ToS Space Migration 2015

Space is very dark?

Interesting topic. I would very much like to see more content in space and totally agree with Dan. Exploring and (affordable) missions would be fun.

Just those deleted posts kind of irritate me. Is there a reason why Mega was banned?

Is there a reason why Mega was banned?

That is between Mega and the Mods :yup:

But my Crystal Ball says he will be back soon :laugh:

This is a very interesting thread and a useful debate, who knows, MA Devs may even read it, shame its been hijacked, but there we are.

Dirk

I agree with Dan also , i would like to put my quad to work but not gonna risk it with pirates around , i dont stand a chance when i fly solo , when i fly with my friend i managed to fight back , still with loot on board i will never fly again :eyecrazy:

I think it should be like it is on planet.

You said it - on planet mobs trains are mostly not allowed.

I don't however think space should be bypassed..

Now days nobody is running trough hordes of various mobs, passing many different LA's just to get on destination LA.
That we did in old PE and getting to preferred hunting/mining ground took hour or more, but now we use TP, chip or vehicle. Yes in old time we didn't have motherships to jump to area with particular mob but still we used terrain, sea and other methods to get there safe or faster - we still had a choice to kill every shity mob on path or to take safe trip around or to swim etc. We had choice and planet side we still have choice.

And if one doesn't want to pay attention and dodge mobs, there is always warp ships

To not having choice and safe way in space except if we pay mothership look like sort of extortion.
And is not like on planet as you say it should be.

I don't however think space should be bypassed, being no more than a 40 min void/book read/tv watch. It should be interactive and immersive for everyone

Yes we have a problem - Space is used mostly to travel from one planet to another and that mean Space is not used at all.
Nothing to do there if you don't want to have pirate pker on your back all the time.
Sorry I cant enjoy to explore and hunt in space with possibility that someone is waiting to kill me and loot me.

Doing some numbers is not so productive and can deviate in wrong conclusion.
But yes we can count players.
We counted them in few RC-unit events where MA did PVP event and gave rewards just for small group of players.
Players on Calypso voted with their PedCards too and you can walk trough all Amathera LA's and see result - all are turned pvp off.
I can understand concerns that partially putting pvp off - might be a problem as your business is based on loot able space, presence of pirates and inability of MA and planet partners to balance economy with import/export taxes and fees.
But that is just partial problem because we miss space content, more space areas and places, more things to do, more to add in space.

I'm not pker or pirate, mostly hunter and apart that enough curious to try every other profession or new thing to do - but that do not mean that i burn less peds in EU as pker or pirate do - hmm i burn probably a lot more.
I don't see reason that space is only for pirates and mothership owners to enjoy as gameplay ground.
Space should be for all but we need more content, more things in space.

I fully support Mega proposing that space should have some addition, corner, for everyone taste or play style.

Look John its an idea and we need more than that.
I would like to have space iron missions or exploring missions, space mining maybe etc.
But with pkers on my ass i will newer go do it.

Look recent Mission Galactica - most of mission is done planet side or worse auction side lol.
Its boring that way, one do not have nothing to do in space except visiting space station and howling mine.
More content should be added and mission glued to that new content in space.

How about content for masive participation?
Like Land Grab space zone with non loot able area witch periodically turn loot able to permit societies to fight for it and claim it.
Maybe floating space town to trade space resources and craft items witch are not craft able on planets due to gravity.
Maybe small asteroids non pvp for mining special space resources etc.
More content mean also more needs for mothership services regardless of players profile and playing style.
Im sure that you with your experience can provide a lot better ideas just don't forget to give everyone something to do.

See Dan, in regards to mission galactica i think the reason why it turned out to become an auction-mission is very easy - it was a great idea for a mission and the developer had it all properly thought out but then management decided they wanted everyone to have a shot at it and added those drops not just for spacemobs but for many many mobs. The mission texts in the galactica mission clearly speak of space fareing creatures to be hunted for the rare drops yet the drops got added to planetside creatures as well and therefor planetside creatures automatically became the main source for these drops and the value dropped to TT.
Whereever you look in entropia, as soon as you bring a new drop that is lootet by everyone easily, then it will be down to tt value in no time.
If mindark had done the mission as a pure space mission, all of these drops would have kept good markups to make hunting for space hunters worthwhile - yet now many players around the universe get even more tt loot handed back in their hunting loot.

