Entropia Revival Project - PED and You: Why New Players Should Avoid the Trade Terminal Whenever Possible

FauconIoji

Provider
Hang out: Icarus. Apartment: Medusa South Tower, F
Faucon Ioji VanAlkel
Hello everyone!

The latest post from the Entropia Revival Project is up (and is linked here)!

This week, we're focusing on the volume of PED in game, why the Trade Terminal slows the economy down, and how we came up with the idea for a price of "4 PED / K" on Sweat.

This blog is a checkpoint in our posts that will open the doors to a lot of topics beyond the price of sweat, and because of that, I'm very excited to have this post done.

As always, please let me know what your thoughts are.

For those of you not familiar with my blog, The Entropia Revival Project is a society and non-profit organization on-world that is aimed at improving the economy in Entropia, and specifically, on Calypso. We work with new players and experienced players alike to help everyone make the most out of the game my pushing a series of Economic and Social Projects. This blog is our home base.

Good Luck Out There!

Is an awesome project, but why not expand and go to other planets. I've got passed from the time I survived 100% on sweat earnings but I believe a lot of people on Arkadia and Cyrene would benefit from this.

I definitely want to, and it's on the "to-do" list down the line.

I started with Calypso because I know it well, and can speak to it the most intelligently. Right now, We're focusing on landing some partnerships and making our goals a reality - and once I have that down, I plan to move on to other planets.

:D

And thank you for the kind words about the project. It's greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone!

The latest post from the Entropia Revival Project is up (and is linked here)!

This week, we're focusing on the volume of PED in game, why the Trade Terminal slows the economy down, and how we came up with the idea for a price of "4 PED / K" on Sweat.

This blog is a checkpoint in our posts that will open the doors to a lot of topics beyond the price of sweat, and because of that, I'm very excited to have this post done.

As always, please let me know what your thoughts are.

For those of you not familiar with my blog, The Entropia Revival Project is a society and non-profit organization on-world that is aimed at improving the economy in Entropia, and specifically, on Calypso. We work with new players and experienced players alike to help everyone make the most out of the game my pushing a series of Economic and Social Projects. This blog is our home base.

Good Luck Out There!

This "4 ped per 1000 sweat" analyze is only half correct. If new players could get 4 PED per 1000 sweat it would also cause more sweaters never become hunters at all. Because they figure out they can make more profit on stay at sweating than they will make on hunting small monsters. I truly honestly don't think it would solve anything at all, it would be status quo.

Anyone sweating for 10 hours (5k sweat) to do a 15 minutes hunt (5 ped ammo + tt gun), please report to the nearest psych.

Next to this, anyone still paying 2 ped per kilo is paying too much. Traders are able to buy at 1.7 per kilo at this very moment. If your timing is right, Crone is willing to bet you one can buy at 1.5 ped per kilo.

Other than that, 4 ped for 1k sweat won't change anything. Firstly Crone's recommendation above would not change. Then there will always be people selling for less. If you check auction pages you would know that. The newest offers are mostly at the lowest price. This is done by new players, old players and anyone in between. Sweat sellers aren't any different.

Then, if the trader buys at 4 ped and sells at 4.1, not only the crafter pays more, also the mind essence user and with that the hunter. This would mean that the costs are going up. In your blog the assumption is that the prices of the guns stay the same. Who is paying for the difference? It is either the players or... the players.

As last Crone predicts that new players will buy the same gun, since they cannot use another gun yet and buy more ammo. Which is in his opinion the wisest thing to do.

This results in the same situation.

Doing the starter missions, it became very clear to Crone that MindArk has little or no interest in free to play players. Logic, they don't make money for the company. A higher sweat price could potentially mean less deposits or at least a difference in the relation players/deposits. Mindark needs to adjust that and find a way to lower the sweat price.

But it will not come to that. To most people Entropia is a game. So if you like to hunt, you need to sell now to buy ammo. This means you are willing to receive a bit less for your sweat or loot. There will always be a price drop. Sweat is still dropping in price, slowly, but dropping.

So, let Crone know when you start buying at 4 ped per kilo. Crone still has some in storage.

Anyone sweating for 10 hours (5k sweat) to do a 15 minutes hunt (5 ped ammo + tt gun), please report to the nearest psych.

That's what got me off sweating within the first week and that was when sweat was 14 ped / 1000 and a few months before that it was 40ped / 1000 but we had the sweating skill limit at that point.

Sweat is a tiny part of the economy, to really make it move then crafting has to be front and centre but that's difficult to do when even MA doesn't appear to have any faith in it any more.

Ultimately people have to believe it's worthwhile to deposit.

Last edited:
Limited resources and the need to find better, more efficient ways to use those, just like in a real world, that's driving economy.

This "4 ped per 1000 sweat" analyze is only half correct. If new players could get 4 PED per 1000 sweat it would also cause more sweaters never become hunters at all. Because they figure out they can make more profit on stay at sweating than they will make on hunting small monsters. I truly honestly don't think it would solve anything at all, it would be status quo.

I don't think this is the case at all. There's a possibility that we would see the resurgence of sweating guilds, but after a while, boredom kicks in. Nobody is going to burn that much game time for a little return.

At 4 ped / k it would still take several hours to make it to 20 ped (or 2 USD). No sense in trying to work that system. 4 PED/k is, in my opinion, a healthy amount. It's not so high as to be a profession, but not so low as to drive away newbies.

