Loot Theory: Crafting days

Society
Death Unlimited
Johan Roadkill Deadmeat
So I always had this theory and when ever I stuck to it I did quite well but that would also keep me from playing as much as I wanted:laugh:

Anyway I kinda miss all the loot theories so I'll post mine!

(I haven't been so active for long so there has been some game changes that my theory would benefit from and some that makes it all harder)

Crafting days:

The idea is simple, there is a finite amount of resources in circulation(this I'd say is pretty much proven and also abused, for example pyrite in pvp4, where some would horde it all and then once it's all been crafted only then they would go mining like crazy and get a better than average return).

Therefore as soon as I started seeing a lot of crafting hofs it would mean that for that moment a good chunk of the rescources could be tied up in different avatars who were cycling it back in to the pool.

For me this was a sign to stop hunting and when I didn't usually my returns would worsen as more crafting globals appeared.

One could take the whole thing further and deduce what loot where being held up the most by watching the globals and then continue hunting mobs that dropped other things.
(A while back mobs would drop more of the same but now they are more pron to drop specific things which makes it all easier for a smart hunter to decide which mob to go for.)

Crafting days theory never worked with mining for me but mining never worked no matter what I did anyway so I'm sure that resources would thin out even in mining.

QUESTION: How does crafting days work with explosive bps?
If we assume there is 100m ped worth of muscle in the universe then mobs dropping muscle wouldn't be affected at all but this is probably not the case.

The game probably balance loot as tt value meaning that all items suffer in some way when a lot of tt is trapped in avatars before being cycled in to the pool even though no specific resource is being withheld.
What loot suffers is determined by the chance of looting them.

This gets more confusing once you consider that this probably applies to ammo and anything consumable as well(which is why non-decaying rings and pills being hold up is bad in more ways than one in my eyes).

To further feed the conspiracy troll within me I've noticed similar mobs often doing well(for example mutants)probably because they drop similar loot.

Another thing to consider is that making a truly random algorithm to handle all that loot whilst maintaining a balanced return is advance stuff for such a small company(if it were simply random or psudo-random you'd see different swings in loot). But if you have the system balance loot based on what's missing it would keep the market from saturating and give different returns without randomizing loot at that point(of course when a mob is killed then the algorithm would kick in but if you're hunting creature with saturated loot your chances are slimmer from the get go)

The most positive thing about my theory is that it gives the professions more depth as a perceptive hunter could gain more by altering when and what he hunts based on what's going on in the universe.
(sadly that perceptive hunter was never me:cool: I'm way too lazy and impatient)

Back