Alainax

Elite
Society
Hardcore
Bonnie
The parallels are slightly creepy! Windows Skynet/cloud :eyecrazy:
1661592703365811.jpg

Big countdown, 1 billion users... ugh!

Just been to see the Movie and right before it they played the Windows 10 commercial, for those who have seen the movie ( without spoiling it) did you also see how much the MS operating system is resembling Cyberdynes?

Even the new MS commercial wasn't far off the old skynet one from years ago ! :laugh:

Genisys - A global software programme linking and synchronising into every aspect and device in our lives. Very clever of the Terminator team, slightly terrifying of Microsoft!

That's it, I am un-scyncing the lot! I already find myself arguing with windows that I dont want it to sync everything to everyone, and this new privacy policy is just bonkers! Gimme that tin foil hat! Blooming machines. :wise:

Don't even get me started on Cortana and Cyberdynes hologram..... :laugh:

This one is from MS and not the movie.

windows-10-countdown-to-cortana-665x385.jpg

(this commercial is the one from many years ago, I guess it was easy even then to see where we were heading)

;)

Last edited:
Halo game where cortana came from was made by bungie which was owned by microsoft, :)

I've been developing software since the 80's, so I've seen much water pass under the bridges, and I can only say:

Windows 10 is the scariest software released to date, any category.

It makes STASI, NSA, Facebook and similar pale in comparison to the kind and amount of information about individuals Microsoft is giving themselves.

Be afraid, be very afraid, if your privacy means anything to you.

Your smartphone is recording what you say
Your smart TV is recording what you say
Your PC (with Windows 10 and Cortana enabled) is recording what you say

And who is listening?

I know, but I sure aint typing it! :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/

I've already seen the above film.

It's not paranoia, do your own research. ;)

Your <most devices> recording what you say...

Once upon a time I had hopes "1984" would scare the living daylight out of of anyone with even half a brain.

Today, it's clear it wasn't seen as a warning, but as a manual.

The worst part of it? 80%+ of the populations seems to not even be aware of how bad it is, but actually enjoy the surveillance. Since those 80% in a "democracy" gets to rule, it will only get worse.

Once upon a time I had hopes "1984" would scare the living daylight out of of anyone with even half a brain.

Today, it's clear it wasn't seen as a warning, but as a manual.

The worst part of it? 80%+ of the populations seems to not even be aware of how bad it is, but actually enjoy the surveillance. Since those 80% in a "democracy" gets to rule, it will only get worse.

They made Big Brother not into something to make people think, but a shit social 'gameshow' for fame wannabes with no discernable talent / washed up Celebs (who didnt want to be covered in insects and eat animal genitals).

Blue pill / Red pill.

How many people really want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes? Not many.

i think the ppl filling facebook and whatsapp don't care much about such things...

it already begins to seem strange to ppl if you don't have accounts there and thats what bothers me...

if "they" have data of almost all persons but not yours you will clearly stick out..

Last edited:
And Cortana (the "Siri" that's part of Windows 10 now) is an AI, that went crazy in the Halo series later. So we get a pseudo-AI with Windows 10 that will fight against us in a few years.

To be honest: when Cortana was introduced to Windows Phones, this was the best advertising with a hidden joke Microsoft did ever :D.

i think the ppl filling facebook and whatsapp don't care much about such things...

it already begins to seem strange to ppl if you don't have accounts there and thats what bothers me...

if "they" have data of almost all persons but not yours you will clearly stick out..

Don't be scared:
Kids today don't use FB anymore, which is a good sign. Unfortunately FB is too big already and too clever to collapse :(.

The Obama administration must be proud of the database of cell phone cock shots they have compiled over the years :laugh:

Halo game where cortana came from was made by bungie which was owned by microsoft, :)

I'm fairly sure that MA don't own Bungie though, MS bought the rights to the Halo IP as #4 was made by another production team called 343 Industries which I personally thought didn't quite work as well as when Bungie did it as they screwed some of it up - Warthog sound was wrong and they changed Cortanas look.

It was originally going to be a PC game, I even had a demo of the first section before it was released on Xbox and it was given several pages in PC Gamer but then it was licensed by MS for the original Xbox as an exclusive for several years as they didn't have a decent game to sell it and had to resort to stealing PC games.

Bungie are still independent as they released Destiny on Xbox and Playstation platforms - still no PC version though :(

edit: My mistake, they were owned by MS but they got their freedom after releasing enough Halo games.

Last edited:
The Obama administration must be proud of the database of cell phone cock shots they have compiled over the years :laugh:

I use my mobile for making calls and texting. I must be just weird for using it for that! :laugh:

Reactions: Mac
I use my mobile for making calls and texting. I must be just weird for using it for that! :laugh:

Then we are at least two.

How strange, using a phone for making phone calls, and using its attached SMS ability to send, well Short Messages, isn't it?

