Compet Bulletin #7

Ok, anyone else remember back in the EF days when everyone made a My Brute toon? Same story, just a different spin.

mmmm. I'm trying to stay positive as I've been looking forward to Compet.

But this PVP city thing worries me?

Does that mean an ava with a Hogglo pet will rampage through the city and clean everyone out?
Can you be cleaned out when at work and not able to protect your things?
Can you move your hard earned resources to safe store, or at least some of it?

I don't mind it if its like a game, I've paid monthly fee for, but if I've got like $1000 (real money) in my city, and I log in after work and its GONE, I will just walk away and not come back.

I think we need some clarity please.

The thing is, I'd quite happily invest in my personal city building it up, and "pay" knowing I wont get robbed, and take pleasure in what I've developed.

We need some further clarity please.

Also will all pets currently in EU have access to Compet?
I'm torn if to continue skilling my RT panther to further levels, itf its's for nothing
What about the pets from storage boxes?
I'D FEEL CHEATED IF CURRENT SKILLED PETS, are not allowed in.

It's pretty obvious (although not confirmed) the dragons, devils and troxies are allowed in, as they're shown in the main Compet pics.

But what does this mean for other planet pets? are they responsible for producing new animations which will be linked to battles?

Thanks for update, all of them are appreciated, although please give us some clarity so we can have confidence with our current pets in game.

Thanks

Rick

They can't even make EU work correctly, how can anyone expect they will do any better with this?

no shit.

well only reason why cause it's super dumbed down software - I think most anyone with some comp. knowledge can make an app - but I'm not one so I can't say too much.

Here is what I saw when I read this announcement....

"bla bla bla bla bla"

Who cares, fix EU - add loot, remove lag, fix bugs - we don't want to hear about your side shit when our heart, sweat, blood, and tears are invested in this game that never feel reciprocated.

I've been meaning to dig this up for a while now. Of course, MA can change their minds at anytime, with little regard for player investments, but I am hopeful that at least some of this is still true.

We have also collected a number of relevant questions received from support cases and community discussions, which we hope to answer in this inaugural ComPet Bulletin.

It was announced that in the free-to-play portion of ComPet, one can win points. What are the points used for?
There will be multiple currencies in ComPet. ComPet points can be obtained through lots of dedication to the game, and used to upgrade your pets or home as an alternative to using PED that can be bought for real money.

Does this new project mean that MindArk’s development priorities have shifted away from Entropia Universe?
MindArk’s vision for Entropia Universe has always been about making the universe deeper and broader, with a variety of experiences and features available for participants of all interests. MindArk wishes to expand the RCE universe to improve the user experience while also creating more opportunities for participants to invest and earn profits. Introducing ComPet as a standalone game and connecting parts of it with Entropia Universe accomplishes both of those goals.
That being said, rest assured that MindArk will continue to develop the core Entropia Universe platform and content as it has done for over 10 years. Development of Entropia Universe will not be negatively affected in any way by the ComPet project.

Will all pets available in ComPet be inspired by Entropia Universe creatures, and will all pets used in ComPet be provided by Entropia Universe tamers and stables?
While the Entropia Universe taming system will definitely be a big part of the ComPet economy, not all ComPet pets will originate in Entropia Universe or be inspired by existing creatures. Many of the low-level ComPets will be generated by the ComPet system itself so that new players can get started right away. More details on the interaction between the Entropia Universe taming and stable systems and ComPet will be announced in the near future.

How does the ComPet app relate to the reimplemented Entropia Universe taming system that was announced not long ago?
As explained in the original ComPet announcement, the ‘traditional’ Entropia Universe taming system that was disabled after Version Update 10.0 will be reimplemented, with some exciting new features. In additon, the recently auctioned Entropia Universe stables will have the ability to sell pets and services to ComPet players.

Originally Posted Here

mmmm. I'm trying to stay positive as I've been looking forward to Compet.

But this PVP city thing worries me?

