I need to rant about my doctor

Ace Flyster

Marauder
Dave Ace Flyster
As the title says, I am pissed off and need to shout.

I have had high blood pressure and high bad cholesterol since I was a teenager. Family trait unfortunately.

Now because I am not overweight (keen runner), and because I am under 50, my doctor didn't want to put me on any drugs.

I did that 24 hour bloodpressure test, my average was 157/97. Which is pretty standard for me, and in the bad zone.

With a family history of heartattacks and strokes, what in hell is her bloody problem? It took me 10mins of complaining at her to give me a 2 month dose of the minimum ace inhibitor.

I had surgury a year ago, and they refused to do the surgery until my blood pressure came down, and they had to put me on drugs to do it!!! If that isnt an indication, I don't know what is.

I have no issues with taking pills everyday for the rest of my life, if it means i don't get a heart attack.

Cholesterol, good was 1, bad was 5.5, now i don't really know what those numbers mean, but she said my bad needs to be under 3.5. But again, because of my age and weight she refused to address the issue. Her computer said i was a 5% risk. Fuck the computer, lets get me healthy, and prevent issues rather than react after issues have happened.

My god, what do i need to do???

Bear in mind my previous doctor tried to blame smoking, and didn't listen when i said I have had this pre-smoking. Since I have given up smoking for 1.5 years, that is one thing proven to these idiots that it wasnt related.

I think i need to have heart attack to show these idiots, i need proper medication!!!

ARGGGHHHH!!!! What happened to prevention rather than reactive measures??????

(sorry to be a pain, i had to rant somewhere!)

Rgds

Ace

Typical. :(

You can either try to sue them ($$$), or change doctors.

As the title says, I am pissed off and need to shout.

I have had high blood pressure and high bad cholesterol since I was a teenager. Family trait unfortunately.

Now because I am not overweight (keen runner), and because I am under 50, my doctor didn't want to put me on any drugs.

I did that 24 hour bloodpressure test, my average was 157/97. Which is pretty standard for me, and in the bad zone.

With a family history of heartattacks and strokes, what in hell is her bloody problem? It took me 10mins of complaining at her to give me a 2 month dose of the minimum ace inhibitor.

I had surgury a year ago, and they refused to do the surgery until my blood pressure came down, and they had to put me on drugs to do it!!! If that isnt an indication, I don't know what is.

I have no issues with taking pills everyday for the rest of my life, if it means i don't get a heart attack.

Cholesterol, good was 1, bad was 5.5, now i don't really know what those numbers mean, but she said my bad needs to be under 3.5. But again, because of my age and weight she refused to address the issue. Her computer said i was a 5% risk. Fuck the computer, lets get me healthy, and prevent issues rather than react after issues have happened.

My god, what do i need to do???

Bear in mind my previous doctor tried to blame smoking, and didn't listen when i said I have had this pre-smoking. Since I have given up smoking for 1.5 years, that is one thing proven to these idiots that it wasnt related.

I think i need to have heart attack to show these idiots, i need proper medication!!!

ARGGGHHHH!!!! What happened to prevention rather than reactive measures??????

(sorry to be a pain, i had to rant somewhere!)

Rgds

Ace

I dont want to sound as a dick here but if this is the case that you have high blood presure and overwight why do you not workout so you get rid of the overwight problem that problaby is the main problem with your bloodpresure aswell?

Pills is not the answere here, and please dont come with the common (i dont have time to workout 1h a day) :p

I dont want to sound as a dick here but if this is the case that you have high blood presure and overwight why do you not workout so you get rid of the overwight problem that problaby is the main problem with your bloodpresure aswell?

Pills is not the answere here

I am not overweight.

Re-read it :)

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: although you did point out the one thing that annoys me, (not about you), you have just shown the EXACT same problem with the entire medical proffession, assumptions being the mother of all f***ups.

Last edited:
Typical. :(

You can either try to sue them ($$$), or change doctors.

I got a change of doctor, and it was she that finally agreed to the bloodpressure pills. I am just hoping in two months time, when they run out. She will let me do another 24 hour test, as I am presuming I will need more than double the dose. (exactly what happened pre-surgery)

I just have to wait two months now, and pray she listens.

