Where do I go from here?

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
I'm looking for some advice on the optimal direction to take at this point in my hunting skill progression.

After chipping out completely years ago, I've been slowly working my way back with the goal of getting to lvl 100 in Laser Pistoleer (Hit) and Ranged Laser (Dmg) so I could chase my dream of eventually buying and maxing a Mod Merc. I am now up to lvl 79 hit, but as usual my dmg is far behind at 66, and just fyi my Laser Sniper(Hit) is 56.

I'm currently using a T8.4 Ranked Scorpion with an oc204 amp. I really like this set up a lot and its great dps and dpp for mid level mobs, but it feels under powered for some bigger mobs I want to hunt unless I have it fully loaded with enhancers, and those are an expensive habit.

I was recently thinking of trading up to a higher dps ul sib pistol, but there is not a lot out there that I can get into and max at my level, especially with my dmg level being so low. There are some I can get into skill wise, but they are rare and very expensive and most are older and have ~2.8 dpp, looking at entropedia, at my level a mod merc is around 2.8 dpp anyway, so I was wondering if maybe I should just get one of those now and be done with it because it will only get better as I skill up.

I was also considering buying an ul sib rifle/carbine and using one of those for a while to skill up to lvl 80 dmg and pick up Kill Strike, and then possibly switch back to some other Laser Pistol at that time and run the rest of the way up to 100 with a higher dps pistol at that point. Or maybe just stay on the Laser Sniper track at that point and get an imk2 or something when I get to 100. The problem is at the levels of my laser sniper I would not necessarily be able to improve my dps from where it is right now so I would be in the same dps boat I am now in with my RS.

I originally started out long blade and was all blp before I chipped out, but I haven't worked on either of those since I have been back regular, so I have barely any skills in those areas.

What would you recommend I do at this point?

TIA

Puny.

You can do it on pennies, and whilst you are doing it, you will either complete it or your subconscious will "pop" into your head a brainwave plan to skill up or do something else.

But yes. Puny. Get shooting :sniper:

I've done it and so can people who've played longer than me.

Already decided what I'm doing when I get out these silly clothes but thats 1st Nov.

Reactions: Mac
I think what you have is what you should use. You could couple the setup with Arson for more dps or even up grade your amp to hc204. But let's realize that no matter what you hunt, you'll want more dps and you'll be enhancing anyway. You're close to a point where you could get limited guns for near tt. That's optimal while you're skilling.

I don't recommend using unmaxed even if it is a mm. Maybe it is just my cycles but I'm seeing a pattern (backed by math) that leads me to believe that I need many more levels to be even break even with my sword and that dpp with a very eco unmaxed weapon is a very small piece of the TT return puzzle. I'll share that in my hunting log at some point.

Puny.

You can do it on pennies, and whilst you are doing it, you will either complete it or your subconscious will "pop" into your head a brainwave plan to skill up or do something else.

But yes. Puny. Get shooting :sniper:

I've done it and so can people who've played longer than me.

Already decided what I'm doing when I get out these silly clothes but thats 1st Nov.

Thanks, I'm at 7k/10k Trox atm, maybe I will look at Punies when I get done with the Trox bronze :laugh:

I think what you have is what you should use. You could couple the setup with Arson for more dps or even up grade your amp to hc204. But let's realize that no matter what you hunt, you'll want more dps and you'll be enhancing anyway. You're close to a point where you could get limited guns for near tt. That's optimal while you're skilling.

I don't recommend using unmaxed even if it is a mm. Maybe it is just my cycles but I'm seeing a pattern (backed by math) that leads me to believe that I need many more levels to be even break even with my sword and that dpp with a very eco unmaxed weapon is a very small piece of the TT return puzzle. I'll share that in my hunting log at some point.