Does that mean an ava with a Hogglo pet will rampage through the city and clean everyone out?
Can you be cleaned out when at work and not able to protect your things?
Can you move your hard earned resources to safe store, or at least some of it?

I don't mind it if its like a game, I've paid monthly fee for, but if I've got like $1000 (real money) in my city, and I log in after work and its GONE, I will just walk away and not come back.

I think we need some clarity please.

The thing is, I'd quite happily invest in my personal city building it up, and "pay" knowing I wont get robbed, and take pleasure in what I've developed.

We need some further clarity please.

Also will all pets currently in EU have access to Compet?
I'm torn if to continue skilling my RT panther to further levels, itf its's for nothing
What about the pets from storage boxes?
I'D FEEL CHEATED IF CURRENT SKILLED PETS, are not allowed in.

It's pretty obvious (although not confirmed) the dragons, devils and troxies are allowed in, as they're shown in the main Compet pics.

But what does this mean for other planet pets? are they responsible for producing new animations which will be linked to battles?

Thanks for update, all of them are appreciated, although please give us some clarity so we can have confidence with our current pets in game.

Thanks

Rick

I dont know anything for certain, only MA people do, and they could change their mind before release.

First, stay calm.

Second, this is a separate game to Entropia, but with obvious links (that may or may not transfer across - thats not been made clear)

The best thing to do is try out similar mobile games that currently exist and are popular that play in a similar way as outlined above.

Finally, I'd advise you to relax, I dont think any pet you own in Entropia Universe can be affected by any you own in the ComPet universe, or if that is not the case, that will be spelt out implicitly in some kind of warning screen.

My hopes are that we can sell pets and stuff to the ComPets people through the stables, somehow. Maybe, we'll be able to join in arena battles with pets. Beyond that, I'm betting there is no connection.

My hopes are that we can sell pets and stuff to the ComPets people through the stables, somehow. Maybe, we'll be able to join in arena battles with pets. Beyond that, I'm betting there is no connection.

If people playing ComPets on their mobile phones can even say "hi" to people playing Entropia Universe I'll be surprised. They've never been able to using that "Virtual Tycoon" app.

Not to say they wont implement it at some stage, but It'll be like me phoning someone in Japan who doesn't speak English and chatting about the weather.

If people playing ComPets on their mobile phones can even say "hi" to people playing Entropia Universe I'll be surprised. They've never been able to using that "Virtual Tycoon" app.

Not to say they wont implement it at some stage, but It'll be like me phoning someone in Japan who doesn't speak English and chatting about the weather.

Not really. It's not like I expect to do P2P trades, but they could certainly set it up so that people can buy pets through an interface to stables or auctions. They basically say as much in Bulletin 1 that I quoted above. Even if they can only purchase from stable owners, at least we can supply them. Otherwise, MA blew a lot of time creating the Cryengine version of all of the pets that will be available in the HTML5 game.

Is anybody thinking about this seriously, or have most people decided not to bother spending time doing that?
Alternatively, just to have a good laugh with each announcement as it is more cheerful than crying?

Anyway, I have some questions:
1: will pets be transeferred to compet from EU only via stables?
2: will pets die from lost battles and city attacks?
3: will players get their one EU account extended to compet - and one city location - without any choice in the matter?
4: will ped transfers be possible one-way, two-way, or not at all? (only via pets themselves maybe)
5: will a semi-open beta already be linked to the EU economy? (or will all pets in beta be generated within compet)?
6: will there be a reset when the full launch comes?
7: when will that be?
8: will city attacks be resticted in some way by 'geography' or by player strengths (can only attack +- 100 places or so)?
9: it is expected by MA that most people will play in free mode. This requires resources to be gained on some kind of timer I imagine - and may form the second currency MA mentions. What will the position on having multiple avatars be, officially and in practice?
10: will compets be like a sort of permanent 'migration' - sucking player time away from EU planets and into compet?

11: I guess this one is: when will compet deeds start paying out? lol - Is more an afterthought there.....

