Red Quad vs Privateer

Gewitter

Elite
Society
Deep Core Mining
Andrey Andy Russian
Due to the fact that I often need a trip between planets, I bought a red quad, about a half year ago.
But perhaps I should to buy a privateer?
Current Red Quad price is higher than last sold privateer, ~52K (let it be 48K (current player offer)), last sold Privateer was in the range 32-37K (or so?)
Is it possible to exchange red quad on a privateer (with surcharge from privateer owner side)?
And does it make sense to do this? IMO just does not make sense to have both.

Therefore below is questions:
How big is the fair price for privateer (SI=500, and how big is upgraded price)?
How big is the fair price for Hangar?
Space Thruster UL and Hangar was initially given with the privateer to the first owners?
Privateer is worse than the quad for regular travelling between planets?

...whether or not to change? :laugh:

PS Privateer owners can offer me ships, but I'm greedy... :)

How big is the fair price for privateer (SI=500, and how big is upgraded price)?
An SI:500 fetches about 40-45K depending on the sale/seller.
With the price of gold above 200% upgrades in SI are not cheap at all. I upgraded my SI to 64000. The current gold value is about 80Kped to get it there. So you will be lucky to get an upgraded SI privateer cheaply.

How big is the fair price for Hangar?
Last I heard one sold for 10K

Space Thruster UL and Hangar was initially given with the privateer to the first owners?
Yes, those who owned hangars prior to VU10 and had to wait for them. Some have sold off their hangars and UL thrusters etc. I have seen UL thrusters for 3k.

Why? A privateer has a warp drive and SI which can be upgraded with no weight limits. The only advantage to an Equus is its extra speed on a regular QUAD. In a privateer you can quickly warp anywhere like an Equus, you can carry 10000kg of ore, which you cant with an Equus.

Hope that helps

Why? A privateer has a warp drive and SI which can be upgraded with no weight limits. The only advantage to an Equus is its extra speed on a regular QUAD. In a privateer you can quickly warp anywhere like an Equus, you can carry 10000kg of ore, which you cant with an Equus.
And price for each jump? Warp Drive I decay is same as UL NanoWarp Drive I (3 PED per warp)? But for WD I we always must pay MU, depending on Generic Fuse prices, right? Therefore one jump price is 10 PED or maybe more?

Each gold ingot (3 ped TT) will increase the total SI (sections combined) with 5-6 points depending on the related skill of the upgrader. A privateer has 2 sections that will both increase by 2.5-3 points per gold ingot inserted. This is the SI as listed on the deed. The total SI is twice that. When blown up the destructed SI is 100% till 200% of what is listed on the deed depending on which sections took how much damage.

Current gold MU seems around 200%, perhaps it is no longer the most efficient upgrade ingredient.

You can check the value of the added SI a bit like that.

P.S. I know WUDI has hers for sale as well as the thruster and hangar.

Each gold ingot (3 ped TT) will increase the total SI (sections combined) with 5-6 points depending on the related skill of the upgrader. A privateer has 2 sections that will both increase by 2.5-3 points per gold ingot inserted. This is the SI as listed on the deed. The total SI is twice that. When blown up the destructed SI is 100% till 200% of what is listed on the deed depending on which sections took how much damage.

Current gold MU seems around 200%, perhaps it is no longer the most efficient upgrade ingredient.

You can check the value of the added SI a bit like that.

P.S. I know WUDI has hers for sale as well as the thruster and hangar.

This means - for upgrading to SI=2000 needed approx 3000 gold ingots, 9000 PED TT, ~18000 with current MU, right? But most upgrades was done when the gold was 110-120%, therefore 10-12k...

This means - for upgrading to SI=2000 needed approx 3000 gold ingots, 9000 PED TT, ~18000 with current MU, right? But most upgrades was done when the gold was 110-120%, therefore 10-12k...

If the current SI per section is 500 and you upgrade it to 2000 (per section) you are adding 1500/section.
That will require 500 till 600 gold ingots, being 1500 till 1800 ped TT.

With such a low SI you are shot down pretty easily though when on your own.

If there ever does come a space update with transport missions where you can obtain part of auction fees or whatever the plan was, maybe ships gain some value...

I'm understood, thank you. However, I still have not decided, I need it or not. The second warp ship is exactly not necessary for me. But I'll be glad to hear more answers and advice in this regard.

Hope that helps

You forgot to mention liquidity, which tips in the Equus favour slightly, and also the fact that the Equus is able to enter straight into atmosphere. Also worth noting you can only carry 10000kg of cargo with safety at this moment, due to the fact that the game developer isn't handling their own faulty mechanics the way they said the would (logout abuse)

I would say opinions for the most part are biased, including mine, but I would rather use an Equus than a privateer, if it's for the sake of traveling between planets, which I am assuming, in your case, is the fulcral point Andrey, seeing as you have assets spread throughout the universe. The Equus allows you faster travel time, without a doubt. Limited, but faster.