I agree. This is why we need to cut this time in half, or else we scare away non-depositors. Doing so is severely limiting our economy to depositors only, and although they are our top spenders, you still are dismissing a huge chunk of potential income.

Next to this, anyone still paying 2 ped per kilo is paying too much. Traders are able to buy at 1.7 per kilo at this very moment. If your timing is right, Crone is willing to bet you one can buy at 1.5 ped per kilo.

saying "People sweating for 5 hours are insane" and then turning around and saying "but for those people crazy enough to do it: I'm still going to undercut you" is a bit backwards, don't you think? It's this mindset that causes new players to leave. And, like it or not: every time a player walks, so does a few potential sales. It's basic retail practice.

Other than that, 4 ped for 1k sweat won't change anything. Firstly Crone's recommendation above would not change. Then there will always be people selling for less. If you check auction pages you would know that. The newest offers are mostly at the lowest price. This is done by new players, old players and anyone in between. Sweat sellers aren't any different.

There will always be people selling for less, this is true. But those people need to view that as a Mistake, like someone selling a gun for too low would. If we can foster that kind of environment it would benefit us all.

Then, if the trader buys at 4 ped and sells at 4.1, not only the crafter pays more, also the mind essence user and with that the hunter. This would mean that the costs are going up. In your blog the assumption is that the prices of the guns stay the same. Who is paying for the difference? It is either the players or... the players.

That's not true, because you're not factoring in the change in player retention that the increase will have.

Let's say that right now, 1 out of every 10 players stays.

Let's say that person sells 5 k of sweat to you at 2 ped, and buys two things from the auction house for 10 ped. Money gone. everyone nets a loss.

now, lets say three out of every ten players stay.

Those three sell 5 k of sweat to you, each, for 20 PED. then, they buy things from you instead because they have more money, netting you a return right away (for argument, let's say this return is 90%). then they go hunt, and sell you their loot because they got a good deal from you, which you use to craft a vehicle, which you sell on auction, which nets you another 20% in profits. Now the new player stays, you make your money (because YOU got their sweat money and not the TT) and everyone wins.

At the heart of this, the idea is that we want the traders to get the money from sweat and not the TT. When that happens, profit happens.

As last Crone predicts that new players will buy the same gun, since they cannot use another gun yet and buy more ammo. Which is in his opinion the wisest thing to do.

This results in the same situation.

Doing the starter missions, it became very clear to Crone that MindArk has little or no interest in free to play players. Logic, they don't make money for the company. A higher sweat price could potentially mean less deposits or at least a difference in the relation players/deposits. Mindark needs to adjust that and find a way to lower the sweat price.

The fact that MindArk doesn't care about new players isn't that relevant. WE are the business holders. Not MindArk. If we want sales, WE need to focus on customer retention.

That would be like a business saying "Well my business failed because the government doesn't care about ensuring my business is successful". Entropia is a free market. We should start acting like it.

Talking about MindArk's concern with player retention is kind of an excuse. As traders, we should step up and do our part. If even half of us did that, could you imagine the change? If you want to make money, don't lean on MindArk.

But it will not come to that. To most people Entropia is a game. So if you like to hunt, you need to sell now to buy ammo. This means you are willing to receive a bit less for your sweat or loot. There will always be a price drop. Sweat is still dropping in price, slowly, but dropping.

Hunting and mining will always net a loss. This loss is made up in sweat for new players, which keeps them in the game. I know that seems like a "broken record" response, but, well.... you know.

In short, keep players in the game and make them buy from you and it compensates for the sweat bump while netting you higher volume which translates into profits. Simple as that.

So, let Crone know when you start buying at 4 ped per kilo. Crone still has some in storage.

I'm doing that right now. And, it's working for me. However, I only sell to people who refer to themselves in the first person. It's a personal business ethic of mine - so let me know how that goes, then message me on world and we'll talk. :tiphat:

That's what got me off sweating within the first week and that was when sweat was 14 ped / 1000 and a few months before that it was 40ped / 1000 but we had the sweating skill limit at that point.

Sweat is a tiny part of the economy, to really make it move then crafting has to be front and centre but that's difficult to do when even MA doesn't appear to have any faith in it any more.

Ultimately people have to believe it's worthwhile to deposit.

If people can make enough to shoot stuff occasionally, they'll find it's worth it to deposit, say, five dollars.
That's how you hook 'em :wise:

I think, too often, we expect people to get in the game, love it, and drop a hundred bucks. The reality is that the economy in the real world just doesn't lend itself to frivolous spending like that. As vets, we need to give people a reason to stay. MindArk won't do it, but if we do, then there's a real money-making potential there.

it's not that hard for us to do. We just need to put in a little investment...like anything else in the game, and be a little bit less of the sour-boots vets that most of us are :p

I don't think this is the case at all. There's a possibility that we would see the resurgence of sweating guilds, but after a while, boredom kicks in. Nobody is going to burn that much game time for a little return. (...)

I see thousands of people burn thousands of game hours hunting and crafting and still deposit frequently, so I thing you are incorrect.

I see thousands of people burn thousands of game hours hunting and crafting and still deposit frequently, so I thing you are incorrect.

Apples and oranges. This is for skilling - sweat gathering can skill evade, but people hunt, mine and craft with the hopes of
  • Hitting a HOF / Global
  • Skilling up for later to eventually do something like open a shop
  • Generally Turning a profit

and most of those people do all three, which is a heck of a lot more exciting then left clicking for sweat for hours XD

...I agree. This is why we need to cut this time in half, or else we scare away non-depositors. Doing so is severely limiting our economy to depositors only, and although they are our top spenders, you still are dismissing a huge chunk of potential income....

