Question: Did MA pay for PlanetCalypsoForum?

Ace Flyster

Marauder
Dave Ace Flyster
Hi 711,

Does MA or PlanetCalypso own this forum now?

It showed on the latest balance sheet someone paid for it?

Or am I just completely confused?

Rgds

Ace

And...

...you're eyes are opened a little more...

Brick

Use search, this is not the first thread, not even the first one directed to 711? Deja vu?
Someone else will have to provide a link to other threads...

Short summary, if I'm not completely wrong:
PCF was sold a long time ago to one of the MA companies, no clue which one...
(Sold by 711 to MA, it was then EF was born...)

During 2014 (as can be read in the financial report summary!!) the PCF owner ship was transferred from one company to another within the MA organisation... I have a vague memory reading from MA to Calypso owning company or something...

EDIT:::

Hmm, after looking up the information to get my facts straight it turns out the information that you seek from January 2015 actually is not in the English version of the financial report (fail?).

Swedish Version said:
Förändringar inom koncernen
I januari 2015 beslutades det att planeten Planet Calypso och Planet Calypso Forum ska drivas
vidare i moderbolaget. Det betyder att all verksamhet i MindArk Group numera drivs från MindArk
PE AB.

Which is loosely translated into the following:
Changes within the group
In January 2015 it was decided that the planet "Planet Calypso" and the "Planet Calypso Forum" will instead be run in the parent company. This means that all activity in MindArk Group from now on is run from MindArk PE AB.

EDIT2:::

I just remembered, PCF was never sold back in the days by 711 to MA...
It was the data (users, threads etc.) that was sold to MA.
EntropiaForum.com had to start from 0 and all data was transferred to the new theme and URL planetcalypsoforum.com
Some info here: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?198047-Welcome-(Back)-to-EntropiaForum!

Last edited:
Restructuring like that is not uncommon. We deal with reorgs like that all the time and as such, items on the balance sheet will have to shift. Usually between departments but if it is being moved from one company to a different company, then a sale will have to be noted.

Use search, this is not the first thread, not even the first one directed to 711? Deja vu?

During 2014 (as can be read in the financial report summary!!) the PCF owner ship was transferred from one company to another within the MA organisation... I have a vague memory reading from MA to Calypso owning company or something...

Hmm, after looking up the information to get my facts straight it turns out the information that you seek from January 2015 actually is not in the English version of the financial report (fail?).

Changes within the group
In January 2015 it was decided that the planet "Planet Calypso" and the "Planet Calypso Forum" will instead be run in the parent company. This means that all activity in MindArk Group from now on is run from MindArk PE AB.

EntropiaForum.com had to start from 0 and all data was transferred to the new theme and URL planetcalypsoforum.com
Some info here: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?198047-Welcome-(Back)-to-EntropiaForum!

I guess you need know how to search as well.

From the english version of 2015 financials

Note 8
Planet Calypso ForumGroup
Purchase 2014-12-31 201 880 0
Amortization according to plan 2014-12-31 -13 459 0
Entered net value carried forward 188 421 0

PCF has never been owned by anyone else other than 711 previous to this, SDS didn't keep up payments. Unless you count the forum starter (The original entropia forum, i cannot remember his name)

Anyway, back to my original question, I wanted confirmation from 711

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: to help you amber: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...?222565-A-brief-history-of-PlanetCalypsoForum

I regard this as a very important question.

This forum has always been player run. If MA own it, they can start policing it, which is not something we players want, i am sure.

Rgds

Ace

I regard this as a very important question.

This forum has always been player run. If MA own it, they can start policing it, which is not something we players want, i am sure.

Rgds

Ace

I thought they were already doing that.

I guess you need know how to search as well.

From the english version of 2015 financials

Note 8
Planet Calypso ForumGroup
Purchase 2014-12-31 201 880 0
Amortization according to plan 2014-12-31 -13 459 0
Entered net value carried forward 188 421 0

PCF has never been owned by anyone else other than 711 previous to this, SDS didn't keep up payments. Unless you count the forum starter (The original entropia forum, i cannot remember his name)

Anyway, back to my original question, I wanted confirmation from 711

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: to help you amber: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...?222565-A-brief-history-of-PlanetCalypsoForum

I would guess that we have the answer here:
"Sep. 2010 - FirstPlanetCompany (FPC) signs an agreement to acquire the EntropiaForum database and transfer it to PlanetCalypsoForum.com as the official Planet Calypso forum. 711 hosts and administrates PCF as a contractor of FPC."

FPC probably payed a yearly compensation to 711, but did not buy it. When MA decided to take over the planet they also bought the forum from 711, looks like in aug or sept 2014 for 201 880 SEK

"Only The Shadow knows...."

