Would you play an RCE MMO with a monthly subscription if the economy was a truly closed system?

Would you give it a try?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Status

Raine

Provider
Society
cK Coat Killers
Alexia Raine Ashton
Would you pay a monthly fee, say $9usd, for an RCE MMO like EU with a completely closed economy?

Every single cent would go into the "loot pool", the company would gain absolutely no revenue from money spent on hunting, mining, crafting, etc. The company's source of income would be subscriptions and possibly item mall/convenience items/aesthetic items etc.

To clarify when I say "closed" economy I don't mean you can't deposit/withdraw. I mean the company does not take any money out of the actual player economy.

Please give thoughts/reasoning behind your answer if you can

Last edited:
no no no. Did I say no? Never ever! Stop giving them bad ideas. They think they are good ones :)

no no no. Did I say no? Never ever! Stop giving them bad ideas. They think they are good ones :)

Raine is considering making his/her own RCE MMO :)

OnT: If the economy was closed; Does that mean no withdrawals? If so, it would not be an RCE.

Ehm then it wouldn't be RCE.

Unless you want us to pay a subscription, and on top of that we would need to deposit to feed the RCE?

OnT: If the economy was closed; Does that mean no withdrawals? If so, it would not be an RCE.

Sorry let me clarify. When I say closed I mean the economy would be completely up to the playerbase. The developer would not have their finger in the pie at all.

There are plenty of monthly subscription MMOs out there. If you want to play one, feel free to go ahead and play one of them but leave Entropia Universe alone. It works the way it does because of the lack of monthly subscription fees.

At one point in time apartment dwellers in Entropia DID have something similar to monthly fees. Not many paid those monthly rental fees to keep the apartments open so Mindark removed that silly little fee... No need to go back to doing something like that which has been proven to not work already.

This isn't a question about EU, I'm not suggesting EU add a subscription -_____-

There are plenty of monthly subscription MMOs out there. If you want to play one, feel free to go ahead and play one of them but leave Entropia Universe alone. It works the way it does because of the lack of monthly subscription fees.

At one point in time apartment dwellers in Entropia DID have something similar to monthly fees. Not many paid those monthly rental fees to keep the apartments open so Mindark removed that silly little fee... No need to go back to doing something like that which has been proven to not work already.

What he said ^ :yup:

So you're asking about another hypothetical game?

Yes I'm asking hypothetically.

I'm talking about a hypothetical MMO in which the economy is very balanced because the developer does not have their greedy little grubs in the "loot pool".

Therefore everything would be "closed" and available to players only, via ingame activities with MUCH higher chances for breaking even or turning a profit, and if not, suffering only minimal monetary losses but not without compensation in some form.

In such a case the developer would still need to make money to cover overhead. This would be done via either a monthly subscription and/or virtual items that do not affect the economy, such as convenience items, mounts/vehicles, aesthetic items, things like that.

Yes I'm asking hypothetically.

I'm talking about a hypothetical MMO in which the economy is very balanced because the developer does not have their greedy little grubs in the "loot pool".

Therefore everything would be "closed" and available to players only, via ingame activities with MUCH higher chances for breaking even or turning a profit, and if not, suffering only minimal monetary losses but not without compensation in some form.

In such a case the developer would still need to make money to cover overhead. This would be done via either a monthly subscription and/or virtual items that do not affect the economy, such as convenience items, mounts/vehicles, aesthetic items, things like that.

Change how you game, dont ask to change THE game.

(maybe?)

Hypothetical:

Gamedeveloper gets the subscription fees, none of that money gets its way into the RCE, its just payment for gamedevelopment, servers and maintain.

Where does the money to run the economy come from then ?
Would we have to deposit extra, beside the subscription fee to do activity ingame?

Where do profits come from that could be withdrawn?

Actually I would like to see any competion for MA, then they would need to get their asses up and finally improve EU and do some bugfixes.
There is no other RCE around.
Once I have seen an attempt by a russian company but that failed.

If you want to create your own RCE game, go ahead.
If you add a monthly subscription fee, it will run without me.

My answer is NO !

Hypothetical:

Gamedeveloper gets the subscription fees, none of that money gets its way into the RCE, its just payment for gamedevelopment, servers and maintain.

Where does the money to run the economy come from then ?
Would we have to deposit extra, beside the subscription fee to do activity ingame?

Where do profits come from that could be withdrawn?

Actually I would like to see any competion for MA, then they would need to get their asses up and finally improve EU and do some bugfixes.
There is no other RCE around.
Once I have seen an attempt by a russian company but that failed.

If you want to create your own RCE game, go ahead.
If you add a monthly subscription fee, it will run without me.

My answer is NO !

Well the whole point of this poll is to help come up with a business model that both allows players an actual real chance to succeed, which you don't have in EU, and also gives the developer enough revenue to cover overhead. Therein lies the challenge.

Well the whole point of this poll is to help come up with a business model that both allows players an actual real chance to succeed, which you don't have in EU, and also gives the developer enough revenue to cover overhead. Therein lies the challenge.

What if they get enough money to cover overhead and maybe profit but get all stupid and buy expensive crap like, hypothetically speaking... castles with it, and then just ass hammer the players from then on?

What if they get enough money to cover overhead and maybe profit but get all stupid and buy expensive crap like, hypothetically speaking... castles with it, and then just ass hammer the players from then on?

Well hypothetically if it were me I would run the business the same as I do Web Development. Create a good value and experience for the customer, not worry about maximizing profit, just make enough for me to live a humble life.

I have a recent client that is a nonprofit organization who got a grant for $10,000 to develop a new website. They need to spend the entire $10,000 only on web related expenses. Another company was going to build them a crap static wordpress website for the entire $10,000. I came in and offered a dynamic interactive website, with a directory for their consumers to find information, 3 years of hosting, 3 years of marketing, copy writing services, stock photography expenses, and brochure design. Money comes second to offering good service.

So, you are asking if we want to pay a monthly subscription, but its a closed economy, which we can still withdraw from. Oh and of course its rce.

:laugh:

Rgds

Ace

If it was actually do-able that way (not saying it isn't) then yeah I'd take a look at it.

People would still need to deposit to buy premium items that other players have found so where there's a will there's a way and it would still need a very good 'balance' for these types of items.

People keep saying "cant be done,cant be done" but every subscription based non rce game out there has a black market so if it was just a matter of legitimising that market it may not be as hard as it sounds.

As I said though there'd still need to be some serious balancing issues but it'd be worth a look.

EDIT:
What happened to Diablo 3?
Isn't that something they were trying to do?

Last edited:
Then this thread is in the wrong forum.

Indeed.

The OP has made it clear this question isn't about Entropia - and this forum isn't here to promote or discuss other games. Nor to help people come up with an alternative game of their own, if that's the OP's purpose here.
We've had former players come here and try that before.
Result? Permaban for them.

:locked:

Status
Back