Crone's recommendation to go to the nearest psych does not change at 4 ped per kilo; that's 2 ped per hour and equals a value of $ 0.20. Crone does not see any sweater for longer than the first couple of hours as potential income. Those are free to play players. It doesn't really matter how Crone looks at it, they cost money. If not directly from Crone, it costs MindArk money, which they will immediately charge to Crone or others.

saying "People sweating for 5 hours are insane" and then turning around and saying "but for those people crazy enough to do it: I'm still going to undercut you" is a bit backwards, don't you think? It's this mindset that causes new players to leave. And, like it or not: every time a player walks, so does a few potential sales. It's basic retail practice.

It's not backwards at all. Sweating for a long period of time with the sole purpose of hunting for 15 minutes is crazy. The fact that those sweaters are willing to sell for less, does not mean they are being undercut, it just confirms the earlier assumption they should see a psych. That doesn't change the fact anyone paying 2 ped / kilo is currently paying too much.

You keep saying they have more ped -> they will buy crafted weapons. A good mentor would tell the sweating disciple to spend his ped wisely and use that rubio he looted on the last run. His 20 ped ammo, no need to buy a gun at all, will last for 1 hour. If the disciple cycles through his loot in a good way it will last for a couple more hours. If the new player decides the weapon is too small, the mentor will tell him to get a tt gun to avoid mu.

The assumption that a better funded sweater will buy a crafted or looted weapon for that matter, is incorrect in Crone's opinion.

A customer that has no money to spend is no customer. Also basic retail practise.

There will always be people selling for less, this is true. But those people need to view that as a Mistake, like someone selling a gun for too low would. If we can foster that kind of environment it would benefit us all.

Paying too much for your purchases is counted as bad business. It could even be counted as bad management which is punnishable in case of bankruptcy.

That's not true, because you're not factoring in the change in player retention that the increase will have.

They are non depositers. If they buy your goods it is financed with ped from other players who are not buying your goods. Their hard earned dollars are being used by free to play players. Therefore they cannot spend it themselves.

Let's say that right now, 1 out of every 10 players stays.

Paying players and maybe 1 out of 1000 free to play players.

Let's say that person sells 5 k of sweat to you at 2 ped, and buys two things from the auction house for 10 ped. Money gone. everyone nets a loss.

Crone assumes you meant Trade Terminal here. It's not a loss, the guy goes hunting, he loots stuff.

now, lets say three out of every ten players stay.

That is triple the amount of players generating (eventually) 2000 free to play players paid for by 1000 players that care to deposit their hard earned dollars.

The next part is where you actually explain your statement, Crone is sorry for breaking it up in very little pieces.

Those three sell 5 k of sweat to you, each, for 20 PED. then, they buy things from you instead because they have more money, netting you a return right away (for argument, let's say this return is 90%).

This part is something Crone does not agree with. The new player sells the trader/crafter his sweat for 20 ped (3 players, 3 times) and spends 18 ped (90%) of that at a new gun to hunt with? He can now buy 2 ped ammo and shoot for 5 minutes, including using the teleporter from Twin Peaks to the hunting fields? No, the new player still uses his rubio or the no mark up tt gun and buys ammo.

Or did you mean the new player buys a gun from the trader/crafter and the crafter only gets a 90% return on that, meaning another 10% loss? Either way, these are very bad deals.

then they go hunt, and sell you their loot because they got a good deal from you, which you use to craft a vehicle, which you sell on auction, which nets you another 20% in profits.

A newby should(!) sell you the sweat at 4 ped per kilo and see someone else for the lowest price for his new gun. Which obviously is the no mark up gun from the TT or the rubio he looted on the run he did from your overpriced sweat.

Now the new player stays, you make your money (because YOU got their sweat money and not the TT) and everyone wins.

If you go out hunting, the large part of your consumed ped is ammo. This comes from the TT. Unless you use melee weapons. Then the highest costs are repairs. The largest part of the sweat money, which the buyer paid twice as much for goes to the tt still. The only change is: more ped went to the tt. Although in Crone's mind this isn't a bad thing. Loot is filled with ped that went into the tt.

So far the sweat buyer paid for the entertainment of the free to play player. Nothing has changed except for the buyer to pay for double the time.

At the heart of this, the idea is that we want the traders to get the money from sweat and not the TT. When that happens, profit happens.

This is where Crone disagrees. The sweat money wasn't there until you paid for it. Sweat has hardly and value up to that moment. The newly recruited player will spend most on ammo at the tt, one could argue about the ped spend on the new gun. Although according to Crone that will go to the tt as well. Assuming he did not loot a gun yet.

The fact that MindArk doesn't care about new players isn't that relevant. WE are the business holders. Not MindArk. If we want sales, WE need to focus on customer retention.

That would be like a business saying "Well my business failed because the government doesn't care about ensuring my business is successful". Entropia is a free market. We should start acting like it.

Now this is where your post, in Crone's opinion, is really off. We are the consumers, not the business holders. Some of us treat it like a business and thrive by making ped, others treat it like a game (or casino) and thrive in entertainment value. Part of marketing is knowing your customer. 1000 of the customers are paying customers, 1 of the customers is a free to play customer.

Crone is very happy with those free to play customers he has, they stand for the possibilities of Entropia Universe. If Crone's disciples decide to be a free to play disciple, Crone will encourage that and will give advise that will lead to just that, long term sweating is not part of his advise ever. Sweating leads to exit, with few exceptions.

