Question: Why do people mine indoors?

bigdaddy trim

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
bigdaddy longhairedlover trim
So i been playing since 2011-02-17 and last couple of years i found my calling as a miner (so still a noob) and i think i do ok out of it. I hardly ever mine indoors and and rarely use amps. I don't chase hofs, i only mine for MU. Now i have been reading a lot on here how people believe in 90% average comeback that i am inclined to believe too. Also from my own personal loot i also agree finder decay is a factor too. So as title says why do people still indoors? With the low mu on so many ores and emmatters now, the tax, also with extra stuff you have to pay for excavator, transformer and even travel costs if on other planets and auction fees. Surly its not profitable to mine indoor theses days? The only reason i can think of is the following.

1. Using large amps in hope of a ATH
  2. HOF chasing
  3. Mining for orders or to do some large personal crafting
  4. Missions

Am i missing something?

Well for some people mining indoors, amped, is still possible to turn a profit if you're careful and you have a UL mining amp.. It's fairly easy to reach 112-115% average markup indoors or outdoors.

But if they lack knowledge of the better spots outdoors, they're probably better off cycling 40k per week at a 3% profit (indoors) than 10k per week at a 5% profit (outdoors).

It seems impossible to hit a big hof on anything that isn't TT trash anymore, so why fight it?

That being said there are people who mine foma/hell/au with big L amps, and they lose, they lose big... But they'll get their 10k hof out of it.

So i been playing since 2011-02-17 and last couple of years i found my calling as a miner (so still a noob) and i think i do ok out of it. I hardly ever mine indoors and and rarely use amps. I don't chase hofs, i only mine for MU. Now i have been reading a lot on here how people believe in 90% average comeback that i am inclined to believe too. Also from my own personal loot i also agree finder decay is a factor too. So as title says why do people still indoors? With the low mu on so many ores and emmatters now, the tax, also with extra stuff you have to pay for excavator, transformer and even travel costs if on other planets and auction fees. Surly its not profitable to mine indoor theses days? The only reason i can think of is the following.

2. HOF chasing
  4. Missions

Am i missing something?

Nope, you should have faith in your common sense, it's usually correct :laugh:

Why do people craft explosive IV? I'm sure you've figured that out, it's the same as what you're asking.

Mining planetside without an amp has extremely low turnover, and many many players with deep pockets see it as a waste of their precious play time. Amped planetside mining is attractive to some, but it's not good enough for the swirly chasers.

These players are not part of the mainstream economy. Just like 50k explosive projectiles hofs don't really harm or contribute to the economy, neither does a 12k melchi tower.

Based on my experiences.. people like putting their dicks in acid. That's how I affectionately refer to people mining in places like the underground.

5. Gambling

But there can be profitable moments (like Ignisium @200%), in all other cases taxes 3-5% indoors (except Monria) + several % paid for mining amps made indoor almost always not profitable.
Indoor mining also need 5x more turnover than planetside (My planetside turnover is 30-40k/month, so indoor it must be 150-200k for same results).

It's the same as hunting big Trox, or prots. You know they're going to drop TT garbage, yet you hunt them anyways, knowing full well you'll have to turn over 100k in ped before you see a consistent return, at which point you'll have lost 10k anyways because everything you find you TT..

Unless you get a big esi, which is the equivalent of hitting an ignisium tower in AU.

Huge risk for a slight chance at profit.

Well it took me over a year to mine the whole of RT after the Apocalypse and now i can find about 90% of what is to offer there. Heaven know how long it take me to do the same on Caly. When ing was 200% i was making a nice little profit as i knew of area there. With Alt, gold and gazz all planet side, it was good time for me. Now the MU has dropped a bit on them now and i know of one mine that has ing and alt, but also has blua that can be bummer to find.

Most one gamble
but small share going to indoor to save time

The amazing power of density.

Ps. allot of people mine unamped to chase the dream and achieved it, indoor mining shouldn't have to be considered as a place where you should use amps only.

6. Profit :)

Mining planetside without an amp has extremely low turnover, and many many players with deep pockets see it as a waste of their precious play time. Amped planetside mining is attractive to some, but it's not good enough for the swirly chasers.

Exactly what I think.

5. Gambling

But there can be profitable moments (like Ignisium @200%), in all other cases taxes 3-5% indoors (except Monria) + several % paid for mining amps made indoor almost always not profitable.
Indoor mining also need 5x more turnover than planetside (My planetside turnover is 30-40k/month, so indoor it must be 150-200k for same results).

Good point here, Most my indoors tower average at 105-109% MU, but I had 24k Alter@126% and my friend had a 27k Ignisium some months ago in Hell so that help quite a bit.

IMO, UDG,FOMA have too high tax to profit in the long run. I prefer mining indoors untaxed such as on Monria or in Hell with acceptable tax of 2,5%. By experience, I can tell you its still profitable indoors when you aim for highest average MU zone. (LBML is your best friend for this,tracking every claim in every place, just sort out the data per zone on excel and you get the avg MU of each indoors zones!) So at the moment I just have to update the ressource MU on my spreadsheet and I see what place is best to mine.

Add some luck,strategy and a big bankroll. (and no im not using a UL finder or UL amp)

Last edited:
MA must of read this thread as today i went hell to get some Melchi for friend and this happened.

21_35_37_melchiwater5096.jpg

Last edited:
7. Curiosity/fun

Seeing crazy ATH towers from indoor mining over the past years (take a look at ATH tower pics from indoor mining on PCF - most recent one from Slapnuts); see link below. Some people wonder and are curious to go and have a shot at it either amped or unamped just for the sake of having fun. However, I don't recommend this if you don't have deep pockets as your expectations can be easily crushed; big risks with possible big rewards if lucky (roll of the dice). Where's that MU again?

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?278632-108k-ATH

Edit: GZ bigdaddy! Think that's more than enough Melchi for your buddy, lol, and looks like you had some fun obtaining it as well.

Mine well and GL,
Vi

Last edited:
Your question became obsolete!!!!
MA and ND take care of you :laugh:

CONGRATS

Back in the day(+-2007), I did not see any difference between the layout of inside and outside mining, asides for the range decrease. Don't know today though.

Back in the day(+-2007), I did not see any difference between the layout of inside and outside mining, asides for the range decrease. Don't know today though.

Range, size of claim and hitrate. All different.

Rgds

Ace

Range, size of claim and hitrate. All different.
Rgds
Ace

Indoor mining (compared with planetside):
Hitrate: 1:5
Claim size: 5:1
Rares: no <---- huge difference with planetside
Average MU: less due to only common ores/enmatters

Range means almost nothing, average hitrate is 1:5 and thats all

2. HOF chasing
  4. Missions

Am i missing something?

Mining indoors is for players with biger budget. As minig planetside, you get small claims, you keep your self more stable, you can get 70% to 120% tt return from runs, and if your budget is lower, you still are able to continue after 70% and go to 120% which will lead you to the same 95% tt return. Indoors is for biger budget, you tend to loose more but to win more too, lets say it was 70%-120% outdors-planetside, so for indoors it would be 40%-150%, but again, at the same time, you get the chance to get big claims. For example, its nearly imposible to hit an ath outdoors unamped, then again, you have much more chances hiting ath indoors unamped.

Back