Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    ender endermigne migne
    Society
    The White Dots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tirioll View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was pleased to discover that I can play EU on a Mac. I used PlayOnMac, and everything went smoothly with the 16.5.0, but there is one issue. Item icons won't load. When I open my inventory or storage, I see item counts, and on mouse hover I see item name in a tooltip and green corners around the slot, but no image. Saw suggestion to run 64-bit client, but that option is grayed out in my loader.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: The game stopped after running for about an hour saying that it's "Not enough memory" now. I have 16gb on this machine, probably not all of it is available to the game. Is it possible to increase the limit? If not, how can I enable the 64-bit version?
    The icons are usually generated into ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/cache/ and ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/shaders/. Those directories usually get cleared every time Mindark publishes a new version of the ClientLoader. So in case you have files in there try to delete them. What comes to my mind is that Wine or the ClientLoader for some reason doesn't have the permissions to write anything there. The owner of the this directory and all parents should be your logged in Linux-user. Can you check that?

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 4 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:18 /home/endermigne/.wine
    drwxr-xr-x 7 endermigne endermigne 4096 29. Aug 21:41 /home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c
    drwxr-xr-x 5 endermigne endermigne 4096 29. Aug 21:42 /home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData
    drwxr-xr-x 3 endermigne endermigne 4096 29. Aug 21:42 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe'
    drwxr-xr-x 6 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:13 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data'
    drwxr-xr-x 2 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:13 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/cache'
    drwxr-xr-x 2 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:13 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/shaders'
    If I start winetricks I get this:

Code:
    $ winetricks 
    ------------------------------------------------------
    You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
    Does it also say that your WINEPREFIX is 64-bit? If not create a new prefix, make sure it's 64-bit and install EU.
    Last edited by endermigne; 09-27-2019 at 14:43. Reason: added shaders
    A proud Senior member since 6th of May 2008, 01:47a

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Osgard Montbertus MontMontbertus
    Society
    Kaos
    I was pleased to discover that I can play EU on a Mac. I used PlayOnMac, and everything went smoothly with the 16.5.0, but there is one issue. Item icons won't load. When I open my inventory or storage, I see item counts, and on mouse hover I see item name in a tooltip and green corners around the slot, but no image. Saw suggestion to run 64-bit client, but that option is grayed out in my loader.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: The game stopped after running for about an hour saying that it's "Not enough memory" now. I have 16gb on this machine, probably not all of it is available to the game. Is it possible to increase the limit? If not, how can I enable the 64-bit version?
    I have the same issue when using PlayOnMac :/

I would love know a way to make this work on my Mac..

Quote Originally Posted by endermigne View Post
    The icons are usually generated into ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/cache/ and ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/shaders/. Those directories usually get cleared every time Mindark publishes a new version of the ClientLoader. So in case you have files in there try to delete them. What comes to my mind is that Wine or the ClientLoader for some reason doesn't have the permissions to write anything there. The owner of the this directory and all parents should be your logged in Linux-user. Can you check that?

Does it also say that your WINEPREFIX is 64-bit? If not create a new prefix, make sure it's 64-bit and install EU.
    I cleaned the folders you mentioned and restarted the game. Permissions are fine. New files got written to those folders, but item icons are not still not visible.

PlayOnMac script defaults to use 32-bit wine version 3.21. I am not sure how to change this, I will try to search around PlayOnMac community. If anybody has used PlayOnMac or PlayOnLinux, please help.

I changed the PlayOnMac installation script a little bit, and used it with Tools -> Run a local script to get the 64 bit version. Just changed to `POL_System_SetArch "amd64"`, added "64" to TITLE and PREFIX to use different paths, and commented out `POL_GetSetupImages` line. After going through full installation and download, the game is now running in 64 bit mode, which will hopefully fix the memory-related crash.

But unfortunately this did not fix the item icons issue. And I think they are loaded, because when I open inventory for the first time, the progress circle is going, and item counts get added in the grid. I also get a bunch of files in "shaders" folder. But for some reason they don't get displayed.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    ender endermigne migne
    Society
    The White Dots
    Images
    I changed the PlayOnMac installation script a little bit, and used it with Tools -> Run a local script to get the 64 bit version. Just changed to `POL_System_SetArch "amd64"`, added "64" to TITLE and PREFIX to use different paths, and commented out `POL_GetSetupImages` line. After going through full installation and download, the game is now running in 64 bit mode, which will hopefully fix the memory-related crash.

But unfortunately this did not fix the item icons issue. And I think they are loaded, because when I open inventory for the first time, the progress circle is going, and item counts get added in the grid. I also get a bunch of files in "shaders" folder. But for some reason they don't get displayed.
    You're totally lucky, because I had to reinstall EU myself and I decided to look at how POL installs it. I also saw no icons for items and the client trying to render it.

Long story short: they install a d3dcompiler, which seems to break everything. Therefore, get rid of it.

I only install corefonts vcrun2012 d3dx9 (even though I don't know what the fonts should be for)

@everybody: are you hearing sound effects like gunshots? I don't. I just hear background stuff like the wind. Can anyone please enlighten me how I could make that work?

Quote Originally Posted by endermigne View Post
    You're totally lucky, because I had to reinstall EU myself and I decided to look at how POL installs it. I also saw no icons for items and the client trying to render it.

Long story short: they install a d3dcompiler, which seems to break everything. Therefore, get rid of it.

I only install corefonts vcrun2012 d3dx9 (even though I don't know what the fonts should be for)
    No luck... I reinstalled it with "POL_Install_d3dcompiler_43" disabled, and still no icons. Can you make the short story long please? Maybe it will give me some clues.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    ender endermigne migne
    Society
    The White Dots
    Images
    No luck... I reinstalled it with "POL_Install_d3dcompiler_43" disabled, and still no icons. Can you make the short story long please? Maybe it will give me some clues.
    Well, "long story short" was more meant to sum up the time I worked with this problem, not to shorten some context. I mean for some reason the ClientLoader downloaded the 4GB twice (during installation and on first login again), which takes about 30 minutes for me per download. And I did that more than once... :/

So, what you can try now is to install d3dx9 instead of d3dx9_43. The difference seems to be that all versions of d3dx9 get installed including the d3dx9_43. Maybe it already helps to run winetricks d3dx9 without recreating the entire Wine-context. If that doesn't help, well, create a new Wine-context with d3dx9 and without the d3dcompiler (there probably is a faster way with disabling some libraries, but hell, what do I know, there doesn't seem to be a lot of Wine-experts in this world ).

I don't know if you reuse the planet data files as I suggested in this thread. If you do, please try with downloading the entire bit, maybe there is some problem in that area.

My questions:
    • How do I make sound effects work like gunshots, footsteps, mobs, ...? Background stuff like wind does work.
    • Does anyone have a working screenshot function? For me it just generates an empty image in the screenshot directory.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    ender endermigne migne
    Society
    The White Dots
    Images
    As an in-between thing:

Please vote for a subforum just for us in this poll:

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/fo...Technical-quot

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    ender endermigne migne
    Society
    The White Dots
    Images
    Maybe this helps somebody with their problems?

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Wine

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Medb Lefty Lucy
    Society
    Calypso Rescue Team
    Images
    the client finally exits cleanly on debian stable and last year's wine
    .... just one man's opinion

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast