Entropia on Linux

I was pleased to discover that I can play EU on a Mac. I used PlayOnMac, and everything went smoothly with the 16.5.0, but there is one issue. Item icons won't load. When I open my inventory or storage, I see item counts, and on mouse hover I see item name in a tooltip and green corners around the slot, but no image. Saw suggestion to run 64-bit client, but that option is grayed out in my loader.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: The game stopped after running for about an hour saying that it's "Not enough memory" now. I have 16gb on this machine, probably not all of it is available to the game. Is it possible to increase the limit? If not, how can I enable the 64-bit version?

The icons are usually generated into ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/cache/ and ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/shaders/. Those directories usually get cleared every time Mindark publishes a new version of the ClientLoader. So in case you have files in there try to delete them. What comes to my mind is that Wine or the ClientLoader for some reason doesn't have the permissions to write anything there. The owner of the this directory and all parents should be your logged in Linux-user. Can you check that?

Code:
drwxr-xr-x 4 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:18 /home/endermigne/.wine
drwxr-xr-x 7 endermigne endermigne 4096 29. Aug 21:41 /home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c
drwxr-xr-x 5 endermigne endermigne 4096 29. Aug 21:42 /home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData
drwxr-xr-x 3 endermigne endermigne 4096 29. Aug 21:42 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe'
drwxr-xr-x 6 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:13 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data'
drwxr-xr-x 2 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:13 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/cache'
drwxr-xr-x 2 endermigne endermigne 4096 27. Sep 15:13 '/home/endermigne/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/shaders'

If I start winetricks I get this:

Code:
$ winetricks 
------------------------------------------------------
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.

Does it also say that your WINEPREFIX is 64-bit? If not create a new prefix, make sure it's 64-bit and install EU.

Last edited:
I was pleased to discover that I can play EU on a Mac. I used PlayOnMac, and everything went smoothly with the 16.5.0, but there is one issue. Item icons won't load. When I open my inventory or storage, I see item counts, and on mouse hover I see item name in a tooltip and green corners around the slot, but no image. Saw suggestion to run 64-bit client, but that option is grayed out in my loader.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: The game stopped after running for about an hour saying that it's "Not enough memory" now. I have 16gb on this machine, probably not all of it is available to the game. Is it possible to increase the limit? If not, how can I enable the 64-bit version?

I have the same issue when using PlayOnMac :/

I would love know a way to make this work on my Mac..

The icons are usually generated into ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/cache/ and ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/shaders/. Those directories usually get cleared every time Mindark publishes a new version of the ClientLoader. So in case you have files in there try to delete them. What comes to my mind is that Wine or the ClientLoader for some reason doesn't have the permissions to write anything there. The owner of the this directory and all parents should be your logged in Linux-user. Can you check that?

Does it also say that your WINEPREFIX is 64-bit? If not create a new prefix, make sure it's 64-bit and install EU.

I cleaned the folders you mentioned and restarted the game. Permissions are fine. New files got written to those folders, but item icons are not still not visible.

PlayOnMac script defaults to use 32-bit wine version 3.21. I am not sure how to change this, I will try to search around PlayOnMac community. If anybody has used PlayOnMac or PlayOnLinux, please help.

I changed the PlayOnMac installation script a little bit, and used it with Tools -> Run a local script to get the 64 bit version. Just changed to `POL_System_SetArch "amd64"`, added "64" to TITLE and PREFIX to use different paths, and commented out `POL_GetSetupImages` line. After going through full installation and download, the game is now running in 64 bit mode, which will hopefully fix the memory-related crash.

But unfortunately this did not fix the item icons issue. And I think they are loaded, because when I open inventory for the first time, the progress circle is going, and item counts get added in the grid. I also get a bunch of files in "shaders" folder. But for some reason they don't get displayed.

I changed the PlayOnMac installation script a little bit, and used it with Tools -> Run a local script to get the 64 bit version. Just changed to `POL_System_SetArch "amd64"`, added "64" to TITLE and PREFIX to use different paths, and commented out `POL_GetSetupImages` line. After going through full installation and download, the game is now running in 64 bit mode, which will hopefully fix the memory-related crash.

But unfortunately this did not fix the item icons issue. And I think they are loaded, because when I open inventory for the first time, the progress circle is going, and item counts get added in the grid. I also get a bunch of files in "shaders" folder. But for some reason they don't get displayed.

You're totally lucky, because I had to reinstall EU myself and I decided to look at how POL installs it. I also saw no icons for items and the client trying to render it.

Long story short: they install a d3dcompiler, which seems to break everything. Therefore, get rid of it.

I only install corefonts vcrun2012 d3dx9 (even though I don't know what the fonts should be for)

@everybody: are you hearing sound effects like gunshots? I don't. I just hear background stuff like the wind. Can anyone please enlighten me how I could make that work?

You're totally lucky, because I had to reinstall EU myself and I decided to look at how POL installs it. I also saw no icons for items and the client trying to render it.

Long story short: they install a d3dcompiler, which seems to break everything. Therefore, get rid of it.