A working business model would focus on... wait for it... the paying customer.

Entropia is a free market, Crone agrees, up to a certain limit. In a free market with unlimited resources prices will go down, always. Entropia Universe is a market like that; free market and no limit on resources. When prices reach the borders of a certain bandwidth MindArk steps in and takes appropriate (or not) action. This is done by someone they call a balancing manager. Here is the limit of a free market. This is what Crone calls devine intervention in our little universe. This also happens when items are won during an event. These prizes are actually the equivalent as a government adding money to the economy by just printing it, which, if not done carefully leads to deflation. Wait.. did the prices of high end items drop recently?

Talking about MindArk's concern with player retention is kind of an excuse. As traders, we should step up and do our part. If even half of us did that, could you imagine the change? If you want to make money, don't lean on MindArk.

No excuse here, fact. MindArk needs paying customers, not enough paying customers, or even unbalanced numbers will have an impact on their profitability, which will impact the game, more and more server issues as a result. Paying players will leave and there will be no Entropia Universe left. Maybe this is a bit an overreaction, but it draws a nice picture everyone can understand.

If half of the traders would buy at 4 ped per kilo those traders will be broke soon, they buy buy buy, but do not sell sell sell. Sweat is not a necessity in our little universe, there are substitutes. Maybe for the repairers amongst us sweat is a necessity. Crone would imagine that profession is killed by a higher sweat price.

And exactly, if Crone wants to make money he does not lean on MindArk, no, MindArk leans on Crone... and every other paying player. Thank you everyone to make this game possible.

Hunting and mining will always net a loss.

You should get a mentor, the link to Crone's mentoring thread is below.

This loss is made up in sweat for new players, which keeps them in the game. I know that seems like a "broken record" response, but, well.... you know.

In essence you are saying that paying players should pay more for sweat (or products depending on sweat) to keep non paying players in the game longer, this to facilitate a higher income from the same players that you have been and will be sponsoring for a longer time. In short you are paying for your own goods, money out > money in since part of your sponsoring ends up in the tt for ammo. Then Crone did not calculate substitute goods (that do not depend on sweat) that suddenly became more attractive.

In short, keep players in the game and make them buy from you and it compensates for the sweat bump while netting you higher volume which translates into profits. Simple as that.

Ah, you make them buy your goods? Crone would recommend every player to sell for the highest price you can get and buy for the lowest price you can get. It's a free market afteral.

I'm doing that right now. And, it's working for me.

Everyone has his own tricks to make some ped. Crone heals people or just deposits.

However, I only sell to people who refer to themselves in the first person. It's a personal business ethic of mine - so let me know how that goes, then message me on world and we'll talk. :tiphat:

Racism, discriminating! :D How can Crone ever not be Crone?! Crone did not expect an attitude like this from the socialist you are showing above.

Apples and oranges. This is for skilling - sweat gathering can skill evade, but people hunt, mine and craft with the hopes of
  • Hitting a HOF / Global
  • Skilling up for later to eventually do something like open a shop
  • Generally Turning a profit

and most of those people do all three, which is a heck of a lot more exciting then left clicking for sweat for hours XD

You forget people gladly pay for entertainment. Yes there are a few gamblers in this game and a few people that make or hope to make a profit, the majority is just playing a game.

Yes: sweating is boring, let's not encourage new players to find out Entropia Universe is boring. Show them the exciting side of Entropia. sponsoring is not part of that.

I was going to reply to everything individually, but the biggest difference in our points is that you view non-depositors as an expense and I look at them as a profit, and that you have a skewed perspective on retention. If I apply that point to everything you said, you can see the disconnect - so there's really no need to go back through it all.

Assuming that sweaters have no money to spend is silly. They do have money. They earned it from MindArk - and if you think that the game will balance itself out by charging back to you, then I would like to re-iterate the concept of retention and the increase of potential depositors. Sure, these sweat gatherers may be more patient than you, but that's no reason to assume they aren't a customer.

If you're willing to hedge on the notion that they don't have money or that buying from them will negatively impact you somehow, that's on you - but EU will never grow if we apply that mindset. So, let me know how it works out for you. I'll tell you now though, that every non-depositor is a potential depositor. Throwing them to the ocean with concrete shoes because you view them as an expense is absurd. Every one of them is a potential depositor, and the more you disregard, the less opportunity we have.

I would read this.

And this.

Also, if you're going to tell me that I need a mentor for stating a fact that Mining and Hunting will always net a loss (except for those rare casino-hits, I guess) then.... I think this conversation is pretty much over anyway.

Good luck doing what you're doing.

Also: you're right. A lot of people are here just to play the game.
Keep them here.

Crone finds this slightly offending, but he will try one more time to explain you why Crone thinks what he thinks. Then he will let you think what you think.

Yes, you need a mentor if you can't hunt or mine without making a loss. No, it's not the occassional one either. Read about greenleaf mining company for a change. Practical example of how even you can make a profit. It is more fun and rewarding than sweating too. But apparently you would rather not learn.

Interesting how you are actually calling Crone's view a skewed one (Crone had to look skewed up) but not come up with anything than assumptions yourself. Crone would like to keep any customer that is willing to pay (second article of yours, headline), but not any customer just wasting time and resources.