One player - one city - pice of good server is needed.
100k players with 100k cityes need some kind of server park.
Are they running test version on EU servers now?

One player - one city - pice of good server is needed.
100k players with 100k cityes need some kind of server park.
Are they running test version on EU servers now?

Don't forget that it's a web-based 2D game, so no massive resource-hungry 3D locations. A "city" is just a fancy name for the stack of your global passive buffs (like, buy a building "Vet clinic" - get a +5 hp for all pets, etc) and won't take more that a few bytes.

All this is good news for entropia fans because compet is now looking like a real contender. I have a feeling they will reveal more new content for entropia as well.Plus for entropia as a non gaming platform.

I thought compet was completely seperate to PE????

Rgds

Ace

I thought compet was completely seperate to PE????

Rgds

Ace

That is how I understand it too, two different and separate games with no real direct connection. But they will probably ingrate some small thing that will connect them in someway to help promotion of EU from the app. But it will probably be a very minor thing.

Taken from the website:

"Will the ComPet app be available for iOS and Android devices?

The ComPet app will be offered as a standalone browser-based HTML5 application. This means it can be accessed from any platform or mobile device that has a modern web browser."

So, yes, it is doomed to fail, as it will not even be an app!! I have said this from the beginning. People are on tablets nowadays. They only play games from app store. This will not work in my arrogant opinion.

It is like they had a meeting, and someone said.
"How can we alienate most users?"
"Make it a browser and not an app game!"

Rgds

Ace

It is made in Unity and as such can be published to any platform supported by that engine, the first target is android tablets and phones.

It is made in Unity and as such can be published to any platform supported by that engine, the first target is android tablets and phones.

Does that mean it is going to be an app on google play store? Yes or no would suffice.

Rgds

Ace

Does that mean it is going to be an app on google play store? Yes or no would suffice.

Rgds

Ace

Uinity is a programming framework (so to say). It allows to use one code on several plattforms without a lot additional work (in most cases).

If you program something for the web only, you would never work with Unity. So it is absoluetly safe to assume, MA is working on apps, not websites (though it might be accessable on a website additionally).

But:
It is unlikely, but possible, that MA programs something, that violates the rules of the App stores. But if you look on the good work, that MA has done in the past 2 years, I am totally confident, they work on apps that will be accepted by both stores without problems.

3: will players get their one EU account extended to compet - and one city location - without any choice in the matter?
4: will ped transfers be possible one-way, two-way, or not at all? (only via pets themselves maybe)
5: will a semi-open beta already be linked to the EU economy? (or will all pets in beta be generated within compet)?
6: will there be a reset when the full launch comes?
8: will city attacks be resticted in some way by 'geography' or by player strengths (can only attack +- 100 places or so)?
9: it is expected by MA that most people will play in free mode. This requires resources to be gained on some kind of timer I imagine - and may form the second currency MA mentions. What will the position on having multiple avatars be, officially and in practice?
10: will compets be like a sort of permanent 'migration' - sucking player time away from EU planets and into compet?

Hi Kim,
I apologise for the parts of my last post that make it look like I/we are not taking compets seriously. I wasn't really considering that you would read comments...
Of my 11 questions, have any of them resulted in you taking a step back and thinking about perspectives from a different angle? I especially mean the questions I've quoted above.
Even if you cannot answer us with info, does what we post ever help you to think of consequences/development paths for specific decisions? (also game balance as players/cities grow)
I guess a simple yes or no is also ok for me here ;)

A slightly new angle: compets will be played on many devices with limited screens, so, with a lot of strategy involved, the graphics must be able to show balance, strong and weak areas, city development etc fairly simply, but still in detail. Also, relative strengths compared to other players I guess.
I think it will be quite hard for people to connect with their 'cities' as somewhere 'important' for development, defence etc., so good luck on that aspect too - just sayin' :)

Rgds

Ace
Kim|Calypso said:

Sounds like a yes, if the target is android tablets and phones, that is where to do it.

