ZPF Mining Log

That reminds me that some people believe finder decay affects your claim size. I personally don't buy that and track my costs the same way you do as decay also needs to pay for finder radius, which one would assume affects hit rate, and the added decay that comes with depth. I've been a bit of testing, but have never been able to detect a difference with any statistical test yet.

I'm with you here. It just doesn't seem likely to me. But a lot of top miners and respected players appear to feel differently. Just wish I knew where to find some hard data.

I've been slowly testing claim sizes with the F-211 (L) and Ziplex Z15. Both have the same depth, radius, etc. but different decay. I keep using one (unamped, ore only) until I find a claim, switch to the other and repeat so they are used in the same area at approximately the same time. This should control for everything else but decay. I'm close to 300 claims now.

The difference between the average claim size on each is 0.03 PED, but that isn't a statistically significant difference (p-value = 0.41 for those familiar with a basic t-test). I'm still doubtful there will be any difference as I would have expected some trend by now, but I'm waiting until a few a few hundred more samples where more minute differences should be detected.

I've been slowly testing claim sizes with the F-211 (L) and Ziplex Z15. Both have the same depth, radius, etc. but different decay. I keep using one (unamped, ore only) until I find a claim, switch to the other and repeat so they are used in the same area at approximately the same time. This should control for everything else but decay. I'm close to 300 claims now.

The difference between the average claim size on each is 0.03 PED, but that isn't a statistically significant difference (p-value = 0.41 for those familiar with a basic t-test). I'm still doubtful there will be any difference as I would have expected some trend by now, but I'm waiting until a few a few hundred more samples where more minute differences should be detected.

This is why I'm so surprised when people express how "sure" they are about the decay being returned in loot. What on Earth could possibly make them so sure? It would be such a minute statistical variation that you could reasonably attribute it to anything. Maybe test something like 10000 claims with two finders with a huge decay gap and then you'd have some powerful evidence.

I think mostly it's just heavily assumed on pure speculation. Which isn't terrible but not quite enough for me to accept it as "fact". To me it certainly "feels" like finder decay "should" be returned in loot, just like weapon decay in hunting.

I have to double check the calculations on my work computer sometime again, but if I recall right, I only needed around 600 claims for each finder to reach the point that I should be able to detect a statistical difference at the level I'm seeing so far. It's still a bit of work, but they aren't bad finders to use when I'm just testing new ground rather than going for my preferred depth. I'll probably post more in the future when I have more data collected.

This is why I'm so surprised when people express how "sure" they are about the decay being returned in loot. What on Earth could possibly make them so sure? It would be such a minute statistical variation that you could reasonably attribute it to anything. Maybe test something like 10000 claims with two finders with a huge decay gap and then you'd have some powerful evidence.

I think mostly it's just heavily assumed on pure speculation. Which isn't terrible but not quite enough for me to accept it as "fact". To me it certainly "feels" like finder decay "should" be returned in loot, just like weapon decay in hunting.

Like I have said before....I personally couldnt care less if people don't believe it. Makes absolutely no difference to me.

The reason, "I know", is because if you go out with a terra8 vs the tt finder, you will finder bugger all II's with the terra 8, but you will find lots with tt finder. Same number of bombs. TT of finder is definitely included, you don't agtree, go test yourself.....i am fed up with always having to provide the data for lazy people. This isnt directed at you ZPF, but at people in general who say, "You are wrong" and i say where is your data, and they say, "I don''t have any"......which is why i have stopped providing proof.

Rgds

Ace

Like I have said before....I personally couldnt care less if people don't believe it. Makes absolutely no difference to me.

The reason, "I know", is because if you go out with a terra8 vs the tt finder, you will finder bugger all II's with the terra 8, but you will find lots with tt finder. Same number of bombs. TT of finder is definitely included, you don't agtree, go test yourself.....i am fed up with always having to provide the data for lazy people. This isnt directed at you ZPF, but at people in general who say, "You are wrong" and i say where is your data, and they say, "I don''t have any"......which is why i have stopped providing proof.

Rgds

Ace

I'm going to assume by "TT Finder" you mean the old school TT finders and not the current ones (that use only 2/3 probes per click vs the 20/30 used on Terra 8).

I use the Terra 5. And I find my fair share of IIs with it to be honest. Mostly in taxed areas, but often in untaxed areas as well. I've used many finders in the past but unfortunately I don't recall if there was a significantly higher amount of IIs with them or not. This is quite an expensive test to run, depending on your standards on what constitutes "ample evidence".

I'm not sure if you equate lack of funds to laziness, if so then I guess I am lazy. But I appreciate those who put in the time and the financial investment to de-mystify these types of things for the community once and for all. Hope to hear from you soon KingofAces...

