.

I've been a M$ user and even partial fan for some time, but this is extremely heavy-handed and disturbing--especially at the enterprise level.

Last edited:

And today, I noticed something even more disturbing about Microsoft, they're REALLY being aggressive in pushing Windows 10 Upgrade through as a Windows update. My users are getting a new prompt--not just the "Get Windows 10" Systray icon that the average user can't make disappear (the only way to remove it is to uninstall KB3035583, then run Windows Update and manually HIDE it)--now, M$ is practically forcing through Windows 10 Pro Upgrade just by having a user click "Install updates"!

I don't have time to upload all the screenshots I just took about this...but suffice to say, the only way to NOT install Windows 10--which is a serious consideration for an enterprise, as it's a 2.8 GB download that ALL USERS will be doing, unbeknownst to them, that is masked as an UPDATE, not an UPGRADE. Incredible.

I've been a M$ user and even partial fan for some time, but this is extremely heavy-handed and disturbing--especially at the enterprise level.

This update is not rolled out on a Enterprise connected computer. Only to stand-alone consumer installations. The update is only "forced" to Windows 7 stand alone consumer computers because Windows 7 mainstream support ended in January 2015 and is not supported anymore.

Last edited:
Okay here goes. This is what pisses me off with Microsoft. Get a prompt that Windows updates are available; so the everyday user sees this:

get_10_a.jpg

And clicks "Get Started"--and begins a 2.8 GB download process. NOT a great idea if you're in a corporation! Even if you click "Show all available updates":

get_10_b_493564.jpg

...And uncheck/hide KB3035583, then click to install the remaining updates, you get this:

decline_10.jpg

Have a close look at that verbiage. Notice how the title bar only says "Windows update", and NOWHERE in the window does it make it obvious that you're ONLY installing Windows updates; only if you read the fine print in small font at the very bottom do you see the words "Windows 10". Wow.

But even when you DECLINE, then install the remaining updates, you get a prompt that Optional Updates are Available; if you click that, you see this:

after_decline_10.jpg

Un-frickin'-BELIEVABLE. This isn't about one solo user accidentally installing Windows 10 masked-as-an-update, it has serious implications at the corporate level. Does a corporation want all their users upgrading to Windows 10, unbeknownst-to-them, dozens or hundreds of 2.8 GB downloads sucking up bandwidth, not even to mention unforeseen compatibility issues??

What other kind of software sneaks its way onto your computer like this, making you read the fine print, click and click and click, to get it NOT to install? SPYWARE.

This update is not rolled out on a Enterprise connected computer. Only to stand-alone consumer installations. The update is only "forced" to Windows 7 stand alone consumer computers because Windows 7 mainstream support ended in January 2015 and is not supported anymore.

WRONG. See my screenshots, taken from a corporate laptop this morning with enterprise licensing of Windows 7 Professional.

Last edited:
The update is only "forced" to Windows 7 stand alone consumer computers because Windows 7 mainstream support ended in January 2015 and is not supported anymore.

Since when does support ending on something require a forced upgrade to something else? People paid for Windows 7, NOT Windows 10...and should be able to use it as long as they bloody well want, WITHOUT having 10 snuck through as an update! People should have the option to get Windows 10 on THEIR terms...NOT Microsoft's!

I'm flabbergasted that people like you can't grasp the serious lack of ethics about this "upgrade".

Reactions: San
Since when does support ending on something require a forced upgrade to something else? People paid for Windows 7, NOT Windows 10...and should be able to use it as long as they bloody well want, WITHOUT having 10 snuck through as an update! People should have the option to get Windows 10 on THEIR terms...NOT Microsoft's!

I'm flabbergasted that people like you can't grasp the serious lack of ethics about this "upgrade".

I am looking at it from a life cycle service perspective. If Windows 7 users did not get this update, well then they would whine about THAT instead. Microsoft want people to move from an obsolete Windows version as soon as possible since support has ended.