Crone also would appreciate if MindArk gets paid, it's what keeps the game running. Non depositors do not pay MindArk. They cost money, server, service, time. Especially if that category of players, grows to 2/3 of the customer base. MindArk is not Wargaming with several 100 million players.

Sweaters do not earn from MindArk at all. Sweat has a close to 0 tt just to make sure MindArk has no costs inside the game as well. It is you who is paying for them. You have 4 ped tt and the sweater has 1 pec tt, after the trade you have 1 pec tt and the sweater has 4 ped. It's that simple. Then the sweater buys a gun from you at 2 ped tt and at 110% markup. Now you have 2.10 ped and 1 pec tt and are 1 gun down. The sweater has 1.90 and a 2 ped tt gun. Did this 2 ped gun appear out of nothing? No, you crafted it.

How did MindArk pay for this? You did. If the 110% is enough to pay for your loss in tt value + markup while crafting, that's ok. Is it also enough to pay 2 x the price for sweat? That's great. Apparently it works for you.

Ofcourse sweaters can be a customer. Especially if they sell their sweat to you at 4 ped and then spend it with any crafter. But it only means you are not spending those 4 ped with that crafter/miner/hunter/etc. No win, no loss there.

Crone agrees we should not disregard any new player, we buy their sweat and try to convince them, sweating is not worth doing for an extended period of time. In the mean time we teach them how to play the game hoping they will deposit. When it is clear they are very patient and appreciate the social aspect of sweating we help them by buying their sweat for market value, which at this moment is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 ped per 1000. Depending on how much you want and when you want it. If you like the sweater and think he has potential invest in the friendship and give him a gun.

You don't raise your kid by doubling (is that even a word) his pocketmoney, you raise him by teaching him how to earn money. That's what we call mentorship.

Assuming that sweaters have no money to spend is silly. They do have money. They earned it from MindArk -

This is where you are wrong. Sweaters do not earn from Mindark. They earn from other players. whether it's by selling sweat or hunting, other players pay their way. Loot in mobs is put there by other players. If a non depositing sweater gets an ATH, mindark doesn't pay that.. other players do.

This is where you are wrong. Sweaters do not earn from Mindark. They earn from other players. whether it's by selling sweat or hunting, other players pay their way. Loot in mobs is put there by other players. If a non depositing sweater gets an ATH, mindark doesn't pay that.. other players do.

This whole game you will play player vs player, you never play against the bank :)

Crone finds this slightly offending, but he will try one more time to explain you why Crone thinks what he thinks. Then he will let you think what you think.

Yes, you need a mentor if you can't hunt or mine without making a loss. No, it's not the occassional one either. Read about greenleaf mining company for a change. Practical example of how even you can make a profit. It is more fun and rewarding than sweating too. But apparently you would rather not learn.

Interesting how you are actually calling Crone's view a skewed one (Crone had to look skewed up) but not come up with anything than assumptions yourself. Crone would like to keep any customer that is willing to pay (second article of yours, headline), but not any customer just wasting time and resources.

Crone also would appreciate if MindArk gets paid, it's what keeps the game running. Non depositors do not pay MindArk. They cost money, server, service, time. Especially if that category of players, grows to 2/3 of the customer base. MindArk is not Wargaming with several 100 million players.

Sweaters do not earn from MindArk at all. Sweat has a close to 0 tt just to make sure MindArk has no costs inside the game as well. It is you who is paying for them. You have 4 ped tt and the sweater has 1 pec tt, after the trade you have 1 pec tt and the sweater has 4 ped. It's that simple. Then the sweater buys a gun from you at 2 ped tt and at 110% markup. Now you have 2.10 ped and 1 pec tt and are 1 gun down. The sweater has 1.90 and a 2 ped tt gun. Did this 2 ped gun appear out of nothing? No, you crafted it.

How did MindArk pay for this? You did. If the 110% is enough to pay for your loss in tt value + markup while crafting, that's ok. Is it also enough to pay 2 x the price for sweat? That's great. Apparently it works for you.

Ofcourse sweaters can be a customer. Especially if they sell their sweat to you at 4 ped and then spend it with any crafter. But it only means you are not spending those 4 ped with that crafter/miner/hunter/etc. No win, no loss there.

Crone agrees we should not disregard any new player, we buy their sweat and try to convince them, sweating is not worth doing for an extended period of time. In the mean time we teach them how to play the game hoping they will deposit. When it is clear they are very patient and appreciate the social aspect of sweating we help them by buying their sweat for market value, which at this moment is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 ped per 1000. Depending on how much you want and when you want it. If you like the sweater and think he has potential invest in the friendship and give him a gun.

You don't raise your kid by doubling (is that even a word) his pocketmoney, you raise him by teaching him how to earn money. That's what we call mentorship.

I'm sorry you're offended, but a lot there just doesn't make sense to me.

-Earning money from mining would be the same as earning it from sweating - you would be earning it from MindArk. If you earn from mining, cool - but you can't really bash sweaters from earning from the same place you are.

-Non depositors take up server space and resources. You're absolutely right, but they're an investment like anything else. You have to take some hits to turn some into depositors.

-Sweaters do earn from MindArk. If MA didn't want sweaters to earn money, sweat wouldn't exist. MA does a lot behind the scenes with small adjustments to keep the price of sweat up Read this over, and look at the bottom of part one for evidence of that.
-You're right, sweating is not a profession. We should get people off of sweating as fast as possible. So, yes, putting PED in his pocket to help him skill while you teach him how to earn will help - and should be a part of mentorship.