Rgds

Ace

I just remembered, my previous doctor, after blaming smoking, she tried to blame my diet. And made me give up all dairy products for a month. (that didn't help either.)

Rgds

Ace

Answer is:
if you get the pills you will not visit her again (unless for next batch - thats why she gave you the small batch anyway)...

I really sometimes think that doctors really do not want us to get healed because there is small risk they will just loose their jobs in the end... Of course not all act like that (so i do not try to offend anyone here who might be a doctor and has serious aproach) but it just sometimes seems like it ;).

Of course there could be any other reason for that - this is just my opinion.

Falagor
:bandit:

You really have to be careful because a lot of meds have a risk of pretty bad side effects. Maybe your situation is such that the cholesterol and blood pressure are less of a risk than the meds. Just a thought.

Actually when I smoke my pressure goes down :laugh:

But be patience and trust what she said!
I'm pretty sure she will deside the best for you.

Sharing this here, mean you feeling for this forum something more than "just another forum"! +rep

Answer is:
if you get the pills you will not visit her again (unless for next batch - thats why she gave you the small batch anyway)...

I really sometimes think that doctors really do not want us to get healed because there is small risk they will just loose their jobs in the end... Of course not all act like that (so i do not try to offend anyone here who might be a doctor and has serious aproach) but it just sometimes seems like it ;).

Of course there could be any other reason for that - this is just my opinion.

Falagor
:bandit:

I have the pills, got them on the way to work from the docs. 56 of them, once a day. I will put the pressure on her, until she agrees to re-test me.

You really have to be careful because a lot of meds have a risk of pretty bad side effects. Maybe your situation is such that the cholesterol and blood pressure are less of a risk than the meds. Just a thought.

I have done 2 months of ace inhibitors before, for surgery. No side affects. I don't know about long term, but I am more than happy for continous tests.

On one good note, she has me booked in for 3 weeks time to check my kidneys haven't given up, blood test.

Rgds

Ace

Im sorry to hear that Ace!

Dont give up tho!

I won't, i will beat her down, till my blood pressure is in a sensible range. :)

Actually when I smoke my pressure goes down :laugh:

But be patience and trust what she said!
I'm pretty sure she will deside the best for you.

Sharing this here, mean you feeling for this forum something more than "just another forum"! +rep

:ahh:

Rgds

Ace

I just remembered, my previous doctor, after blaming smoking, she tried to blame my diet. And made me give up all dairy products for a month. (that didn't help either.)

Such an ignorant, brainwashed, retarded doctor. But I don´t want to go into those waters. Like I said before, "typical".

I got a change of doctor, and it was she that finally agreed to the bloodpressure pills. I am just hoping in two months time, when they run out. She will let me do another 24 hour test, as I am presuming I will need more than double the dose. (exactly what happened pre-surgery)

I just have to wait two months now, and pray she listens.

Rgds

Ace

I am glad about that, at least you have an opportunity here. I don´t, but I know of people who are thin and have high cholesterol. It´s true. And one of them got a stroke (tennis teacher). And I can allow myself to speak on this, my mother and grandad are doctors. With my grandma, she attends the doctors like if she were dating them, my mother complains a lot about a lot of decisions the doctors make, and advices my grandma on what to have an operation/surgery, and so on to take.

We all think the system there is perfect, but it´s not. Mistakes happen, and they are subtle too in most cases.

It´s your health.

Perhaps somebody deemed you've already outlived your usefulness to the system and will only be a burden henceforth. "Socially responsible early demise" (our German term for this sounds even more cynical) as a policy can for obvious reasons not be enforced through the healthcare system, but more often than not appears to be nudged if one doesn't manage to deny one's perceptions. Good luck and check your dodge/evade skills. A homeopathic daily dose of red wine or any preferred form of ethanol helps widening the blood vessels. A doctor who doesn't have this piece of advice in his repertoire is none.

It´s your health.

Exactly! Don't mess with your health. My dad did, he refused to go the doctors for 50 years, to his detriment (stroke). Now he goes whenever he is told and is much healthier for it.

I am trying to stop this from happening to me.

Its the same issue when talking to docs about drinking. I used to be in pharm field sales, and the docs told me, 'no matter what the patient says on how much they drink, we automatically double the amount'. So i always tell docs half of what i actually drink.

Now i do understand, docs need a large pinch of salt when listening to patients, it just feels like cat and mouse.