For my opinion Few Scars put it right but I guess ask yourself will you be needing to carry a heavy load.

At the end of the day you will never have the option of warping with your pockets full in an equus so a privateer is your only option (log out or not which you cant do if your the only one on board anyway).

So if your transporting goods you'll need the privateer but if not then your probably leaning back towards the equus.

For transporting only goods I do not need privateer. Goods are light weight, so Equus is enough for them. But most miners and explosive projectiles gamblers living on Calypso, therefore a best offers for ores and metal residue are there. It is not possible to pay transport fee for residue, it is extremely high, weight is extremely high too. Therefore only privateer can solve this problem.
Thank you for answers, I will thinking. :)

It is always nice to have your own transport when and where you want it, but from a business perspective I fail to see how spending such insane amounts of money on a vehicle is better than just making use of the regular mothership services.

Consider also that money tied up in a ship can't earn interest otherwise (e.g. through CLD's), so in order to make sense the savings from using your own would have to outweigh the lost interest. In this case it is even impossible, since a single warp costs you more than a mothership passage where these costs are shared.

Therefore the only reasons to have your own are luxury, convenience and pride. This of course is everyone's prerogative.

Therefore the only reasons to have your own are luxury, convenience and pride. This of course is everyone's prerogative.

No, there's just my little business ;)
Often I need to be in several places simultaneously for the good sales.

So which $5000 USD private ride works best for you?

I got 99 problems... but that ain't one.

GL with your choice ;)

JEHU

So which $5000 USD private ride works best for you?

I got 99 problems... but that ain't one.

GL with your choice ;)

JEHU

Compared with Mod FAP (and it's price), Equus looks like toy :)

No, there's just my little business ;)
Often I need to be in several places simultaneously for the good sales.

If it's that urgent you can even get a VIP warp. The difference again goes against the opportunity cost mentioned above. How many of those would outprice having your own ship?

If it's that urgent you can even get a VIP warp. The difference again goes against the opportunity cost mentioned above. How many of those would outprice having your own ship?

Do you know how much is VIP? 25 PED (if double Warp - 40).
Flight on Equus is 3 (Warp) + 2 (Atmo) + 0.5 (Thruster) = 5.5 PED/Each Warp.
If I need to fly to all my 3 Shops per day, there is 60 PED difference compared with a VIP. And if I need a fly to the planet twice (during the events it may happen, because the several goods are being bought in one day, and there is the urgent need to replace). As you can see, maybe it is not outprice ;)

Last edited:
I didn't know how much it really costs with Equus, thought it might be a bit closer to the usual charge. But it's good the numbers are on the table and considered. Yes, that seems quite a difference. It would take about a thousand flights for amortization of the purchase price, and is already on the right side of opportunity cost if you fly more than a few times a week. Is warp cost the same for privateer? Or can you live with mothership schedules for moving stackables at least? Maybe you indeed need both and it even makes sense. Holy cow... I never saw such piles of money spent in another game. :laugh:

What I understand of your question and comments is; you have the typical two use cases that manufactures, distributors and retailers solve every day.

1. Acquisition of bulky, weighty raw materials (or sub assemblies) in a manner to minimize storage and transport costs.
<< manufacturing processes >>
2. Delivery of compact higher value goods to the end consumer.

Since you already have the equus and experience doing task #2 above, what I see you are unsure about is how to do task #1 better.

What I suggest is; you work up a few columns of the needs that you have, and then work up some coulumns of how each of the available transport options in EU can meet those needs; and the costs(time, PED, opportunity, risk, etc) associated with each option

This will give you a rough grid layout; all that's left it to match up the needs with the transport options that are currently best for you.

Due to the nature of the two use cases, one transport option will not be optimal.

The power of the grid is that you can choose the balance of accomodation you need today, and later make changes to your operating procedures when the factors of production change.

You don't need a privateer. You won't be able to fly stackable items in it safely anyhow, as you are flying solo. You'd need a captain to be able to log out, and a crew in case of pirate attacks.

You'd need at least 2.5k si per section in order to have time to log out in case one pirate attacks when flying solo.

And you'll need someone to check the cords for you so they aren't camping the spot waiting for you to get back online (or a friend to shoot it down to bring you to ss upon logging in).

I think the equus fits you better.

You don't need a privateer. You won't be able to fly stackable items in it safely anyhow, as you are flying solo. You'd need a captain to be able to log out, and a crew in case of pirate attacks.

You'd need at least 2.5k si per section in order to have time to log out in case one pirate attacks when flying solo.

And you'll need someone to check the cords for you so they aren't camping the spot waiting for you to get back online (or a friend to shoot it down to bring you to ss upon logging in).

I think the equus fits you better.

My wife already got an account in the EU 2 years ago and now it is protected by a gold card. I was planning on that she will be my captain on Privateer, and I will go to 'safe off' with my stackables. And yes, it seems to me that Equus is better than Privateer in my case, and if I need to change something, I need to buy privateer in addition, not instead Equus :laugh:

Back