Here's the point: It does work for me. And, if everyone did it, we would keep more people, which means more depositors. At the end of the day, it's about player retention. More players means more sales. More sales means you make up for your investment in volume. Kind of the end of story.

No, they don't. Look at the link I put above. They get their PED from us, sure - but they earned it from MindArk, who will always cater to a certain volume of non-depositors. The same is the case of mining. They may get their money from the AH, trades, or TT, but you earned it from MindArk. The question is, do you want those PEDs to disappear into the Trade Terminal, or get spent on players and cycled back into the economy?

I guess all I'm trying to say is this:

-Increased sweat value means player retention
-Player retention means more depositors.
-More depositors means more sales
-More sales makes up for the margin on sweat, and after the point at which volume passes 100% ROI, it's all extra profit.

MA gets more deposits. We get more players, we get more money in our hands. Player retention = win at the end of the day.

I don't see why that's such an outlandish idea.

And, if everyone did it, ...
But they don't, and you can't force them. The market ist a natural force and the ultimate equalizer. It seems to have found its balance at the current price level. You could as well try to push back the tide with a bunch of friends. If you had the money to buy up every bottle of sweat the community produces until you pulled the price up to your desired level, then you can probably do that. But don't forget that sweat is unlimited, so people will just sweat more, and more people will register to do it once they catch wind of your generosity. You got to be a real-world government with the power of access to taxpayer's money to pull such a thing off. The road to hell is plastered with good intentions and the history books are full of it.

And in being blinded by good intention, you forget one crucial bit: Where does the money come from? For every sweater to be paid, there has to be a buyer who deposits and is willing to pay. So you want to help the non-depositors and totally forget the other side of the trade. It. Just. Doesn't. Effing. Work. You could do this inside a society of like-minded folks, which is totally legitimate. But don't expect the whole world to follow suit.

If you want to increase sweat value you need to increase consumption first.
And with increase consumption i mean a lot more as is production of sweat.
So what you could do ?
Convince MA to develop mind force further...
Try to promote events or things witch use sweat.
For example to craft golden key on Arkadia crafter need 50k sweat for single click, so see why that key is not crafted so often.
Or on Calypso to spawn Hussk each time it need 500K sweat so try to see why it is not spawned for a year or more.
Well for last one you can try and find asshole who is hiding daikiba raging bull blood part in storage or to annoy MA to make it dropping again on daikiba wave boss - to finally collect all parts needed to spawn Hussk.
You could advertise consumption of crafted boosters (its like pills from strongboxes but crafted) and support crafters to find resources needed as it consume sweat too.
You could advertise vehicle repairing profession as it need welding wire as crafters of welding wire consume sweat a lot.
There are many ways to consume sweat in EU, Just try to bost consumption over what is now sweat production.
Maybe new fuel (crafted using sweat) to bost speed of vehicles or ships.
Maybe adding additional functions to pets witch could consume products crafted with using sweat too.

No, don't try to suggest MA to remove Synthetic Mind Essence from termina and to return to old way using ME for mindforcerers. I lived that, there was simply not enough sweat on market for daily needs and without MF ammo (ME) - MF will be dead again.
But as I said you can annoy MA with new ideas like buff chips or other areas of possible consumption.

Reactions: San
I don't see the point of all this whining. The guy wants to help and all of a sudden lots of people come criticize? Is like my uncle used to say, monkey sits on it's tail to talk about other monkey's tail. Let the guy do his job, if you're happy help him, if you're not #bitchaboutMAnerfs.

But they don't, and you can't force them. The market ist a natural force and the ultimate equalizer. It seems to have found its balance at the current price level. You could as well try to push back the tide with a bunch of friends. If you had the money to buy up every bottle of sweat the community produces until you pulled the price up to your desired level, then you can probably do that. But don't forget that sweat is unlimited, so people will just sweat more, and more people will register to do it once they catch wind of your generosity. You got to be a real-world government with the power of access to taxpayer's money to pull such a thing off. The road to hell is plastered with good intentions and the history books are full of it.

You're right, I can't force anyone to do anything. All I can do is say: "I think we should do this". And I'm perfectly aware of that. But if it were to happen, there's still really no denying that it would be beneficial in the long term. It's not generosity, it's an investment.

And in being blinded by good intention, you forget one crucial bit: Where does the money come from? For every sweater to be paid, there has to be a buyer who deposits and is willing to pay. So you want to help the non-depositors and totally forget the other side of the trade. It. Just. Doesn't. Effing. Work. You could do this inside a society of like-minded folks, which is totally legitimate. But don't expect the whole world to follow suit.

I didn't forget anyone. This isn't generosity. I'm not just asking traders to give out money.
what I'm asking we do is come together to look at long term profits.

By investing in new players we are creating the opportunity to keep them, and get them to deposit.
Traders put forward a little money to make money. All I'm saying is that we should approach sweat gatherers like any other investment. It's not some insane, community-dividing idea. It's just "hey. one of these 10 guys might make me a ton of money - I'm not going to miss that opportunity".

If we added 1,000 depositors by this next time next year doing this, and they stayed in the game for 3 years each - and of those 50 are now regularly buying from you - what would that do to your profits?