Surely we should tell all "intelligence" agencies when we last had breakfast, wanked, had a beer, or bought something, to not be seen as "suspicious elements" and be anally r-a-p-e-d if we ever tried to fly to another nation.

(sorry about the '-' in the word describing how you'd be treated, there seems to be a word filter in effect here - possibly Serica will now "ban" me for a month or more for "avoiding" idiocy - and thereby proving at least two points).

That's what I used mine for until I got a Moto g and now it's mostly used for playing Simpsons and Family Guy over wifi.

Problem is the US intelligence agencies and politicians seem to think encryption is a bad thing and they should be able to read everything and are trying to force companies to use breakable encryption.

us politicians complain that silicon valley cant create encryption unicorn

Last edited:
I've been developing software since the 80's, so I've seen much water pass under the bridges, and I can only say:

Windows 10 is the scariest software released to date, any category.

It makes STASI, NSA, Facebook and similar pale in comparison to the kind and amount of information about individuals Microsoft is giving themselves.

Be afraid, be very afraid, if your privacy means anything to you.

I have been thinking about upgrading, but this is the second time that I have heard something about this.

If you don't mind, could you give a short and concise explanation, possibly with links?

Are you sure that this applies to release software as opposed to beta test versions?

Just been to see the Movie and right before it they played the Windows 10 commercial, for those who have seen the movie ( without spoiling it) did you also see how much the MS operating system is resembling Cyberdynes?

Even the new MS commercial wasn't far off the old skynet one from years ago ! :laugh:

If Skynet were a MS product, it would be a very short movie. All they'd have to do is wait for it to BSOD and unplug it.

Then again, if it was a Google system, they could just get any 8 year old to hack it and take complete control of the system.

:laugh:

If Skynet were a MS product, it would be a very short movie. All they'd have to do is wait for it to BSOD and unplug it.

Then again, if it was a Google system, they could just get any 8 year old to hack it and take complete control of the system.

:laugh:

Only if there is a resistance though!

On a non game forum I am on, there is a thread where countless people have downloaded win 10, and had zero idea about the privacy policy, I mean... who reads that anyway! ;) As long as MS know people don't read it, then they can do what ever they wish, which is scary.

As long as people remain complacent and place trust in the machine... it will do as it wishes! :eyecrazy:

I have been thinking about upgrading, but this is the second time that I have heard something about this.

If you don't mind, could you give a short and concise explanation, possibly with links?

Are you sure that this applies to release software as opposed to beta test versions?

No need to be afraid.
The problem is not the software, the problem if today is the META-data, not the data itself. It's a lot more dangerous, what insurances believe because of your facebook connections, that what the NSA can read from your personal PC.

Biggest problem is, that NSA (and all "security" instances from all other countries too) don't trust in the normal people, they see terrorists everywhere. So the Meta-Datamakes them think, there are problems, that do not exist.

And to say, Windows is worse than Apple OS or Google OS is so stupid, sounds like the developer who said that, still lives in the 80s.

Only if there is a resistance though!

On a non game forum I am on, there is a thread where countless people have downloaded win 10, and had zero idea about the privacy policy, I mean... who reads that anyway! ;) As long as MS know people don't read it, then they can do what ever they wish, which is scary.

As long as people remain complacent and place trust in the machine... it will do as it wishes! :eyecrazy:

So, without downloading the whole thing, is there a link to the Privacy Policy?

Is this the Privacy Policy extent of everyone's concerns? Is there something else?

Is there a specific part of the Privacy Policy that I should look at?

Assuming that I am smart enough to know how to go through the setup process and say "no" to everything, is there some other issue?

So, without downloading the whole thing, is there a link to the Privacy Policy?

Is this the Privacy Policy extent of everyone's concerns? Is there something else?

Is there a specific part of the Privacy Policy that I should look at?

Assuming that I am smart enough to know how to go through the setup process and say "no" to everything, is there some other issue?

There are a few articles online which have been published about the concerns, I like this one - but then I am not very technical and its veyr basic. I am sure there will be much more in depth articles out there.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

I believe the Telegraph and some of the other news agencies are now beginning to pick up on the issues, and it is getting some more heat.

The trouble is it is all opting out. By default they get everything, whether it can all be switched off after the fact is the important point.

But as I said, I am not technical, So I am sure someone much better at this than me could advise better.

I was just seeing the link between windows and Cyberdyne :ahh::laugh:

Thanks for the article links. They were both very interesting and useful.

So far, it appears that the worst thing is that all of this crap is turned on by default and you need to go in and turn it off.

As far as the creepiness of Cortana, it certainly seems no worse than Siri or Howdy Doody Google (or whatever it's called). Any time you use on a mobile platform, your voice and all of your data are sent back to the company's servers. I hope this isn't a surprise to anyone.