Remember pvp4 on caly back before vehicles/thorifoid helmets/etc. ? With high markup ores - people loved to sneak in take a risk to make it out with some valueable finds.
Look at oil rigs - how many people try to pick the oil again and again even with only a tiny chance to make it.

Space isnt empty because people fear it - space is empty because the risk versus reward is totally out of balance.

If there were item drops or space missions/quests to gain valueable rewards like:
- a special fuel that makes ships fly faster
- adjusted/improved/modified/perfected upgrade modules for spacecrafts
- longrange subspace scanners / longrange hyperspace scanners (warp)
- autopilot upgrades to allow ships to find a secure passage based on their scanner results and target destination
- specialized limited weaponry/devices (torpedos, mines, bombs, decoys, jammers, cloaking devices)
- space only mining ressources that are more efficent in spacecraft upgrades then gold
- a special longterm mission chain to work through to gain an own spacecraft or to turn a standard spacecraft into a specialized or even unique one

then im sure that lots of players would be up there taking their risks to score these special rewards either to upgrade their own ships (sleipnirs, quads, privateers, motherships, or new ship types) or to sell their finds for a good price to other shipowners.

The reason why pvp in amathera la's didnt work is the very same - risk versus reward was out of balance - when you can get the same or similar stuff next door with less risk then thats what players do - always.
For pvp to be successfull it takes the courage to actually put pvp only drops ingame that are worthwhile for players to fight over not only once but dozends of times, not only for a day but continuously.

The fact that generic fuses which are needed for spacecrafts do drop from planetside mobs is for example a big mistake - mindark would have had the chance right from the start to make sure that there is a big incentive for players in space 'if' the sole source to craft warp drives had been space.

There is lots of content in space for quad based hunters, the reason why its unpopular is because all the drops in space can be found planetside at no risk - and we are back at the same reason - risk versus reward is out of balance.
The content that is missing since the start of space is the one for privateers and motherships and dozends of them sitting idle at space stations waiting for the future is a very clear sign towards mindark that there is nothing to do for so many ships and that there is for most shipowners no incentive to upgrade a spacecraft for 100k ped because content is missing and in transport flights the whole of space can be bypassed just through logging out.

I see people continuously complaining that they need safe zones in space, but how many of them have actually spent a great deal of time up there ?
I live in space since 2011 and its size alone gives you a great deal of safety - if you stay away from the common spacestations and leave the +-1000 altitude band in which most players hang out then suddendly things get very remote out there and you wont ever see another player in a very long time.
The maximum altitude in space is +-4000 so make use of it if you want to travel safer in your sleip/quad - yes that means taking the longer route - but this shouldnt really matter for those players who claim to watch tv or do other stuff meanwhile.

We certainly can have a space full of hostile creatures in levelranges from 1-10,000+ all over the spacemap and there would still be enough space to travel in peace - space is not flat its 3D that makes it so much bigger then any planetside map.
And yes space hunters could take on a 10,000+ level mob where planet hunters would fail - because the support teams for the gunners is sitting on different servers while repairing the ships and therefor wont create lag on the battlefield. And there is many ships out there that could take on space bossmobs together.

I think it should be like it is on planet.

You said it - on planet mobs trains are mostly not allowed.

I agree that mobs trains should not be allowed in space.. And ship should be the target so you cant jump off pilot to be safe. If I was in a quad going for a hunt and there is a bunch of MS draging all the mobs, I would probably not be so happy on them.

But as it is now all training grounds and hunting grounds are made for sleip and quads, where you go one on one against the mob and move on to next. Having a bigger ship its not so fun going against 1 mob at the time with several gunners (even one gunner), so you have to collect a bunch.. as much as needed to create a good hunting. And Normandie has grown so strong that it needs more then 1 hunting ground can offer when crew is large. It just takes to long to collect before you can start hunting. So there should atleast be some hunting ground that is made for big ships where they can get a challange.

ps. Dont play AFK, if its to boring to stay and play then write a support and ask if they can do it more exciting. The experience of the game should not come from reading a book while you wait for something to happend in game. ;) ds.

Didn't you just create a large mob train; I used to find that incredibly irritating on planet. I suspect others think the same in space?

