Is it too much to ask for a dev blog?

FauconIoji

Provider
Hang out: Icarus. Apartment: Medusa South Tower, F
Faucon Ioji VanAlkel
I'm just saying, that dev blog would go a long,

long,

long way to helping with item hype, player satisfaction, and even the market by spurring speculation.

Is it really that much to ask to devote one guy to doing it?
Hell, I'll volunteer my services for minimum wage. Id' happily do it just to help out.

Most A-List MMOs out now or "on the horizon" do it - why aren't we on board?

Do you have one from another game I could read? I really want to check it out, and see what sort of blog this looks like. :confused:

Also Star citizen:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/devtracker

And really any game on kickstarter.

Things like these have a "this is what we're doing" blog that keeps players who want to be in the know informed, and validates long "fix" times.

Most games on steam have a dev blog as well. It's really kind of standard practice these days.

In an rce, they can't really broadcast everything they are doing. Players will speculate and destabilize the economy by going out and buying whatever resources that will be consumed OR they may initiate a panic and people sell items or act recklessly. This happens even in non RCE games.. so let's keep this in perspective. They are doing this with compets.. since it doesn't have much impact on the existing game. There are reasons why they and planet partners can't be too transparent... real money is on the line.

Games on Kickstarter don't yet have a 'product'. All they have to sell is an idea. No wonder they need a blog.

Entropia already has the entropiauniverse.com website, with the 'Latest Buzz' which is regularly updated (http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/ - last update yesterday)
Most of the planets also have their own website with a 'News' section (eg http://www.planetcalypso.com/news/ - last update a week ago)
And several of the planets also have forums.

FauconIoji said:
..long way to helping with item hype, player satisfaction, and even the market by spurring speculation.
'Market speculation' is a two-edged sword, imho.
Not an issue with a subscription based game, but holding a potential for expensive losses in a RCE game like Entropia.
Although it would be interesting to have a fly-on-the-wall insight into the day-to-day operations of MindArk and the Calypso dev team, I can also understand that they may feel it necessary to keep some distance, revealing new features only when they are ready for release.

Although it would be interesting to have a fly-on-the-wall insight into the day-to-day operations of MindArk and the Calypso dev team, I can also understand that they may feel it necessary to keep some distance, revealing new features only when they are ready for release.

As pointed out in a RCE they really can't say what it is they are working on at any given moment but as you said here they could say at least how their day is going and the coffee that they drink now and again. Hell even a live stream of them rebooting the servers would be cool! :)

Doesn't EU have some kind of bulletin?

LOL a blog! They don't even use Devs corner. Just keep depositing. Eventually ComPet will be finished and they might pay attention to EU again.

In an rce, they can't really broadcast everything they are doing. Players will speculate and destabilize the economy by going out and buying whatever resources that will be consumed OR they may initiate a panic and people sell items or act recklessly. This happens even in non RCE games.. so let's keep this in perspective. They are doing this with compets.. since it doesn't have much impact on the existing game. There are reasons why they and planet partners can't be too transparent... real money is on the line.

I thought a lot about this after I said it - and you're totally right. Thank you for pointing that out. +rep

Games on Kickstarter don't yet have a 'product'. All they have to sell is an idea. No wonder they need a blog.

Entropia already has the entropiauniverse.com website, with the 'Latest Buzz' which is regularly updated (http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/ - last update yesterday)
Most of the planets also have their own website with a 'News' section (eg http://www.planetcalypso.com/news/ - last update a week ago)
And several of the planets also have forums.

'Market speculation' is a two-edged sword, imho.
Not an issue with a subscription based game, but holding a potential for expensive losses in a RCE game like Entropia.

I'm very familiar with the buzz section. I write blogs as responses to their posts there frequently :D But thank you for linking that here. I probably should have done so in the OP. :duh:

I still think it might be nice for them to demonstrate that they aren't just sitting on their haunches somehow... but as mentioned above, a dev blog probably isn't the way to go about that. I wonder what would be though?

Is it really that much to ask to devote one guy to doing it?

In short "yes", even half an hour of someone's time once a month is too much to ask for MA. MA don't do communication end of story. Numerous times in the past they've had a "wait no, we're going to start talking this time honest we will!" only to fall silent 2 posts later. It's been done and forgotten about many times before. MA won't change till they are taken over,.. and I suspect that can't happen

LOL a blog! They don't even use Devs corner. Just keep depositing. Eventually ComPet will be finished and they might pay attention to EU again.

Nooo it won't. Don't be a silly billy ;).

Crumpet is just one in a long line of recent cash grabs. Bedroom coders produce more evidence of their work than MA do with their few crumbs of concept art and game concept that is so loose in definition it could mean anything.

In short "yes", even half an hour of someone's time once a month is too much to ask for MA. MA don't do communication end of story. Numerous times in the past they've had a "wait no, we're going to start talking this time honest we will!" only to fall silent 2 posts later. It's been done and forgotten about many times before. MA won't change till they are taken over,.. and I suspect that can't happen

Nooo it won't. Don't be a silly billy ;).

Crumpet is just one in a long line of recent cash grabs. Bedroom coders produce more evidence of their work than MA do with their few crumbs of concept art and game concept that is so loose in definition it could mean anything.

This school of thought is exactly why I posted what I did. Even if they just said "yeah, you know. We're doing some stuff and things" every now and then it would go a long way.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love it if they did this and applaud you for asking. I just know it can't happen because it has failed so many times in the past.

Back