Do what I do- Turn it off!

The UUID has been around forever. At least you do have the ability to turn it of on most modern systems.

Neither article actually talked much about the whole thing about inviting everyone in your contacts list to use your personal WiFi network. That was the first thing that I saw that tightened my sphincter. But, it looks like you can turn it off, so I'll hope that that will deal with it.

Honestly, I'll probably leave my Windows 7 machines alone, but it does seem like a good chance to lose Windows 8 on a couple of my other machines.

:eyecrazy:future will be interesting

A collage of privacy violations in Windows 10 (taken from a comment on slashdot).

A few things stand out, like:

- "These services share your browsing history and keystrokes with Microsoft"... (emphasis added)

Really makes you want to log in to your bank, or why not Entropia, using that system, doesn't it.

- "Technically, "Windows Wi-Fi" is a third-party app that accesses your Facebook friends so Microsoft knows who you're friends with."

- "Microsoft doesn't need to ask for access to your Skype and Outlook.com contacts because these other services are both owned by Microsoft and tied to your Microsoft account."

- "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)"... (again, emphasis added)

Note that this is not about meta-data, this is Microsoft giving themselves access to your actual data.

Some of this shit can't even be disabled unless you have the Enterprise version of the OS.

A collage of privacy violations in Windows 10 (taken from a comment on slashdot).

A few things stand out, like:

- "These services share your browsing history and keystrokes with Microsoft"... (emphasis added)

Really makes you want to log in to your bank, or why not Entropia, using that system, doesn't it.

Lol, you troll :D, this is used since years on every OS. Do you mind this with Google or Apple? I bet, you accept it there already, but with Microsoft you suddenly think, it's a problem :D.

- "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)"... (again, emphasis added)

Aaand the same: you accept it with Google (GMail, Drive etc) and with Apple Cloud already, Microsoft also does since since years. Either you want to panic other people, or you never thought about technology before :D.

Plus: You can always choose to disable these functions or don't use these services :D:D:D.

Either you want to panic other people, or you never thought about technology before :D.

Perhaps it could be easier explained by someone else not understanding the issue, than using ad hominem arguments. Perhaps someone even is having a hidden agenda, like having financial or worse interests in one or more of the entities making money off of this.

Smoerble said:
Plus: You can always choose to disable these functions or don't use these services :D:D:D.

Perhaps you should re-read my post? Some of this can only be disable on the Enterprise version, a version very very few end-users will ever experience on their personal machines. Not to mention that 90%+ of people don't even know about these settings.

As for your comparison with Google - this is a discussion about the Operating System, not some kind of "external web service" (even that it seems Microsoft now has turned even the OS into exactly such a cesspool).

Lol, you troll :D, this is used since years on every OS. Do you mind this with Google or Apple? I bet, you accept it there already, but with Microsoft you suddenly think, it's a problem :D.

Aaand the same: you accept it with Google (GMail, Drive etc) and with Apple Cloud already, Microsoft also does since since years. Either you want to panic other people, or you never thought about technology before :D.

There is a big difference between applications using such data which you can choose not to use and the operating system using all this data and considering that the operating system doesnt come with this information in big letters on the first page of the purchase contract but instead offers itself as an upgrade for free were most people dont even check what they sign up for is something to be noted.

This thread was started about similarities between a scifi environment and what is already going on in real right now - what scares us in movies shouldnt be ignored or considered uncritical when it comes to our very own reality.

Noone needs to be scared but everyone should be aware that we are aproaching a level of transparity and 'control' that can become very dangerous in the wrong hands.

PS: And consider this - when people have already agreed to be transparent towards the company managing/operating/supporting a vast amount of their daily used technical 'devices' - what will the next 'upgrade' look like and does the company at all still need to inform their customer about upgrades if those cunstomers have already agreed in all terms on the previous upgrade ?...

Well, the root of the problem doesn't actually lie in the technology itself or even the Corporations (mis)using technology.

The root of the problem lies with us, humans.

Whenever someone offers us the easier way out, most of us accept it instantly and only a small fraction thinks or even cares about the consequences. From there it very quickly grows beyond the "critical mass" and triggers a chain reaction.
Now the rest will have to go with it. Otherwise they're left behind in the global rats race for being more competitive and effective than everyone else.
It seems we have no means to change the course, afterall the same forces are also fueling our progress and technological progress may very well be the only way out of the approaching ecological collapse.
We're kinda stuck on this crazy rollercoaster ride, any way u look at it. There's no driver, no brakes and nobody's in control. All we can really do is just fasten our seatbelts, try to remain responsible human beings as long as we can and hope the miracle happens. Maybe we'll survive it somehow.

Sry, if it sounds pessimistic, but actually it's not. It's rather the opposite, but i have no words to describe how or why... Just, nvm. :smoke:

Back