U know I've always been against watering the game down too much and removing all the risk everywhere.
However, this time i believe Mega has a point - providing a safe corner for those ppl who don't like taking too many risks would not take anything away from the rest of the Space.

And Dan's ideas are brilliant:
Maybe floating space town to trade space resources and craft items witch are not craft able on planets due to gravity.
Maybe small asteroids non pvp for mining special space resources etc.

More content also means more needs for mothership services regardless of players profile and playing style.

JBK is also spot on, for Space to work the risk vs. reward balance should be at least as good as it is planetside.

Didn't you just create a large mob train; I used to find that incredibly irritating on planet. I suspect others think the same in space?

No players were hurt (apart from some of the engineers working on the migration) during the movement of all these mobs. And no you cant move this amount of mobs in a 'mob train' past 140ish mobs you will start loosing lots of them not only due to 'unreachable' status but they will also start tping randomly out of the herd to other places nearby. It takes a more coordinated effort to actually get such an amount of mobs into place.

I guess the difference being that mob trains are usually directed at someone. Like training atrox to the rig. This was herding, like gathering up a group of merps for you to kill yourself.

I guess the difference being that mob trains are usually directed at someone. Like training atrox to the rig. This was herding, like gathering up a group of merps for you to kill yourself.

That's how it is.

Edit: Nvm.

Space can definitely be improved - not difficult to be honest and we've provided lots of ideas since it was added.

The bigger issue MA have is that they'd be in direct competition with the PP's possibly even open themselves up for a conflict of interest. If they sold space off as a separate PP or gave the management of space around each planet to the PP involved then they might get someone with the incentive to do stuff.

GoGO SPACE

It is our sincerest hope that this migration will leed to a revitalisation of life in space and allow it to develop and prosper - may the powers that be be inspired to allow what could be...

Well I am all for an active space.. heck I'm a pilot.. I love space and flying sims.. ESPECIALLY FLYING INVERTED..
<removed>

MachnBird Sparo

Last edited by a moderator:
Space can definitely be improved - not difficult to be honest and we've provided lots of ideas since it was added.

The bigger issue MA have is that they'd be in direct competition with the PP's possibly even open themselves up for a conflict of interest. If they sold space off as a separate PP or gave the management of space around each planet to the PP involved then they might get someone with the incentive to do stuff.

Mindark already has calypso where they are in straight competition - i dont think space could make this competition worse and planet partners still earn from players they recruit even if they play in different places - but i agree that there should be a separate team working exclusively on space and with funds raised from space - this would move us forward a great deal.

Space isnt empty because people fear it - space is empty because the risk versus reward is totally out of balance.

The reason why pvp in amathera la's didnt work is the very same - risk versus reward was out of balance - when you can get the same or similar stuff next door with less risk then thats what players do - always.

I'm glad that you realized equation - risk versus reward.
I hope you understand how Amathera LA's owners solved the equation in conditions where reward cant be raised or altered.
Having small parts of space like oasis non pvp as permanent or temporally solution until more content is added could bring a lot more players in space and cant hurt your business so much.
On other side having almost empty space without grinders hunters, miners represent obvious MA looses for entire space servers.

<removed>

<removed>

@Dan: While its a valid point that amathera la owners switched pvp off to compete with non-pvp hunting grounds, please keep in mind that there is also lots of miners who mine outside those las because they dont want to pay tax and dont mind mining in pvp at all. I have been spending lots of time in amathera myself back before 2011 and been exploring every corner most of the time in pvp - nothing scary or inconvenient at all - the main issue for turning pvp off on amethera la's was to avoid players shooting down other players and then finishing off their mobs to loot them. If those mobs had been shared loot there wouldnt have been an issue at all.
What im saying is there is more then one way to make things work - it doesnt always have to be the same way.

If you bring non-pvp to space then mindark suddendly needs to balance space loot twice against planetloot - for pvp and non-pvp - to me that sounds like alot more balancing work then just making it work fair in pvp.
Hunting small mobs with spacecrafts in a non-pvp version of space means people who do not upgrade their ships but instead buy several ships are suddendly in an advantage over those developing their ships - which would be rather counterproductive to mindark trying to get shipowners to improve their ships.