I'm going to assume by "TT Finder" you mean the old school TT finders and not the current ones (that use only 2/3 probes per click vs the 20/30 used on Terra 8).

I use the Terra 5. And I find my fair share of IIs with it to be honest. Mostly in taxed areas, but often in untaxed areas as well. I've used many finders in the past but unfortunately I don't recall if there was a significantly higher amount of IIs with them or not. This is quite an expensive test to run, depending on your standards on what constitutes "ample evidence".

I'm not sure if you equate lack of funds to laziness, if so then I guess I am lazy. But I appreciate those who put in the time and the financial investment to de-mystify these types of things for the community once and for all. Hope to hear from you soon KingofAces...

Sorry to hijack your thread.......seems i needed to rant about something yesterday.

Finder decay was covered recently (last 4/5 months), and for the life of me i cannot find it. I will keep my posts here clean from now on. I apologise, your log thread doesnt need me to have a go :)

Serica feel free to edit out my post, if you deem it over the top!

And good luck with your runs....you are gonna have a lot saved up in storage :)

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: well that's a first. I just reported my own post lol. I have left it up to Mods whether i was over the top or not.

Run#8

Probes: 133.50 PED
Finder Decay after MU: 8.074 PED
UL Excavator Decay: 0.63 PED

Total misc costs: 8.704 PED

TT return: 105.83 PED

Breakdown:
29.90 Zinc
12.75 Hebred
4.23 Growth
2.82 Devils
3.00 Ado
1.35 Typo
1.78 Melchi
1.64 Nexus
2.88 Acid
0.52 SweeStuff
2.20 Cobalt
2.20 Terrud
8.30 Lyst
2.55 Wenrex
1.00 Bodai
2.08 Star Particles
7.68 Azur
5.00 Hydrogen
3.00 Veda
1.20 Lotium
9.75 Gazz

TT return: 79.27%
TT return (including Finder decay): 73.775%

Return after MU: 120.53 PED

Profit Margin:-9.715% or -12.97 PED

Profit after misc costs: -21.674 PED

Comments: Only two different zones for this run. First tried hunting for Gazz, mostly hit Zinc. After several NRFs decided to switch to my igni spot. Unfortunately did not hit any igni, but plenty of lyst :yup:
The trend continues. Higher TT return when I'm hitting Zinc and Lyst, lower when I'm hitting Gazz and Igni. Still nowhere near that fabled 90% return.

Run#9

Sorry for the double post. These runs were on separate days but I haven't had the time to post them.

Probes: 333 PED
Finder Decay after MU: 20.328 PED
UL Excavator Decay: 1.98 PED

Total misc costs: 22.308 PED

TT return: 228.01 PED

Breakdown:
Growth 7.52 PED
Narc 3.52 PED
Acid 1.60 PED
Nexus 5.65 PED
Erd 5.60 PED
Erion 3.00 PED
Blau 7.52 PED
Adom 3.00 PED
Melchi 10.08 PED
Energized 3.90 PED
Gazz 23.75 PED
Lyta 3.23 PED
Cumbriz 22.05 PED
Binary 0.75 PED
Belkar 19.82 PED
Alice 3.90 PED
Azzurd 4.80 PED
Dianum 6.25 PED
Angelic 3.50 PED
Typo 5.70 PED
Dianthus 5.70 PED
Oil 10.23 PED
Duru 1.60 PED
Lanorium 4.62 PED
Garcen 11.00 PED
Cave Sap 30.42 PED
Iron 1.17 PED
Lyst 30.10 PED
Cald 11.05 PED
Magerian 1.50 PED
Frigulite 15.72 PED
Valurite 6.00 PED
Kanerium 7.50 PED
Zanderium 2.50 PED
Devils 3.76 PED

TT return: 68.47%
TT return (including Finder decay): 62.29%

Return after MU: 333.81 PED

Profit Margin: +0.24% or +0.81 PED

Profit after misc costs: -21.498 PED

Comments: Back on Calypso at last! Decided to go out for a longer run this time. No taxed areas were hit here except for a quick stop at OLA 43. 6 NRFs in a row and way too many mourners made it impossible to carpet bomb. So I left. Don't think I will be returning as it's not even near a teleporter. Lots and lots of NRFs today! Visited many different zones. Still haven't hit a global. Biggest deposits here were 1 Average and 1 Considerable. TT return has yet to improve. I think we're floating around 65-70% at this point (less if you include finder decay), I'll do a full calculation soon. Very happy with the markup on my finds, it's good to be back home on Caly.

Starting to think 90% TT return is a pipe dream for the average miner :laugh:

We shall see, im planning to do a very basic 30 ped mining run, sort of a noobs log for a little mineral prediction spreadsheet that literaly anyone with a bit of excel and math knowledge can build.

