Just stumbled upon this video - I wish I was immersed in Entropia like I was for PE

I gotta say as a new player (been playing about three weeks). It took about a week for me before I realized I probably do not want to continue this journey. I'm still debating on that.
Don't let the selfish ones ruin it for you. Some have been around for a long time and have experienced the game when people (not just your socmates) knew your name and cared what you do.

What you guys are saying is absolutely true. First of all, the players in this community that I have experienced are at minimum not helpful, and truthfully it feels like purposefully unhelpful. This feels like a big secret society. I go to the oil rig because that was the advice I got. I get sniped 3 times in a row.
Pure, shameless greed. People don't want to share the pie, its like they consider it some secret only they know. In a way, free advice here (good advice) is like free money. Whoever suggested you go to the oil rig should uninstall. That's a sure way to get a new player to quit. How stupid.

I fly or walk around, and see shops that are all but abandoned, and likely not selling anything. I see people offering healing services for free. I see banks that no one goes into, with areas within to sell items and nothing is on the shelves.
I still consider shops/malls to be one of MAs greatest failures. They made all these shops within a system that doesn't inherently promote their use over the auction house. It's near impossible to run a store against the power of the auction house. You would need to sell goods that are rare, rarely needed, incredibly high value, very specialized, or custom. I owned a shop for quite some time, selling all kinds of things, but the other problem is just the inaccessibility of the shops in general. Auctions are everywhere. Shops are not. It was an MA cash cow.

I see people sweating and complaining about it, trying to outsell each other by .01pec and still no one is buying. I see forum post after forum post complaining about bad loot, and I can certainly say I have not had any good loot. My returns are nowhere near 90% (and I have spent hours and hours reading tutorials about how to do this).
Sweat was already a pretty rough way to get started back in 2006, even with generosity from wealthier players. Now, to me, I find it to be absolutely inane. I would never recommend someone start like that. It's painful. If you can afford to, you need to put in even a small sum. Your enjoyment of it will change dramatically. And you need some REAL advice on being efficient about it. If you can't, there are other ways, perhaps any kind of services in need.

As for loot, people do need to remember that, at the end of the day, this is a gambling kind of entertainment. MA may advertise it as your fortune awaits! But the house always, always wins. If you play the game as its base (hunting , mining, crafting), you will be expected to pay them.

I try to search out ways to make money to at least sustain playing this game. I quickly find out, you have to have super high levels to even have a shot at that, and those people are writing on facebook about quitting the game because they cannot survive. (Hairstylist and designer, wont say names)

I do a little crafting and alot of research about crafting. Surprise, get super high levels and then it's a slot machine.
If you are trying to make money, look away from the basic game play. As I mentioned above, you will be paying MA for those, never believe otherwise. Seeing someone else hit big is hard to swallow but know that while they hit big, 1000 other people lose. The money has to come from SOMEWHERE. So anything that costs decay, or ped to do to earn money, will involve investment. I know there used to be services (I've been gone a while), for example booking flights, or helping connect players with rare items, for which players charge commission. These are "player services". They are the only TRUE way to make money without investment. Unfortunately, with greater functionality (multi-channel chats), these roles are also going away. You really have to think up something outside of the box, find a niche. Sadly, MA has taken a lot of those away as they "bettered" the game.

Above all of this though, I explore planet calypso and it feels ULTRA, ultra, disjointed. None of the missions make sense, some of them even incomplete....
I was here before the missions started. I don't really put too much energy into them. In a way I feel they confuse the crap out of new players. I'm sorry this part was a pita. Know that they are NOT a requirement for you to do. I hear there are other missions too, that don't cost anything. They help give you some direction. But do know that before missions, we just go into the world, got dumped into Port Atlantis (which looked A LOT DIFFERENT back then) and we just wandered around until we found our place in this world. You don't HAVE to do missions.

And MA support has always been slow and largely unhelpful. But take heart. The game has made changes to fix some very common support things. I remember once I got a global inside a rock and was told that this was all part of the "realism" of the game. Needless to say I didn't get my global. I wasn't pleased. And now you can summon claims! Progress.

Find a good mentor, someone who isn't a selfish @#!%. Explore. If you can, put in 10 bucks and BE CONSERVATIVE with it. I agree: it's lost a lot of its sparkle. Frustratingly, it's really on the players now to put some of it back. Because we all know MA is too busy with... something. :rolleyes:

/ramble

Eli makes some good points.

One thing I always find myself missing from the old days is that weird music. It was eerie, otherworldy, and must plain weird. There's one song playing a lot nowadays, it sounds like something you'd hear in the dentist's office. Cripes!

The new Entropia has great graphics, some lush, beautifully-rendered environments, but it just seems to lack soul. Everybody's out on a grindfest, being a dumbass EP autoclicker, or has their face stuck in auctions, standing around like deaf-mute simpletons.

Auctions added a lot of convenience to the game, but to be honest, the game's social interaction factor was a bazillion times higher when there was just trading. Auctions have done a big job of murdering that interaction and reputation factor. Not some silly in-game calculated reputation, but REAL-WORLD reputation. Good traders, and I considered myself one of the better ones, really could establish a reputation by being fair and honest and knowledgeable. If you were a great trader, and not just some spammer goof who was asleep at the switch most of the time, you could really stand to make a lot of money, make a lot of contacts, and build that rep. With the introduction of auctions, that all flushed down the toilet. Reputation means very little. People who HOF a lot get a "reputation" but it's not really a true reputation, it's just that people see the name in lights, and feel like they know them. That's not the same thing, IMHO.

I really think the game has become way too bloated. Way too much crap in the game now with stackables that few people want, items that have almost no markup, and the way things are going now for hunting and mining, there's very little incentive to do those things, when all you see are endless EP crafting globals & HOFs and ATH's. What garbage.

Something has to right the ship. It's foundering badly on the reef.

Well you used to still recognize people by the things they crafted or the mobs they hunted. It was always, "oh so-and-so is on dasp again" or "there goes the scopes again." But then it was cool because sometimes I'd run into those crafters while they were blasting their way through their wallets and I would ask if they wanted some narc. :laugh:

..back when narc had markup...

:(:(:(

*** sigh ****

47bbed30f6.JPG

love it! there's also an old video that bruud made that brings me back to the old rig days, the game has changed so much since then! Hopefully I can work out how to embed it here.

Turbonegro <3

I loved that game and miss it terribly.

Last edited:
Back