Thanks, I forgot to mention I have a T3.8 arson chip I use for big stuff, it helps a lot and it's fun! :) I'm currently lvl 49 pyro dmg and 36 pyro hit.

hc204 is too big for a Ranked Scorpion or I would have one on it, but good suggestion. I was thinking if I went up in something bigger than my current pistol then I wouldn't be tempted to use enhancers as much, but you're probably right, its never enough :D

I have been using my LC-240 Recon (L) from the eomon migration for tagging. I have a bunch more in storage that will last a while, but if I decide to focus on Laser Sniper to get to 80 ( KS ) then you make a good suggestion to use L to get there since they are at ~ tt.

I am also not too interested in using anything unmaxed, it was just a thought based on limited options.

Last edited:
U mentioned longboard in past. Taming is back. Have u tried it yet?

When I had 60dps I upgraded to 80dps and felt badass. But soon enough I felt it wasn't enough so got me about 100dps. Then all of a sudden that wasn't enough so I got myself 120dps, which surprise surprise, didn't feel like enough after a while.

If you go down that road you'll end up tieing a fortune in your gear without feeling satisfied, because there is always something bigger out there.

Skillwise I'd suggest staying with laser pistols. You could start working on your damage profession once you're close to 100 in hit. Otherwise it will take you even longer to get there.

Ended up hunting kerbs skilling my lesser skills with my laser crap stuck at 60something. Now I log in once or twice a week to sell shit.

Edit: What I think I'm trying to say is, do whatever you feel is fun and don't make it a job to chase goals.

Last edited:
If you don't already have one, buy the best Ares ring you can afford. It'll help with DPS and skill gains.

the title reminded me of a song from Buffy :laugh:

Where do we go - from here
Why is the path - not clear

Use this time to even out your avatar skills. There's no point reaching your dream of a MM if u don't have the HP, evade etc to match it.

Decide which rifle you want as a tagger with the MM then buy a rifle that will help skill up to the requirements for it. Going all the way to 100 in rifle and HG is a tough job so a good SIB tagger is probably the goal, don't worry if it's BLP, once kill strike kicks in your HG dam/hit will start to even out anyway.

Using a rifle will help hp a little, but to really boost it you should get yourself a blade. Once you have the skills to use a decent blade you can start selling off non-hp blade skills to help the ped card :)

Those rare expensive HGs you have your eye on drop from aurli (I also think the MacMahon Vengeance dropped from a kreltin too) so if you can handle the tax get to CP with your rifle/blade and run through the missions (you can always pull out your pistol if u get swamped and the blade can't handle the situation). At the end of the kreltin&aurli missions you'll have loads of hp and rifle skills (the missions give some great skills to) and you may even get uber lucky and drop a EP-57 or MacMahon Vengeance.

Once CP missions are done get back to handgun and grind like crazy :)

Having briefly scanned your first paragraph, I would advise merely sticking to laser rifle for a while, even out the dmg and hit professions, assuming of course, your Laser Sniper Hit profession is lagging behind also.

Stay with the pistols or it will take forever to reach the LVL100 hit.
If you don´t want to be unbalanced Hit/DMG and LVL100 hit isn´t primary goal, then it could be helpful going with melee for a while.
That will build additional HP what is always helpful, and some of the skill gains help to raise your DMG proffession for laser aswell. That way you balance it.

If you did decide to go with laser sniper for a time, it will still contribute to the laser pistoleer profession, but obviously at much less a rate than for sniper.

The key to reaching Level 100 is patience.

Or deposit 10m PEDs and go hell for leather :D

I am now up to lvl 79 hit, but as usual my dmg is far behind at 66
Yeah, after Commando comes the 7x-lvls blues. Hit has gone so far ahead it seems ur almost there, but when u look at dmg u realize u nowhere near the KS yet.
1st of all, there's no easy way out. It's either have patience or have patience :)
What u should keep in mind thou, the difference between Hit and Dmg is totally normal. At this stage it might seem like a good idea to switch guns and bring Dmg up faster, but don't go there this is a trap. If u serious about your main goal (skilling up to lvl 100) this shortcut gives u nothing.