We wont see Apple I suspect unless its a big success, Apple wants too much just to publish an app to the apple store.

I've been working with Unity for 7 years now...I think its a great choice for an engine, because it is very easy to make a huge variety of content fairly cheap, and without much time wasted.

I encourage anyone to download it and mess around with some tutorials...though daunting...its quite fun, and you will see pretty quickly just how powerful it is. Between Blender and Unity (both free), you can make some very cool stuff.

Unity is fully capable to work as embedded web page games, like many found on Facebook, and many arcade type web games you might find. Many xbox/consoles , apple store/google play apps use Unity as well. And its already easily supported for many things like Oculus Rift ect.

Unity is powerful, the code is efficient. All of what they intend to add would be very easy to implement and its a great engine to use.

It should be able to be accessible on most platforms at some point if it is successful enough of course.

I've been a rethink, do whatever you think is right. PVP cities sounds quite interesting.

I'll go with the flow.

Rick

I've been a rethink, do whatever you think is right. PVP cities sounds quite interesting.

I'll go with the flow.

Rick

hmmm, how interesting it sounds depends to me a lot on how much is safe from attack, and whether there is a large difference between, for example, the initial build price of something and a repair price if damaged.

The example of motherships and other repairables in EU does give me hope that this design could be carried across to compet cities, as well as other things protected from lootable pvp in EU such as ped card and ammo...

One of the problems in our 'guessing' is that even if we disect each bulletin word by word, there is no guarantee of who is right, things that MA may still change etc. For the moment I am assuming that we will be able to keep favourite battle pets out of city defense duties if we want, as it would be rage time to lose a favourite pet overnight in a raid by someone else.... but there are probably dozens of details like this which MA can get wrong if designing in pvp.... so whatever MA do, I imagine biggish changes will need to me made from lessons learnt in beta, whenever that is....

Edit - afterthought... I mean, look at things MA still HAVEN'T implemented in EU, even though there have been big and long calls for them. The ability to lock items so we cannot tt them by accident, for example. The chances of losing certain pets might be much higher than losing items if we cannot lock them down, but so far MA either don't care or have their own agenda for what gets 'lost' by players. A massive increase in exposure might persuade MA to rethink their philosophy in compet, but not necessarily.

This is why I am not optimistic about unavoidable pvp implementation (city attacks) in compet!

Last edited:
hmmm, how interesting it sounds depends to me a lot on how much is safe from attack, and whether there is a large difference between, for example, the initial build price of something and a repair price if damaged.

The example of motherships and other repairables in EU does give me hope that this design could be carried across to compet cities, as well as other things protected from lootable pvp in EU such as ped card and ammo...

One of the problems in our 'guessing' is that even if we disect each bulletin word by word, there is no guarantee of who is right, things that MA may still change etc. For the moment I am assuming that we will be able to keep favourite battle pets out of city defense duties if we want, as it would be rage time to lose a favourite pet overnight in a raid by someone else.... but there are probably dozens of details like this which MA can get wrong if designing in pvp.... so whatever MA do, I imagine biggish changes will need to me made from lessons learnt in beta, whenever that is....

Edit - afterthought... I mean, look at things MA still HAVEN'T implemented in EU, even though there have been big and long calls for them. The ability to lock items so we cannot tt them by accident, for example. The chances of losing certain pets might be much higher than losing items if we cannot lock them down, but so far MA either don't care or have their own agenda for what gets 'lost' by players. A massive increase in exposure might persuade MA to rethink their philosophy in compet, but not necessarily.

This is why I am not optimistic about unavoidable pvp implementation (city attacks) in compet!

Stop thinking this will be like "PE", and start thinking it will be like "clash of clans"......save you a whole load of questions.

Rgds

Ace

I hear ya.
My rethinking was; say you're only really at risk when not online, then you should be able to convert any resource you made into your buildings before you log. So maybe only a small amount of resources at risk.