Run#9

Sorry for the double post. These runs were on separate days but I haven't had the time to post them.

Probes: 333 PED
Finder Decay after MU: 20.328 PED
UL Excavator Decay: 1.98 PED

Total misc costs: 22.308 PED

TT return: 228.01 PED

Breakdown:
Growth 7.52 PED
Narc 3.52 PED
Acid 1.60 PED
Nexus 5.65 PED
Erd 5.60 PED
Erion 3.00 PED
Blau 7.52 PED
Adom 3.00 PED
Melchi 10.08 PED
Energized 3.90 PED
Gazz 23.75 PED
Lyta 3.23 PED
Cumbriz 22.05 PED
Binary 0.75 PED
Belkar 19.82 PED
Alice 3.90 PED
Azzurd 4.80 PED
Dianum 6.25 PED
Angelic 3.50 PED
Typo 5.70 PED
Dianthus 5.70 PED
Oil 10.23 PED
Duru 1.60 PED
Lanorium 4.62 PED
Garcen 11.00 PED
Cave Sap 30.42 PED
Iron 1.17 PED
Lyst 30.10 PED
Cald 11.05 PED
Magerian 1.50 PED
Frigulite 15.72 PED
Valurite 6.00 PED
Kanerium 7.50 PED
Zanderium 2.50 PED
Devils 3.76 PED

TT return: 68.47%
TT return (including Finder decay): 62.29%

Return after MU: 333.81 PED

Profit Margin: +0.24% or +0.81 PED

Profit after misc costs: -21.498 PED

Comments: Back on Calypso at last! Decided to go out for a longer run this time. No taxed areas were hit here except for a quick stop at OLA 43. 6 NRFs in a row and way too many mourners made it impossible to carpet bomb. So I left. Don't think I will be returning as it's not even near a teleporter. Lots and lots of NRFs today! Visited many different zones. Still haven't hit a global. Biggest deposits here were 1 Average and 1 Considerable. TT return has yet to improve. I think we're floating around 65-70% at this point (less if you include finder decay), I'll do a full calculation soon. Very happy with the markup on my finds, it's good to be back home on Caly.

Starting to think 90% TT return is a pipe dream for the average miner :laugh:

Might take a break from mining for a while. In any case, here are the results of all 9 runs.

TT Spent (Including 1 Level 2 Light Amp, and TT decay on Terramaster 5)

TT Return

1145.01 or 72.01%

Profit/Loss after MU (Including Finder decay with MU, amp decay with MU, UL excavator decay, etc)

-214.05 PED

Not terrible. I usually hit a few globals after this many drops, very strange that I haven't. Hope everyone enjoyed the log!

Chapter 2, Monria!

aIfjAPJ.jpg

Was a short run, decided to burn two Level 5 amps and see if MA felt like returning my PED :)

Hit a 418 PED Zoldenite on the 2nd amp.

TT Profit was around 200 PED, after MU roughly 300 (assuming this Zold sells at current MU)

Lost 100 PED on my last hunt, ~200 PED from this log, so I'm back to even!

Moral of the story is... :scratch2::scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

"dynamic" :wise:

Note to self: Experiment w/ different depths/finders and it seems mining is sensitive to proper timing, try mining @ different times & track results.

Last edited:
A dynamical system that works on a timer ..... Ye dont mine after a large global, the pool is very shallow !!!

Time to continue the log...

Started to get a bit lazy with detailed tracking after my recent 5k+ in HoFs, so I will revive this log for the time being! Hopefully someone else will get something out of it as well. For now I will keep the details simple.

Remember, feel free to post questions, comments, mining tips, words of encouragement, etc! :)

Prologue: After some successful mining on Calypso, I decided to return to Arkadia (Planetside).
Tools used: DSEC L30 (170% MU), Occasionally Level 5 Amplifier (L) @ 103%

Run#1

Cost(with MU): 339 PED
TT return: 225.33 PED (66.47%)
Return after MU: 250 PED (73.74%)
Average MU: 110.9%
Comments: Revisited some of my usual spots. Average MU was not looking too good. Too much lyst and kaz in 8 coins. Zinc in the desert. Absolutely nothing on Khorum Coast. I should not have amped for my first run (but I already knew this :cool:)

Profit Margin: -26.25% or -89 PED

Run#2

Cost(with MU): 392 PED
TT return: 267.64 PED (68.27%)
Return after MU: 302.27 PED (77.11%)
Average MU: 112.93%
Comments: Amped again. More stupidity on my part. Average MU was a little better this time, but not enough to justify amping.

