Update Failed, Contact support

Alan Mo

Old Alpha
Society
Sanctuary
Mr Mo Scotland
Hi,

Last update failed and contact support message has came up. I sent message 2days ago still not heard back (not even a copy paste answer). Was wondering if anyone else was having same issue?

I've been on this other thread by Avalon and tried some of the fixes on there but to no success.

I'm using windows 8.1 and Avast is my Anti Virus. I've disabled it until restart and ended all activity in Task Manager & turned my firewall off. Loading bar gets to 31% as normal and then errors. Same as when nothing is disabled.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Never seen this one :scratch2:

Install windows 10?????

Rgds

Ace

like this?

Mine still can't update either, using Windows 7. Turned off antivirus/firewall, fresh install to a new folder, no success. Still waiting on support sent Aug 11.

Maybe can try to run in admin mode, or try right click the folders in explorer to set read/write permissions to full for everyone including subdirectories (also that dynamic folder C:\Users\Public\entropia universe). Maybe lack of diskspace or a set quota (unlikely).

Perhaps try login without using the clientloader (if stored version isn't outdated):
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe\bin64\Entropia.exe" --run

Perhaps set windows User Account Control to lowest security while attemting to load EU and set back to normal after?

015-08-14 13:23 Entropia Universe Support:
Hi Mo,

Please follow these steps.

(This step may be skipped). Navigate to your Entropia installation folder (normally c:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe\ and delete this entire folder.

Download the installer from http://www.entropiauniverse.com/download/ and execute it. You will be prompted for two different folders. For the first folder, the installation folder, select a different folder to where you previously had the game installed. Make sure to select a folder where you have read/write access (i.e. not the Windows folder). For the second folder, planet data, the installer should automatically find and fill in the folder where you have downloaded planet data before. Therefore, do not change this folder, but proceed with the installation.

You should get a new shortcut on the desktop for the new Entropia installation. Make sure to execute this shortcut when launching the game. Do not launch the game as admin, but start it normally.

The ClientLoader should now download the files and you should be able to start the game.

Since you have uninstalled your Anti Virus protection you do not need to make sure that the EntropiaUpdater.exe and ClientLoader.exe is unblocked.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,
Hank | Entropia Universe Support

This is the latest response from support, but still not working. Just about to uninstall my anti virus again and retry there steps.

i only have 1 user account and its admin

Entropia is on my main Hard Drive which is a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB with 176GB free space on it.

like this?

Yes like that.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit
System Model: Z97X-SLI
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16246MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Last edited:
It works! Reinstalling Windows did the trick :dunce:

I was able to use my old Entropia folder on a different drive without reloading.

I'm not re-installing windows because they broke something! A re-install doesn't fix the problem it just side steps it.

Every other game i play works just fine and so did Entropia until they did the last patch. They broke something in the last patch and they can fix it. I will install windows 10 in my own time not forced because support doesn't work weekends and cant figure out what they did wrong.

No other application on my machine is adversely affected like this, and the repeated problems with patching is not cause to reinstall or change operating systems. Entropia is the issue, and the last patch is what has caused problems, not my operating system or anything else on my machine as my troubleshooting (with the instructions from support) has shown.

No other application on my machine is adversely affected like this, and the repeated problems with patching is not cause to reinstall or change operating systems. Entropia is the issue, and the last patch is what has caused problems, not my operating system or anything else on my machine as my troubleshooting (with the instructions from support) has shown.

You can't be sure it was the patch that broke something, It could be some problem with something already. An Installation work for most people and only fails on some few users, it's probably something with the system that breaks the installation.

I guess you have checked your free space on the hard-drive? :silly2:
If you have any newly big windows-update installed on the computer, maybe try to uninstalled that one and reinstall it again, maybe windows will detect problems at the same time.

Is what i sent support.

Hi there,

Sadly the assistance of Support was not helpful, and the assistance of others on the forums less so.

In the end what was required was a new user profile on my Windows PC.

Below I'll list the different steps I have attempted before discovering this, all of which had no effect.

Disabled all AV and Firewalls on my computer before launching.
Adding exceptions to all AV and Firewalls on my PC, for both the client loader's EXE file, and the folder in which it was contained.
Completely removing all AV and Firewalls (where possible).
Running the installer for the client loader and it's installed EXE file as Administrator, on an account with Administrator privileges.
Fully uninstalled all of Entropia from my computer using Revo Uninstaller to ensure no registry keys or settings files remain which could adversely affect a fresh install.
I installed outside the normal location of Program Files as well during these attempts.
I reset my TCP/IP configuration, and refreshed my DNS Resolver Cache in the hopes that it may be connection related.
I updated network card drivers.
I set my DNS Servers to the Google Public DNS servers to attempt to rule out my ISP DNS servers interfering somehow.
Tested on another Windows 8.1 computer in the same house, through the same network hardware and connection and it worked fine.
I ran logging in my firewall and saw no issues with connectivity at all, at any point, resulting in my next step...
I upgraded onto Windows 10 through my free upgrade in the hope that something core to Windows 8.1 was the issue.
Finally, I created a new user profile in Windows 10 to make sure no legacy settings or files in my original profile were at fault... It worked.

Has MindArk came to any conclusion as to what may have caused this issue? A profile reset causes a lot of disruption with all my other applications and it will take some time to get everything reconfigured in my new profile. This was caused by a patch to the game/client loader, and the complete lack of error codes given when a problem occurred has probably not only made it difficult for me to troubleshoot, but also for yourselves to locate and resolve the problem before it affects others.

And they're reply to me. Case closed.

Hi Mo,

We thank you very much for the detailed information, it is much appreciated.

Everyone that has contacted us regarding this issue has been urged to try out the different steps mentioned in the Support News.

The once that still didn't manage to launch the game has actually been told to do what you did.

We are looking over the new Client loader to see if anything can be changed or optimized.

Since there's nothing more to add, we will close this case. Please do not hesitate to file a new case if you have any further inquiries.

Kind regards,
Hank | Entropia Universe Support

I upgraded onto Windows 10 through my free upgrade in the hope that something core to Windows 8.1 was the issue.

Thats like getting infected with Ebola to keep the Swine Flu symtoms at bay.

I'd like to offer more constructive help, and usually I would, but anyone installing W10 right now, well they ain't thinking, they gambling. Might work, might not.

New HD, start over, I think Alan. :(

Cant help it, the support team has got *STUFF* soo far up where the sun don shine, they ask me to move to a different country or change my connection rofl

Back