I have suggested to Neverdie some time back to introduce a high atmosphere layer for rocktropia like an instance where spacecrafts could hunt dragons in the domain of the planetpartner, im not sure if mindark would allow this but this would be the closest i could see to get ships used for hunts in an development area of planetpartners and for planetside loot without interfering with the balance for space and space loot.

<removed>

OnT: Space needs overhaul. MA has a few options, I'd say introduce some non PVP areas as suggested by Mega, however, make sure to introduce iron missions. Space would get more active and owners of big vessels such as OP could hiring out guns to people who wants to finish the missions quickly. But never ever introduce safe paths.

But most of all, and first of all, someone needs to up the spawns. There has been plenty of nights when I decided to stay off the guns, simply because the insufficient spawns made me feel like I was intruding.

I'm for increasing the spawns so that all can have their fun. Would be good to see some random mobs outside of the TGs also. I think they should also adjust the range on MS guns to a longer distance. It's kinda stupid that a Quad has the same range as a MS TBH. This would make hunting with an MS much more interesting.

I also think Space needs a place where PVP is allowed but be non-lootable or even where PVP is turned off completely. We all were new to the game and I couldn't imagine me staying in this game for as many years as I have if everything was PVP (and lootable). Maybe a noob training ground with lower mobs and a SS with transport to a Planet so that new players can cut their teeth on handling a craft in space without pirates coming in and killing them for loot and/or sport..

As for Mob Training, unless an Ship is dragging mobs over other players and killing them with the mob Train, it's not Mob Training. As far as I know, you can still legally go out and run around in the mobs and skill Dodge/Evade and when done run them to a turret. It's not an exploit but just another way to gain Repair and Piloting skills.

We all have different ways of playing this game and I like to think that none of them are bad, just different. :wise:

Let's clear a few things up ..Shall we?

<removed>

Second thing on topic: I agree with some of point that were made about Space and what should be done,and as I mentioned in my society chat ..the one good point about Space and it's gunner position is ...unlike when you join EU..you have to 'skill up" to use many weapons..buy nice armor for higher mobs and wait a long time to get those "big mobs"..Now this may have applied from before , but with the newly implemented "skill pills and buying skills" these days may not take as long as the old days,but my point here is a new player can come into game and get same excitement of big guns and loot without the decay..and not have to wait to take on the "Big Mobs" like the old days.Well that's my perspective..Carry on.. :wtg:

Disrupting a thread to ask why a particular moderation action was taken is inappropriate and against the forum rules:

Forum Rules said:
2.14 - Administrator/Moderator Criticism
Criticism of these forum rules, or Forum Staff implementation of these forum rules is NOT permitted in any publicly viewable area of the forum. Such content will be deleted without notice. If you disagree with how the forum is being moderated or administered, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page to contact the Forum Staff. If you are unclear about the purpose or interpretation of one of the forum rules, either contact an administrator via private message, or consult the PlanetCalypsoForum Rules Discussion thread.

In any case, asking why another member has been banned is unnecessary.

Temporary bans are issued when a member repeatedly and intentionally violates the forum rules despite moderator warnings. So if a member has received a temp ban, then they usually wanted to be banned and/or inexplicably determined that somehow the forum rules did not apply to them.

The forum staff does not discuss the specifics of a particular member ban with other members. If you are curious why someone was banned, read the paragraph above.

:topic:

Space really is just a gateway at the moment to travel to other planets.

Its a bit like buying petrol for your car - something you need but hate buying. It is particularly uninteresting and overly challenging at the same time.

There are significant degrees of "unfairness" - I can never work out how it is possible if I am in front of someone else how they can catch up with me and overtake me.

It also seems prone to niggling disagreements between participants; and despite being in this game for far too many years space mobs are still beyond me.

He did the same what you are currently doing - he was offtopic - but repeatedly and tried to insult people ontop off that. There is a feature called 'create thread' if one feels to discuss a different topic ;)

So please stay on topic even when your friend with mega and feel like having to step up for him.