Profit Margin: -22.89% or -89.73 PED

Run#3

Cost(with MU): 185 PED PED
TT return: 168 PED (90.81%)
Return after MU: 199.92 PED (108.06%)
Average MU: 119%
Comments: Tried mining a new area. Unamped (as it should have been from the beginning). TT returns improved but more importantly, average MU now justifies an amp.

Profit Margin: +8.06% or 14.92 PED

Run#4

Cost(with MU): 359 PED
TT return: 359.71 PED (100.19%)
Return after MU: 413.15 PED (115.08%)
Average MU: 114.85%
Comments: Same area as run #3. Average MU went down a bit, but TT returns are starting to even out. This run was amped.

Profit Margin: +15.08% or 54.15 PED

Total Stats for Run#1-4:
Cost(w/MU): 1275 PED
TT return: 1020.68
Return after MU: 1165.34
Profit/Loss: -109.66 PED

Last edited:
Caly & Monria

Prologue: Headed back to Caly. Quick unamped run. Didn't like the results. Frustrated with slow skill gains, decided to pop a skill pill and hit up Monria.

Tools used: DSEC L30 (170% MU), 5 Amplifier (L) @ 102.5%

Disclaimer: Remember the TT return is slightly higher than it seems, as I'm weighing it against total cost (with MU) and not just pure TT input. Laziness. Will probably break this habit soon.

Run#1 (Calypso)

Cost(with MU): 129 PED
TT return: 109.99 PED (85.26%)
Return after MU: 117.84 PED (91.35%)
Average MU: 107.13%
Comments: Back on my home planet. Decided to go for a quick unamped run to test the waters. Was not pleased with the results. Pathetic average MU and lousy TT return. Hopped in my quad and headed to Monria (Because obviously that's where all the MU is :rolleyes:).

Profit Margin: -8.65% or -11.16 PED

Run#2 (Monria)

Cost(with MU): 789.07
TT return: 755.11 PED (95.7%)
Return after MU: 776.08 PED (98.36%)
Average MU: 102.77%
Comments: Bought some amps. Popped a booster. It was nice to see some skill gains for once. Unfortunately the average MU was disgusting. 102%? I didn't hit any Zoldenite or Maladrite. No Dianthus. Barely any Narc. TT return was Ok. But when you're not hitting anything even remotely smelling of markup, it's time to call it quits. Not to mention the insane refining costs of all this garbage. Going to avoid Monria for a while.

Profit Margin: -1.64% or -12.99 PED (-1 PED in fuel, -7 PED to TP back to Caly, -20.99 PED total for Run#2)

Closing comments: Perhaps I'm cursed to slowly wither away my PEDs until I pay MA back for this 5k in HOFs. Only time will tell :dunce:

Prologue: Headed back to Caly after Monria. Did a quick unamped run. Lousy results. 2nd run happened the day after.

Tools used: DSEC L30 (170% MU), 5 Amplifier (L) @ 102.5%

Run#1 (Calypso)

Cost(with MU): 211 PED
TT return: 166.61 (78.96%)
Return after MU: 180.94 PED (85.75%)
Average MU: 108.60%
Comments: Back on my home planet again! Decided to go for a quick unamped run to test the waters again! Was not pleased with the results (again!). Pathetic average MU and lousy TT return (again!). Went to bed after this :wise:

Profit Margin: -14.246% or -30.06 PED

Run#2 (Calypso)

Note: Including pure TT input now, and weighing returns w/ mu vs cost w/mu)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 325 PED
TT return: 271.81 PED (83.63%)
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 331 PED
Return after MU: 314.25 PED (94.94%)
Average MU: 115.61%
Comments: Decided to give Caly another shot. Started off unamped, hit some Dianthus which is selling at an all time high right now. Decided to slap on my last amp (leftover from Monria) and continue the run. TT returns were low, but good ol' Calypso MU prevented me from losing "too" much.

Notable finds: Dianthus (20.70), Ignisium (14.00)

Profit Margin: -5.06% or -16.75 PED

Closing comments: Not doing so great this week. But I have faith the all powerful loot cycle won't let me down! :bowdown: Might head off to Rocktropia next. Or if I'm feeling crazy, Toulan. :dunce:

About time! I think?

Prologue: Rocktropia!!! NEVERDIE has great taste in music :wtg:

Tools used: Emine FS (117% MU), 5 Amplifier (L) @ 102.5%

Run#1 (Rocktropia - Planetside)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 511.44
TT return: 552.35 PED (108%)
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 530.125 PED
Return after MU: 658 PED (124.12%)
Average MU: 119.12%
Comments: Decided to go with emine FS (L) for this run. DSEC MU was hurting my profit and the heavy drops were not suitable for my bankroll. Ended up hitting a decent amount of narc, and less lyst than I saw with DSEC. TT returns have yet to even out entirely, but overall I'm happy with this run. The loot gods are not to be questioned! :bowdown:

Notable finds:
mMeG08c.jpg

Profit Margin: +24.12% or +127.875 PED

Closing comments: Felt like I was due for a global. But was hoping for more than this. Still not in profit after some recent losses, but we must have faith in the 90% return, we must... have faith :bowdown:

Last edited:
Couple of runs on Arkadia

Prologue: Back on Arkadia, since I covered Rocktropia's entire teeny tiny surface area in a matter of hours.