If you want to increase sweat value you need to increase consumption first.
And with increase consumption i mean a lot more as is production of sweat.
So what you could do ?
Convince MA to develop mind force further...
Try to promote events or things witch use sweat.
For example to craft golden key on Arkadia crafter need 50k sweat for single click, so see why that key is not crafted so often.
Or on Calypso to spawn Hussk each time it need 500K sweat so try to see why it is not spawned for a year or more.
Well for last one you can try and find asshole who is hiding daikiba raging bull blood part in storage or to annoy MA to make it dropping again on daikiba wave boss - to finally collect all parts needed to spawn Hussk.
You could advertise consumption of crafted boosters (its like pills from strongboxes but crafted) and support crafters to find resources needed as it consume sweat too.
You could advertise vehicle repairing profession as it need welding wire as crafters of welding wire consume sweat a lot.
There are many ways to consume sweat in EU, Just try to bost consumption over what is now sweat production.
Maybe new fuel (crafted using sweat) to bost speed of vehicles or ships.
Maybe adding additional functions to pets witch could consume products crafted with using sweat too.

No, don't try to suggest MA to remove Synthetic Mind Essence from termina and to return to old way using ME for mindforcerers. I lived that, there was simply not enough sweat on market for daily needs and without MF ammo (ME) - MF will be dead again.
But as I said you can annoy MA with new ideas like buff chips or other areas of possible consumption.

Most of this is out of anyone's control and is why I don't talk about it. I'm not here to whine about the price of sweat. I'm here to try and get a point across that if we buy higher, we keep people, which correlates to profit for traders.

I don't see the point of all this whining. The guy wants to help and all of a sudden lots of people come criticize? Is like my uncle used to say, monkey sits on it's tail to talk about other monkey's tail. Let the guy do his job, if you're happy help him, if you're not #bitchaboutMAnerfs.

:wtg: Thank you :wtg:

I'm prepared for the backlash. No trader wants to hear "buy higher" even if the numbers make sense.

A lot of times I feel like I should use the "unpopular opinion" puffin meme for this thread -
but if you look at the responses on my blog and on facebook, and in the society I'm running, and in my profits - it's clear to see that the idea is working.

I want Entropia to thrive, and player retention is at the core of that.

"But if it were to happen, there's still really no denying that it would be beneficial in the long term."

This is an assumption and in Crone's opinion it is not true.ok :)

"It's just "hey. one of these 10 guys might make me a ton of money - I'm not going to miss that opportunity"."

That one was mostlikely going to deposit anyways. One of those players that understand: good games are not for free.

"If we added 1,000 depositors by this next time next year doing this, and they stayed in the game for 3 years each - and of those 50 are now regularly buying from you - what would that do to your profits?"

What you might have accomplished is that the new players buy from you and not from some other trader. This is good for you, yes, but not for the game(makers) and definately not for the EU economy. Still... it's a trick to make money, that's good, if it allows you to pay 4 ped per 1000 sweat, that's great.

"I'm here to try and get a point across that if we buy higher, we keep people,"

But the wrong ones... those that will deposit, will deposit anyway. By paying more for sweat you only postponed the deposits to a later time.

I want Entropia to thrive, and player retention is at the core of that.

This is something Crone agrees with.

This is a marketing problem though. It starts with the marketing campaign telling that Entropia Universe is free to play. It is, for the first few hours of playing, but after that it's going to cost you. This brings in the wrong crowd for the game. Second has to do with the very high gambling resemblance. People that play a game, make a deposit of $ 10, $ 20 find out they need to grind grind grind to make it last and still be lucky or at least not be unlucky. Third problem is the low skilling progress. In other MMOs you are top level in 2 weeks. Here you are not even out of the newby level in 2 weeks. In 1 year you might be able to call yourself midlevel and high end is just unreachable unless taking up a morgage.

But hey, Crone likes the game a lot, some new players do too.

By investing in new players we are creating the opportunity to keep them, and get them to deposit.
Traders put forward a little money to make money. All I'm saying is that we should approach sweat gatherers like any other investment. It's not some insane, community-dividing idea. It's just "hey. one of these 10 guys might make me a ton of money - I'm not going to miss that opportunity".

If only people understood what basic things like demand and supply are, and how they work, then yes. But they don´t, and therefore do not treat this game like an investment, but as entertainment. People for example, keep hunting the same mob even if they lose peds. That´s entertainment. If you want peds, only do an activity, when such activity is worth it, economically, even if it´s speculation.

The fact that MU is so low, and that it continues in that trend, besides a bigger player base, tells you a lot. Specially, when they concentrate more on a swirley, than on what they are looting. People don´t care, enough. Some do, but not the mayority.

So, even if those new players stay, MU will still depreciate.

Last edited:
What´s more, you are speculating that this will work. If it´s already working for you, fantastic. Keep doing it, I don´t complain. However, if you are a mentor, you will know that out of X disciples, X amount stay, and then those that stay... In your case, how many will be faithful and loyal, and help to make you money? Don´t you think they´ll buy that weapon cheaper from someone else instead?

Because that´s also what people do in this game. Undercut each other, even when there´s no need. That also kills the MU, as we have seen.

If we want the MU, or the economy to get better, we need to change the mentality of the player base who plays it.

I understand Crone's point of view, but using it as lever for OP post. If was not by the support like this, some good players that once bought my sweat for 5P/k I would never had passed the 1st month, and here I am since february 2013. I complain a lot too, because in this year and a half I've seeing MA throwing the game on the mud, adding shitty pets, reducing loot, increasing odds to fail on every single task, if you don't be careful you might fail to fart on your own house. So I'm not an ubber yet to do this kind of support but I agree that this kind of incentive is what keeps players on EU, specially on this planet where everyone wants to eat the other alive.