Worth watching the full 7 mins if you've not seen this film IMO

waawawiiiwa

I remember creating a poll with a question - how many MA employees post/reply on forum as regulars - ironically the poll was deleted by one (MA employee) - Serica :D

Police the game forum?? Come on, which serious gaming company would do such a thing? :rolleyes:

Changes within the group

Entropiaforum used to be this forum and was started 2005 way before planetcalypsoforum was started. This forum was just renamed and a new forum was started with the old name.

I presume this is a joke? If not, you are an idiot!

Rgds

Ace

If MA owns the forum...and its not player run (community managed)- I can't find a plausible scenario as to why would she moderate it free of charge.. Does she owe MA a favor? Does she...(blank) - insert possible scenario here...

If MA owns the forum...and its not player run (community managed)- I can't find a plausible scenario as to why would she moderate it free of charge.. Does she owe MA a favor? Does she...(blank) - insert possible scenario here...

I am not now, and never have been an employee of MindArk.
I have never been paid for moderating the forum, it's completely voluntary.

So, why do I do it?
JohnCapital asked me to help.
After due consideration, I decided it was a worthwhile use of my available time, as a contribution to the Entropia community.
In a sense, I'm paying forward the value that I've found in my own use of the forum.

I'm not commenting on the ownership of the forum, as I have no personal knowledge of it.
That's a matter for 711 and/or MindArk, and it's up to one or the other of those to make a public statement if they so choose.

Well, I guess you weren't joking, so that leaves just one option.

The forum has ALWAYS been player run.

I would like to know what influences MA have on here, now that they appear to have bought it.

Rgds

Ace

Well, I guess you weren't joking, so that leaves just one option.

The forum has ALWAYS been player run.

I would like to know what influences MA have on here, now that they appear to have bought it.

Rgds

Ace

You got PM from 711 with answer from OP question ?

who would have thought

I am not now, and never have been an employee of MindArk.
I have never been paid for moderating the forum, it's completely voluntary.

So, why do I do it?
JohnCapital asked me to help.
After due consideration, I decided it was a worthwhile use of my available time, as a contribution to the Entropia community.
In a sense, I'm paying forward the value that I've found in my own use of the forum.

I'm not commenting on the ownership of the forum, as I have no personal knowledge of it.
That's a matter for 711 and/or MindArk, and it's up to one or the other of those to make a public statement if they so choose.

You see, if what you wrote is actually true - that means that you are unknowingly - well not a MA employee - but certainly their "worker"...Since you have (supposedly) no knowledge on ownership of the forum - how does that makes you feel? Do you feel like being lied to? Deceived? MA owns the forum, you go on about doing the moderating out of good will, to return something to the community...and now all of a sudden - you find this out?? Since you did say you have no personal knowledge of who the owner is..must feel...weird...ye?

IMO, that's a bit far fetched, ain't it hun :)

Last edited:
You see, if what you wrote is actually true - that means that you are unknowingly - well not a MA employee - but certainly their "worker"...Since you have (supposedly) no knowledge on ownership of the forum - how does that makes you feel? Do you feel like being lied to? Deceived? MA owns the forum, you go on about doing the moderating out of good will, to return something to the community...and now all of a sudden - you find this out?? Since you did say you have no personal knowledge of who the owner is..must feel...weird...ye?

I support the idiot hypothesis.

Try reading my "no longer a mod" post
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?261892-JohnCapital-Mod-No-More

I give some juicy behind the scenes details about MA's hand in this forum.

Spoiler Alert: It kills your conspiracy theory. :(

As for who "owns" this forum, the issue is technical based on what was bought and what is just a third party service fee.

I support the idiot hypothesis.

I suppose in these days, having a couple of brain cells does qualify you for an "idiot" by the mindless mass, from which - consequently coz of having the ability to think - your opinion differentiates..

Go on, let the witch hunt begin ;) your inability to think with your own head is - I guess - compensated by your ability to insult people, so there you go, you found your trade :)

Could you please quote my "conspiracy theory" as I can't find one in my posts here m8 :)

mods = MA employees

An old an incorrect notion.

Last edited:
insane.jpg

It's irrelevant to me who owns the forum.
Whether it's 711 or MindArk makes no difference whatsoever to what I do or why I do it, and 711's personal financial matters are none of my business.

I feel a bit sorry for you.
The world must be a terrifying and lonely place when you live with such constant suspicion and negativity about other people.

-------------------

And just by the by:
Lol, it's hilarious that I have to link explanation of simple terminology to probably at least a 30+ year old;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

You guys should get your facts straight before accusing people of stuff...
One meaning of 'conspiracy theory' is 'a paranoid tendency to see the influence of some malign covert agency in events'.
That's a direct quote from the link you gave above, and seems a reasonable description of your attitude here.

Last edited:
Back