Tools used: Emine FS (117% MU), 5 Amplifier (L) @ 102.5%

Run#1 (Arkadia)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 359.76 PED
TT return: 249.29 PED (69.29%)
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 365.92 PED
Return after MU: 296.60 PED (81.05%)
Average MU: 119%
Comments: Back on lovely Arkadia. Of course it was night time, so I couldn't see anything. Hit the same spot as last time. Went in amped because I know this area is amazing. STELLAR average MU @ 119%. Was feeling great, until I saw the TT returns. But it's amazing how the MU cushioned my losses. Fairly certain TT returns will even out sooner or later.

Profit Margin: -18.94% or -68.54 PED

Run#2 (Arkadia)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 290.83 PED
TT return: 253.74 PED (87.24%)
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 296.98 PED
Return after MU: 275.39 PED (92.73%)
Average MU: 108.5%
Comments: Hit the same spot again. TT returns went up slightly, and MU went down as it usually does to compensate. Don't think it's possible to get less than this avg MU on Ark if you know where to mine, whereas on Caly you can easily see 103-105% average MU in any spot these days, which is just horrendous.

Profit Margin: -7.27% or -21.59 PED

Closing comments: Not loving the inconsistency on Ark, not to mention the snail-pace of auction sales. Will most likely leave and give Caly another try. Or do a light run on Monria to see if MU has improved.

Long one :)

Prologue: Had a nasty run on Hell/Rocktropia. My own fault for trying to mine through a dry period, but the returns are depressing nevertheless. This is what happens when I don't follow my own rules. 2nd run was on Arkadia/AU (50/50).

Tools used: Emine FS (117%), DSEC L30(L) (170%), 5 Amplifier (L) @ 102.5%

Run#1 (RT/Hell)

So I managed to "misplace" the better part of my logs here (hint: Never use sticky notes as a temporary log), so I'll just post the end result.

Total Cost (w/MU, decay): 1540 PED
TT Return: 780.33 PED
Return w/ MU: ~810 PED

Profit Margin: -730 PED

Run#2 (Arkadia/AU)

Total Cost (including minor MU, drill decay): 3077.54 PED
TT return: 2425.17 PED
Return after MU: 2620.61 PED
Average MU: 108.05%
Comments: Okay okay, I dropped treasure, you can laugh at me all you want! But I know you're all jealous of my one of a kind Urn :dunce: ... Average markup was horrible (as expected) due to treasure dropping. Though even without treasure, wasn't having much luck on Arkadia. Kept going anyway because :wtg:. Haven't hit Wenrex in what feels like ages. Looks like it's comparative to Zanderium in rarity nowadays. AU was actually giving me more impressive returns than Planetside (for once!), managed to hit a nice bit of ignisium and dianthus. Average MU would have been closer to 103% without these few lucky hits. At least I finally hit level 36 Prospector :dunce:

Notable finds:
TZmtOT9.png

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Profit Margin: -456.93 PED

Closing comments: Well it's been a hell of a few weeks back in EU. It seems MA wants their 5k in HoFs back :dunce:. Sorry to say that I am disappointed with the current state of mining. After a couple more cycles I will see how I feel, might possibly look into hunting/crafting or withdraw what little PED I have left and take a few months break from EU.

Last edited:
Meh.

Prologue: Shitty run on Rocktropia/HELL, at least Caly still loves me.

Tools used: Emine FS (117% MU), Lv 7 Amplifier @ 106.67%, Lv 3 Amplifier (L) @ 101%

Run#1 (RockTropia - Level 7 Amps)

Total Cost (w/MU): 845 PED
TT return: 582 PED
Return after MU: 635 PED
Average MU: 109%
Comments: Planetside was giving me horrible returns. Only hitting alternative occasionally, with a completely disastrous overall hit rate. Decided to finish my last 2 amps in HELL :dunce:. First amp went amazingly well. Second amp not so much. But continuing Planetside would have been even worse. Will be avoiding RockTropia for a good while. It's been far too inconsistent. Also, never dropping level 7s this recklessly again. I'm on a slippery slope to doing something really idiotic like level 13s. Only going above level 5 if I have confidence in the location/timing of my run.