I tried to stay on topic best I can but I really don't care about space :(

I do not know what all the players think about. But the joy I have with the AoE and ToS and what I want in this game are in the same line. Just because some have their nose too far in what is limited. Understand that we want to have fun. With players not only see restrictions but want this game to be for everyone, not just people on the planets. I do not care if other MS owners or other explorers are too scared to show what they made of. We will have the best time in the game is possible. If cowards do not wanna come and join the fun. YOUR LOSS. Love to you all or just imagine what can come out of this. Space and space for the explores not cowards. I'm Kinkee if your not my friend don't climb the Totem :)

I do not know what all the players think about. But the joy I have with the AoE and ToS and what I want in this game are in the same line.

Great to hear!! :laugh:

Just because some have their nose too far in what is limited. Understand that we want to have fun. With players not only see restrictions but want this game to be for everyone, not just people on the planets. I do not care if other MS owners or other explorers are too scared to show what they made of. We will have the best time in the game is possible. If cowards do not wanna come and join the fun. YOUR LOSS. Love to you all or just imagine what can come out of this. Space and space for the explores not cowards. I'm Kinkee if your not my friend don't climb the Totem :)

Before you call people cowards for not showing up to a fight, you may want to make sure you told them there was a fight to attend. I just checked my mail again and don't think I received the invitation. :smoke:

I think this may be part of the issue in that your "Migration" was organized and executed without telling anyone and had dire effects on spawn rates within all Training Grounds. Now that the message is out on what was done and the reasons why it seems to me that all feedback to the negative is either criticized or dismissed. It seems to have gotten heated of both side with accusations and such but the biggest answer to the issue is having open communications on what is going on.

JBK, if you want to organize further "Migrations" like this just let everyone know. Those that want to just skill in TG know better that to waste their time and ped looking for mobs that don't exist during that time. You may get more participation from the community at large!

But, for the record, this is not my cup of tea.. I'd liken it to Jenna Star running around in her highest armor and gathering up all the Atrox in a heard and then sitting there shooting them all while the other hunters stand around wondering where they all went.. Not much of a contest for you TBH and pretty much a ped burner.

But, this doesn't mean I'm a coward (as referred above) but just have a different gameplay than you do. :wise:

Great to hear!! :laugh:

Before you call people cowards for not showing up to a fight, you may want to make sure you told them there was a fight to attend. I just checked my mail again and don't think I received the invitation. :smoke:

I think this may be part of the issue in that your "Migration" was organized and executed without telling anyone and had dire effects on spawn rates within all Training Grounds. Now that the message is out on what was done and the reasons why it seems to me that all feedback to the negative is either criticized or dismissed. It seems to have gotten heated of both side with accusations and such but the biggest answer to the issue is having open communications on what is going on.

JBK, if you want to organize further "Migrations" like this just let everyone know. Those that want to just skill in TG know better that to waste their time and ped looking for mobs that don't exist during that time. You may get more participation from the community at large!

But, for the record, this is not my cup of tea.. I'd liken it to Jenna Star running around in her highest armor and gathering up all the Atrox in a heard and then sitting there shooting them all while the other hunters stand around wondering where they all went.. Not much of a contest for you TBH and pretty much a ped burner.

But, this doesn't mean I'm a coward (as referred above) but just have a different gameplay than you do. :wise:

While i think coward is the wrong word to use, if you followed the threads conversation and with abit of reading comprehension you would have realized that Kingkee's comment was about the arguments of people who wish space to be 'non-pvp' - he wasnt talking about wether people joined the migration or not.
Furthermore you certainly missed to read or atleast understand a great deal of what was written at the start of the thread - the point why this migration had to happen without public notice was to avoid all these mobs getting shot down at their intermediary migration points - the one thing which takes longest up in space is to collect these mobs its not to kill them as you can see by the stated fact that one mothership with half the gun turrets manned pretty much killed 80% of all life in space.
The point to be understood from this is not, that someone had to search abit longer to get his ship damaged - the point is to show that this universe seriously lacks content to keep spaceships and crews busy and challenged and furthermore to display how mob spawns could look like.
Watch the video in case you didnt do it yet, but with the mindset of how much it could do for YOU to hunt and skill if spawns like this would naturally exist in space and didnt take days of collection work.

This migration was done as an event to entertain the crew with something new and grand yes , but it required a shitload of hard work , hundreds of piloting hours and thousands of repairing hours - the main reason though to do this and what makes it worthwhile is to create this video to show mindark how hunting in space could look like and that we are rdy for a bigger challenge.
To make them realize that whats up there is no longer enough.
And if they finally improve the space pve experience it will be for the better of everyone in space, even if they didnt contribute to the 2015 space migration.