Then again (like slither also suggested), maybe getting up there as fast as possible does not have to be the most important goal?
Being free and fooling around with all the different toys can be loads of fun. The progress is slower indeed but in the big picture it might be just as smart a strategy as any other. If u compare such an "undisciplined avatar" with some super patient, purposeful avatar who has done nothing but skilled the main profession all the way... the difference in HP and Evade can be staggering. And those 2 things are a definite advantage in the strictly economic sense. EU works in mysterious ways...
:smoke:

To the point above.. my highest Dmg profession is 73 . And I am 49 Evader and 236 hp. So.. yea.. maybe do what costs least but has highest impact. :)

U mentioned longboard in past. Taming is back. Have u tried it yet?

Thanks, but I haven't surfed in a long time, however I do have a lvl 19 Ancient Diakiba that runs around with me while I am grinding ;-)

I was primarily interested in focusing on hunting skills until 100 hit/dmg

I would be more interested in pets if I could use them for tank or dps :)

Last edited:
When I had 60dps I upgraded to 80dps and felt badass. But soon enough I felt it wasn't enough so got me about 100dps. Then all of a sudden that wasn't enough so I got myself 120dps, which surprise surprise, didn't feel like enough after a while.

If you go down that road you'll end up tieing a fortune in your gear without feeling satisfied, because there is always something bigger out there.

Skillwise I'd suggest staying with laser pistols. You could start working on your damage profession once you're close to 100 in hit. Otherwise it will take you even longer to get there.

Ended up hunting kerbs skilling my lesser skills with my laser crap stuck at 60something. Now I log in once or twice a week to sell shit.

Edit: What I think I'm trying to say is, do whatever you feel is fun and don't make it a job to chase goals.

Thanks, I think I get your point. Like others have said, it won't cost me anything to stay where I am at and I am pretty eco and it is quite a flexible set up. I guess I could always buy some bigger Limited pistols when I want to pew pew some big stuff.

As for goals, I ocd about them, I have to be marching toward some goal all the time, gotta have those progress bars progressing you know! :D

If you don't already have one, buy the best Ares ring you can afford. It'll help with DPS and skill gains.

I've been thinking about that, thanks for the suggestion!

I was curious what the progression was for these rings, and approximate prices. I haven't been paying much attention to them, I don't understand yet how the new levels apply or how many there are, referring to "Perfected" etc.

Last edited:
Use this time to even out your avatar skills. There's no point reaching your dream of a MM if u don't have the HP, evade etc to match it.

Decide which rifle you want as a tagger with the MM then buy a rifle that will help skill up to the requirements for it. Going all the way to 100 in rifle and HG is a tough job so a good SIB tagger is probably the goal, don't worry if it's BLP, once kill strike kicks in your HG dam/hit will start to even out anyway.

Using a rifle will help hp a little, but to really boost it you should get yourself a blade. Once you have the skills to use a decent blade you can start selling off non-hp blade skills to help the ped card :)

Those rare expensive HGs you have your eye on drop from aurli (I also think the MacMahon Vengeance dropped from a kreltin too) so if you can handle the tax get to CP with your rifle/blade and run through the missions (you can always pull out your pistol if u get swamped and the blade can't handle the situation). At the end of the kreltin&aurli missions you'll have loads of hp and rifle skills (the missions give some great skills to) and you may even get uber lucky and drop a EP-57 or MacMahon Vengeance.

Once CP missions are done get back to handgun and grind like crazy :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I am at 203 HP and 40 Evade, how much are you thinking I am going to need for those weapons at lvl 100?

I have chipped out completely once when I rage quit years ago, I don't think I will ever do any chipping out again, even if MA pisses me off again :laugh:

I loved CP back in the day. I spent a lot of time there, it was fun having a hanger so I could go whenever I wanted, I miss it and will be back soon. I wanted to get through some evade missions before I went back up. I'll have the trox one done soon so maybe after that. It was always my dream to get an ath or nice item up there, I got neither, I am still waiting for that to happen :)

btw, my current tagger is a t4 FFARR8KM and its pretty decent for long range tagging, but its not sib and its too slow and low dmg to skill with, which was my reason for thinking about picking something else up.