Profit Margin: -210 PED
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run#2 (Calypso - Planetside - 1x Level 3 Amp)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 141.53 PED
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 145.48 PED
TT return w/o HOF: 146.59 PED
TT return w/ HOF: 683.96 PED
Return after MU (w/o HOF): 170.70 PED
Return after MU (w/ HOF): 718.82 PED
Average MU (w/o HOF): 116.44%

Comments: Well folks. It had to happen sooner or later. Planetside returns are finally beginning to stabilize. Still not quite at 90% from recent cycles, and if you count the indoor mining :dunce: my returns are still horrendous. But it's nice to know MA doesn't want me to go completely broke just yet :ahh:.

This run should give you an idea of how awesome planetside mining can be when you minimize MU input. I included the (w/o HOF) stats for reference purposes. Dianthus does wonders for average MU, and it's all over Calypso.

On another note, I decided to try out a radically different dropping strategy this time around. It's nothing complicated (I promise I wasn't doing a figure 8 pattern), just not something I've tried before. I was seeing an amazing hit rate (around 40-50%) for the better part of this run. Though things started to go sour after the HOF :dunce: so I called it quits. Will definitely experiment with this a bit more before I make any conclusions.

Notable Finds:
I70zQ84.png

Profit Margin: +573.34PED

Closing comments: meh. Anyone want to sell me amps below auction MU? :hammer:

Last edited:
Relaxed Calypso exploration

Prologue: Decided to comb around Caly with a small amp and see if I can find any new spots.

Tools used: Emine FS (117% MU), Level 1 Amplifier (L) @ 101%

Run#1 (Calypso)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 309.30
TT return: 215.00 PED (69.51%)
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 312.82 PED
Return after MU: 235.38 (75.24%)
Average MU: 109.48%

Breakdown:
2.85 Typonolic
3.50 Ignisium
15.68 Narc
3.78 Megan
3.15 Maganite
6.50 Gazz
1.69 Sweetstuff
5.10 Dianthus
0.85 Alice
2.28 Lyta Dust
2.40 Duru
0.80 Garcen
2.25 Binary
12.08 Blaus
33.83 Crude
22.64 Lyst
2.35 Growth
14.17 Iron
4.00 Zinc
12.40 Erdorium
5.60 Erionite
19.76 Melchi
4.20 Cumbriz
11.90 Caldorite
19.80 Iolite
1.44 Belkar

Comments: Got my hands on some level 1 Amps @ 101% so I decided this was a good opportunity to explore Calypso a bit more. Unfortunately all the new areas I explored had horrible resources. I sort of expected this, though. In hindsight, using eMine FS for this run was a lousy idea. Higher depth tends to be superior for most of Calypso. I miss my old Terramaster :(. Hit rate was lousy, but I didn't worry too much about since I was only packing a single level 1 amp at almost zero MU.

Profit Margin: -77.44 PED

Closing comments: Seems I may have overstayed my welcome here on Calypso. Will most likely be heading to Arkadia next. Decided to include the resource breakdown this time, since I haven't in a while.

Hilarity Ensues

Prologue: I needed 1 PED of Belk to finish my crafting daily. So I went to Shinook.

Tools used: Emine FS (117% MU)

Run#1 (Calypso)

TT Cost (Probes+Finder Decay): 34.59 PED
TT return: 30.71 PED
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): ~35 PED
Return after MU: 35.60 PED
Average MU: 116%

Breakdown:

10.25 Gazz
12.80 Duru
5.00 Kanerium
2.66 Belkar

Comments: I figured, I only hit Belkar in Shinook. This should take 3-4 drops, max. Nope. Gazz. Gazz. Duru. Duru. Found some fruit. More Gazz. Duru again. Kanerium twice. And then, on my 34th drop, Belkar. If this isn't objective irrefutable proof that this game hates me, I don't know what is :dunce:

On another note, I decided to try out a radically different dropping strategy this time around. It's nothing complicated (I promise I wasn't doing a figure 8 pattern), just not something I've tried before. I was seeing an amazing hit rate (around 40-50%) for the better part of this run. Though things started to go sour after the HOF :dunce: so I called it quits. Will definitely experiment with this a bit more before I make any conclusions.