If only people understood what basic things like demand and supply are, and how they work, then yes. But they don´t, and therefore do not treat this game like an investment, but as entertainment. People for example, keep hunting the same mob even if they lose peds. That´s entertainment. If you want peds, only do an activity, when such activity is worth it, economically, even if it´s speculation.

The fact that MU is so low, and that it continues in that trend, besides a bigger player base, tells you a lot. Specially, when they concentrate more on a swirley, than on what they are looting. People don´t care, enough. Some do, but not the mayority.

This is a correct assessment.

The problem will remain until MA puts in item sinks and upgrade options for all existing gear simultaneously. By doing both of the following the value of crafting goes up, as the crafted items can be broken down into useful constituent parts or used as a whole in the item upgrade process.

Players will utilize all avenues that increase their avatar value, and will pay accordingly. Grinding without a purpose becomes grinding with a purpose once all items become consumable in order to create better versions.

"But if it were to happen, there's still really no denying that it would be beneficial in the long term."

This is an assumption and in Crone's opinion it is not true.ok :)

"It's just "hey. one of these 10 guys might make me a ton of money - I'm not going to miss that opportunity"."

That one was mostlikely going to deposit anyways. One of those players that understand: good games are not for free.

"If we added 1,000 depositors by this next time next year doing this, and they stayed in the game for 3 years each - and of those 50 are now regularly buying from you - what would that do to your profits?"

What you might have accomplished is that the new players buy from you and not from some other trader. This is good for you, yes, but not for the game(makers) and definately not for the EU economy. Still... it's a trick to make money, that's good, if it allows you to pay 4 ped per 1000 sweat, that's great.

"I'm here to try and get a point across that if we buy higher, we keep people,"

But the wrong ones... those that will deposit, will deposit anyway. By paying more for sweat you only postponed the deposits to a later time.

We're both making assumptions I guess. Yours is that the depositor in question will deposit anyway, mine is that they won't. I think we can just humbly agree that this is the core of why we're taking different side on this and I absolutely respect your view.

Honestly I want to be able to view it like you - that the game by itself is enough to convince people to deposit. I just don't think it is. I believe people that would have deposited are walking due to the short volume of time they can stay before they have to pay.

Thank you, by the way, for the meaningful debate. I really appreciate it.

This is something Crone agrees with.

This is a marketing problem though. It starts with the marketing campaign telling that Entropia Universe is free to play. It is, for the first few hours of playing, but after that it's going to cost you. This brings in the wrong crowd for the game. Second has to do with the very high gambling resemblance. People that play a game, make a deposit of $ 10, $ 20 find out they need to grind grind grind to make it last and still be lucky or at least not be unlucky. Third problem is the low skilling progress. In other MMOs you are top level in 2 weeks. Here you are not even out of the newby level in 2 weeks. In 1 year you might be able to call yourself midlevel and high end is just unreachable unless taking up a morgage.

But hey, Crone likes the game a lot, some new players do too.

I completely agree - this game is marketed wrong, but the way I see it, I can't fix their marketing. Instead I'm trying to help the player economy come up to meet what MindArk is pushing. I have no idea if it will work. But I'm going to try.

I can't argue with that. In the real world, this is solved by unions. In Entropia, where everyone works for themselves? This is the best idea I have. However, I do believe that a larger player base would help solve this in the long run. More players means more consumption and higher volume - and I think that alone will be enough for the economy to keep itself afloat.

What´s more, you are speculating that this will work. If it´s already working for you, fantastic. Keep doing it, I don´t complain. However, if you are a mentor, you will know that out of X disciples, X amount stay, and then those that stay... In your case, how many will be faithful and loyal, and help to make you money? Don´t you think they´ll buy that weapon cheaper from someone else instead?

Because that´s also what people do in this game. Undercut each other, even when there´s no need. That also kills the MU, as we have seen.

If we want the MU, or the economy to get better, we need to change the mentality of the player base who plays it.

I can't argue with that either. However, I'm not really suggesting they buy things from me (or anyone) for more money.
It's still up to the trader to offer a fair price and win their buyers. This is about increasing profits through increasing volume.

In other words:
  • Traders begin to push higher sweat value as an investment in the speculation of an increased player base
  • Speculation (hopefully) pans out, player base increases. Sweat supply increases. Trade volume equally increases, so more is earned as more product is moved by traders. 110% MU on 20 sales will net more profit than 110% on 5 sales, so overall profit goes up. There will be an ROI point between increased sweat value and profit on trade, and that is something we will have to work towards.
  • sweat demand increases as trade volume increases, MU stays generally the same. New players buy from Traders more thanks to increased pocket cash - profit is further boosted.
  • More potential depositors stay, making the increase in sweating a non-issue for MA. Then it's on them to maximize the increase in the player base (incoming hate here about how MA does nothing, I know. But humor me).
  • Traders Win. Sweat gatherers win. MA wins.

That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it :wtg:

I understand Crone's point of view, but using it as lever for OP post. If was not by the support like this, some good players that once bought my sweat for 5P/k I would never had passed the 1st month, and here I am since february 2013. I complain a lot too, because in this year and a half I've seeing MA throwing the game on the mud, adding shitty pets, reducing loot, increasing odds to fail on every single task, if you don't be careful you might fail to fart on your own house. So I'm not an ubber yet to do this kind of support but I agree that this kind of incentive is what keeps players on EU, specially on this planet where everyone wants to eat the other alive.

^ This is exactly what I'm talking about. :D:D:D:D

Back