Here is the adapted version of this step-by-step guide:
1. You need to install wine-staging, either from your distribution's repository, third-party ppa, playonlinux, etc, or build it yourself. This is necessary because it provides CSMT which happens to workaround a bug in CE2 while also providing a performance boost.
2. Start with a clean wine prefix for EU:
3. In winecfg, enable CSMT in the staging tab and check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in the graphics tab.
$ export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-eu
$ rm -r $WINEPREFIX # Delete everything, just in case
$ winecfg # To bootstrap the wine installation
to install windows fonts and override d3dx9 dlls with windows native ones.
$ winetricks corefonts vcrun2005 d3dx9
5. Install EU with the setup program from the official website, it should go smoothly.
6. You need to change to EU's installation directory before starting the client. Here I use a script to launch the client loader:
7. Start the client loader and let it update the client and download planet contents. Copy
cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Entropia\ Universe && wine bin32/ClientLoader.exe &> $HOME/.entropiauniverse.log
from an existing installation if you don't want to download again.
C:/users/Public/Application Data/entropia universe/public_users_data
8. Uncheck 64-bit client in the settings, and you may also want to try safe mode and disable audio for the first time to minimize the possibilities of hitting bugs.
9. Launch! If all goes well, you should be able to see the login screen and play. Otherwise, check ~/.entropiauniverse.log and see if you can figure out what goes wrong.