Oh, I doubt you'd hear Windows 7 users whining about "upgrading" to 10. Most of them are quite satisfied with 7. The only reason the upgrade to 10 is "free" is because users are potentially sacrificing so much personal info, metrics, statistics & analytics to Microsoft via all the spying.

Oh, I doubt you'd hear Windows 7 users whining about "upgrading" to 10. Most of them are quite satisfied with 7. The only reason the upgrade to 10 is "free" is because users are potentially sacrificing so much personal info, metrics, statistics & analytics to Microsoft via all the spying.

As already covered, Windows 7 users do not reveal more nor less of their privacy than what Windows 10 users do.

Even though I consider malware/spyware removal an expertise of mine--I know most of the places it likes to hide in the Registry, how to manually remove most of it and certainly cripple it enough to triage the harm it can do--and I know where Microsoft likes to hide their own spyware settings in Task Scheduler (run as Administrator, then look for "Application Experience" and "Customer Experience Improvement Program")--I confess to having a healthy paranoia about spyware in general...ESPECIALLY when it's implemented in nefarious, un-obvious ways in supposedly "free" software "upgrades".

So, I believe that I've been very detailed in much of my commentary here, I'm not just making empty proclamations of my superiority or opinions. If anybody wants to take up this debate, you better get detailed with your supporting evidence...or don't bother.

Last edited:

Ummm, Extended support for Windows 7 is good till Jan 14th, 2020 which means users can still receive Security Updates till that date.

That being said, M$ tried sending an update down the road to pull in those that had not upgraded yet and either don't care or don't pay attention to what patches they are loading. Is it dishonest? :dunno:

But I always make sure my customers understand that they should read the docs on the patches and make sure they apply to their machines. If there is a doubt, don't load it and call someone who knows (ME)..

There's nothing exalted about me.

I just seem to be able to read and follow instructions, which I have learned is a skill many people do not possess.

I do not sympathize with laziness or willful ignorance, and that lack of sympathy may have come off on this thread.

Someone needs to say it, though.

Ummm, Extended support for Windows 7 is good till Jan 14th, 2020 which means users can still receive Security Updates till that date.

That being said, M$ tried sending an update down the road to pull in those that had not upgraded yet and either don't care or don't pay attention to what patches they are loading. Is it dishonest? :dunno:

But I always make sure my customers understand that they should read the docs on the patches and make sure they apply to their machines. If there is a doubt, don't load it and call someone who knows (ME)..

Getting updates for Windows 7 and getting "support" is not the same thing. Extended support is something you pay extra for, and it is quite expensive. Main stream support for Windows 7 has expired. There's no way for Windows 7 users to get support from Microsoft for their Windows problems other than paying a pretty hefty fee.

I've seen these kind of 'discussions' since Win98 vs XP and even before.

I dont think I've ever seen anyone ever change their opinion. If anything, people get more "dug in"

tug-of-war.jpg

I'm not changing my opinon, and no amount of people showing their certification will alter it. I'm staying Windows 7 until I have to change, also no amount of tinfoil hat pictures or name calling will alter that position.

If you upgraded to Win10 and love it, great! I bet you also loved Win8 too. :)

If you upgraded to Win10 and love it, great! I bet you also loved Win8 too. :)

:laugh: Touché! And Vista...and Millenium Edition... :rolleyes:

However, in those cases, those weren't pushed down users' throat as a Windows update.

Last edited:

Umm.
Active Directory GPO has policies to turn off the upgrade.
If you're in a business environment, just turn it off through group policy by blocking that KB.

I think, really, that as IT professionals, Microsoft expects us to know how to turn it off. It's targeted at home users.
If a company's network admins don't turn it off and someone upgrades... well.... I've fired network administrators for that.