Like the weight issue.......

If i had high blood pressure at 12 stone for 30 years, then i stopped exercising and put on another 10 stone; if i went to the doc at 22 stone and said I have high blood pressure. They would say it's the weight causing it. If you tell them it is not the weight cause you have had high blood pressure at 12 stone for 30 years previously, they will presume you are lying.

That is the issue. (I am not overweight, just to clarify). Docs hear what they want to hear.

Rgds

Ace

Its the same issue when talking to docs about drinking. I used to be in pharm field sales, and the docs told me, 'no matter what the patient says on how much they drink, we automatically double the amount'. So i always tell docs half of what i actually drink.

Now i do understand, docs need a large pinch of salt when listening to patients, it just feels like cat and mouse.

Like the weight issue.......

If i had high blood pressure at 12 stone for 30 years, then i stopped exercising and put on another 10 stone; if i went to the doc at 22 stone and said I have high blood pressure. They would say it's the weight causing it. If you tell them that you had high blood pressure at 12 stone for 30 years they will presume you are lying.

That is the issue. (I am not overweight, just to clarify). Docs hear what they want to hear.

I could not agree more. I also know someone who worked in the pharmaceutical industry, and from her advice, whatever you do, have the good quality known brands of meds. There´s a big difference.

What's your thoughts on self prescribing? I know many healthy fit above a certain age (doctors included) people take low dose aspirin to reduce the risk of heart attacks. An option might be to tell your doctor that your planning on taking this as a preventative measure, and if she thinks that's a problem? It is often given to higher risk people, amd is even safe enough to be used in pregnancy so not a nasty drug :) you should be able to buy it yourself at a pharmacy.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anti-platelets-aspirin-low-dose-/Pages/Introduction.aspx
You could of course ask for anxiety meds, that the whole situation is stressing you out and your mental health is being affected , then see if she will give you the other ones ;)

I am not overweight.

Re-read it :)

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: although you did point out the one thing that annoys me, (not about you), you have just shown the EXACT same problem with the entire medical proffession, assumptions being the mother of all f***ups.

Ok sorry I didnt read all, since i was in a leauge of legend game atm. But ok so your not overwight. but do you still workout? cause it can help with blood presure alot and doctors do not want to give you drugs stright ahead. I think they want you to make a change in your life that might impact your bloodpresure.

Atleast try workout its better then drugs IF that dosent work then go to a doctor and demand drugs

What's your thoughts on self prescribing? I know many healthy fit above a certain age (doctors included) people take low dose aspirin to reduce the risk of heart attacks. An option might be to tell your doctor that your planning on taking this as a preventative measure, and if she thinks that's a problem? It is often given to higher risk people, amd is even safe enough to be used in pregnancy so not a nasty drug :)
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anti-platelets-aspirin-low-dose-/Pages/Introduction.aspx
You could of course ask for anxiety meds, that the whole situation is stressing you out and your mental health is being affected , then see if she will give you the other ones ;)

All good ideas :)

Aspirin is a difficult one. Dad took a really low dose, (half of the smallest dose tablet), for 30 years which caused internal bleeding, he almost died from it. So I am a little apprehensive. The funny thing though, afterwards they prescribed aspirin?

Something to do with coated aspirin vs uncoated aspirin.

Friends take low dose aspirin, but maybe a diuretic? For some people they are just as good as reducing blood pressure. But there is also cholestrol, and i have no idea how to battle that yet.

I like the idea of telling the doc, I am going to self-prescribe, unless you do something about it. See what she says.

(Must spread some rep....)

Rgds

Ace

Ok sorry I didnt read all, since i was in a leauge of legend game atm. But ok so your not overwight. but do you still workout? cause it can help with blood presure alot and doctors do not want to give you drugs stright ahead. I think they want you to make a change in your life that might impact your bloodpresure.

Atleast try workout its better then drugs IF that dosent work then go to a doctor and demand drugs

I do weights for an hour each day, (not really heavy weights, I don't want to be massive), Cross trainer for 10 mins each day. And currently running a mile each day, (I would run more, but i have shin splints.) Pre-shin splits I was running 30 miles a week.