Last edited:
Having briefly scanned your first paragraph, I would advise merely sticking to laser rifle for a while, even out the dmg and hit professions, assuming of course, your Laser Sniper Hit profession is lagging behind also.

Ya, both are, that was what has been concerning me, thus this post.

U need Igni 1100E FTW.

Why? Although a decent pistol, it seems like mostly a sidegrade, not an upgrade?

RS+HF25: 69.1 dps / 2.876 dpp / 37.4m Range / 67 Attacks
L1100E+HF30: 70.7 dps / 2.914 dpp / 30.8 Range / 56 Attacks

+
1.6 dps
.038 dpp

I love my RS fast attacks and range, I know dpp adds up over time, but the 1.6 dps doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

Last edited:
Stay with the pistols or it will take forever to reach the LVL100 hit.
If you don´t want to be unbalanced Hit/DMG and LVL100 hit isn´t primary goal, then it could be helpful going with melee for a while.
That will build additional HP what is always helpful, and some of the skill gains help to raise your DMG proffession for laser aswell. That way you balance it.

Thanks, Yes, I have also been concerned with loss of focus to get to 100 if I go those other routes.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am at 203 HP and 40 Evade, how much are you thinking I am going to need for those weapons at lvl 100?

More is always better :) I'm sure you'll be fine but why have melee combat sat at zero when u can get some easy hp? As for evade, you'll probably want to unlock quickness at 55 as a minimum.

The key to reaching Level 100 is patience.

Or deposit 10m PEDs and go hell for leather :D

Ha, I have more patience now than I used to have, but still...

10m PED is out of the question for me, I still play lotto though, so that might be a possibility in the future :D

Yeah, after Commando comes the 7x-lvls blues. Hit has gone so far ahead it seems ur almost there, but when u look at dmg u realize u nowhere near the KS yet.
1st of all, there's no easy way out. It's either have patience or have patience :)
What u should keep in mind thou, the difference between Hit and Dmg is totally normal. At this stage it might seem like a good idea to switch guns and bring Dmg up faster, but don't go there this is a trap. If u serious about your main goal (skilling up to lvl 100) this shortcut gives u nothing.

Then again (like slither also suggested), maybe getting up there as fast as possible does not have to be the most important goal?
Being free and fooling around with all the different toys can be loads of fun. The progress is slower indeed but in the big picture it might be just as smart a strategy as any other. If u compare such an "undisciplined avatar" with some super patient, purposeful avatar who has done nothing but skilled the main profession all the way... the difference in HP and Evade can be staggering. And those 2 things are a definite advantage in the strictly economic sense. EU works in mysterious ways...
:smoke:

Thanks for the input.

To the point above.. my highest Dmg profession is 73 . And I am 49 Evader and 236 hp. So.. yea.. maybe do what costs least but has highest impact. :)

So the point is, the highest impact is Evade/HP > Dmg?

I seem to do ok with my hp and evade, I just have the feeling of needing more dps often, if its to speed up my grinds or burn down bigger mobs, thus the desire to have bigger weapons that I don't have the skills for yet, I am hearing a common theme of just keep going with what I have and have a little patience, or mix it up some to fill in.

Are you bent on sticking to Calypso? Else I'd suggest to seek out missions anywhere with a skill bonus relevant to you. Especially useful are the repeatable stage 6's on Arkadia. Pick the skill you want to work on and collect the bonus over and over again, e.g. ranged dmg with Riptor. I am currently doing that for my evader. More here:

http://arkadiaforum.com/threads/max-maturity-hunting-excel-sheet.11689/

Edit: Did you grind out Armax and Neconu yet? Both missions give inflict damage.

Last edited:
Back