Okay here goes. This is what pisses me off with Microsoft. Get a prompt that Windows updates are available; so the everyday user sees this:

get_10_a.jpg

And clicks "Get Started"--and begins a 2.8 GB download process. NOT a great idea if you're in a corporation! Even if you click "Show all available updates":

get_10_b_493564.jpg

...And uncheck/hide KB3035583, then click to install the remaining updates, you get this:

decline_10.jpg

Have a close look at that verbiage. Notice how the title bar only says "Windows update", and NOWHERE in the window does it make it obvious that you're ONLY installing Windows updates; only if you read the fine print in small font at the very bottom do you see the words "Windows 10". Wow.

But even when you DECLINE, then install the remaining updates, you get a prompt that Optional Updates are Available; if you click that, you see this:

after_decline_10.jpg

Un-frickin'-BELIEVABLE. This isn't about one solo user accidentally installing Windows 10 masked-as-an-update, it has serious implications at the corporate level. Does a corporation want all their users upgrading to Windows 10, unbeknownst-to-them, dozens or hundreds of 2.8 GB downloads sucking up bandwidth, not even to mention unforeseen compatibility issues??

What other kind of software sneaks its way onto your computer like this, making you read the fine print, click and click and click, to get it NOT to install? SPYWARE.

Group Policy, block the update, gpupdate /force the machines.

I'm pretty sure it has always done that -just in a different way. Before, it was done by making everything stop supporting the older version of windows by implementing a new .NET framework. This time, they didn't do that, and instead are upgrading you through an update. Honestly, this is less expensive and less painful then just letting someone fall into obsolescence and then charging them a left testicle for an upgrade, which essentially forces them to buy a new PC because the upgrade is cost prohibitive.

That's correct. But, everyone else is already collecting it. Are you really giving away anything you haven't already given away to Facebook, Apple, your post-neutrality-overturn-ISP or Google?

Even though I consider malware/spyware removal an expertise of mine--I know most of the places it likes to hide in the Registry, how to manually remove most of it and certainly cripple it enough to triage the harm it can do--and I know where Microsoft likes to hide their own spyware settings in Task Scheduler (run as Administrator, then look for "Application Experience" and "Customer Experience Improvement Program")--I confess to having a healthy paranoia about spyware in general...ESPECIALLY when it's implemented in nefarious, un-obvious ways in supposedly "free" software "upgrades".

So, I believe that I've been very detailed in much of my commentary here, I'm not just making empty proclamations of my superiority or opinions. If anybody wants to take up this debate, you better get detailed with your supporting evidence...or don't bother.

There's really no point in arguing. The reality is that data collection is inevitable. Whether you jump on board now or in 2 years when the next .NET framework comes out and 7 is made virtually useless is up to you. But, we're at their mercy unless your next upgrade is into linux - and even then, you have to watch yourself.

Might as well just recognize now that we are using THEIR products. They will collect our information. We either consent or stop using it. Those are our options. Holding off on the upgrade over this is like holding your breath underwater when you know there's no way to the surface. You're just delaying the inevitable.

To end this argument:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle#gp/lifePolicy
Windows provides standard support to all operating systems for 2 years after the release of that OS's Successor. That means standard support for 7 Ended in January. However, extended support DOES include security updates, and that will be until 2020. However this will not include feature additions.

So, basically, if MS releases a new directX or .NET, 7 isn't going to get it. But they will send you security updates.

Yes, you have extended support. But within the year, you'll have extended support on an OS that has an obsolete browser, obsolete DX, obsolete .NET, etc. etc.

That's pretty much how that works. They're just giving you the chance to "get up to 10 now while the getting is good". Because, you know... the edge browser was designed to kill IE. Why do you think that is?

Because 7 isn't getting edge and everyone is dying to jump ship on IE.

Planned obsolescence.

Sources:
I'm a CIO.

The level of technical knowledge youre exhibiting in this thread tells me differently.

A real professional knows how to problem solve and does so without clear bias because their job is to understand things.

Your level of understanding is limited by your bias. Which is a good reason to not brag, in this case. Perhaps your other endeavors yield more success. There are plenty of CISCO and Unix folks that hate on Microsoft products. They're very capable admins of those systems, but dont know their way around windows at all.