Hey ZPF, really appreciate you sharing your updates and mining info here. Out of curiosity when you tried out that different dropping strategy, did you by chance adjust/tweak things when you dropped your probe(s) in terms of distance(s); (could be time based to)? Reason I'm asking is because I usually don't 'carpet bomb', and usually follow a different method of how I drop my probes (Planet-side only). Just not sure how you normally do your runs as you're experimenting with a different dropping strategy, and your post brought back the curiosity in me to see if having a different dropping 'pattern' or 'strategy' (call it what ever) affects planet-side mining or not as of current VU. Here is the link if interested:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-Mining-Pics&p=3428902&viewfull=1#post3428902

All the best,
-Vi

Last edited:
Hey ZPF, really appreciate you sharing your updates and mining info here. Out of curiosity when you tried out that different dropping strategy, did you by chance adjust/tweak things when you dropped your probe(s) in terms of distance(s); (could be time based to)? Reason I'm asking is because I usually don't 'carpet bomb', and usually follow a different method of how I drop my probes (Planet-side only). Just not sure how you normally do your runs as you're experimenting with a different dropping strategy, and your post brought back the curiosity in me to see if having a different dropping 'pattern' or 'strategy' (call it what ever) affects planet-side mining or not as of current VU. Here is the link if interested:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-Mining-Pics&p=3428902&viewfull=1#post3428902

All the best,
-Vi

Thanks, was beginning to wonder if all the miners stopped browsing PCF :dunno:

I only carpet bomb if I'm exploring a new area and seeing above average MU.

As far as timing/distance goes, if I'm seeing a poor hit rate or poor MU, I usually increase distance as a method to kill time in hopes of catching a stronger loot wave~

This had nothing to do with my "new" strategy though. It's something far more obvious that I'm sure a lot of miners are already doing. I'm late to the party :dunce:

And when I'm not looking for Belkar?

Prologue: Lost some PED on FOMA. Back on Arkadia. Dropped a few in AU, decent results so I quit while I was ahead; but only including planetside stats for now. Indoor mining is wildly unstable, I don't see a point in logging the results at the moment since I mine indoors very infrequently mostly to speed up skill gains.

Tools used: Emine FS (117% MU), Level 1 Amplifier (L) @ 101%

Run#1 (Arkadia)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 185.57 PED
TT return: 236.24 PED (127%)
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 188.91 PED
Return after MU: 253.05 PED
Average MU: 107.11%

Breakdown:
10.42 Melchi
6.50 Zulax
4.20 Ignisium
9.52 Caldorite
2.47 Lyta
1.80 Lotium
8.89 Lyst
4.00 Pel
3.20 Acid
3.60 Cumbriz
7.50 Yuler
15.08 Ares
1.95 Cave
1.80 Energized
5.00 Garcen
1.56 Solis
3.60 Erionite
3.00 Ospra
8.25 Oil
2.53 Sweestuff
11.94 Veda
2.50 Angelic
0.94 Growth
5.25 Typo
1.96 Nexus
3.30 Terrudite
4.20 Telf
101.28 Belkar

Comments: Very disappointing run. Average MU was depressing. I hit multiple servers with no luck so I called it quits early. Can't catch a decent wave for my life. The only saving grace here is that I was only using a level 1 amp. Starting to get suspicious of this eMine FS. TT return was lousy for the most part so I decided to log out for an hour or so. Came back to complete and utter darkness (ty Mindark), and within 60 seconds hit this little global:

Notable Finds:
zqPmuvm.jpg

So this is what happens when I'm NOT looking for Belkar.
I think MA is reading this log and screwing with me.
:laugh:
:scratch2:
:mad:

Profit Margin: +64.14 PED

Closing comments: Need to find a way to keep average MU more consistent. TT returns have still not recovered either, but planetside-only return is creeping closer to 90%. I need to do a better job with my tracking, but losing my motivation with mining lately. I really don't want to hunt, not until the economy on Arkadia starts providing some liquidity. And I despise hunting on Calypso. I don't see crafting being profitable at my level (or any time soon) either. :dunno:

I have some questions :)

As Andy noticed you tend to change servers during run.
Are you double bombing? (ore/enmatter)
You carpet bombing?
overlapping? I mean you drop over another drop?
You always going with amp?
You mine for random minerals or you make a plan about what are you looking for?

I'm wondering, because I have some strategies and tweaks about all the above myself. Depending where I'm going to mine, what ore's I'm looking and what my wallet dictates me.

for example
I may drop only 1 kind of drops (ore or enmatter),
FOMA - HELL I'm going unamped most of the times (not all),
planet side I never do extend "carpet bombing".
Most of the times I know where is my minerals that I'm looking for and bombing only there etc
ooh! and last one I NEVER change server or at least I try not to, in purpose.

PS. I also making some breaks between a run, sometimes it's magical thing :eureka:
shhhhsss enough disclosures lol

Last edited:
I have some questions :)

As Andy noticed you tend to change servers during run.
Are you double bombing? (ore/enmatter)
You carpet bombing?
overlapping? I mean you drop over another drop?
You always going with amp?
You mine for random minerals or you make a plan about what are you looking for?