I only install corefonts vcrun2012 d3dx9 (even though I don't know what the fonts should be for)

No luck... I reinstalled it with "POL_Install_d3dcompiler_43" disabled, and still no icons. Can you make the short story long please? :) Maybe it will give me some clues.

No luck... I reinstalled it with "POL_Install_d3dcompiler_43" disabled, and still no icons. Can you make the short story long please? :) Maybe it will give me some clues.

Well, "long story short" was more meant to sum up the time I worked with this problem, not to shorten some context. I mean for some reason the ClientLoader downloaded the 4GB twice (during installation and on first login again), which takes about 30 minutes for me per download. And I did that more than once... :/

So, what you can try now is to install d3dx9 instead of d3dx9_43. The difference seems to be that all versions of d3dx9 get installed including the d3dx9_43. Maybe it already helps to run winetricks d3dx9 without recreating the entire Wine-context. If that doesn't help, well, create a new Wine-context with d3dx9 and without the d3dcompiler (there probably is a faster way with disabling some libraries, but hell, what do I know, there doesn't seem to be a lot of Wine-experts in this world :D).

I don't know if you reuse the planet data files as I suggested in this thread. If you do, please try with downloading the entire bit, maybe there is some problem in that area.

My questions:
  • How do I make sound effects work like gunshots, footsteps, mobs, ...? Background stuff like wind does work.
  • Does anyone have a working screenshot function? For me it just generates an empty image in the screenshot directory.

the client finally exits cleanly on debian stable and last year's wine :yay:

the client finally exits cleanly on debian stable and last year's wine :yay:

Definitely a planet specific. It exits cleanly on RT/cyrene, and ~80% on caly. Not exits cleanly in space ;)

I hope my video card Zotac GeForce GTX 295 (rev a1) will launch the game after upgrading the engine. It does not support DirectX 11,
but I hope that the OpenGL in my Fedora 29 will try to start the game.

While EU works without doing anything it became terribly slow. After doing this it feels like the speed before:

Code:
$ winetricks d3dx11_42 d3dx11_43

As I still have my audio problems (only hear the background wind and very rarely mobs and the Vivo-healing action) I ran through these libraries again, but they didn't help:

Code:
d3dx10 d3dx10_43 dsound faudio dswave

So if anyone has an opinion here, please let me know. It really is an odd way of playing...

Last edited:
While EU works without doing anything it became terribly slow.
Same. Currently running Manjaro with Wine. GTX 1070 with 440 driver. "Very high" worked smoothly before, but now it's slow.

Same. Currently running Manjaro with Wine. GTX 1070 with 440 driver. "Very high" worked smoothly before, but now it's slow.

Well, install the two DirectX 11 libraries like I did and reply how it works for you. You need to read the entire post... :rolleyes:

This might help you

I had some problems initially when upgrading with everything being black except for the UI.
I managed to get it to run really well by just creating a new wine prefix in lutris and reinstalling it there.
Worked out of the box, no additional tweaks in wine. Now I can run the game on very high with mostly solid 144fps+
I guess the performance increase I got is because now the game can actually use DXVK because of DX11

I am running with these:
WINE: lutris-4.16-x86_64
DXVK: 1.4.6

I had some problems initially when upgrading with everything being black except for the UI.
I managed to get it to run really well by just creating a new wine prefix in lutris and reinstalling it there.
Worked out of the box, no additional tweaks in wine. Now I can run the game on very high with mostly solid 144fps+
I guess the performance increase I got is because now the game can actually use DXVK because of DX11

I am running with these:

Awesomecakes! I'm planning a hardware upgrade and was almost about to concede to.... to... you know what.
:beerchug:

Thanks for the info, dxvk is magic. Did you know the lead developer is already working on porting DX12 too? (source)

:)

I am running with these:

Oh, cool, I didn't know about DXVK. Well, as I play with the plain-wine the packages I need to install now are (pacman is for Arch/Manjaro):

Code:
$ pacman -S wine-staging winetricks lib32-vulkan-icd-loader dxvk-bin wine-mono wine_gecko

Then I also didn't need to fool around with winetricks any more :) Neat. winecfg also showed that the default values seem to look nice.

So it became easier :) Finally...

For installing EU as such go backwards in this thread and you should find it.

@slazor:
  • Do you hear all sound effects like gunshots, mob growls and such?
  • How long does it take for you to load Twin Peaks with scenery and avatars when you TP there? On my machine it takes like a minute.

Code:
$ pacman -S wine-staging winetricks lib32-vulkan-icd-loader dxvk-bin wine-mono wine_gecko
Trying to get this to work. Says dxvk-bin isn't found. I enabled AUR but that didn't make a difference. Interestingly, I found it in add/remove software and was able to "build" it, but I'm a bit of a noob and not sure what that does. Game still runs like crap though. :scratch2:

Edit: Nvm. I was able to get it going using Lutris. Running like buttah now. :)

Last edited:
@slazor:
  • Do you hear all sound effects like gunshots, mob growls and such?
  • How long does it take for you to load Twin Peaks with scenery and avatars when you TP there? On my machine it takes like a minute.

