Help: Boar, Phantom or Liakon

whiteknut

Elite
Society
Vikings of Calypso
Snablesnot Male Young
Wanting to do some hunting thinking about getting one of these armors.

Each armor has its ups and downs.

Which one would you get?

Boar and Phantom are both cheap to get, but i am sure Liakon has something good also (despite the price).

Downside of the Phantom is it's low durability. If you're on long hunting sessions, it is a pretty un-eco armor. Boar is a very nice set. Between these 3 options, I would go for the Boar set.

I'd say portable repairs cancel the downside of phantom.

I'd go with phantom due to how versible it is.... laikon is mini angel kinda but imp,cut,stb mobs gets so boring sometimes

(also looks nice:cool:)

I'd say portable repairs cancel the downside of phantom.

I'd go with phantom due to how versible it is.... laikon is mini angel kinda but imp,cut,stb mobs gets so boring sometimes

(also looks nice:cool:)

Portable repair adds another 0.50 ped per repair usage cost ontop of the already pretty un-eco set. I'd still say that Boar has alot higher efficiency and eco than Phantom.

I have slowly been buying a lot of different armor sets and by far liakon is my favorite. It has its weakness' obviously but works for like 80% of mobs in game.

I love my Boar set, nothing more to say :)

Portable repair? Could someone explain how that's possible? First I've heard of it.

Portable repair? Could someone explain how that's possible? First I've heard of it.

There's a portable repair unit and a portable TT unit you can buy of from action. I think they're crafted. I never leave twin peaks without it :)

I had a similar decision to make a couple of months back. For me it came down to the sets i already had. I was running the following at the time

Vindicator
Adjusted Pixie
Viceroy
Ghost
Hunter Mentor Edition
Perseus

Along with various plate combinations. I really like Phantom but it was similar to Ghost. In the end I bit the bullet and bought Liakon which is great as now I can hunt Hogglos, Araneatrox and larger maturity Feffox without healing during each kill. I am also looking forward to using it during Mayhem.

Phantom will cost a little more to use but it's only pecs and won't make a difference mid hunt. The portable repair will be required for the liakon as it's got such a low tt value that mid hunt the decay will screw with the protection.

Liakon is almost double the price of phant/boar and you'll also need a set of bot armour so I don't think it's a fair comparison. When you actually break it down and compare different mobs vs the armours liakon doesn't come that far ahead of phantom and I don't think liakon(+vigi) is worth the peds.

So I'd say this is a straight phant v boar question. Although boar lacks the nice 25 impact of phant and the elec protection (which u over pay for against pure elec mobs due to min decay of phant), boar gives better bot and a bit more in acid/cut/stab plus it's got a higher tt and durability.

Having looked at boar price and been rather surprised at it's current value (within 500ped of phant) I'd go with the boar. I also think that if caly start upgrading armours other than nemesis that boar is a more likely choice than phantom.

Having said all that, and knowing you a little, you'll probably sell it a week later anyway lol

I would recommend getting Boar, for the same reasons Slither mentioned.

Overall it is a well balanced armour set to have for different types of mobs.

having owned boar and now liakon, I will tell you liakon is my favorite armor set that i've ever owned. I actually sold it before and tested out ghoul and hated it in comparison to liakon, so I re-bought liakon again. Boar is nice but since I hunt many imp/cut/stab (and some cold) mobs, Liakon is a no-brainer. In response to everyone's "well you need a bot set when you have liakon", this is true but personally, I think swapping plates on an armor is one of the most annoying things to do in Entropia. I bought a set of mah'ketta for TT+375 or something and put my 6As on there. When I want to go hunt bots, I equip that armor and leave Liakon behind. So much easier than fiddling with plate swapping. If I was you, I'd go for Liakon. Hell, i'll even let you loan mine out for an hour or so if you're on arkadia

I agree that using 2 sets instead of swapping plates is much nicer, but it's not cheap, especially when that 2nd set is to shore up the weakness of the most expensive armour.

