Question: Is mining more than a dice roll ?

I feel like this is largely the case. The "spawns" are just regions where a particular type of ore/em has a higher chance to be found, but each drop is just a pull of the slot machine handle, like all of the other activities.

I've often thought it would be interesting, though I have not had the PEDs to potentially lose doing it, to do an experiment where you just stand in the same spot and drop 1000 times to see if the returns are any different from actually moving around.

Has already been tested in the past and if there is a NRF; bombing it again after an interval still receives a NRF.

I feel like this is largely the case. The "spawns" are just regions where a particular type of ore/em has a higher chance to be found, but each drop is just a pull of the slot machine handle, like all of the other activities.

I've often thought it would be interesting, though I have not had the PEDs to potentially lose doing it, to do an experiment where you just stand in the same spot and drop 1000 times to see if the returns are any different from actually moving around.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?275132-claim-after-nrf-in-same-spot

it is possible to claim after a NRF

It's not even remotely a dice roll. Plenty of us are doing just fine. I bet you believe in a lot of the crap that brings bad returns. The 1st of which being believing it's gambling and not a very personal experience, minus the occasional really lucky (even unearned or un-gonna-earn after) hits

It's not even remotely a dice roll. Plenty of us are doing just fine. I bet you believe in a lot of the crap that brings bad returns. The 1st of which being believing it's gambling and not a very personal experience, minus the occasional really lucky (even unearned or un-gonna-earn after) hits

There is an element of luck when mining. Weather that "luck" is based on a random seed or the actions of other players, it still remains luck ie a dice roll. You can reduce the impact luck has on your mining sure, but that does not create an engaging game.

Here is an example. Lets assume that resource deposits exist at static locations on the map. If I know the respawn times and locations of these deposits, if I do not find it where I am expecting it, I can assume that another miner got to that resource first. Based on that assumption I can also deduce that this may not be a good time to mine in this area as it may have been mined already !!

The above would lead to quite boring gameplay. Drop a probe, nope someone got to it first so I have to move 2km down the lane and try again...

There are of course several other ideas with a random chance based system being the most common and with good reason. This is an awesome example and also supports a dynamic system as the developers themselves have stated.

So question now is which dynamic system is being used ? Is it a known instance or home-brew ?

Who knows it may just use a typical RPG's random drop loot table :p

Last edited:
It would be an interesting test if two miners went out side by side dropping bombs at the same time (both for the same ore /enmatter). What the results would be. If the returns of the individuals changed at all from single runs, etc. This would give an indication as to if the claims are generated personally or over given area, regardless of other miners in the same area.

As to the dice roll question, I think there is an element of that but also a lot of other factors such as, skill levels, finder used , area mined and of course a lot of luck :)

Last edited:
It would be an interesting test if two miners went out side by side dropping bombs at the same time (both for the same ore /enmatter). What the results would be. If the returns of the individuals changed at all from single runs, etc. This would give an indication as to if the claims are generated personally or over given area, regardless of other miners in the same area.

As to the dice roll question, I think there is an element of that but also a lot of other factors such as, skill levels, finder used , area mined and of course a lot of luck :)

Skill level, Finder and area would simply roll on a different loot table.

Players would effect each other in the old VUs but I have not found any evidence in the later years to support that.

As R4tt3xx said, me and my fiend go out mining together quite alot, and I dont see any differences in the area if I am alone or mining with him.

Similar skill, similar finders

As R4tt3xx said, me and my fiend go out mining together quite alot, and I dont see any differences in the area if I am alone or mining with him.

Similar skill, similar finders

This sort of back up my thoughts on mining today, other miners don`t seem to affect your returns as I have even had globals where someone else had just bombed. Personally I really just take no notice of where anybody gas been and justy mine anyway.
As to the old days I think the system was different, I felt if someone had been over an area recently the returns were down.

I remember The Nightbird had a few interesting ideas in timing/drops but I think they have long been laid to rest.

A dice roll is a very interesting concept. If you know the speed, rotation velocity and all parameters in the universe you wouldn't be able to solve it due to quantum physics.
So unless a physical RND generator is used; in definition it will be less random.

This should answer your question affirmative. of course, from your perspective it might not make any difference if it was a dice-roll or not. So, practically; I recommend a D20. They are really fun and less expensive :laugh:

This sort of back up my thoughts on mining today, other miners don`t seem to affect your returns as I have even had globals where someone else had just bombed. Personally I really just take no notice of where anybody gas been and justy mine anyway.
As to the old days I think the system was different, I felt if someone had been over an area recently the returns were down.

I remember The Nightbird had a few interesting ideas in timing/drops but I think they have long been laid to rest.

I liked Nightbird's ideas and they seemed to work for a time quite will, but using an idea like that would result in an unfair advantage and thus would have to be nerfed.

In terms of hitrate, I don't really think that area has any effect.

The level of the loot pool seems to have though. It would be suicidal for Mindark to allow players access to resources whose values were not available in the loot pool.

Last edited:
As the question says. Is mining more than a dice roll ?

At the moment, I am very disappointed with the state of mining, actual reliable mining claim predictions are nearly impossible for me at the moment and I am pulling my hair out over it. I have built several models that all work intermittently well, suggesting a random type system. Is there any skill involved in finding deposits ?

Well I can find a claim at approx the same spot if I visit it later. I would say mining works around the same as hunting. It is simply location based.

Well I can find a claim at approx the same spot if I visit it later. I would say mining works around the same as hunting. It is simply location based.

If this is true then why is the average hit rate % so low ?

If this is true then why is the average hit rate % so low ?

Because most people cannot restrain themselves. Only hit the spots where you know is a resource. then go to the next spot. Don't drop in between.

Back