Then what if you're protecting your property with pets, and if people attempt to attack you and fail then you're rewarded. Meaning if you've got a lot of skilled pets you could earn from it.
Maybe you can only be attacked once in an amount of time, allowing you to regen your pets?

What if your city can't get attacked until your city reaches a certain starter level.

I'm sure MA are trying to make it entertaining, so I'll think I'll rather try it first see how it is, give it a chance.

Stop thinking this will be like "PE", and start thinking it will be like "clash of clans"......save you a whole load of questions.

Rgds

Ace

I've never played it Ace, although isn't compet cash economy? Whatever CoC's does surely that puts a whole different take on it.

I've never played it Ace, although isn't compet cash economy? Whatever CoC's does surely that puts a whole different take on it.

I am presuming, and i could be wrong. It will likely be similar to a lot of games on the play store, and will not be like PE at all. Look up clash of clans on the play store....

Rgds

Ace

Well Ace, I think similarity or not can be across various factors. For me, the fact that it is going to be RCE changes a lot.
I don't know whether cities will be on a 2-D grid, with different weaps and defenders in different spots, like in what you mentioned, or whether city strengths will be the result of adding various factors without any positional elements, but having 'lootable/destruction PVP' in an RCE adds a whole lot of big differences regardless of any similarities. I wasn't trying to limit my thinking to PE, but to follow thought pathways we know from the company/people doing the development ;)

Yeah Rick, your and my 'maybe this, maybe that' are unknowns at the moment - and it may be that good development is being done. However, as players of EU (with potential knowledge of space and land pvp, fort battles etc.), I suggest we cautiously try and tell MA/Kim that we are not too confident..... while hoping for something great and well thought out, though!

Well Ace, I think similarity or not can be across various factors. For me, the fact that it is going to be RCE changes a lot.
I don't know whether cities will be on a 2-D grid, with different weaps and defenders in different spots, like in what you mentioned, or whether city strengths will be the result of adding various factors without any positional elements, but having 'lootable/destruction PVP' in an RCE adds a whole lot of big differences regardless of any similarities. I wasn't trying to limit my thinking to PE, but to follow thought pathways we know from the company/people doing the development ;)

Yeah Rick, your and my 'maybe this, maybe that' are unknowns at the moment - and it may be that good development is being done. However, as players of EU (with potential knowledge of space and land pvp, fort battles etc.), I suggest we cautiously try and tell MA/Kim that we are not too confident..... while hoping for something great and well thought out, though!

It isn't going to be RCE from my understanding. Less than 20% of players are expected to actually put any real money into it to buy crap.

It isn't going to be RCE from my understanding. Less than 20% of players are expected to actually put any real money into it to buy crap.

I think I agree. In order for it to be a RCE, it needs to have an economy. Unless people are actually able to sell stuff to each other, there really isn't an economy, just microtransactions.

I think I agree. In order for it to be a RCE, it needs to have an economy. Unless people are actually able to sell stuff to each other, there really isn't an economy, just microtransactions.

Or perhaps it is. It is hard to guess from the compet page, I'm hoping the Beta gets released on time so we get to see it in action and stop guessing so much. The homepage does speak of real cash interactions rather than microtransactions.:)

--//--

Found something else of interest though, answering Ace's conserns above:

The COMPET Game which is built on the Backbone of the Entropia Universe Real Cash economy System will have a greater reach than all previous Entropia Universe Games as it is designed to be accessible on the Web through Browsers and as an App to anyone with a Smart Phone or Tablet

You are still thinking it is like PE.

There won't be lootable pvp. It will be attack a city, if you win, you gain some exp, which you can use to upgrade a pet.

Stuff like that, stop thinking PE. It will be a whole different type of game. Go on the store, download one of the myriad of games, and play it. You will understand.

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: until Kim turns around and says...."It is just like jetsina says"
EDIT2: Kim, i would still like a Yes or NO, to if its going to be an app on google play store?

Back