Improve Map Functionality

Coelacanth

Stalker
Coelacanth Coelacanth Maryka
I'm sure others have criticized the map for it's sometimes-illogical functionality, and outright lack of functionality. But here's what really annoys me about the map.

-When I click a map location in the list on the left, why can't the map automatically move to display that area, centered? Countless times I've wanted to see where a place was, as the whole map is HUGE, but I always end up having to scroll the map all over hell and high water to find where that place actually IS.

-When I click a map location in the list on the left, how about showing me the actual coordinates of that place? As a tool-tip or in a status bar on the bottom would be very helpful. Showing coordinates only works on the map image on the right, so finding relational coordinates between the map image on the right and list items on the left is nonexistent.

-I'd like the map to "remember" the settings I select, so it opens with those same settings every time. It's annoying to always have to select the map size, then the map zoom level, to the settings I want, each and every time I open the map.

-It might be cool to have a map transparency slider so players could open the map, configure the settings and position it where they want, and change the transparency so it would be like a HUD. Then you wouldn't be opening/closing the map a hundred times per online session.

Some features might not be feasible but would be nice; it would be awesome to be able to add notes to waypoints, for example if you found a nice spot where mob X was, you could annotate it and return there days or months later. The annotations would only reside on the player's side, of course, in their own map config file perhaps. Of course that would go out the window when the map changed...

The first 3 ideas should be easy to program and it's astounding that they don't already work the way ANY map ought to.

i will reply only to your first point: double click it.

And why can't the right side arrows giving us some nice info too, for a long time it's just some boring info not worth a shit !!!!???

Rapido

And why can't the right side arrows giving us some nice info too, for a long time it's just some boring info not worth a shit !!!!???

Rapido

We have had that in the past, but got removed with VU10 :)

What I would like to see at the map, remember the waypoints.
MAP should remember the waypoints even when logging off (or CTD).
Anoying if you have to relog, because some issue happend, and the waypoints are gone.

Another nice thing would be the option to declare waypoints as static, so this static ones, don´t get removed when you reach it. Only useful, if point 1 is true

I would like to see on map local planet time and day/night icons or any info if it is going to be night or night is ending and we are approaching morning / day to be able to decide right activity to do in next hours.

I'd rather see UI be opened up to skin systems, perhaps using LUA.. so that we can have some better UI options and then the MA developers don't need to fart about with these types of requests. The community, if they deem it important, can handle it.

Wow, a thread where i agree with everybody! :yay:

I would add - ability to customize your environment is more important than it might seem at 1st sight.

The player who invests time and effort to create his/her own static waypoints feels more "at home" with the game afterwards and thus has more motivation to come back and keep playing.
The opposite is also true.

i will reply only to your first point: double click it.

To update this: This indeed works well enough for TP's, but not so well with cities or areas. Double-clicking sometimes moves the map to a certain region corresponding to the actual spot, but does not center it. I noticed this for Camp Carter and the two outposts close to the Eviscerator crater. When double-clicking something in the list on the left, it should not just center the map, but also mark the spot with an 'X' or star or something. It's just a minor thing but makes working with the map annoying when it doesn't center on or mark the spot you're looking for.

Waypoints really need to be more persistent; you die and they're gone.

Waypoints really need to be more persistent; you die and they're gone.

????

Not for me :)

You reach it and its gone.
Log off / CTD and its gone.

Yes, there is much room for map improvements! I like the ideas.

Most important for me:
  • Personal Waypoints with custom Names
  • Searchable TP / Waypoint / Outpost List

Would be nice also to have a "search mob" search bar, when searching for a mob that mob location shows up as icons on the map.

To many times I had to go to entropedia looking for a mob location, but when i go to that location in game none such mob there.

Back