Many times, instead of learning, they opt to complain and point out perceived deficiencies.

I see that as what's going on here. The original post was about graphics driver issues. 15 pages later have we helped at all with that, or are we just taking advantage of an opportunity to complain about a product because its trendy and cool to complain about it?

Frankly, I see this as a bunch of hacker 31337 3p33n bullshit, which if anyone talking on this windows thread is an IT pro, knows is the job you are probably getting paid to fix because the last guy insisted on doing things the hard way, instead of the smart way.

Last edited:
Frankly, I see this as a bunch of hacker 31337 3p33n bullshit, which if anyone talking on this windows thread is an IT pro, knows is the job you are probably getting paid to fix because the last guy insisted on doing things the hard way, instead of the smart way.

Whatever you say, J4CK455.

The level of technical knowledge youre exhibiting in this thread tells me differently.

A real professional knows how to problem solve and does so without clear bias because their job is to understand things.

Your level of understanding is limited by your bias. Which is a good reason to not brag, in this case. Perhaps your other endeavors yield more success. There are plenty of CISCO and Unix folks that hate on Microsoft products. They're very capable admins of those systems, but dont know their way around windows at all.

Many times, instead of learning, they opt to complain and point out perceived deficiencies.

I see that as what's going on here. The original post was about graphics driver issues. 15 pages later have we helped at all with that, or are we just taking advantage of an opportunity to complain about a product because its trendy and cool to complain about it?

You're right about the turn this thread took. Lots of "IT Pros" and no answers - people just throwing around :bs: trying to be smarter than everyone else.

I'm going to answer the original question now.

Unfortunately the reality is that driver support on win10 is up to the makers of that card.. there isn't much we can do about it other than just look at the driver reviews for that card. At the end of the day, entropia's compatibility with Windows 10 has nothing to do with MindArk or Windows. It's your GPU provider's responsibility to provide a well-functioning driver to interface your game with your machine.

In short: Just check GPU provider to see if it's compatible with win10. That is really the best advice anyone can give anyone about running Entropia on Windows 10. If you don't have a card and are running integrated graphics then you need to know the model of your motherboard. - and ask your motherboard provider the same thing about your integrated graphics / chipset.

This information should give you a strong handle on whether or not you can upgrade. The windows 10 upgrade service provides a hardware check which whill scan your base hardware for compatibility - but won't do your GPU. So, assuming you pass the scan and KNOW that your GPU is compatible with windows 10, you should be A-Okay to upgrade.

Simply Google: "(Make and Model Of card)" windows 10 driver compatibility
or: "(Make and Model of motherboard) chipset compatibility windows 10

Should give you everything you need to know if you take the time to do a little reading.

Whatever you say, J4CK455.

If you can't handle the heat you are most certainly in the wrong business, or more likely, not in the business at all. Most of us started in a call center - and the whole reason for that is to learn patience when dealing with individuals who have a lesser understanding of the equipment and provide them with a sense of security - not show off your tinfoil hat. All of my employees, even my network admins, work the call center for a few weeks. It's a reminder of how nasty people can be - you would be wise to remember that.

When you start offering solutions instead of highlighting problems, you become an IT professional. When you have problems with no solutions, you are an end-user, regardless of your actual technical skills.

/thread.

/mod note/
Without wanting to read through all the posts over the past few pages in detail, let me just remind you all that the topic of this thread is about: reporting (and hopefully helping to resolve) Windows 10 technical issues that directly relate to playing Entropia.
Graphics driver issues, installation/upgrade issues and the like.

If you want to debate the pros and cons of Windows 10 generally (or Windows, or Microsoft, or other IT products or the 'ooh nooo, my privacy is being invaded' shebang) there's a whole big wide world of the internet out there where you can do that. :wise:
I'd not be surprised if there were whole forums dedicated to that last one.

:topic:

Back