Not sure why u hated ghoul so much, if you were to throw ghoul into the mix too I'd definitely choose that. It's advantages over phant are only small but they all add up to a much nicer overall armour.

2012-02-01e.jpg
2012-02-01f.jpg

:yup:

I agree that using 2 sets instead of swapping plates is much nicer, but it's not cheap, especially when that 2nd set is to shore up the weakness of the most expensive armour.

Not sure why u hated ghoul so much, if you were to throw ghoul into the mix too I'd definitely choose that. It's advantages over phant are only small but they all add up to a much nicer overall armour.

I hated ghoul because as I stated before, I hunt mainly imp/cut/stab mobs and when you compare the two, liakon has 21/20/19 imp/cut/stab whereas ghoul has 25/15/14, which I found to be a significant difference in the mobs I hunt. Also, ghoul has lower durability (2600 vs 3000) albeit having a higher TT (474 vs 254). In the end, I didn't find the price tag on ghoul to match what it offers and I'm glad I didn't buy it. But as always, to each their own of course. :)

Also, I don't find a set such as mah'ketta to be very expensive. With a TT of 200ped and MU of around +350-400, I find that a reasonable (and affordable IMO) option to keep as a bot hunting armor, not to mention it offers decent protection for smaller mobs too so it serves a bit of a double purpose in my book. Like I said, it's something that I prefer to do (separate armors for bots vs other mobs - at least until I can get angel/shadow/etc). OP may agree or disagree with me, but I'm just sharing my opinion on the topic :D

Cheers

I have had Liakon since about the time it came out, and I love it. Though, I also have Mah'ketta, Vice, Thunderbird, Viking, Adj Pixie, Stolen, and Vigi. I like each armor for their own reasons. Liakon is probably my most used though.

I've had paradox, merry mayhem, Lion, optac x1. And others.

And now I own a ghoul. With the right skills, this is the top armor for anything. In 10 years, I've never had more fun hunting almost anything.

We have Portable TT's and Portable Repair tool's pretty long already, wonder how such Uber player with massive knowledge don't know about it, or maybe mouth talking too fast than brain are able to think about it.

Lets get back to OP. From all 3 sets id give 3rd place for Liakon, 2nd to Boar and 1st to Phantom.
Like someone mentioned before, Liakon is small edition of Angel, has small TT, not so big protection variety and on top of that - price is way too high.
Boar isn't bad, its nice tbh, for imp/cut/stab mobs and some low lvl robots with right plates, price isn't that high and TT isn't that small either.
But if we're go to Phantom, i think its its much greater version of gremlin/ghost. It gives you ability of hunting way more mobs than just imp/cut/stab ones. Price not high at all today and it has biggest TT of all sets? Yes it decay too, but if you don't like repairing armours, you must consider using L version, thats how i play anyway. Good luck on decision:)

I say none of the above unless you just like to collect sets. My T2,3,4 Gremlin + 5B or 6A is great for most everything I want to hunt (plus I can trade it if I ever wanted to :p ). For instance this last migration I was able to do LT all the way up to Stalkers with it - although I admit that was a bit of a stretch for me. For Eomon I paid a fapper to use my T1 mod2600 on me and it worked out great.

Of course it would have been sweet to have some great armor protection and not have to bother with a fapper, but for the price that people want for Angel or better it just wasn't worth it to me to pay those prices, there are plenty of fappers around. I'd rather save the money and buy more ammo and hunt more to build my HP, Evade and Dodge, the more of that you get, the less armor you need.

Although I will say that I too have considered buying a set of vigi or that other weird looking set for bots so I don't have to change plates, I agree switching plates on one set is a pain in the ass.

On smaller mobs I just go naked.

I might have a different answer if I ever hit an ATH (hint hint MA) :laugh:

We have Portable TT's and Portable Repair tool's pretty long already, wonder how such Uber player with massive knowledge don't know about it, or maybe mouth talking too fast than brain are able to think about it.

So are you just going to stalk every thread I post in and act like a child?

Back