I hope this helps

Rgds

Ace

I do weights for an hour each day, (not really heavy weights, I don't want to be massive), Cross trainer for 10 mins each day. And currently running a mile each day, (I would run more, but i have shin splints.) Pre-shin splits I was running 30 miles a week.

I hope this helps

Rgds

Ace

Well if you truly do that and dosent smoke and eat healty food and still have "crazy" high bloodpresure then try another doctor and see what he say. it might be like you said that he just dosent give a shit have happend before.

there are tons of natural ways to get a lower blood pressure and they are always better then die chemical way, weight and sports are only one part, you need to care about salt, alcohol, stress, fat consum etc as well and there are some vegtable juices which bring down your pressure as well :)

Well if you truly do that and dosent smoke and eat healty food and still have "crazy" high bloodpresure then try another doctor and see what he say. it might be like you said that he just dosent give a shit have happend before.

Now you know how I feel :)

Shin-splints are really pissing me off as well, i could have a whole knew thread on that (but i won't) I love running, and doing a ponzy 1 mile a day...sucks ass.

Rgds

Ace

there are tons of natural ways to get a lower blood pressure and they are always better then die chemical way, weight and sports are only one part, you need to care about salt, alcohol, stress etc as well and there are some vegtable juices which bring down your pressure as well :)

Alcohol, i drink once a week, usually friday night. But i drink to excess on that one night a week. Salt, no idea probably too much.

Stress, fair amount of that the moment.

I will not give up my one night a week alcohol. Salt I could definitely change, stress is going to take a while. Doesnt really account for High Blood pressure as a teen, though.

Rgds

Ace

My diet is NOT great. I do eat lots of veg and fruit and fibre. But i also eat a LOT, and i will eat anything. One of the reasons why I exercise. Probably eat to excess.

According to my last blood test, sugar levels are good.

Rgds

Ace

Well, excess is never good, but you need neither a doctor nor a forum to tell you that. I did this like 3-4 times a year only, and the damage showed in blood tests. I had to stop this, but it doesn't mean I can't have a little bit. If it goes along with socializing, why not go to the pub every day, but have only one drink? Unless it interferes with necessary medication, of course. In which case these Fridays will sure kill you anyway. But I'm not one to give advice... I'd screw it, too, and rather die happy than a grumpy old coot.

It's become normal now for doctors to suggest possible lifestyle changes rather than just handing out pills.
In many cases, it gives a far better resolution of the medical issues.

However, there may be individual circumstances that require a different approach.
With evidence-based medicine, the best way to approach this is to present your own evidence clearly, not just as anecdotes.
It also helps to be reasonably across some recent medical research about your particular condition.

When you say it's a family trait, I assume you're not just referring to your Dad.

Make a list of all family members with a history of hypertension, and/or hypertension-related medical issues.
If possible put these together into a family tree.
Color-code it, if you feel that makes it easier to see the familial pattern, but above all make it simple.
You'll have about 1 minute to explain it.

Take that with you when you next see your doctor.

And ask your doctor if they're familiar with recent findings on genetic risk groups as predictors for strokes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease.
Ask if you can be gene-tested for this.

It's become normal now for doctors to suggest possible lifestyle changes rather than just handing out pills.
In many cases, it gives a far better resolution of the medical issues.

However, there may be individual circumstances that require a different approach.
With evidence-based medicine, the best way to approach this is to present your own evidence clearly, not just as anecdotes.
It also helps to be reasonably across some recent medical research about your particular condition.

When you say it's a family trait, I assume you're not just referring to your Dad.

Make a list of all family members with a history of hypertension, and/or hypertension-related medical issues.
If possible put these together into a family tree.
Color-code it, if you feel that makes it easier to see the familial pattern, but above all make it simple.
You'll have about 1 minute to explain it.

Take that with you when you next see your doctor.

And ask your doctor if they're familiar with recent findings on genetic risk groups as predictors for strokes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease.
Ask if you can be gene-tested for this.

Clear cut observational piece for the doc, sounds like the best way to go.

As for hypertension, sis, dad, mum, mum's mum, dad's mum, all mums sisters (x5) and one of her brothers have it. Strokes just dad. Heart attack, dad's dad, great grampa.

But I agree, a clear picture of family tree with the issues taken to the doc with me, will definitely help. Better than me having to try to explain everytime.

Rgds

Ace

Back