1. I have had the issue with audio missing except for music/background sound before. I don't remember how I solved it back then.
Maybe you should try installing vc2017 through winetricks. It is probably just some component somewhere missing.

2. I have not been there actually since the upgrade but I can test when I get back from work. But all other places I have been have loaded quickly

According to Lutris' site they only install vcrun2012, which didn't produce any different result on my end.

I'm standing at the TP of The MegaVolt and get ~7 FPS with Very High and my GeForce RTX 2060 and Ryzen 7 3700X...

Maybe there's something generally wrong with my Linux configuration :scratch2: Damn it, I'm not a Linux-pro... :(

@slazor:
My first visit now from when it started rendering it took about 15-20 seconds before I stopped seeing any thing new appearing or new players pop in. (
But I do run a Ryzen 9 3900x with a GTX 1080 Ti, so that extra gpu power probably helps.

According to Lutris' site they only install vcrun2012, which didn't produce any different result on my end.

I'm standing at the TP of The MegaVolt and get ~7 FPS with Very High and my GeForce RTX 2060 and Ryzen 7 3700X...

Maybe there's something generally wrong with my Linux configuration :scratch2: Damn it, I'm not a Linux-pro... :(

That install script look pretty old. I would not trust it really. 7 fps sounds pretty bad and it probably is not using DXVK correctly.
I think they started using vc2015 or vc2017 not too long ago

OK, at first I was ready for some cursing because of Lutris, but it turned out to be working. However, it's not that smooth for now. So I installed Lutris, fine. Then:

I couldn't even install EU and only got this in the log:
Waiting on children
Waiting on children
2019-12-07 18:02:00,227: Unable to read stat for process 21107
2019-12-07 18:02:00,228: Unable to read stat for process 21107
All children gone
Exit with returncode 53

I don't know if it's really necessary, but I uninstalled all wine-related packages from my system. So you may need to do that, too, in case the following doesn't work for you.

It seems that their EU-installer needs some fixing as it seems to assume the old installer that didn't have the new DirectX-piece. Therefore, you need to manually download the EU-installer as before:

Code:
$ wget "http://install2.entropiauniverse.com/entropia_universe_setup.exe"

Then, inside Lutris find "Run EXE inside wine prefix" and run the just downloaded file. Once you see the typical Client-Loader you can quit it and run EU with the "Play"-button in Lutris. Now you should be back on the intended Lutris-track and can proceed as you would with a "stand-alone" installation. This means that my latest guide in this thread is still valid with reusing the planet data, no need for manual winetricks and so on.

The result is that I have an obvious graphic boost on Very High-setting (finally!!!) so I guess it's using DXVK properly, it's all quite smooth now. Due to time constraints on my end I couldn't do much in-game for now.

In case anyone cares/wonders, my audio-problems weren't fixed by that. I need to play around with the Lutris-settings, maybe I can make that work, too. There's still hope...

I gave this a shot again. This time I'm using RX 590 (amdgpu) as eGPU connected to my XPS 13 via TB3. Clean prefix with latest wine and only DXVK installed works out of the box. The only issue is that I've been getting flickering texture in the distant terrain since about a year ago. At that time I was using the integrated Intel graphics and Wine's D3D9 translation, so I figured it was possibly some rendering issue with that stack, but the issue persisted now with AMDGPU + DXVK and I'm starting to think this is an issue with EU itself or wine. Did anyone encounter the same issue?

Notice the moire like pattern in the distant terrain, where it renders fine at close distances. Everything else seems to work perfectly though. Another good news is that the waypoint being shown as [] bug was fixed at some point and it shows correctly now.

Sound still doesn't work on 64-bit client, which is strange because I seem to recall it working at some point, or maybe my memory is just wrong. It is also not just flat out no sound, I still get the background wind which is very quiet and occasionally some animal sound does get through, and the music at login screen works perfectly. I tried poking around various settings to no avail so far.

Does anyone actually get working sound with the 64-bit client?

Sound still doesn't work on 64-bit client, which is strange because I seem to recall it working at some point, or maybe my memory is just wrong. It is also not just flat out no sound, I still get the background wind which is very quiet and occasionally some animal sound does get through, and the music at login screen works perfectly. I tried poking around various settings to no avail so far.

Does anyone actually get working sound with the 64-bit client?

Welcome to the club!!! As I'm sure you've read in this thread (yes?), I also have close to no sound. Background wind, I think I can hear the Vivo, but that's it. Please, please do let me know when you fixed it and how!

Highly appreciated!

Surely I will let you know if I manage to get sound working. Playing with 32-bit client is not really an option since it runs out of memory really fast, but at least I mostly mine so having no sound doesn't impact me as much.

Did you ever encounter the graphics glitch (flickering terrain) I posted earlier?

Surely I will let you know if I manage to get sound working. Playing with 32-bit client is not really an option since it runs out of memory really fast, but at least I mostly mine so having no sound doesn't impact me as much.

Did you ever encounter the graphics glitch (flickering terrain) I posted earlier?

I have occasional glitches, but I don't know if they are actually related to Linux. I remember back in my Windows-days it wasn't super smooth/nice neither.

Back