We have done it now and now its up to mindark whats to come next, however the possibilty certainly exists to have a 2016 space migration one way or another and if it has to be playerdriven - we might increase its scale abit further and include more ships.

While i think coward is the wrong word to use, if you followed the threads conversation and with abit of reading comprehension you would have realized that Kingkee's comment was about the arguments of people who wish space to be 'non-pvp' - he wasnt talking about wether people joined the migration or not.
Furthermore you certainly missed to read or atleast understand a great deal of what was written at the start of the thread - the point why this migration had to happen without public notice was to avoid all these mobs getting shot down at their intermediary migration points - the one thing which takes longest up in space is to collect these mobs its not to kill them as you can see by the stated fact that one mothership with half the gun turrets manned pretty much killed 80% of all life in space.
The point to be understood from this is not, that someone had to search abit longer to get his ship damaged - the point is to show that this universe seriously lacks content to keep spaceships and crews busy and challenged and furthermore to display how mob spawns could look like.
Watch the video in case you didnt do it yet, but with the mindset of how much it could do for YOU to hunt and skill if spawns like this would naturally exist in space and didnt take days of collection work.

This migration was done as an event to entertain the crew with something new and grand yes , but it required a shitload of hard work , hundreds of piloting hours and thousands of repairing hours - the main reason though to do this and what makes it worthwhile is to create this video to show mindark how hunting in space could look like and that we are rdy for a bigger challenge.
And if they finally improve the space pve experience it will be for the better of everyone in space, even if they didnt contribute to the 2015 space migration.

We have done it now and now its up to mindark whats to come next, however the possibilty certainly exists to have a 2016 space migration one way or another and if it has to be playerdriven - we might increase its scale abit further and include more ships.

1. I did advocate for a Non-PVP section of space so I think I could take the coward statement to heart.

2. I have read the whole thread (except for those parts which have been stripped out). Reading comprehension is just fine, thank you...

3. I did watch the video and looked at all the pictures.. Nice work!

4. As for the Organizing of the Mobs and getting it ready.. I have to ask.. did you pose this to any other MS to see if there was even interest in helping? You may have found some ships to assist in the efforts instead of just your group. Or was the assumption made that others would just want to shoot the mobs and destroy your effort? Did you try to bring it up in Space Council so that people may even be aware of the reason why spawn rates were so damn low? Isn't this one of the reasons you created that channel? To open communications?

To the point, I made my prior post to try to bring this to a constructive end. To try to make it so that if this was to happen again, maybe communication can be more open and at least let the Ship owners understand what is going on. I guess I was wrong about that?

This event show also weak points of space as is now.
Not enough mobs for a single mothership.
What if other motherships participated?
And tomorrow?
Universe first planet have big advantage to have entire space for own use and even for those few motherships space is too small and mobs spawn to low.
Sooner or later other planets will grow to a point to have own space ships.
If space is too small and not enough mobs today for just few motherships how will be then?
Full of privateers, motherships and no mobs?

Space need further development now because tomorrow will be too late.

Last edited:
4. As for the Organizing of the Mobs and getting it ready.. I have to ask.. did you pose this to any other MS to see if there was even interest in helping? You may have found some ships to assist in the efforts instead of just your group. Or was the assumption made that others would just want to shoot the mobs and destroy your effort? Did you try to bring it up in Space Council so that people may even be aware of the reason why spawn rates were so damn low? Isn't this one of the reasons you created that channel? To open communications?

This migration had more then just one purpose.
We also used it to meassure the total number of mobs in space and per space la at any one point.
We wanted to see at which point someone would notice/acknowledge that spawns were smaller as a method to determine which spawns in space get currently used at all.
I was expecting someone to mention it either in space travel, #space_travel or #space_council - it didnt happen.
We gathered alot of usefull data with this migration including the knowledge that if we had left ark tg unattended noone would have really noticed or went checking at all - in fact im quite convinced that the second week of the migration even though of bigger scale then the first week probably wasnt recognized as much just because we left ark tg unattended till the last day.
Thats how popular space is due to its non existant content.

Back