I'm wondering, because I have some strategies and tweaks about all the above myself. Depending where I'm going to mine, what ore's I'm looking and what my wallet dictates me.

for example
I may drop only 1 kind of drops (ore or enmatter),
FOMA - HELL I'm going unamped most of the times (not all),
planet side I never do extend "carpet bombing".
Most of the times I know where is my minerals that I'm looking for and bombing only there etc
ooh! and last one I NEVER change server or at least I try not to, in purpose.

PS. I also making some breaks between a run, sometimes it's magical thing :eureka:
shhhhsss enough disclosures lol

Hey thanks for your comments :cool:

I only double bomb in strong MU areas (but these are rare and time-sensitive). In my last run I was exploring a couple of shitty areas on Ark, I won't be going back :dunce:

In many areas I single bomb (but I don't like to give away too many details). But even so, sometimes the timing is just wrong, and you hit all garbage... can't be helped I suppose.

I don't overlap. And yes, usually going in amped in my "good areas", but when I'm not confident, I will go unamped or a very small/cheap amp like level 1, and then switch to a bigger amp if the area is strong.

I really don't like unamped because it slows down skill gains too much. If I can find a small amp at very low MU I will always use it.

I always have a plan (unless exploring), I know what I want to find, but I don't always find it :dunce:. Maybe I need more depth, or it's just bad luck.

How has staying in one server worked out for you? How long do you stay?

I never had luck with that TBH. In fact all my biggest HOFs happened within a couple minutes of changing to a new server :laugh: But maybe it's just coincidence...

And you're smart to go unamped in HELL/etc... I used to do that and that's when I saw the most consistent results because it let me do many more drops

Last edited:
Very interesting log!
In fact it's so interesting that i'm tempted to try some serious mining. Hope I can withstand that urge... :laugh:

The best thing is those commentaries after each run.
Takeaway truth - wanna make an interesting log add comments. Describe what u tried to do and why u think u got the results u got, in the end.

+rep well deserved... duh can't yet, just gave u -rep recently lol

Very interesting log!
In fact it's so interesting that i'm tempted to try some serious mining. Hope I can withstand that urge... :laugh:

The best thing is those commentaries after each run.
Takeaway truth - wanna make an interesting log add comments. Describe what u tried to do and why u think u got the results u got, in the end.

+rep well deserved... duh can't yet, just gave u -rep recently lol

Thanks m8 always happy to hear someone enjoyed the log ;)

Why resist the urge? Just start off unamped and see how you do. But I won't lie, it's rough out here for miners right now :broke:

If you have any mining theories you want to discuss feel free to post them here or PM me in game!

Prologue: Exciting day. Started off with some losses in AU (~200 PED, :censored:) that I won't include in the log. Logged off for a good while after that before starting the below run. Planetside returns have finally stabilized it seems :)bowdown:). More details in the comments below.

Tools used: Emine FS (117% MU), D Class Amplifier (L) @ 105.62%

Run#1 (Arkadia)

TT Cost (Probes+Amp Decay+Finder Decay): 268.43 PED
TT return: 827.52 PED (308.28%)
TT return w/o globals: 206.36 PED
Cost(with MU, Drill decay): 280.93 PED
Return after MU (w/o globals): 259.04 PED
Return after MU (total): 886.41 PED
Average MU: 107.11%
Average MU (w/o globals): 125.53%

Comments: So we started off slow. Unamped. Hit one of my ~ok~ spots. No dice. Average MU was decent, but not worth amping for. Hopped over to my next favorite server. Did some single dropping. Was doing great unamped at first. But when I tossed on the D-class, I started hitting garbage. I've concluded that certain high value resources (not talking about Ruga/Zand/Trid/etc) are simply much harder (or impossible) to find with something as large as a D-class, though I may be jumping the gun. I most likely won't be using D-class planetside anymore, except in a few key spots.

I hopped off that server because I didn't have the energy for a drawn out unamped run. Within ~10-15 min of landing in the desert, on my very last drop (I was this close to not even dropping it), voila! See below.

I also managed to catch two brief (so... brief :eyecrazy:) waves of very high MU resources by hopping around (hence the amazing average MU @125%), and hit a global and a hof while I was at it. Don't let anyone tell you server hoppin' ain't worth it :smoke:

Notable Finds:

8NHiTb2.png

peflCRU.png

Also, it appears I'm temporarily in the top 8% of miners, wonder how long that will last :rolleyes:

PLSxT4S.png

(hit a smaller 60 PED global on this run as well, but I've spammed your face with enough pictures as it is)

Profit Margin: +605.48 PED

Closing comments: Maybe I won't give up on mining just yet. It's extremely time consuming though; I may take a break soon. I'm still looking for a crafting mentor! I want my free armor :mad:

Last edited:
Back